Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking to start a decent wardrobe, could use some help

So, I'm pretty new to the idea of really thinking about my colognes. Before, I would grab something semi-cheap that my girlfriend thought smelled good. I suppose I chose decently, because I would often get compliments, from that perfect, semi-close distance at the furthest, that only some colognes seem to capture people from, without being overbearing. Anyway, my history of colognes feels somewhat unimpressive, looking back...I'd like to add some diversity to my wardrobe.

A bit about my taste in/history with colognes: I like things to not be overwhelming, from a distance. I like a scent that's personal, i.e. you have to be talking distance at furthest to smell it, if not just a smidge closer. My go-to's when I was younger were Drakkar Noir, Davidoff's Cool Water, Adidas' something-or-other, Antonio Banderas' Blue, I've even used Jay-Z's Rocawear IX(I don't think I'm a huge fan of the celebrity lines)..I think I had a Lucky scent, but I was so-so on it. I'm sure I forget a few, as well. I like a confident scent that will leave a lasting impression.

A bit about me: I'm mid-twenties, live pretty young but I like a nice mature scent sometimes, too. I had a steady girlfriend for about 6 1/2 years...as I said, I would be conscious about my scent, but didn't try too hard. I've been single again for about a year and a half now, dated a few girls but nothing serious. I'm trying to get back into the social scene a little more, is where this is going.

So, one of my first necessities would be a sociable, vibrant scent. Also, I'm in need of something good for once I find a specific girl that I'm interested in, and obviously this may vary based on her personality. I'd like something romantic, I'm thinking Armani Code for this, based on things I've read. I'd also like something a bit more relaxed, I'm not too sure about this or the vibrant, sociable(i.e. for parties) one. And, finally, any good all-purpose colognes(i.e. non-party social situations, casual scents, quick spritz after exercising before I get to a proper shower, etc.).

I'm really at a loss, as I know nothing much about actual brands, and I'm thinking you lot seem very knowledgeable, so I'm hoping you can help! I heard that Giorgio Armani once said he created fragrances not for them to be noticed, but to be remembered. I like that sentiment, and scents that would fall into that category are a plus! Hopefully something not EXTREMELY common, but I don't want to spend the money for extremely unique either, lol.

A cliff's notes--
    I need recommendations for the following types of colognes:
    **A sociable, vibrant scent that would be good for parties, larger social events, bars, or even concerts(?)
    **A memorable, more personal/romantic scent(Is Armani Code good here?). Perhaps for first dates, special occasions.
    **A relaxed, but still impressive scent, good for a casual date
    **A few multi-purpose fragrances, i.e. smaller social gatherings, something for "everyday" sort-of use.
    ~Obviously, if anyone feels inclined, even a few season-specific scents would be awesome. Even if as vague as one for Spring/Summer, and one for Fall/Winter.

I know it's a lot, but I don't know where else to start! Thanks in advance for any response. And, if you don't want to get into giving examples for me, any input on good places for samples to explore for something right for me would also be appreciated!

Also: If anyone has any questions that me answering would help narrow it down, ask away! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
    Last edited by DigThatFunk; 16th September 2010 at 09:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking to start a decent wardrobe, could use some help

Hey man, welcome to Basenotes. Bummer about the lack of a GF at the moment. Combine the fragrance suggestions below with pushups and a vibrant personality and you'll be set

Where do you live? You'll get better suggestions where to find the stuff we recommend.

Creed Green Irish Tweed is a big crowd pleaser. Very versatile, can be worn on dates/parties/suits/jeans/spring/summer/fall/winter. You can usually find this at Neiman Marcus, some Bloomingdales, and some Saks. Definitely try this one out, you may hit a lot of your designated targets with it. Don't buy it on ebay - too many fake bottles there.

Burberry London is a great fall/winter scent. Cinnamony, not too loud.

Le Labo Rose 31 is some really sexy stuff. Niche, not very easy to find.

Marc Jacobs Bang is new. Might be a good one to try. I like it but I don't love it. Saw some girls swooning over the scent at Bloomingdales.

Gendarme is a very safe for work scent. It's out of the shower Ivory Soap clean. Nordstrom's often carries this.

YSL Rive Gauche
    is a somewhat more mature scent. It's clean in a "I just got a shave and a haircut at the barbershop" sort of way.

You can get samples of all of these at theperfumedcourt.com
    Last edited by adonis; 16th September 2010 at 12:23 PM.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I second Rive Gauche and Burberry London.

A third on the Rive Gauche....but go lightly....it can turn overwhelming if overapplied.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

Un profumo affettuoso

My recommendations for the following types of colognes:

**A sociable, vibrant scent that would be good for parties, larger social events, bars, or even concerts(?) -
    Essenza Di Zegna/Fuel for Life Men

**A memorable, more personal/romantic scent: Perhaps for first dates, special occasions.
    Krizia Uomo/Lolita Lempica au masculin

**A relaxed, but still impressive scent, good for a casual date: Nautica Voyage

**A few multi-purpose fragrances, i.e. smaller social gatherings, something for "everyday" sort-of use. :
    Dior Eau Sauvage/Eau de Guerlain/New York by Patricia de Nicolai

Spring summer: Cool Water/Cologne Thierry Mugler
    Fall/Winter: 1740 Marquis de Sade (Histores de parfum) or Comme des Garcons 2 man

Have fun building-up your wardrobe!

Rive Gauche and London are great suggestions, I'd also consider YSL M7, hell, go through everything by the YSL House if you can.

Armani Code is meh, I'd avoid the whole Armani House if you want to be memorable. 2 Good fragrances that are extremely popular, and everything else sucks.

I have a question before I make my suggestion list though: What's your budget per perfume? and are you willing to go niche?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, first of all, thanks a ton for the quick responses! A lot of awesome pointers, and I'm really starting to form a better idea of where to start.

@Ekove: I should have been a little clearer on this I suppose. I don't mind spending a little bit to smell good, but I'm still finishing up college, so I can't exactly spend 125 per cologne. Now, I wouldn't mind perhaps one or two fine, more niche colognes. I'm at least thinking of getting a Creed(found a 2.5 oz Green Irish Tweed for $120 on scentiments), but it may not be my first purchase. I could probably spend around $75ish per 2.5 oz(obviously a little more for a 3.7 or 4 oz) for a few others. But as long as they're not OUTLANDISHLY expensive, feel free to recommend away...gotta spend a little money to be sharp, right? Also, thanks for the heads-up on Code. I had read a couple threads where more than a few basenoters were fawning over it a bit, so that's what made me think it might be alright. I'm really thinking I have to sample anything before committing to a larger bottle, though.

@adonis: I live in the American Midwest(Indiana, central Indiana to be exact. Not the biggest "designer district" lol..I've been looking around the site for a bit though, so I've found a couple online retailers I like---scentiments and theperfumedcourt). Also, luckily I saw a thread about the ebay scams, but good looking out on the heads-up just in case I hadn't!

One I ran across that seemed to have good reviews(I just really like the bottle, lol) was Bvlgari Aqva. Good, no good? Keep up any recommendations guys! Thanks a ton, again!

Post Thanks / Like

Rive Gauche is less than $40 from online retailers. Burberry London is around the same price.

Bvlgari Aqva is more of a summer scent, and fall is right around the corner in your neck of the woods. Wait until April before you consider that one.

You don't have to get more than 1 oz of Green Irish Tweed if you have several scents in your wardrobe. It'll be part of your rotation, so you might wear it only every 4-5 days or so.

Parfum1.com is a really good online retailer

http://www.parfum1.com/green-irish-t...p?itm=CREEGRE1
    Last edited by adonis; 16th September 2010 at 08:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh, yeah, I'm obviously going to be purchasing my fall/winter scents before any spring/summer ones, at this time of year. But, I'm hoping that by the time spring rolls around next year, I'll already have a good selection in my wardrobe. I was looking at some burberry...I'll definitely try London, as it seems well-recommended. I didn't realize Rive Gauche was so low-priced, I might as well just buy it straight out if it's that low. That Armani seems even worse now...they wanted like 60 bucks for a 2.5oz, and that's the cheaper online. I'd rather get a Creed if I'm going to be getting into that range, I suppose.

Also, I can't keep thanking you guys enough! I'm probably going to spend at least a good 40-50 bucks on starting samples alone, but I'm thinking about just grabbing the YSL Rive Gauche and Burberry London straight out, since they come so highly recommended. I'm going to look a little deeper into the Creed recommendations, but I'm thinking the Green Irish Tweed sounds right up my alley, and I'd really like to have one "very nice" fragrance, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by DigThatFunk View Post
    @Ekove: I should have been a little clearer on this I suppose. I don't mind spending a little bit to smell good, but I'm still finishing up college, so I can't exactly spend 125 per cologne. Now, I wouldn't mind perhaps one or two fine, more niche colognes. I'm at least thinking of getting a Creed(found a 2.5 oz Green Irish Tweed for $120 on scentiments), but it may not be my first purchase. I could probably spend around $75ish per 2.5 oz(obviously a little more for a 3.7 or 4 oz) for a few others. But as long as they're not OUTLANDISHLY expensive, feel free to recommend away...gotta spend a little money to be sharp, right? Also, thanks for the heads-up on Code. I had read a couple threads where more than a few basenoters were fawning over it a bit, so that's what made me think it might be alright. I'm really thinking I have to sample anything before committing to a larger bottle, though.
    Armani Code isn't bad, just too popular and generic, I'd give it a 6/10.

Now if you're ready to spend, say $100 on a niche bottle or two, I think I can point you out to a couple.

Tom Ford: Basically it's his designer line, but it's quite good and unique, try Tom Ford Extreme, Grey Vetiver and Black Orchid They'll run you anywhere from $70-$100. If you live in the UK or some places in europe, even his private collection is cheap (goes as low as $110 per bottle), but if you're in North America, it's more like $200 unless you use ebay. Why I like Tom Ford's private blend is not only the quality, but the fact it has very specific fragrances for specific tastes or desires.

L'Artisan: One of the most popular niche houses. a 50ml bottle will run you about $80, $110 if it's one of their EdPs. L'Artisan is a great way to get introduced to the Niche scene, you get a general idea of quality and uniqueness, while still not venturing too far like you would with other houses. I'd recommend L'Eau d'Ambre Extreme, Mure et Musc, Dzing!, Patchouli Patch and Tea for Two

Other good Niche houses to try/sample, but not necessarily purchase for the time being are: Montale, Serge Lutens, Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier. I would say even try Amouage and Frederic Malle, yes the price will give you a minor stroke, but if they're available where you live smelling them is free.

As for Designers, I recommend YSL, Dior and Chanel. Guerlains are awesome, but they all have a classic/old vibe to them, it's a great house to come back to once you've established a basic Wardrobe.

As for Creeds, I'm not a fan, quite a few generic and short lasting fragrances for the price. I honestly don't detect the quality everybody raves about in those. Green Irish Tweed is one of those fragrance that's boring and low quality to my nose. Unless you love it, get something else and buy a bottle of cool water, if you're on a low budget that is. If I were to recommend something by Creed, the only ones I've considered purchasing were Bois du Portugal and Aventus, especially the former. Santal Imperial (or was it Santal Classic?) and original Vetiver are also quite good, but there are better alternatives, some of which are even cheaper, but they're still worth giving a go.

My final tips are, don't rush to buy things, sniff around, a few months from now you'll have many "ok" fragrances you regret purchasing once you have better knowledge. Also, while it seems more economical to buy bigger bottles, Unless you LOVE something and know you'll use it all, buy decants or smaller bottles, it's more economical if you're really getting into this hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    My final tips are, don't rush to buy things, sniff around, a few months from now you'll have many "ok" fragrances you regret purchasing once you have better knowledge. Also, while it seems more economical to buy bigger bottles, Unless you LOVE something and know you'll use it all, buy decants or smaller bottles, it's more economical if you're really getting into this hobby.
    Yeah, I think this was my problem originally. I used to go to a store, smell out something that I liked, and buy a regular bottle. It tends to prevent me from trying too many other scents at a time, and makes it much harder to discover finer colognes, especially ones that probably wouldn't be available at a Macy's, or a Neiman Marcus. Even as I was first discovering this site, I was looking at regular size bottles, not samples or decants. Now that I've discovered the perfumed court, I'll end up with probably a hundred samples, and hopefully 4-5 bottles of good, dependable scents that I(and hopefully, those around me) like. I can be pretty indecisive, so I'm thinking sampling will be a huge help. Plus, it gives me the ability to check out some of these more expensive ones(Looking at Amouage and Frederic Malle samples right now), or harder to get ones, without breaking my (non-existent) bank, lol. I can tell this is going to be an addictive habit, but commanding attention in a subtle way is just SO fun, especially when it makes women swoon over you haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DigThatFunk View Post
    Heh, yeah, I'm obviously going to be purchasing my fall/winter scents before any spring/summer ones, at this time of year. But, I'm hoping that by the time spring rolls around next year, I'll already have a good selection in my wardrobe. I was looking at some burberry...I'll definitely try London, as it seems well-recommended. I didn't realize Rive Gauche was so low-priced, I might as well just buy it straight out if it's that low. That Armani seems even worse now...they wanted like 60 bucks for a 2.5oz, and that's the cheaper online. I'd rather get a Creed if I'm going to be getting into that range, I suppose.

Also, I can't keep thanking you guys enough! I'm probably going to spend at least a good 40-50 bucks on starting samples alone, but I'm thinking about just grabbing the YSL Rive Gauche and Burberry London straight out, since they come so highly recommended. I'm going to look a little deeper into the Creed recommendations, but I'm thinking the Green Irish Tweed sounds right up my alley, and I'd really like to have one "very nice" fragrance, at least.
    Remember to get the black bottle of Rive Gauche. That's the one for men. And like everyone (even the tipsy Aussie chick in the video) says, apply lightly. It'll smell differently in half an hour.

London has supposedly been discontinued, so you'll have a rare scent in your collection. You can still find it online.

As far as samples, get the smallest size possible. If you hate the scent, you're only out a few bucks. If you love the scent, you'll have no problem buying a bottle.