Code of Conduct

Question Please advise me on Aramis men's collection!

i have recently bought aramis classic, devin and havana, all blindly... i like them a lot and i am very excited about all of them.
    the aramis does not have my desired projection on my skin, but the other two, especially havana, do.
    how does aramis 900 herbal differ from the original aramis and form devin, and is it different enough for to be worth buying?
    also, do you think it is worth buying JHL and new west? is JHL very different than havana? and since i hate all modern aquatic stuff, but i read new west is not like that, should i go for it too?

DeepSilence

Default Re: Please advise me on Aramis men's collection!

I had Aramis 900 many years ago. Maybe i don't remember good, i think it was similar to Aramis Classic but more herbal and green.
    New west is totally different with Devin, classic, and 900. It's nice, light and green. I don't know how is your taste, Personally Classic and 900 are too strong for me. Between these four, i prefer New West, after that, Devin.
    I didn't try Havana and JHL.

New West is worth having. It is somewhat aquatic/ozonic, but with a nice herbaceous bite. Great longevity for this type of frag as well.

Aramis, 900, Devin, JHL, Tuscany, New West, & Havana are all worth trying and possibly owning...

Tuscany is too much lavender for me (not enough "counter point"). Devin is a nice ambery leather but rather simple, so it quickly bores me. I didn't like 900 at all, but I don't know whether it had too much lavender or if there was another reason. Didn't try New West. Aramis has no sweetness and just isn't pleasant to me. Havana is very similar to Montana Parfum d'Homme except that tobacco leaf is substituted for a pine note. The Montana is also soapier, whereas Havana is boozier. I'm not sure which one I prefer (I have the Montana and a decant of Havana). JHL is a "dirty" floral oriental. It has a bit of a soapy quality, but not soapy lavender (more like a spicy soap). It's quite good, but it's not a newbie frag. If you are familiar with women's frags like Cinnabar, Samsara, or Opium, JHL is a "masculine" version of that kind of frag. I think JHL is my favorite of the bunch, but I only wear it once or twice a month, which is true for most of the frags I own.

Sur la Plage

They are all worth owning.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    +1
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

i am familiar with mens Opium, and the longer on the skin, the more uninteresting i found it

Tuscany is a wonderful, warm masculine scent. New West is an amazing aquatic (the only amazing aquatic) with an earthy, clay and vegetation, desertlike base. JHL smells like beer that someone pissed in- Fantastic if you like that sort of thing. The others are not as interesting for me to have strong feelings one way or the other.

Opium, is not an Aramis product. It's YSL.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    +1
    I would stock up as we will not see this high quality across the board in a long time. From the spicy tobacco of Havana to the rich oriental confines of JHL to the dark florals of 900 to the dusty leather of Aramis to the subtle charm of Devin to the simple but just plain great Tuscany to the herbacious water of New West, you can not go wrong with any of these. These 6 frags would complete any man's frag collection.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Strong and antiquated in the bad way...

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

+3...
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Indeed, all of them are great, while Tuscany is, in my opinion, among the best not just from the house of Aramis but also among powerhouse frags in general

+4

what do you think of 'life', 'cool blend', and 'always'?- the one with agassi and graf on the cover

I just bought Cool Blend. I usually go for more "quiet" fragrances and Cool Blend did not disappoint.

+5

I bought them all blind, and now also have back-up bottles of 900 and Devin.

mspa,
    Just as Havana is compared to Montana, JHL to Cinnabar, etc.; 900 can be compared to Clinique's Aromatics Elixir. You'll notice that many Aramis and Estee Lauder (and sister companies) scents happen to be male and female counterparts. 900 has a nice citric opening, has rosewood (some smell rose in it), iris, patchouli, and vetiver among other notes. Very refreshing, herbal, and yet a little indolic (a la Dior Eau Sauvage) *on my skin*.

Although not all are for me to wear, I agree with manicboy and others who say the Aramis line up is a collcetion of high quality and well-blended scents. And true, they range from aquatics all the way to orientals and could (for the right person) represent a complete wardrobe! The current ones in my wardrobe are 900 and Devin. I'm very happy to hear that the re-launch maintained the quality. I do have a back up of 900 in old packaging.

Enjoy!

I used to be gaga for Tuscany. I haven't worn it in several years. This post has made me want to go out and and sniff it again. Happy times.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.