Code of Conduct

Default New and Ready to Smell Good

I am new to the fragrance world outside of the big box stores sell. I am 28 and I am from South Georgia so it is difficult to find anything other than the normal fragrances that all end up smelling similar.

I do have these: Burberry Brit, Burberry Beat, Burberry by Burberry, Cool Water, Marc Jacobs Bang, Eternity, and Polo.

I have these samples: Azzaro Chrome, Burberry Weekend, Lacoste Style in Play, Creed GIT/Himalaya/Alcier Alum/SMW, Sean John Unforgivable, Armani Emporio Black, and Gucci Rush.

I highlighted my favorites to give you an idea.

I would love to try some niche fragrances but I dont know where to begin other than just buying samples blindly. Is there anything I should try?

Also my budget is real low at this time so does anyone know where I can get almost empty bottles? I love samples but I like collecting bottles also, I really want a Creed SMW bottle because I love the way it smells.

Thanks and glad to join.

Levi

Blog Entries

Default Re: New and Ready to Smell Good

Hi ltroupe1, welcome to basenotes! l'm not an expert on any of your fragrances so can't make recommendations, but if you're looking for part-used bottles it is possible to find them on eBay. Good luck!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Hello and welcome. I can't help with recommendations, because our preferences in frags are pretty much polar opposites.

If you're low on the cash right now, there are some options. One good one is online retailers. I have had consistently positive experiences with Scented Monkey, Amazon.com (when Amazon is the seller), and Big Discount Fragrances.

Here is what I do: I log on to the sites, and choose men's fragrances, and sort by prices low to high. Whenever I find something that might interest me for a couple of bucks, I open another browser tab and check out the fragrance pyramid on Basenotes.....then I check the reviews. I will find some reviewers with similar tastes to mine, and if the purchase is cheap enough (just a few dollars) I will go for a blind buy. If it's not that cheap.....I will request a sample from Scented Monkey for a reasonable price.

It's amazing how many excellent, largely unknown fragrances are out there and can be had for next to nothing. It just takes a little homework. Happy researching!
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

Thanks gmmcnair & teardrop. I have an open mind with this right now so my preference now is due to the basic variety I have been exposed to in my area. I appreciate giving me a good starting point gmmccnair!

Quote Originally Posted by gmmcnair View Post
    Here is what I do: I log on to the sites, and choose men's fragrances, and sort by prices low to high. Whenever I find something that might interest me for a couple of bucks, I open another browser tab and check out the fragrance pyramid on Basenotes.....then I check the reviews. I will find some reviewers with similar tastes to mine, and if the purchase is cheap enough (just a few dollars) I will go for a blind buy. If it's not that cheap.....I will request a sample from Scented Monkey for a reasonable price.
    Are Scented Monkey and Big Discount Fragrances reliable for legitimate fragrances that aren't the sample size on their own site?....as opposed to buying off Amazon?

@ taint it sweet

I have shopped with both sites many times, and I've found them to be reliable with legit fragrances....I have never had a problem with living in the USA.

One thing to watch out for with Scented Monkey is the tendency on rare occasions to confuse products that are quite similar in name. I've noticed in these cases that they will give a description for the product that applies to another. I tend to steer clear of those products and order them elsewhere. (For example....on their site, they have Spelling Enterprises Beverly Hills 90210 products confused with Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74