Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Well, It Finally Happened. OMG Now What?

Well, it finally happened. I am finding it difficult to find something new that is worthwhile given my olfactory predilections. So, I am throwing out a plea for your help in finding something new in a fragrance for which I can fall in love. Based on my wardrobe have I reached the end of fragrance? Is there nothing left? I seek the wisdom of the Basenotes olfactory gurus. Your help is needed.

Default Re: Well, It Finally Happened. OMG Now What?

Firstly. Don't panic
    This happens to us all, sometimes months will pass before something new comes along to make our noses twitch with delight.
    You develop a zen calm after a while knowing the drow will end.
    DONNA

Basenotes Institution

I am so there, D !
    I am re visiting scents I previously tested ,rejected buying, for whatever reason at the time. Now I want to go Round 2 with them .That helps with the ennui.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

donna255; Good point and well said.

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Firstly. Don't panic
    This happens to us all, sometimes months will pass before something new comes along to make our noses twitch with delight.
    You develop a zen calm after a while knowing the drow will end.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Well, It Finally Happened. OMG Now What?

Mimi Gardenia; Revisiting. Great idea as our tastes evolve. I knew I would get good advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I am so there, D !
    I am re visiting scents I previously tested ,rejected buying, for whatever reason at the time. Now I want to go Round 2 with them .That helps with the ennui.

Time to enjoy what you own...this too shall pass...soon enough you'll be a hound on the scented trail once again!

Blog Entries

ubuandibeme; (LOL) I have been know to bay at the moon occasionally while on a scented trail. (LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Time to enjoy what you own...this too shall pass...soon enough you'll be a hound on the scented trail once again!

Quit looking to buy. Look at what you own and love. There is nothing out there that will pass you by in the next months. In fact, given your affection for the classics, there might be nothing that moves you for a long time. And that is fine. Enjoy your classics, wear them each day with a renewed affection. You can always sample later.

Yo, Tesla!

The best way to accomplish an improved environment is to focus upon the best things about where you currently are until you flood your own vibrational patterns of thought with appreciation, and in that changed vibration, you can then allow the new-and-improved conditions and circumstances to come into your experience.

Check it out. There are many excellent and compelling fragrances out there....vintage, new, whatever.

You'll find 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    ubuandibeme; (LOL) I have been know to bay at the moon occasionally while on a scented trail. (LOL)
    ...so THAT's what I've been hearing...(lol)

Based on your love of Jaipur Homme and your 4 star rating of Prada Amber, I think you should give Amouage Reflection a sniff. It's a love or hate kind of scent, and at this point, I think those are the kind of scents you should be seeking out. Scents that "play it safe" are not going to snap you out of your ennui!

I think a few more Amouage are in order. Many people have compared Jubilation 25 to Mitsouko, so I think you owe it to yourself to give that a sniff. It's an excellent chypre that I feel comfortable wearing, and I don't feel that way about many women's scents. I think you should sniff Opus I and Opus III as well, as they have a very classic feel that I think you would enjoy. While I love Opus II, I don't think, based on your tastes, it would be one you love, but I do think it is excellent so if it sounds interesting to you don't hesitate to sample that, too.

Ubar and Gold Man are others I think you might like from the house of Amouage.

I see you gave 10 Corso Como 4 stars. If you haven't tried it yet, you should really try Olivia Giacobetti's Costes - a great fragrance that has a similar sandalwood/rose/spice vibe to 10CC, although I personally enjoy it much more. I think it is more vibrant and the spices are clearer and more alive. Overall, to my nose, the scent has more dynamism.

The reason I suggested so many Amouage is that they are one of the few modern houses whose fragrances (most of them, anyhow) really have that classic, old-world feel to them. If nothing else, do sample Jubilation 25!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Nick, have you tried the Histoires de Parfums line? This niche line has some unique scents you might try. You can also buy samples and 15 ml minis if you don't want to go full bottle.

And keep in mind those Guerlain Arsene Lupins coming out soon!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Nick, have you tried the Histoires de Parfums line? This niche line has some unique scents you might try. You can also buy samples and 15 ml minis if you don't want to go full bottle.
    Agreed

I so know that feeling. For the past couple of weeks I have been looking at my fragrances thinking "I don't want to wear any of these". Not that I don't like them, I am just not in the right mood, I want something new and something good!

There was also the little fact that I had not tested anything new for a whole two weeks! Not shopping was starting to really irritate me, I was getting withdrawals.

So, I went shopping yesterday, and bought the 'new' Opium edt. Off down the 'female' fragrance aisle I go, the fragrance does not care what sex I am! Opium wipes the floor with anything else I have bought to date, and that is the reformulated version.

Guess sometimes we have to wait awhile to get something good. I did do some revisiting of stuff, to see if I had been fair in my assessments and to smell again 'why' I did not like something.
    Last edited by mill4r4; 16th September 2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling
    "What out, you might get what you're after" Talking Heads

Oh my good God... people on this site have such a good sense of humor!!! I'm really laughing over the responses here.
    Tesla- have you dabbled in all of the 'discontinued classics', F. Millot, etc? That's what got me out of my duldrums. I've also been ordering the parfum version of many scents (like vintage Miss Dior parfum, etc). It's a different experience ,but it really helps me 'learn' where perfume is coming from.
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Last time I "hit the wall" with scents I turned to vintage scents to smell complicated animalics and grand florals. Then a new wave of scents came out...the vintage hunts get me through my need to find something new.

Ah, those vintage delights! I'm with you, Zibeline - that's where I've gone since becoming sated by what's currently on the market.

BUT I found that as my tastes have changed and developed, I've come back to fragrances I already own with a new perspective.
    For example - about 2 years ago I did a U-turn on patchouli and masculine fragrances and now embrace the, wholeheartedly.
    And last year I had an enormous revelation about oakmoss, an ingredient I had previously loathed with a passion. This has meant I can embrace the world of the Chypre. And of course this leads me into the whole scary and occasionally hideously expensive world of Vintage and the eternal hunt on ebay for that bottle of still-perfect extrait at a bargain price.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Telsa, how about the Malle line? or Etat Libre D'orange?

This recently happened to me and I had no choice but to strap myself in with my Chanel no. 19 day after day after day... this week I got a free mini of Shalimar edp and I am experiencing the freshness and wonder of rediscovery...so I guess this is all such wise advice here: shower your tried and trues with love and appreciation, revisit classics or ones you have passed on previously.
    "Let it Be" and magic will happen again when you least expect it.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I looked at your wardrobe and noted that you have a Wish List. Perhaps something from your Wish List merits acquiring for your permanent wardrobe.

I find I am revisiting scents that I thought I hated. My taste is constantly evolving and I find now that I prefer to be challenged a bit by a perfume.
    That said, I do go through periods of perfume ennui where nothing appeals. I think that is pretty normal. Take a break, step away for awhile and revisit with a fresh nose...

They just don't make classics anymore!

+1 to some of the suggestions. Revisit some old ones (re-view). Explore new lines/companies (Breadth). Explore deeper into old lines like ones you hadn't heard of before, rare, discontinued, etc(depth). Explore the same frags you love in different versions (different formulations).
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Un profumo affettuoso

Maybe a trip to Paris could help... - I love rummaging at flee-markets, weird boutiques etc. - and dig out vintages!!!

Address one of the experts at the Maison de Guerlain - I had a talk to one of them during which i was introduced to a couple of scents I didn't know/appreciate before...
    you can also have a tailor-made parfum, of course - but it will cost a small fortune (chez Guerlain, it' about 30.000 Euros, I think)...

I can also recommend the Italian house of Maria Candida Gentile - good stuff! And rare!

Alternatively, you could go to Milano and sniff your way around Profumeria Mazzolari! It's a stupendous place- they will carry stuff you don't know, I am sure!

And, of course, you could design your own fragrance from natural ingredients - or attend a work-shop in Paris and create your own scent.
    Parfums de Nicolai offer such work-shops, but you can also go to Grasse for such a thing.