Code of Conduct

Question looking for a spicey oriental

Hy,

I tried

Guerlain Shalimar: the vanilla is a bit dirty much like in Jicky
    Kenzo Amour: boring, rough
    Lauder Amber Ylang Ylang: very smooth, pleasently synthetic, but 1 dimensional
    Lauder Cinnabar: a bit to thick, goes into the right direction though

I'm looking for an oriental that resembles more an oriental marketplace than oriental luxury. Vanilla/amber or sweetness should be subdued, what I'm after is a weired ever changing combination of exotic aromas: cinnamon, dried fruit, coriander, fenugreek, galbanum, immortelle, fennel, pumpkin, fresh fruit, peppermint, raw wool (cashmeran?!) etc. in which nothing should stand out as not to be identifyable as an other notorious "note".

My first guess after above mentioned trials would be -unsniffed- Etat Libre D'Orange Like This. But from it's description it tends towards the clean home bakery for Thanksgiving.

My GF wears Jasmine Et Cigarette in and out since I gave it to her. I would appreciate not to become bored -- help me!

Default Re: looking for a spicey oriental

I highly recommend you try Diptyque's Eau Lente.No vanilla-it has oppoponax in the base instead to give it that warmth.Don't be shocked by the cinnamon on the top;this quickly mellows out on me to a walk through the spice market!

Blog Entries

Serge Luten's Ambre Sultan.

Caravelle Epicee by Frapin.
    Les Nereides Imperial Opoponax.
    Jaipur Homme.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

I loved Les Nereides Oriental Lumpur, but kewart's recommendation of Imperial Opoponax is probably more wearable. Oriental Lumpur really smells like a spice cupboard. Which is awesome! But I don't know how anybody would go about wearing it.

Basenotes Institution

+1 Ambre Sultan
    Opium parfum extrait ! Similiar to Cinnabar but a little better in my humble opinion.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Organza Indecence (Top notes :Patchouli,middle notes
    Plum, Cinnamon base notes:Amber,Musk)..nice oriental woody!
    Kenzo Le parfum :Fragrance Notes: Amber,Patchouli,Benzoin,Incense,Rice,Frangipani,Va nilla..wonderful oriental !
    Last edited by sophi; 12th September 2010 at 07:34 AM.
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Another vote for Ambre Sultan. Always hits the spot for me if I'm in the mood for spicy oriental.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Caron Parfum Sacre
    Caron Montaigne
    SL Arabie, in the market vein
    Fendi Theorema, if you can find it

I'm looking for an oriental that resembles more an oriental marketplace than oriental luxury.
    Serge Lutens: Arabie and El Attarine.

Second for the "Spice King" Opium

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    I highly recommend you try Diptyque's Eau Lente.No vanilla-it has oppoponax in the base instead to give it that warmth.Don't be shocked by the cinnamon on the top;this quickly mellows out on me to a walk through the spice market!
    Thank You all very much,

I've three sample free to get with my next purchase. I'll take the Dip/ Eau Lente, the Lez Nereides Oriental Lumpur (again, never mind wearability). Alas, the Carons won't do it because of being to generic by contemporary standarts (rose etc) - so my GF says. Same with Opium. When I sniffed the Kenzo Amour again today it revealed that infamous woody amber in a sudden. I'm anxious the Lutens will use a lot of it too, what would render it unbearable. The Sultan is not yet on the list.

The SA sprayed me Kenzo Elephant on a blotter, without telling me the name. Big AHA!, exactly to my GF desires - scent wise. When the SA finally named it I realized, ma petite has had used for years, no return. If we only could manage to refill it to an other bottle ...

Maybe I take Like This of ELDO as a third, maybe oriental is an other word for lively comfort? Not at least the fragrance should please me too ;-)

Well agree Ambre Sultan.
    Les Nererides Imperial Opoponax
    Donna Karan Black Cashmere.
    DONNA

Ambre Russe, Aziyade by Parfum d`Empire
    Youth-Dew Amber Nude
    Jungle L'Elephant by Kenzo

Oh,please do report back with your opinion on the Eau Lente.It is truly weird and gorgeous and even though many don't find it wearable,I really think I may have to stock up on it for holiday time.It is quite masculine,which makes it even weirder on me,a petite,fair skinned,blonde female!No matter,I will wear what I love without regard to outside opinions!Also,I think comforting and lively is a perfect description for these fragrances.

Oh,please do report back with your opinion on the Eau Lente.It is truly weird and gorgeous and even though many don't find it wearable,I really think I may have to stock up on it for holiday time.It is quite masculine,which makes it even weirder on me,a petite,fair skinned,blonde female!No matter,I will wear what I love without regard to outside opinions!Also,I think comforting and lively is a perfect description for these fragrances.
    I already own ELDO Nombrile Immense and L'Artisan Patchouly (Patch). The latter brings the herbs and an oriental feel, namely immortelle plus patchouly. But it is very dry, close to austere. The former is lush, the texure soft like a females belly, subdued spicyness, comprises a long lasting crisp whisper of fresh from the patchoulys camphor without being overwhelming. I really would like a combination of both. It would be a perfect counterpart to the exciting, edgy Jasmine Et Cigarette.

Another vote for Ambre Russe!

Opium Pour Femme

I agree on the suggestions for Arabie and Opium.

He already said Opium isn't an option!

Blog Entries

Ambre Sultan is a good choice but very strong.
    A more subtle option might be Caron-Tabac Blond.

Thumbs up Re: looking for a spicey oriental

I personally prefer Oriental Lumpur over Eau Lente. The reason is most probably the emphasized opoponax in the drydown and the less pepppery top. My GF prefers the other way round. I'm not sure what to do. Eau Lente is more refined and balanced, what I would admit right away. It seems to be a matter of taste, as often so.

Both are very spice oriented, but I would like some dried fruit with each of them. Nevertheless, both are some kind of discoveries. I've to see to what will be a week or so later. Thank You.

Ooh,I suspected your lady would like Eau Lente!A huge improvement over Opium,in my mind anyway,and I like both.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Ooh,I suspected your lady would like Eau Lente!

She actually does! She prefers it to some degree. Btw: She never thought of Secretions Magnifique as something vile or gag inducing. Maybe we are just out of normal ... as a male pal seems to be too ... strange things happening ...

Blog Entries

opium
    Amourage Lyric woman
    youth dew

The ultimate spicy fragrance I can think of is Frapin's Caravelle Epicee. It's yummy spices, so don't think of cumin and curry and such, but it's also not an amber vanilla fragrance. It's so good

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Maybe we are just out of normal ... as a male pal seems to be too ... strange things happening ...
    Well,I think we all just enjoy having our minds blown by all these fragrant experiences!If that makes us a little different than more "average" folks,that's fine by me.Who needs normal,anyway?!?!
    The nose wants what it wants!

I agree with everyone on Caravelle Epicee by Frapin.

Also, how about:

Frederic Malle Noir Epices
    Jayne Ormonde Tolu
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Serge Lutens Arabie (makes me feel as if I were at an exotic farmer's market filled with spices; strangely foody)
    Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon

My favorites in this category are PdE Wazamba and Aziyade, and SL El Attarine.