Code of Conduct

Default tom ford tobacco vanille

tried this today hmmmmm first it smelled to me like honey tea...very sweet...to get to the dry down it took well over an hour...then it smelled like pure vanilla, nothing else...the longevity is crazy - i showered twice and can still smell it stronger then a lot of standard fragrances 1 hour after applying...

i still dont know if its worth buying tough...i am looking for something strong, sexy for clubbing or dating...something that lets you smell like a cooky...but this smells kinda like plain vanilla doesnt it...?

an alternative for the tf tv would be the dior intense....or the oud wood as other tom ford alternative
    Last edited by Nemesis7884; 11th September 2010 at 03:54 PM.

Default Re: tom ford tobacco vanille

I own this and love it. It's by far my favorite cold weather scent. But if your not crazy about it move on, imho the price is to high just to be ok. I honestly don't get lots of compliments with this, but I wear frags I like.
    I post lots from my I phone so if this looks like a text message that's why ( :

It might smell vanilla after a couple of hours, but there's something special about it. It's like a warm, cosy and creamy vanilla with something more (not tobacco) that keeps me sniffing my shirts (it stays even longer on clothes than on the skin).

Its my favourite scent, i get the strong sweet tobacco in the beginning, then the sweet, fruity spices, which is reminiscent of a spice rack, then HOURS later the most sophisticated, warm, sexy vanilla. Great for a date. I only wear it in cold weather though, way too thick for any other season in my opinion. My perfect fragrance. Ticks all the boxes for me. Not as versatile as you might want, not the best daytime scent, but it does what its made for and does it superbly well.

Really? For me I literally get what the name says, Tobacco and Vanilla. Smells like one of those aromatic pipe tobaccos with cookie flavors or whatever. There are more spices in the opening and more vanilla towards the dry down. But it's really 90% tobacco and vanilla throughout it's life. If you love it get it, if you don't, pass. But I doubt you'll find many better sweet tobacco fragrances out there. And the ladies love it by the way, it's sweet and sexy, yet warm and mature.

what do you think of the oud wood as more woody alternative? it also has the vanilla flavour but with come sandalwood

I'm a recent convert to this. I get a little clove, lots of vanilla and a bit of tobacco.

I like it. A bit of a backdoor gourmand to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    And the ladies love it by the way
    Alot. Much more than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis7884 View Post
    what do you think of the oud wood as more woody alternative? it also has the vanilla flavour but with come sandalwood
    Oud Wood is pretty good, but I would say it's a little over-priced as well. It's not as Unique or as well done as Tobacco Vanille, Tabocco Vanilla is simply sweet pipe tobacco with vanilla, that's it, if you like it you like it, if you don't then that's your thing.

Oud wood is just an Oud perfume that's well made. I don't know any better western alternatives, but in the middle eastern market it's very average, I think many people suggest Tom Oud over it, which is actually an interpretation of it sold over Zahras online boutique for a fraction of Oud wood's price. Don't get me wrong, it's good, but so overpriced if you have access to the middle eastern market.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Alot. Much more than I do.
    Haha, there we go, you know I'm right when Dullah agrees with me

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I own this and love it. It's by far my favorite cold weather scent. But if your not crazy about it move on, imho the price is to high just to be ok. I honestly don't get lots of compliments with this, but I wear frags I like.
    I love it too, to make the expensive frags last longer i just spray them on the neck and pass on the wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I'm a recent convert to this. I get a little clove, lots of vanilla and a bit of tobacco.

I like it. A bit of a backdoor gourmand to me.
    I wonder what would happen if we were to mix vintage tabarome with it?

Cool Re: tom ford tobacco vanille

Gentlemen, we've been here before.

And were generally stumped. Though we learned a great deal:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/235...?highlight=rum

****************-

Recently I posted I had an epiphany regarding Creed haters. Rasonable BN'ers who go berserk over
    1. Creed's prices
    2. Creed's marketing hype
    ---and most of all what they perceive as
    3. Creed's poor quality: Mediocre ingredients and stale compositions.

I don't agree about the quality--but now that I've discovered the Tom Ford line and Tobacco Vanille, I do understand.

Some adore it but, for me at least, it doesn't take away the fact that I find it about as well constructed as PI.

Comparing it unfavorably with Sonoma Scent Studios Tabac Aurea is easy--much too easy. The latter works wonders, it's a brilliant composition; but it ain't pipe tobacco (Not that it claims to be! See the reviews)

TV does but for anyone who used to or currently smokes dark vanilla flavored pipe tobacco. One word:NO.

But suggesting an alternative to unsmoked pipe tobacco is difficult.
    So, in the country of the blind the one eyed man is king, for now at least.

*sigh*

I've got to sample: http://www.thegentlemensquarter.com/...p?cid=5&pid=67

Has anyone tried it?

Pax,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 29th September 2010 at 07:02 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I sampled this yesterday. At first, I was taken aback by the huge quantities of honey. I could barely detect any vanilla. I did love the smell of dried tobacco leaves but the honey was waaaay too much. My stomach wasn't reacting too well to such a high dose of cloying sweetness.

It took about 3 hours for the fragrance to mellow but after that it became really delicious, a great blend of tobacco leaves and spicey vanilla (more spice than vanilla).

The fact that I would have to wait 3 hours before I can start enjoying the fragrance ensures that I am not going to invest in a bottle. The price tag is also a deterrent...

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I am a bit underwhelmed by it after several samplings. But there ya go..differences of opinion make for good Basenotes discussions and exciting horse races.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

For me it was two notes (you guessed it, Tobacco and Vanilla) very bi-linear. Certainly very nice, but I can't say by any stretch I loved it. When I tested it for the first time, it was during Christmas season last year. I had a seasonal part-time retail job at the local Mall. When I got back from my break (after sampling it) I got the opionions of about 15-20 different women I worked with on it (on my wrist). While mostly positive, not one really raved about it.

The real deal-breaker for me is the price - if you gave me a bottle for free, sure I would wear it. But I just can't see paying that kind of retail price for a fragrance that has no real "wow" factor for me (or in my experience, the ladies)

Just got hooked up with a big sample of this and had the pleasure of trying it yesterday. Thoughts? Fantastic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post

I've got to sample: http://www.thegentlemensquarter.com/...p?cid=5&pid=67

Has anyone tried it?

Pax,

Mario
    It's very good. If you like the dry bite of Odori Tabacco, but want some of the smooth sweetness of SSS's Tabac Aurea, and even a little extra depth/sweetness/spice/darkness (but nowhere near as vanillic/clove as Tom Ford TV).....TGQ's Black Cavendish Extrait is it.

Quote Originally Posted by irrbloss View Post
    It might smell vanilla after a couple of hours, but there's something special about it. It's like a warm, cosy and creamy vanilla with something more (not tobacco) that keeps me sniffing my shirts (it stays even longer on clothes than on the skin).
    I agree. I had a t shirt I didn't wash (after spilling my sample 5mL vial on myself while wearing it) and it smelled for at least 3 months, until I washed the damn thing. It did smell heavenly as well... If the cost wasn't great I'd definitely have a bottle.

I recently sampled Mauboussin EdP ("women's), and I think it may be what you want. It has the dried fruit and vanilla of TV, but there is no more than a hint or impression of tobacco. Definitely unisex by today's standards.

I find Tobacco Vanille to be quite deceptive. It's the olfactory equivalent of picking someone up - after one too many drinks - you thought they were cute, but sobering up you realize that you were wrong and now you can't get rid of them.

I love TV, but its like anything else, if you wear it too often it will lose its appeal. On me it remains a fairly linear blend of tobacco and vanilla.

Should I plop down 200+ for 3.4 of Tabacco Vanille? I have been pondering this question all weekend and are so close to clicking the order button at the Nordstrom site.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Should I plop down 200+ for 3.4 of Tabacco Vanille? I have been pondering this question all weekend and are so close to clicking the order button at the Nordstrom site.
    Honestly, I would go with the 1.7 for $190 instead of the $260 3.4. This is truly a 2-3 sprays at the most scent and unless you plan on wearing it every day or every other day, a 3.4 will outlive YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    If you can afford it.... go for it! THOSE BOTTLES ARE A MASTERPIECE!

Blog Entries

This is the second fragrance to blow me away. A*Men was the first. What I smell in this is a strong cocoa note right up front, and that goes away within a minute or two. Then a spicy tobacco comes in for a good hour, then the vanilla creeps up and mingles with the tobacco and it creates the most beautiful spicy and sweet mix. The final stage of the drydown is a sweet vanilla with a hint of amber, and hints of "spiced dried fruit". The note description that Tom Ford gives is very, very accurate to what i smell

At first I get a lot of honey and dried fruits over tobacco with a background of vanilla and clove. As it progresses the dried fruits die down and the vanilla gets stronger. I love this fragrance and is purely a cold weather scent IMO. I own the 100 ml so I'll have it in my wardrobe for quite sometime
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

If I didn't know one note of any fragrance, I would know that I love Tobacco Vanille just the way it is from beginning to end. I occasionally layer this with Moss Breches---Delish I just sampled Guerlain Spiriteuse Double Vanille. I much prefer TV over SDV for the deeper honeyed vanilla, longevity and sillage.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

i get the feeling this is a love/hate frgrance but i was blew away when i smelled it for the first time i really wanted it and had to leave the shop before wacking my card in the chip and pin machine lol to this day i havnt been in a shop that i know has this cos i really dnt trust myself

Since I have American Express points to cash in - I am going to order it pretty much it is not going to cost me anything but shipping cost. I am going to go with the 3.4 spray.