Code of Conduct
    AromiErotici

Default Done selling on ebay for good.

How is it that, as a seller on ebay, you are literally at the mercy of unscrupulous buyers? To buy on ebay, you're protected by paypal...even if it takes awhile to get refunded.

To sell however, the threats of negative feedback are always there and you can't post negative back for the buyer? WTF is that?

I've been transacting there since 06, but now I will close my account. A buyer threatens me from the very morning I shipped their item and once they decided they couldn't win the dispute as I involved paypal, they pull out of the dispute in order to leave me negative feedback.

They got the item, wanted a refund while keeping said item and tarnished my rep with feedback they threatened me with all along......and I have to take that shit?

Ebay can kiss my dego ass.

Default Re: Done selling on ebay for good.

I'm sorry AromiErotici, that sounds so unfair. I've only been a buyer, never a seller. But I don't think I'd want to be a seller with that sort of policy.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Yup. Nasty folks out there Aromi. And the curent eBay feedback system allows them to demo that fact.

On the other side for me was the seller years ago who sent me a bottle of Green Frich Tweed instead of the advertised and pictured (legit as far as I could tell) Green Irish Tweed. I returned the crap and finally got my money back. But when I left a negative feedback for him he in turn left me my first an only negative feedback, for "not paying"--as if the low-life thief would mail anyone as much as a toothpick without money up front. I was tempted to have a couple of NYC associates locate the slime bucket and pay him a social visit but of course I did not...at least I have no recollection, your honor, of any such action being requested on my part.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Yeah I never intend on selling on eBay. I signed up on Bonanza, and that's the kind of site I would feel comfortable with. Everyone on there is so nice and polite. It's a very nice atmosphere. Check it out if you haven't already!

http://www.bonanza.com/about_us
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I agree... there is so little protection for sellers.

I once listed an autographed vinyl album for sale and was approached by a German chap who insisted he send funds using Bank to bank transfer (my payment option was paypal only). I told him I would rather not, and that paypal has served me well for years as a seller. He then told me that paypal is a wrought, expensive to use, and that if a buyer was ever disgruntled enough, he could claim 100% of his money back AND get to keep the item. I assured him I understood, but reiterated that paypal was the only payment I accepted as I was not comfortable divulging private bank details if I could avoid it.

Well, he bought the item, payed by paypal, and then claimed the item never arrived. He raised a dispute with paypal and escalation with ebay, and, of course got his money back. I refunded the full amount AND sent him a replacement item (I had one vinyl also for my own collection) so as to avoid negative feedback, and lo and behold, I received a one-word response afterward:

"See?".

Sonofa...........!

Buying on ebay is a pleasurable experience, but as a seller the risks are greater. Sorry to hear your story Aromi.

I hate everything about eBay.

Especially Meg Whitman
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

On the other hand, no buyer would dare leave negative feedback if they fear getting a bad review back - how to solve that problem?

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Klute View Post
    On the other hand, no buyer would dare leave negative feedback if they fear getting a bad review back - how to solve that problem?
    Best solution is to stay off the bay altogether.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

It is definitely riskier for sellers but a few practices can help reduce the risks:

As soon as a seller gets bad vibes from a buyer, he can use his prerogative to block their ID. There is nothing to stop the buyer from bidding with another ID but if you suspect it is the same person, report it and eBay will check it out. This offense can get the buyer suspended from eBay.

Follow eBay's guidelines for Seller Protection (US only): https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...ection-outside

Always use Delivery Confirmation or Signature Confirmation (if over $250). If a buyer claims later their item didn't arrive but the DC shows it was scanned on delivery, they can't win the Item Not Received claim with PayPal.

JMO-- Just like not engaging with other drivers to avoid Road Rage, avoid making it personal with the buyer. As soon as it turns personal, it seems some people have to "win". Then the seller generally loses.

My husband sells on eBay from time to time. Right now he may be having an issue with a buyer who obviously bought his item to resell (which is perfectly fine), but then tried to get him to lower his shipping cost to reduce their cost basis (which would lose us money, as we don't make money on shipping, so he explained why he could not reduce it.) Buyer paid but it remains to be seen whether she will give him his first negative feedback or ding his shipping stars. If she does, she will be blocked from future purchases, but the damage will be done.

But he won't quit selling on eBay even if that happens. It is still a good way to sell off things you don't need anymore, and one has to expect that it won't always be a perfect experience.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 20th October 2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: typo

There are plenty of unscrupulous buyers and sellers on ebay. The feedback system is most certainly flawed and in no way is an improvement on the previous system, when sellers could leave negative feedback for buyers. Back then sellers would use it as a tactic to coerce buyers into not leaving negative feedback for them. I've been a victim of this coercion.
    Now as a buyer, I feel more in control but as a seller, I am completely at the mercy of the buyer.

Though the feedback system is inadequate, I can't think of an alternative that could maintain an equilibrium of power between both the parties. Maybe, the feedback as a buyer and feedback as a seller, should be separated so every ebayer has 2 feedbacks, one as a seller and one as a buyer. That way, if I am buying something from a seller who has a bad, buyer feedback, I won't be perturbed. At the same time, sellers will have their freedom to actually release vent towards dishonest buyers. Even if some sellers are using it in retribution, atleast the ebayer (buyer) can maintain good feedback if he turns a seller.

Confusing, I know but I can't think of anything else, yet.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

gupts, the quickest solution is to have separate buying and selling IDs.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    gupts, the quickest solution is to have separate buying and selling IDs.
    Well having separate id's would have worked when sellers had the power to leave negative feedback for the buyers.

Since, currently the seller cannot leave ANY negative feedback for a buyer who's blackmailing him, how does having 2 id's tackle the problem? As a buyer you cannot get an -ve feedback and as a seller you still can and that will prevail even if you have a separate selling id.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Yes, I was thinking back to when sellers could still leave negatives.

Hubby and I each have 2 IDs; my second one is for posting rather than selling, but it still keeps things said on discussion boards from affecting my ability to buy, as sellers sometimes block other posters from buying if they state views opposing their own. Although, truth be told, I rarely post there any more. It got to be the same thing over and over.

AromiErotici

I'll stay angry at this for awhile, but will still kill my account there in the next week so I can wrap up a few deals still ongoing. Regardless of whether they ever figure out a way to appease buyers and sellers, I'll not be held over a barrel in the meantime.

I'll come up with another way to unload bottles, decants, etc.....

I'll come up with another way to unload bottles, decants, etc.....
    What about wikisplits?