Code of Conduct

Default Rive Gauche bottles seem underfilled/underweight?

So I did a recent swap with someone on here, and recieved a Rive Gauche bottle that he claimed "seemed quite full". So I open the package and pull out the container, and it had so much juice just bouncing around, I pretty much lost it! It didn't seem full or anywhere near it. In fact, it seemed to be about half full, if even that, judging by the weight and amount of fluid that seemed to move around. The sender tried to convince me that Rive Gauche bottles are oversized, but for a 125 ml bottle, the bottle size seems about right, and it seems as though it rightfully holds about 125 ml, and not much more or less.

Am I being decieved? Should there be so much fluid bouncing around? Or am I wrong? Please let me know. Because I rushed to judgement and pretty much bashed this guy in the trader ratings, but if I was in fact wrong, I need to rectify that situation. Thanx in advance you guys.

Default Re: Rive Gauche bottles seem underfilled/underweight?

All Rive Gauche bottles are like that. I have had two. That was my thought years ago when I received my first one but since I bought it retail and it was cellophane sealed I figured that was just the way they are marketed. Subsequent bottles proved that assessment to be accurate.

I've owned two bottles of Rive Gauche, and they both felt very light, with the juice sloshing around. Don't worry about it. Just because it seems like there's a lot of empty space left in the bottle doesn't mean it's not holding all 120 ml. of the juice. The container itself may be capable of holding like 140 ml., which would explain the extra empty space in the bottle.

Krizia Moods Uomo is another frag that does this. The bottle is bigger than the amount of juice it holds, so it looks like it's only partially full.

Okay. Wow. Gotta do something about the negative rating I gave this guy. Thank you for responding!

Yep. Same here. I thought the same as well. That's how they are.

Wow!!! Well I wish I knew this was the case, cuz man, I went OFF on this guy. lol But as much chatter as RG gets, I am surprised that I never heard about this issue with thier bottles. Very strange...

Larwiz, I recall a thread a year or two ago in which someone asked how to gauge the amount of juice in a bottle of RG. Lots of creative ideas were thrown around. The simple answer is that our minds have been conditioned to expect a certain heft when handling our fragrances, but in fact a substantial fraction of the weight is contributed by the bottle. Not so with aluminum bottles like RG and Montale.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Larwiz, I recall a thread a year or two ago in which someone asked how to gauge the amount of juice in a bottle of RG. Lots of creative ideas were thrown around. The simple answer is that our minds have been conditioned to expect a certain heft when handling our fragrances, but in fact a substantial fraction of the weight is contributed by the bottle. Not so with aluminum bottles like RG and Montale.
    Yeah...I was planning on getting a measuring cup and pouring 125 mls of water into a plastic bag, and comparing the bag with the RG. But, I didn't bother. I may still do it though, just to see.

Glass weighs alot more than tin. Haha.

You could always do it by weighing, assuming you have a postal scale handy and know the weight of a full bottle. For example, a full Montale Black Aoud bottles weighs about 4.1-4.2 ounces, and 6ml of juice weighs roughly .3 ounces. Since postal scales only go out to one decimal place it won't be accurate enough to tell the exact amount, but you should be able to figure roughly 3/4 full, 1/2 full, etc. I'm almost through a bottle, and should know the empty bottle weight then.

Thank goodness I wasn't the only person experiencing this. When I lifted my BNIB RG I was surprised of how light it is.

Oh, just confirming glass weights much, much more than Tin cans. Moreover it is usually thicker that's why you get the illusion of size, especially considering it also breaks light and can give the optical illusion that the juice volume is much bigger than it is.

While I don't have Rive gauche, Putting up My 100ml montale next to one of my bigger bottles such as Body Kouros already makes my montale seeming to have 2/3 of the juice, even half once I shake it and realize it's not filled to the top, and I got them from a reputable retailer in the middle east.

I feel bad for the guy, Rive Gauche isn't that expensive and, doubt he'd risk his feedback for 1 or 2 extra dollars.

I've dealt many with the person for whom you've left the negative feedback. He's an honest person. Fortunately, the system lets you retract feedback and resubmit. You should do so ASAP.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    AbdesSalaam Attar, Naomi Goodsir, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, L'Atelier de Givenchy, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse, by Kilian, and Oliver & Co. splits.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Strifeknot, I went to my comment and didn't see any options to edit or delete my comment. I was only able to "report bad rating", which I did earlier, with explanation.

Love Rive Gauche. But that's why I hate a bottle you can't see through.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 10th September 2010 at 04:17 AM.

Larwiz, the previous feedback system allowed for the editing/removal of feedback. I didn't realize it was no longer possible to do this yourself. Hope you get it rectified.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    AbdesSalaam Attar, Naomi Goodsir, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, L'Atelier de Givenchy, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse, by Kilian, and Oliver & Co. splits.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Sigh of relief!