Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Favorite Niche Brands

Mine so far would have to be Amouage, Annick Goutal and Keiko Mecheri, what are some of your favorites?

Also Ormonde Jayne, can't believe I forgot them.
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 4th October 2010 at 10:26 PM.
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

Default Re: Favorite Niche Brands

Amouage
    Frederic Malle
    Serge Lutens
    TF Private Blend
    Montale
    Bond no. 9

Serge Lutens
    Diptyque
    Lorenzo Villoresi
    Santa Maria Novella

Amouage
    MPG
    L'Artisan
    Les Nez
    Humiecki & Graef
    C & S
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

In this order:

1. Amouage
    2. Tom Ford
    3. Frederic Malle
    4. MPG (would be higher if vintage are considered)
    5. Serge Lutens/Montale

You have heard this before: Parfums Nicolaï.

Amouage
    Montale
    Serge Lutens
    Kilian
    Lorenzo Villoresi
    chown -R us ./base

Serge Lutens
    Divine
    Eau d'Italie
    Editions De Parfums Frederic Malle
    Santa Maria Novella
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Serge Lutens
    MPG
    Parfums de Nicolai
    Frederic Malle
    DSH does some fabulous fragrances and not just the oils everyone seems to know.
    Cadolle (so niche they only did one fragrance No9, which is now sadly discontinued)
    DONNA

Frederic Malle
    L'Artisan
    Jalaine
    Parfums D'Orsay (Tilleul!)

Blog Entries

So far;

Montale
    Frederick Malle
    By Kilian
    Profumum
    Yosh
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Sur la Plage

Serge Lutens
    Frederic Malle
    L'Artisan
    Comme des Garcons
    Histoires des Parfums
    Parfums de Nicolai
    Tom Ford Private Blend
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

By "favorite" I mean that I find myself eager to try anything new that is made by:

Annick Goutal
    L'Artisan
    Pacifica
    Diptyque

Basenotes Plus

Serge Lutens
    Annick Goutal
    L'Artisan
    MPG
    Comme des Garcons
    Lorenzo Villoresi
    Parfums de Nicolai
    Diptyque
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Serge Lutens
    Sonoma Scent Studio
    Tauer Perfumes
    L'Artisan
    Parfumerie Generale
    Lorenzo Villoresi

Serge Lutens
    Annick Goutal
    L'Artisan
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Serge Lutens. It's the only niche line I've gotten into. Even though only a handful of SLs agree with me, I feel like I get what the line is about.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 12th September 2010 at 06:37 PM.

I'm always glad to try anything from By Kilian and Parfums de Nicolaï. Of the niche lines I've tried, these two really speak to me.

Annick Goutal
    L'Artisan
    Comme des Garçons
    Dawn Spencer Hurwitz
    The Different Company
    Editions de parfums Frédéric Malle
    Etat Libre d'Orange
    Etro
    Mazzolari
    Ormonde Jayne
    Serge Lutens
    Vero Profumo
    Last edited by tigrushka; 13th September 2010 at 06:46 AM. Reason: added some I forgot
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Un profumo affettuoso

Mine are

1.Histoires de Parfums
    2.Patricia de Nicolai
    3. L'Artisan Parfumeur
    4. Mazzolari (Milano)
    5. Montale
    6. Il Profumo
    7. BOIS
    8. Elternhaus
    9. Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    10.Keiko Mecheri

Would LUBIN count as niche? Just bought their wonderful "IDOLE" some days ago...
    it's an old house, "re-born" some years ago, but not widely available. Just wondering...

Serge Lutens
    Frederic Malle
    Parfumerie Generale
    Comme des Garcons
    By Kilian

...in roughly that order.

There are so many niches houses that I've yet to explore, but of the ones I know I've been consistently impressed by -

Les Parfums de Rosine - Not surprising since I can't ever seem to get my fill of wonderful rose fragrances, but I've sniffed and love almost all of their sublime roses; Rose Kashmirie, Rose d'Eté, Diabolo Rose, Poussiere de Rose, Zephir de Rose and Rose d'Amour are current favorites.

Keiko Mecheri - I adore her fragrances, especially Loukhoum (plus Eau Poudrée and Parfum du Soir), Gourmandises, Attar de Roses, Damascena, White Petals, Ume, Cuir Cordoba, etc...

Lorenzo Villoresi - Teint de Neige alone puts him on my list, and Donna, Alamut, and Dilmun just reinforce the choice.

Ineke - my favorites are Chemical Bonding and Evening Edged in Gold, but I think everything she makes is well-crafted and beautiful (and very affordable!)

Frederic Malle - Lipstick Rose, Une Rose and Iris Poudre are my favorites so far, but I get the feeling that almost everything from this house could end up on my Wish-List.

Ava Luxe - I'm just scratching the surface here, but Pivoine Rose, No. 23 and Ouillet Blanc are the first to come to mind. This is another very affordable line, and Serena's variety and talent seems infinite - thank goodness she's back!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Ormonde Jayne - I love Ormonde Woman, Ormonde Man, Orris Noir, Tolu, Ta'if, Champaca, Sampaquita and Frangipani

Serge Lutens - Love most of his creations.

Etro - So far I have come to love: Dianthus, Shaal Nur, Heliotrope

The Different Company - Jasmin de Nuit is a top favourite, Bois d'Iris, Bergamote, Sel de Vetiver

Then there are those houses from which I only love one or two scents, but those are serious affairs : Keiko Mecheri - Ume, M. Micallef - Gaiac, Parfums de Nicolai - Vanille Tonka, Bois 1920 - Vento di Fiori and Vetiver Ambrato, I Profumi di Firenze - Ambra del Nepal, Le Labo - Labdanum 18, and Isabey for the fabulous Gardenia.

I've tried a lot of niche houses and have favorites from different ones. However, I keep coming back to the following:

The Different Company: Jasmin de Nuit is amazing! I also enjoy Sublime Balkiss in the summer, too.

Jayne Ormonde: Favorites are Ta'if, Champaca, and Woman (in this order).

L'Artisan and Keiko Mecheri have a lot of fun scents. I like Keiko Mecheri Ume, L'Artisan Saffron Rose, and others.

Ava Luxe - I keep coming back to Serena's fragrances and wear them more than almost any other single perfumer. Also, I love Andy Tauer's scents - as an incense fiend, I love his fragrances.
    Miller Harris also strikes a chord with me.
    And yes, Lutens, Malle, L'Artisan.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 12th September 2010 at 09:30 PM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Basenotes Plus

I need to add Etro and Frederic Malle to my list, can't believe I forgot them.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Blog Entries

Amourage

Mine:
    Frederic Malle
    Ormonde Jayne
    Histoires de Parfums

Gotta include Sonoma Scent Studio in addtion to:

Ava Luxe
    Andy Tauer
    Ormonde Jayne
    HdP
    By Kilian
    Amouage
    Serge Lutens
    Parfums de Nicholai
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

I seem to be rounding up the usual suspects --

Malle (my very favorite house -- love Carnal Flower, Iris Poudre, Une Rose... & love the bottles)
    Le Labo (based on just two so far: Iris 39 and Patchouli 24... & love the bottles)
    Lutens (esp. Iris Silver Mist, Bois de Violette, Sa Majeste la Rose and Feminite du Bois)
    L'Artisan (many, especially Nuit de Tuberose, Dzongka, Mimosa pour Moi)
    The Different Co (esp. Bois d'Iris, Sel de Vetiver, Oriental Lounge)
    DelRae (most)

... are my favorites!
    Last edited by C Rose; 5th October 2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: typos, additions

1. The Armani Prive Collection
    2. Bond No.9
    3. Comme des Garcons
    4. Creed
    5. Acqua di Parma
    6. Penhaligon's
    7. Clive Christian
    Gary

Penhaligons and Acqua di Parma are my favorites.

Ava Luxe is my favourite by a long way. I tend to have quite an emotional reaction to nearly all those I've tried - in a good way!!

Ava Luxe
    Amouage
    Serge Lutens
    L'Artisan
    Parfumerie Generale
    Frederic Malle

Eau d'Italie
    Lorenzo Villorezi
    Santa Maria Novella
    Lutens
    Diptyque
    Etro

Hi,

This is my very first post in Basenotes. I'm comparatively new to niche perfumery, but can already say I love:

- Parfum d'Empire
    - Serge Lutens

I'm really looking forward to try some Amouage on my skin, as I've read so much about it. In time...

Basenotes Plus

Hi Nuria G, welcome to Basenotes!
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

Oh, thanks a lot, Kiliwia. I hope this forum will be just the right place to learn more and more about perfume - the more you know, the more you realize all that's left to explore.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nuria G View Post
    Oh, thanks a lot, Kiliwia. I hope this forum will be just the right place to learn more and more about perfume - the more you know, the more you realize all that's left to explore.
    How true! Welcome to basenotes, Nuria!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

It's only been just over 6 months since I discovered niche, Basenotes, and all things olfactorally-fabulous, but so far it's:

Serge Lutens (#1 by a mile!)
    Tom Ford Private Blend
    Frederic Malle
    Parfum d'Empire

Hi,

I'll be in London in a couple of weeks and would love to take the chance and buy something hard to find. Any suggestions?

Blog Entries

l recommend you visit Les Senteurs, who stock a lot of niche brands. You can check out their website at lessenteurs.com. Happy shopping & enjoy your trip!

Basenotes Plus

I don't know about something that's hard to find, but the one place I'd make sure to go is the Ormonde Jayne perfume shop on Old Bond Street. You can read about it at their online site.

Creed
    Tom Ford
    Frederic Malle
    L'Occitane

Hillaire

In this exact order, here are my top ten:

1. Parfums de Nicolai - I really cannot even imagine niche perfumery without this house. So many paradigmatic, impeccable accomplishments, and so many scents that suit me. My favorites from this house are: Vie de Chateau, Number One, New York, Cologne Sologne, and Jardin Secret, though I love almost every one.

2. Amouage - For me, this house epitomizes luxury and refinement in fragrance. Not every Amouage suits me, but I appreciate the plush redolence of the whole line. I also adore the unisex potential of the men's offerings. My favorites are: Dia Woman, Ubar, Memoir Woman, and Ciel Woman.

3. Histoires de Parfum - I was so surprised by this house, which I only recently dove into. Not only were an astonishing amount of their scents instant favorite and to my mind flawlessly executed, but I also found the line to be fascinatingly diverse. I love that they have been unpredictable while remaining so quality-conscious. This line feels like a harvesting of world class perfumes from a wide range of sources. My favorites are: Colette, Casanova, Marquis de Sade, and Vert Pivoine.

4. The Different Company- My favorites from this house are the original handful from Jean Claude Ellena, which are austere, ground-breaking beauties: Osmanthus, Bois d'Iris, Bergamote.

5. Divine - It seems Divine is 'all about' classical French scents, with an eye on refinement. The whole line is respectable, but the Divine original is the stand out. One of my favorite scents of all time.

6. MDCI Not a perfect line; some scents hardly stand up to designer cheapies. However, the few masterpieces of the bunch soar unrivaled, and are quite haunting. I love Invasion Barbare, Peche Cardinale, and Promesse de L'Aube

7. Lubin - A true original, and very affordable. The new offerings from this line are EXCITING.
    In love with Itasca, Gin Fizz, and Bluff.

8. Parfumerie Generale - A really boldly modern and powerful line. Ranging from too-odd-to-enjoy to strangely-perfect. Luminaries from this line include Corps et Ames and Cuir d' Iris.

9. Fragonard - A classic. With many simple-yet-elegant offerings. And no riff raff. My favorites are Caresse and Rendez Vous.

10. Delrae- Floral fragrances that are wildly adventurous and stately at once! I love Debut, Coup de Foudre, and Amoureuse.
    Last edited by Hillaire; 5th October 2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Font enhancements

Basenotes Institution

Frederic Malle- I love that perfumers are recognised and are given creative freedom.
    Amouage- I can only echo Hillaire's thoughts here. I love Christopher Chong's vision and the creative freedom Amouage have to create a superior quality scent.
    Serge Lutens - someone I admire.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I'm also with Hillaire on some of these - very eloquently put.

1. Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle.

I think the quality is outstanding across the whole line. I also applaud Frederic Malle for putting portraits of the creators above the counter and I think the slightly oddball approach (Lipstick Rose, Dans Tes Bras, L'Eau de L'Hiver) is cool. In an industry where there seem to be so many trends and 'ready made lines' popping up with all the usual suspects it's refreshing that you really don't know what you're going to get with Malle - just that it will be good.

2. Amouage

I like the direction Amouage is taking. My guess is by bringing in the Library Collection to explore specific genres or one off ideas the Man + Woman story can unfold in it's own good time without commercial pressure - I mean Epic & Memoir are hardly crowd pleasers - can you imagine what a focus group would make of these? Thank you, Christopher Chong. And then, of course, there are the Attars . . . .

3. Parfums de Nicolai

Understated quality - personal favourites are New York & Nicolai Pour Homme but of the others I have tried (30ml - genius) Odalisque, Sacrebleu and Maharadjah seem quite special. There is a sense of old school charm with PdN that appeals to me - unfussy, nothing to prove. I even like the bottles.

4. Histoires de Parfum

Also a recent discovery for me - 1725 is my favourite but I like several from the line and think Moulin Rouge is fantastic - it's a pink L'Heure Bleue with a touch of Lipstick Rose.

Honourable mentions: Serge Lutens, The Different Company, Annick Goutal & Mr. Dubrana at profumo.it

Thanks, Teardrop and Kiliwia, for your kind suggestions. I've been to Les Senteurs during a previous visit, but not to Ormonde Jane (yet). I'm looking forward to.

My favorites are:
    Serge Lutens
    By Kilian
    L'Artisan
    Parfums d'Empire
    Lubin
    I am very attracted to the house of Frapin, but I don't own any...yet
    Evenstar

Amouage, Fragonard, Ava Luxe, L'Artisan

Basenotes Plus

Etat Libre d'Orange
    Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle
    Tauer Perfumes
    Montale
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Parfums de Nicolai (Le Temps d'Une Fete must be the most delicious green floral ever. And not expensive. I must always have a bottle of this.)
    The Party (The Garden Party Frangipane. And Oh, how I love The Party in Manhattan. One day she will be mine.)
    DelRae (Debut, Bois de Paradis, Coup de Foudre)
    By Kilian (Straight to Heaven, A Taste of Heaven, Love, Love and Tears)
    Frederic Malle (Carnal Flower!!!!!)
    Isabey (Gardenia and Fleur Nocturne)
    Divine (I find almost all of them lovely. But DIVINE is my favorite.)
    Amouage (Gold, Dia, and Jubilation)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    Serge Lutens. It's the only niche line I've gotten into. Even though only a handful of SLs agree with me, I feel like I get what the line is about.
    Same here. I do like other niche lines, but the Lutens frags have more meaning for me. Odd, isn't it, how you 'get' a niche and not another? I wear several SL frags, and they never disappoint.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Carthusia
    Lorenzo Villoresi
    MF Kurkdjian
    Etro
    Profumum Roma
    L'Artisan
    Serge Lutens
    By Kilian
    "See a shoe, and pick it up, and all day long you'll have good luck." by A. W.