Code of Conduct

Default Niche date scent

After a couple of years of perfume collecting, with mostly designer scents (although I do have a niche here and there), I'd like to explore niche scents more. Thought I'd start with one of my favorite use cases, date scents (well, okay, also count being at a bar, without a date, but there are women around). Right now, for me, the kinds of perfumes I wear are exemplified by:

1. Lightly romantic, great-smelling scents, e.g., YSL La Nuit de l'Homme, D&G The One for Men . These are romantic but not giant club scents, overly sexy, or pimp daddy. Women seem to universally love them, and I've never had one of my "trusted female noses" dislike them.
    2. Fresh-smelling crowd-pleasers: e.g., Bleu de Chanel, CH 212 Men . Although they are less overtly-sensual than the ones above, they probably garner even more compliments and neck nuzzling

So, I'm looking for recommendations for which niche scents you wear on dates, or carousing at hip bars (I don't go to clubs) ... or, if niche is by-definition too daring, let me know that, too. Your recommendations don't have to smell anything like the examples above, as far as notes, accords, classifications. I just want to set the requirements as: 1. there's a very high chance she'll love it, 2. and even if not, there's a very low chance she'll hate it, 3. fresh is good, a little romantic is good, overly sexy is not, 4. longevity, projection, and sillage take a back seat to quality of the scent

Thanks!

PS I'm also keeping an eye on That Guy's great niche citrus/summer scent thread, another fave category of mine
    Last edited by Uvalde; 15th July 2014 at 01:53 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Niche date scent

My exposure to niche stuff is far more limited than a lot of other posters, but I've sampled quite a bit from a few of the houses.

You just can't wrong with Creed Aventus. I hate to be that guy, as it pops up in seemingly every thread. But it's just true. It's unique and women love it.

Dior Homme Intense is a good option that isn't niche, although kind hard to get your hands on outside of the internet.

Sdot: thanks for your reply! I should say upfront: I personally don't like Creed Aventus. And you're not "That guy" for suggesting it, it definitely meets all the qualifications I put out, plus is probably still the runaway leader in the female compliments thread. I just don't happen to like it. So, great recommendation, but just doesn't work for me.

Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Mancera Kumkat Wood
    Brecourt Esprit Mondain
    Frank 2 Los Angeles
    Lubin Itasca
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Perhaps also Endymion by Penhaligons

Basenotes Plus

Frapin Humaniste

Creed Royal Oud
    Diptyque Volutes
    Dior Bois d'Argent.

Eutopie # 2
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

+1 for L'Humaniste
    Dior Vetiver
    My crystal flacon page: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=648

My top 10:

1) Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    2) SHL Black Gemstone
    3) MDCI Invasion Barbare
    4) Amouage Jubilation XXV
    5) Morabito Or Black
    6) House of Matriarch Blackbird
    7) Puredistance M
    8) Armani Bois d'Encens
    9) Turtle Vetiver Back
    10) Hermes Bel Ami

L'Humaniste is one of the few niches that I do have. Agree, it is awesome ... a tad fleeting, but a fantastic smelling alternative in that "fresh crowd pleaser" class with 212 Men, etc.

I honestly don't know what a "sexy" or "romantic" scent is. If she likes it, I would think it would fall under those categories - if not, I would think it wouldn't.

But here are some good "niche" date scents IMO:

Diptyque Tam Dao
    +1 for the Mancera suggestions - I would also add Black Line
    Parfums de Nicolai - Amber Oud
    Armani Prive - Rose d'Arabie (Not technically "niche" however)
    Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    Creed - Millesime 1849
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Roja Danger Pour homme parfum or Roja Vetiver extrait (the only two scents in my 50+ collection that my other half said "Damm you smell good!!!). Not cheap but you need very little (1 -2 sprays and you done) You will get huge longevity of 10h+. Make sure you dress for the occasion, these smell rich and expensive and you sure will need to look the part to pull them off.

Current top 10 (in no particular order)
    Guerlain HABIT ROUGE EDP
    IDOLE De Lubin Vintage EDT
    Roja Dove ROJA Parfum
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Boadicea The Victorious LEGEND
    YSL Splendid Wood
    Xerjoff HOMME
    Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP
    Annick Goutal MYRRHE ARDENTE
    Salvador Dali Pour Homme

Basenotes Plus

Creed Aventus, MI or Pure White Cologne.

MFK Aqua Universalis Forte.

Enough already the guy said ,"He don't dig Aventus" (But for me it is a L'ouevre)respect that! Now for a sexy beast of a scent with projection , longevity, sillage etc ...Then Amber Oud by Roja Dove is Thee one : Big bucks but all worth it, I mean this stuff is Nuclear IMO, you touch with your finger or any body part THEN you're wearing Amber Oud for the day, yes folks is that potent!!! ...that's a no joke , no nonsense kind of juice But if you want thee skankyest sensual dirty Juice then it's older brother is a bit quieter and not as loud as the youngster then "Oud" by Roja is my choice of a Scent...Cheerios
    Last edited by magnus611; 15th July 2014 at 05:08 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Tuscan Leather
    Aventus
    Memoir Man
    Tonka Imperiale

Still none beat my favorite designer - DHI
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    Tuscan Leather
    Aventus
    Memoir Man
    Tonka Imperiale

Still none beat my favorite designer - DHI
    Yes , I agree on the designer end and of A matter of fact niche end also for the exception of Oud and Amber oud by Roja DHI holds it value in Gold bullions.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes Plus

Rose 31
    Current rotation:

Green Irish Tweed
    Ambre Topkapi
    Aventus
    Scandal Pour Homme
    Tabarome Millesime

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Enough already the guy said ,"He don't dig Aventus" (But for me it is a L'ouevre)respect that! Now for a sexy beast of a scent with projection , longevity, sillage etc ...Then Amber Oud by Roja Dove is Thee one : Big bucks but all worth it, I mean this stuff is Nuclear IMO, you touch with your finger or any body part THEN you're wearing Amber Oud for the day, yes folks is that potent!!! ...that's a no joke , no nonsense kind of juice But if you want thee skankyest sensual dirty Juice then it's older brother is a bit quieter and not as loud as the youngster then "Oud" by Roja is my choice of a Scent...Cheerios
    Sorry I didn't follow the thread posts, however remember it's a date scent. I would suggest lighter scents.
    Last edited by mixerscent; 16th July 2014 at 12:10 AM.

Anything really, as long as it fits your mood, personality and is properly applied. Obviously there are the universally safe crowd pleasers like Green Irish Tweed, Aventus and Millisime Imperial. Or you can go a little more daring and abstract (yet refined) and set yourself apart, Absolue pour le soir, Jubilation XXV, L'air du desert Marocain, Ambre Sultan. Or you can play it a little more safe and classy (yet still set yourself apart), Luminere Noire Pour Homme,Invasion Barbare or Tonka Imperiale,.

Finally there is the middle ground of both: Noir de Noir, Memoir Man, Coromandel, Musc Ravaguer., Tobacco Vanille.

Basenotes Member

Lumiere Blanche...it doesn't smell like Bleu de Chanel, but I get the same vibe from it.

Amouage Reflection Man. Can't go wrong.

Thanks guys! I'm taking notes and started looking to see which of these suggestions I can sample, locally or online. Did you guys realize some of these are expensive? Keep the suggestions coming...

As you can tell from my current dating scents, I do stick to relatively safer scents. I love LDDM, but wouldn't wear it on date, for example...