Code of Conduct

Default Have you ever bought an expensive niche fragrance as a gift for a novice?

A basenoter would probably appreciate any nice niche fragrance if they got it as a gift. Even if they don't like the smell, they would at least appreciate the art and would get to know another fragrance - for free! But what about giving an expensive ($200+) niche fragrance to someone who usually don't wear fragrances or think Axe or AdG is good enough. Would they know what they got? Would they notice the quality or just put it away in the drawer because it doens't "smell as good" as their AdG?

Have you ever bought an expensive niche fragrance as a gift for a novice? What was their reactions? Is it like throwing pearls to the pigs? Did they really understood what they got? If I want to give something special to someone special I'm not interested in letting them know how expensive it was, I just want them to really enjoy it and feel they got something special - because they are special.

Default Re: Have you ever bought an expensive niche fragrance as a gift for a novice?

I don't think they would appreciate it. I would get them a different type of gift. A gift with which they would be more familiar, especially if you want to spend $200+.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Default Re: Have you ever bought an expensive niche fragrance as a gift for a novice?

I'm not a true novice but we can play out the scenario and someone can send me a new niche fragrances to see how I'll react
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

But if you're lucky you would have introduced them to a beautiful new world they didn't know exist. Wouldn't that be a wonderful present, worth a lot more than the $200 spent... But I guess it's kind of risky...

Sur la Plage

I bought my husband a bottle of Creed Millesime Imperial as a gift (I didn't pay +$200 though). He had never tried it, but I knew he would like it based on his likes/dislikes. He does consider it special, and better than his other fragrances.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by irrbloss View Post
    But if you're lucky you would have introduced them to a beautiful new world they didn't know exist. Wouldn't that be a wonderful present, worth a lot more than the $200 spent... But I guess it's kind of risky...
    I think it is risky if you expect them to react a certain way, and to appreciate the gift as you would. Have you shared your love of fragrances with this person before--talked to them about it? If so, how did he/she react?
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

I think fragrances are a bad gift. Unless it's a casual gift to someone you know, or a gift to someone who has interest in fragrances. As much as I love fragrances, it's better to get people something they like for the money, perfumes, as a present in the environment I grew up in, translate to: "I didn't know what to get you". Again, as a casual gift to get someone interested in the hobby, or for someone who appreciates perfume it's alright. Just as a gift for their birthday when they're not into perfume, they won't appreciate the perfume as a work of art nor as a gift, for $200 you can really get them something nice that they're actually into.

Blog Entries

If this is for an occasion when a gift is expected, (like a birthday) I'd say you're better off getting them something you are sure they would like, and tuck in a small decant or sample of the fragrance you want to introduce them to.

If they love it, you can give them a full bottle the next time their birthday/Christmas rolls around. And if they didn't like it, very little was lost.

Acually I wasn't thinking of anyone in particular. I'm just planning my christmas shopping in time for once . I find it really hard to find nice gifts even if I know the person very well. E.g. my mother do like fragrances, but she always buy really cheap stuff (like bad copies of designer fragrances). Quantity seems more important than quality to her. We never discuss fragrances, she has only commented my fragrance twice, one time it was A*men (which I used to admire in the past) and then one time Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bvlgari. She doesn't know about my large collection or anything about niche/designer fragrances. My older brother had lots of designer fragrances in his youth and I never understood it back then. Nowdays he wears designer fragrances but isn't fanatic about them.

I purchased a bottle of Silver Mountain Water for my cousin a few years ago as a Christmas present and he really liked it. Based on what he was already using, which were your run of the mill high street store fragrances, I was 90% sure this would be a hit with him and now he blames me for turning him into a Creed fan and making his credit card have a good workout. I daren't tell him about Xerjoff, Amouage etc lmao

I personally do not give fragrances as gift to anyone because everyone's nose is different. I received fragrance as gift before and I did not like the smell but had to wear it to show the appreciation to the one who bought me it and believe me, it was a real torture. Until now, I still consider fragrances from that house bad (the one I received is Acqua di Gio).

Talking about niche, I don't think a novice can appreciate a niche fragrance. I do not consider myself a novice but my nose is not "that" experience either and I haven't come across any niche that I like, some are too insane some are just plain blah.

No, I have not. Not the 200+ range. I did however send an older Penhaligon's scent library to a newbie on here once. It was a rather unique grouping of frags. 6 of the 10 had been discontinued; 3 have since been reissued as limited editions.

Somebody send me something.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Fragrance is so subjective that I wouldn't buy any fragrance for someone else, much less an expensive niche frag (unless of course they told me the name of a specific fragrance that they liked).

I have a friend who likes patchouli, so I gave him Montale Patchouli Leaves for Christmas last year. He loves it. It's not the price point you mentioned, and I've never given such a gift before, but it was a semi-sure thing because I knew what he liked and had a feeling he would be pleased. I'm not sure whether that will get him interested in trying other niche fragrances, but it doesn't really matter.

Other than that, no. It would have to be something I thought would be liked by a person I know very well.

Come on, guys. It's a brilliant idea. Get a scent library of two or three more interesting houses. Think of the hours of fun and changing ideas and fresh outlooks- perfect for a novice. Tom Ford has that great collection of tiny roll-ons. Penhaligon's has the 10-vial tins or the 4-mini boxes. Serge Lutens has the wax cards. Robert Piguet will put together a nice little box of samples (and that's a groovy little house of seriously interesting frags).
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

I've purchased them as gifts, but not for novices. I personally love getting and giving fragrances. But if I'm buying for someone who I suspect wouldn't know the difference between drug store quality and niche, it's definitely something on the lower end.

I take the money I saved on that gift and then go buy myself something good, for being such a clever shopper. Ha!

Yes, gave a few bottles to a niece and it wasn't appreciated. Matter of fact, I asked if she still had them (one was the original version of Dark Rose) and she said her mother has them. Well, at least she's enjoying them!
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

I did JUST that and it worked. Just as we are educated when sampling new goods - you'll be educating THEM to generic vs . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by irrbloss View Post
    Have you ever bought an expensive niche fragrance as a gift for a novice? What was their reactions? Is it like throwing pearls to the pigs? Did they really understood what they got? If I want to give something special to someone special I'm not interested in letting them know how expensive it was, I just want them to really enjoy it and feel they got something special - because they are special.

So far, no, but I would consider buying such gift, provided that this novice shows at least (judging from previous discussions, from professional and spare-time activities etc.) at least a remote interest in perfume- irrespective if niche or not