Code of Conduct
    DeepSilence

Question I'm looking for non-sweet fragrances

Hi All
    Maybe i don't know anything about feminine fragrances, but every great fragrances that i tried were sweet! Organza, Collection,... except Shalimar, but it was too dark, near to some masculine fragrances. And D&G The One, but it's wearable for men too IMO.
    what's the point?

I'm looking for very feminine fragrances without sweet/fruity property. Suggestions?

Default Re: I'm looking for non-sweet fragrances

How about Coco or Coco Madamoiselle?Have you tried chypres?This category has so much to offer you!!!
    May you should try green scents ,too!!!Lauren by Ralph Lauren ,Vent Vert by Balmain and Chanel 19
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Good suggestions. Adding Balmain Ivoire, Chanel Cristalle, Molyneux Quartz. I would look in the chypre category in general, Hamid. Although...often chypres do have fruit (lemon, peach), but they're not sweet/fruity in the sense you mean, I think.

How about Hermes Amazone? This is a very dry scent that is not overly floral or sweet. It is a true unisex, as the name implies. (The amazone was the top-hatted and tailcoated woman in riding habit of the 19th century.) I find it a green chypre.

Some have compared this to Givenchy for men, if memory serves.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

You could indeed try cyphres as the others suggested. Some other scents which could work:

Light florals:
    Hermes Hiris
    TDC Bois d'Iris
    L'Artisan La Chasse aux Papillon, La Haie Fleurie
    Hermessence Osmanthe Yunan, Rose Ikebana, Brin de Reglisse (BdR is less feminine)
    The Guerlain Acqua Allegorias (esp. Herba Fresca (very green and fresh), Angelique Lilas)
    Lanvin Rumeur (lily of the valley with a skin musc dry-down)
    Lanvin Arpege (a beautiful aldehydic floral)
    Ormonde Jayne Sampaquita, Osmanthus, Champaca, Frangipani (the last one is a tad sweeter)
    Ormonde Jayne Ta'if if you can bear slight sweetness (Ta'if roses with saffron and dates - a true beauty)

Soft leather with a whisper of flowers:
    Hermes Kelly Caleche
    SL Daim Blond

Dry spices:
    VC&A Les Saisons Automne
    ELdO Putain des Palaces (this has a bit of milkyness to it)

Feminine citrus:
    TDC Bergamote
    Hermes Un Jardin sur le Nil
    Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien (not a personal favourite of mine, it smells artificial to my nose)
    Dior Escale a Portofino (a powdery lemon scent, again smells artificial to me)
    Dior Escale a Pondichery (black tea with citrus, well done)

Salty:
    TDC Sel de Vetiver - a breeze of salty air, very beautifully done
    Last edited by bonsai; 8th September 2010 at 02:26 PM.

As lilybelle and sophi mentioned, the Chypre category is the way to go, the subcategory to choose would be the green-fresh chypre and if possible avoid the fruity chypre (like Chanel's coco mademoiselle or Femme by Rochas). There are many to choose from :

Chanel's Cristalle,
    YSL's Y,
    Diorella,
    Loewe's Aire,
    Dalimix, S.T. Dupont (original for women),
    CdG's Odeur 53
    and so on.

cheers

note: even though YSL's Y is categorized usually as a fruity chypre, the newer formulations render it a solid green fresh chypre fragrance as opposed to the vintage one.

DeepSilence

Thanks All, very helpful. I searched in Chypre category, and i found some familiar fragrances for me, that i can find them.
    would you mind rank these:
    Miss Dior
    Chanel Chance
    Cabotine
    Coco Madamoiselle
    And a Floral Aldehyde: Madame Rochas(Is it sweet?)

DeepSilence

Yes Sophi and Casterpollux, I tried Coco Madamoiselle before. It was ok, but a bit fruity. I don't know how are what i found. I hope those to be lighter than Coco M (Miss Dior, Chance, Cabotine,...) by the experience i found Orientals very soft and feminine. what about Orientals? all of them are sweet?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamid View Post
    Yes Sophi and Casterpollux, I tried Coco Madamoiselle before. It was ok, but a bit fruity. I don't know how are what i found. I hope those to be lighter than Coco M (Miss Dior, Chance, Cabotine,...) by the experience i found Orientals very soft and feminine. what about Orientals? all of them are sweet?
    It seems to me you are not really looking for "non-sweet", just not overly sweet (otherwise you would have classified Shalimar as sweet and would have run a mile from Coco Mademoiselle IMO). There are plenty of orientals and other scents which have just the right amount of sweetness. Some more recommendations:

Jean Patou Sublime
    Rochas Absolu, Byzance, Tocade, Alchimie, Mystere (the last two discontinued)
    Ormonde Jayne Tolu, Orris Noir
    Boucheron Trouble, Jaipur Saphir
    Guerlain Terracotta Voile d'Ete
    VC&A Bois d'Iris, Orchidee Vanilla
    Jil Sander Sensations, Style
    Shiseido (or SL) Feminite du Bois (this has a fruity quality on top of the woods though)
    Fendi Theorema

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    It seems to me you are not really looking for "non-sweet", just not overly sweet (otherwise you would have classified Shalimar as sweet and would have run a mile from Coco Mademoiselle IMO). There are plenty of orientals and other scents which have just the right amount of sweetness. Some more recommendations:

Jean Patou Sublime
    Rochas Absolu, Byzance, Tocade, Alchimie, Mystere (the last two discontinued)
    Ormonde Jayne Tolu, Orris Noir
    Boucheron Trouble, Jaipur Saphir
    Guerlain Terracotta Voile d'Ete
    VC&A Bois d'Iris, Orchidee Vanilla
    Jil Sander Sensations, Style
    Shiseido (or SL) Feminite du Bois (this has a fruity quality on top of the woods though)
    Fendi Theorema
    I didn't get sweetness in Shalimar, i just tried it one time, maybe i'm wrong. Thanks Bonsai, i can find Alchimie yet!!
    And i will test Jaipur Saphir, and Sensations.
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 10th September 2010 at 03:28 PM.

Bandit
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

Hey Hamid! If you are looking for completely and utterly devoid of all things sweet (which I have been, lately) here is my scope of experience. Some of the suggestions posted I find sweet to the point of being over-the-top. Obviously it all depends on what aspects of certain fumes your skin brings out! The best completely non-sweet suggestions I've seen on here are definitely chypres (Mitsouko, seconding Y by YSL, and seconding Bandit.)
    A great non-sweet oriental is Bal a Versailles. Borneo 1834 is a great way to experience a completely unsweetened, unfoodie chocolate. L'Artisan Dzongkha is a really nice boozy, eastern temple incense. Two of my very favorites are Tabac Blond (clove, gasoline, and leather) and Chanel No. 22 edt (liturgical incense and aldehydes.)
    Caron Infini is an unsweetened aldehydic floral I enjoy.