Code of Conduct

Default How do you guys put outfits together?

It may seem like a basic question, but I struggle for instance to pick out a pair of shoes to match what i'm wearing. Normally I will say wear a nice brown belt, and therefore try and pick a nice brown pair of shoes.. where can I learn more about putting decent outfits together for a 24 year old just starting university (with a bit of money behind me)? I obviously don't want to look out of place there but want to look stylish and feel comfortable.

Normally I shop in River Island, Republic, Asos and online. I own a fair few diesel garments as I find they fit quite well (I am very muscular with a small waist).

I normally just wear jeans (River Island super slouch, or G-star jeans). I've been trying to put together a nice outfit and here it is, please let me know what you think. Any advice welcome

Black Grandad top (soulcal/allsaints/similar etc)

Armani Brown leather belt:

Comfortable dark wash jeans (G-star/diesel/River island etc)

Shoes? I'm stumped here guys, ordinarily I only wear trainers but I reckon this would look best with some brown casual leather shoes or boots? What do you think, I have a picture in my mind of what they should look like but can't find anything suitable. here are some ideas I have found:

And to finish the look off, a beautiful sterling silver pendant on a leather necklace:

Current favourites:

1. YSL- La nuit de l'homme
    2. JPG- Le Male
    3. YSL- Body Kouros
    4. Hermes- Terre d'hermes

Default Re: How do you guys put outfits together?

Those clothes look fine to me. I know I'm an old fogey, but jeans and a really nice quality mans proper white shirt in the very best egyptian cotton always look completely fantastic. If you are young and gorgeous, then so much the better. You can get away with anything. Just wear what you feel happiest in, never mind what anyone thinks of you. Be the shepherd and not the sheep.

I'm not very pro all this scruffy malarky and especially the trousers falling down thing. Oldies like me just don't get that one. We call them panty boys. When young men walk down the street holding their trousers up with one hand, they may think everyone is looking at them... and they are actually quite right..... but we are all chortling with mirth.

I'm sure there must be a good reason and we are just old bagginses ..... You don't have to listen to the likes of me..... I'll just go and find my teeth.....

Best system for getting dressed and looking good in the clothes you've selected - in order of priority:

1. What's the weather?
    2. What's the occasion?
    3. What's the usual dress code for this occasion?
    4. What do you have in your wardrobe that works for this?
    5. If you need something new to make it all work, what can you buy that works well for the occasion, and works well with everything else in your wardrobe?

Some rules became rules for a good reason. Match your shoes and belt, for example. Almost everyone agrees that this looks better.

Some of my own rules:

6. Athletic shoes - generally discouraged, unless you're working out or going to a sports event.
    7. I hate long sleeves with short pants.
    8. Never tie a sweater around your neck.
    9. At least a collared shirt for work, and other dressier occasions.
    10. Avoid scuba diving watches if you're not going scuba diving, no matter how expensive the watch is.
    11. You can break any of these rules, but don't be surprised if people look at you funny.

Oh, and top it all off with a good fragrance.

Here's a great shopping tip: If your eye is immediately drawn to a certain brightly-colored tie or shirt, don't buy it. Go at least one shade on the more muted side. You don't want to look like you're trying to bring in ships through a fog.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 11th September 2010 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post

Some of my own rules:

6. Athletic shoes - generally discouraged, unless you're working out or going to a sports event.
    9. At least a collared shirt for work, and other dressier occasions.
    10. Avoid scuba diving watches if you're not going scuba diving, no matter how expensive the watch is.
    11. You can break any of these rules, but don't be surprised if people look at you funny.

Oh, and top it all off with a good fragrance.

Here's a great shopping tip: If your eye is immediately drawn to a certain brightly-colored tie or shirt, don't buy it. Go at least one shade on the more muted side. You don't want to look like you're trying to bring in ships through a fog.
    +1s all around, I picked up those which I agree with the most So sorry for being so un-PC, but trainers with any other outfit aside from gym clothes (let's say paired with jeans?!? heaven forbid), the unfortunate terms "tourist" or "ugly American" just pop into mind (again, I apologize). So many shoe styles out there man, for the ensemble above, the boots would be great...For a contrast, I'd also pair it with a white canvas sneaker (darker shade clothes, white shoes for contrast)...(or again, attention whore that I am haha -- red plimsolls).

I typically will wear a dark shirt with light jeans and a light shirt with dark jeans...nothing too drastic, but just enough that it doesn't look like your outfit is one piece... I don't wear black shoes with brown pants..vice versa. I agree with the watch comments...it's nice to have watches for different occasions.

M. Drop the pendant maan. Save the money and....
    Get some carrot fit indigo jeans from say.., Oi Poloi in Manchester.
    Boots... a nice quality tan leather with a belt to match. And if you've got some cash to spend then get a shorty sheerling jacket of the same sort of colour. As is every year knitware is being pushed but be aware shawl collars have been done to death. keep it slim, neat and smart. Side partings with a quiffy bit if you dare.

Sorry you asked about getting stuff together...
    Basically see what the trends are for the season. Pick stuff that would more than likely suit you (ask a trendy girl mate if poss) and make up an outfit from there. Once an outfit has been got go back to all the bits that you looked twice at, buy 'em and make another one up.., and so on. Dont worry about frags at this stage, wait until your getups are strung together and then go frag hunting to suit. You'll "know" the smell when the kit is on.
    Last edited by Glenos; 5th October 2010 at 11:29 AM.

Your outfit is tasteful and trendy, leaving actually- and I don't say this frequently- very little room for improvement. Your color choices are contemporary yet also neat. You may be interested to experiment with more black outfits or accessories, or, if you wear them frequently, remain constant to this tendency, since black rarely goes out of fashion (of course, I'm not talking about the excessive use of black like in some current subcultures, I just say that black adds a distinctive and non-nonsense touch to almost any outfit).

As for me, I usually wear pretty much the basic stuff- either jeans in quite versatile colors like blue or black (most by Levis, Land's End or GAP), neither too baggy nor too tight, with a T-shirt, a polo-shirt, a dress-shirt- depending on the weather or the usual semi-formal or formal suit, also mostly in dark or neutral colors

The advantage is that these outfits allow quite a variety of combinations, which can be either appropriate and tastefully casual or formal without looking either too common nor too overstated in a tacky manner

Also, as far as accessories are concerned, I like to keep them basic and sparse- for instance, in most cases, I tend to wear black shoes, a black belt, a watch with a black leather strap, a black briefcase/laptop-case and a black wallet, since the versatility and the accessorizing potential of the color black is almost limitless
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 5th October 2010 at 11:56 AM.

I try to dress according to the occasion (work, social, business meeting, etc.)

Otherwise, I try to channel the masculine trend-setters of the past with a dash of eccentricity in the accessories! I am a sartorial maverick, to be sure. I don't follow the GQ "latest" offerings and create my own fashion signatures. And I am NOT a label-monger. I could not care less whose designer name is plastered on my clothing.

Ken, I agree that the colour of black is so versatile. Always elegant.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Hi!
    I would go with straight jeans (G-Star has a nice model) ,long or short shirt ( choose the simple ones,no stripes or squares, from River Island) and a pair of brown shoes.(like from the image below).You can also add a V-neck sweater or a cardigan if is cold.
    This would be one of my option for you going to university.

Not sure if you can see the image?
    Last edited by Ciprian; 5th October 2010 at 05:18 PM.

You seem to have it all worked out based on the choices youve illustrated above.

I think its good to have an outfit that can be versatile too.

here, you need two basic items:

1. A suit jacket or blazer in a *slightly* shiny material.
    2. Dark blue denim straight/skinny cut jeans.

Then you can dress these up or down, depending on the situation...

SO, LETS REVIEW...

A jacket something like this (but mercifully a bit less shiny than this):

And jeans like this:

Can be dressed up with a crisp white shirt:

and slightly pointed shoes:

... or dressed down with this:

and these:

Basenotes Plus

Good pointers from Dimitri above, a well-chosen suit jacket or blazer will up that style factor by a couple of notches. But imo the shine on the jacket is quite a risky option best left to the more savvy.

Some observations:
    Your style is young but your choice of color is a little conservative. What it says: regular guy next door.
    But I understand if you do not wish to draw attention to your beefy physique.

Take a look into your wardrobe and study the color pallette of your tops/bottoms. Any outstanding colors? I know it is the fall season but you don't always have to wear the muted greys, blues & browns. Layer in the pastels and or some bright colors or patterns to add more interesting points about the outfit, and make the outfit pop into the foreground. This can come in the form of a tan jacket or an off-white long sleeves which will contrast rather nicely with your black grandpa shirt.

Alternatively a trendy trilby on your head will add a ton more pizzazz then that pendant from Jersey Shore. Or if you're not the hat-wearing sort, try on a lightweight scarf.

Or how about a dress shirt and a skinny tie? If you're not built like Stallone, this could be a great look.

Black is indeed classic. But black is also safe. And safe can be a little boring. I don't know why so many guys are so afraid of brighter colors. You don't need to go all neon. Just accents will do. Layer a brightly colored or patterned top with something more muted for great effect. I use this approach to get more mileage from my wardrobe without having to do extra shopping... Essentially I'm wearing the same set of clothes but achieving a different look each time. In your case, I'd wear that granddad top over a bright red plaid shirt, throw on a trilby or beanie and... bingo! Good to go!

Have fun experimenting! I know I am.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 11th October 2010 at 05:24 PM.