Code of Conduct

Default Mette says Hi:-)

Hello Basenoters

I just realized that it has been a year since I joined Basenotes and, until yesterday, I hadn't uttered a single word. I've just been sneaking around snatching all of your knowledge and expertise and poetic (well sometimes) reviews, so thank you all for sharing:-) I think it's about time I get out of the bush (can you say that in english?) so I thought I'd introduce myself by a short scented walk down memory lane. Here goes my scented life so far:

1977: 3 years old. My mom came home from Italy wearing a beautyful blue dress and Fidji. Eeh what, my mom is a LADY!?! Fidji is the smell of the promised land of being a woman. Elegance.

1987: 13 years old and as flat as the Netherlands:-/ But so was Kate Moss, and she was wearing Obsession. So I went for it, and went through the first two years of my teens in a heavy cloud of Obsession. To me it still smells like trying a little too hard.

1989: 15 and never kissed. Until a boy came along. He had the bluest eyes, the softest voice, and the most intoxicating smile. One day, me and him in a friends room, she went to the kitchen to make us tea, and we were drawn to each other like two magnets and it happened: The first real kiss (ooh my, there were trumpets in the sky). I was wearing Lou Lou. Lou Lou is lust in its innocent form, but I dare not smell it again, I'm so afraid my memory will be disappointed, it was quite cloying wasn't it?

1990: 16 and going to London, to look for the life. Coco Chanel offered itself through a heavily made-up saleswoman who taught me this: "Some perfume are so powerful that they cannot be worn by anybody, you are really lucky that you can pull it off, it's one of the most sophisticated and exclusive scents." Of course I bought it, I was 16 and ready to be -ahem- sophisticated. Later I dropped it on the floor in my fathers garage. He didn't enjoy it as much as I did!!

1991-1995: Experiments! Living, loving, going to school, to parties, to obscure places in the heart of Copenhagen, going home too late or too early. Wearing: Poison, D&G Red, Opium, Chloe, patchouli oil, Joop for men, Paloma Picasso, Feminite du Bois, Allure, Shu Uemura and what not as long as would make me make an impression (at least on myself!)

1996- 2008: Then I met Angel. Angel and I spent 12 years together without any break-ups! I was completely faithful, cross my heart etc... I was educated, I lost my father, I met my husband (finally!), I lost my sister, I gave birth to two boys, every memory form that era is scented with that sweet blue sirop. Two years ago I couldn't really smell it any longer, and I began thinking about breaking up. It was quite a long proces (I'm not joking) since I had been so sure that I would spend the rest of my life in a little blue cloud of Angel. I started flirting with Christalle and Clarins eau dynamisante on hot summer days, but it wasn't until I met Eau du soir, that I really could say goodbye to Angel. It was a love story while it lasted!

2009: 35. The stinging opening of Eau du soir was the opening of a new world to me. I began exploring different kinds of fragance (I'm a beginner still!) and I soon stumbled upon Basenotes, Now Smell This and other scent blogs. And THAT was like WAUW - how could I have missed this?? There are other people out there whose heart beat faster when they go into a high line fragrance store - my friends thinks I'm an excentric snob when it comes to perfumes!! I'm not alone with this passion, which is just ... so NICE:-) I bought full bottles of Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleu, and I could happily live the rest of my life with just those two to represent the two basic sides of my personality, but I won't, there are so many others... I really feel like I'm taking the first insecure steps of a wonderful journey at the moment, and I wanna hold your hand!!

I still can't tell the difference between iris and lilys, but I know now that I like everything chypre, I sometimes like patcouli, I have a thing for violets, and powdery notes comforts me. At the moment I adore White Patchouli, Une Rose Chypree, Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleu, Nicolai Sacrebleu, Liaisons dangereuses By Kilian and Feminite du Bois (again).

Recommendations are very welcome:-)

I wish you all a happy sunday!

Mette -It's my real name, I thought I would be able to change it:-/

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mette says Hi:-)

Welcome to the forum at last Mette, & thankyou for sharing your memories! lsn't it wonderful how you can tell the story of your life through scent? Sounds like you have a great collection. lf you like chypres, have you tried Magie Noire? lt's kind of a woody/chypre/oriental & perfect for autumn, even better if you can get hold of the original version. People are probably getting sick of me recommending it on here, but l just love it so much!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thank You Teardrop (btw a beautyful screen name, were you thinking of the Massive Attack track?)

I love that you can't stop recommending Magie Noire, because I know exactly what it's like to love a scent so much, you just want everybody else to appreciate it as well. Actually I think I'll see if I can find a small bottle or sample somewhere, I remember it from the late 80'ies (i think?), a friends mom used to wear it, so I stuck my nose in it in their bathroom (That is how I got to know a lot of fragrances - and it still is!) As I recall it is very appealing and significantly oriental, but I may be wrong. I'll give it a go, and I'll let you know what I think - except maybe not, in case I hate it, but I don't think I will:-)

ps. Ehem... have you tried Une Rose Chypree (Tauer)??

Thanks for your story, Mette, it's so grand to welcome you here and for sharing such wonderful memories with us!

Now, from what I have understood from your posts and your fragrance wardrobe, may I add several fragrance recommendations, some of whom might lead to future purchases?

I think that, from what you described us, among others, Lady Knize, Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile, almost any Guerlain, ranging from Shalimar to Insolence, including flankers, Bvlgari Jasmin Noir, Tom Ford's Balck Orchid, also uber-classics like Miss Dior, Je Reviens by Worth or the very little known but soooo underrated Le Dix by Balenciaga might be worth one (or more) testing and sampling (or, re-testing and re-sampling)

Sadly, I currently don't have any info on Une Rose Chypree by Tauer, but, aside from that, it seems that the dominating taste in your fragrance preferences and/or fragrance wardrobe is "classic chypre lady with a twist".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mette View Post
    Thank You Teardrop (btw a beautyful screen name, were you thinking of the Massive Attack track?)

I love that you can't stop recommending Magie Noire, because I know exactly what it's like to love a scent so much, you just want everybody else to appreciate it as well. Actually I think I'll see if I can find a small bottle or sample somewhere, I remember it from the late 80'ies (i think?), a friends mom used to wear it, so I stuck my nose in it in their bathroom (That is how I got to know a lot of fragrances - and it still is!) As I recall it is very appealing and significantly oriental, but I may be wrong. I'll give it a go, and I'll let you know what I think - except maybe not, in case I hate it, but I don't think I will:-)

ps. Ehem... have you tried Une Rose Chypree (Tauer)??
    Thanks, actually the name is from an eighties band called The Teardrop Explodes, ( although that is a great track by Massive Attack, have you heard Newton Faulkner's version? ) l had their name written on my schoolbag, & one day someone just saw the word "teardrop" & thought it was my nickname! lt's stuck in my head ever since.

l won't be offended if you don't like Magie Noire, but l'd love to hear how you get on.

No l haven't tried that one, but it sounds worth investigating, thanks for the recommendation & for your understanding!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Mette, that's a very lovely well written story. It's going to be nice to have you over here since you seem like quite the interesting person

Ekove says hi back

Thanks for the intro Mette and and welcome to Basenotes.

Oh it's nice to feel welcome - thank you:-)

I will copy all of those recommendations to my test-list, except the Diors, I don't know if I'm to blame my nose or my skin, but to me they all seem so ...anonymous? I was just thinking of ordering a sample of Le Dix, and I'm already head-over-heals in Black Orchid. So there - you seem to be spot on:-) As for the "classic chypre lady with a twist" I will use that next time I'm going to introduce myself, instead of the usual what-I-do, where-I-live etc. :-)

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Hi Mettie. It's great you decided to let us know something about you through an arresting read! I am a straight male and I own and occasionally wear both Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleu. Devastatingly beautiful, the pair. I am looking forward to reading more of what I suspect will be very interesting posts from you.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Oh it's nice to feel welcome - thank you:-)

I will copy all of those recommendations to my test-list, except the Diors, I don't know if I'm to blame my nose or my skin, but to me they all seem so ...anonymous? I was just thinking of ordering a sample of Le Dix, and I'm already head-over-heals in Black Orchid. So there - you seem to be spot on:-) As for the "classic chypre lady with a twist" I will use that next time I'm going to introduce myself, instead of the usual what-I-do, where-I-live etc. :-)
    If you like black orchid, it's going to be hard for you to dislike Dior Poison, especially Hypnotic poison.

@Teardrop. I just listened to the Faulkner cover, and liked it. I never thought it could be made into a grunge lullaby:-)

@Ekove: Yes to the Poisons (never seemed Dior to me, I think of them as YSL!) Hypnotic I can only wear when sprayed on clothes (hours before going out), on my skin, the firery fuzziness of it makes the inside of my nose itch! Tried Midnight Poison the other day, and loved it, very very soft and dark mmm. Unfortunately I don't own any of them at the moment, that must change!

Welcome, Mette!

@Ekove: Yes to the Poisons (never seemed Dior to me, I think of them as YSL!)...
    If anything, I think that's a compliment to Poison. YSL is my favorite designer brand, that is not to say Dior isn't pretty good as well.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Velkommen kære Mette ... my fellow Dane.

You went from Angel to Eau du Soir, those two are like black and white, sooo far apart!

And you're a fan of the Poisons ... any fan of the Poisons is a friend of mine. Post away,
    you're gonna love it here even more so, when you participate..!

Længe Leve Dronningen!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Velkommen kære Mette ... my fellow Dane.

You went from Angel to Eau du Soir, those two are like black and white, sooo far apart!

And you're a fan of the Poisons ... any fan of the Poisons is a friend of mine. Post away,
    you're gonna love it here even more so, when you participate..!

Længe Leve Dronningen!
    Well it's like having eaten nothing but cake (but the best one) for 12 years, I really needed something different, like say... ice dold tomato soup (No, actualy I can't translate Eau du Soir into a meal!)

The Queen? eeeh, yes, well, you see I'm kind of anti-royalist, but not so much that I wish her dead:-) Then again... Lars Løkke for president? now that would be embarassing:-/

The Queen? eeeh, yes, well, you see I'm kind of anti-royalist

LÆNGE LEVE DRONNINGEN - LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!

haha I ment COLD!

haha I ment COLD!
    Yeah, I got it. A good explanation actually,
    going from cake to tomato soup ... the
    frags are indeed as far apart as such!

Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of EdS,
    I find it too sour..! I live for Angel, though!

Hov vi postede samtidig!
    Oooh I'm sorry, you really are a royalist? Didn't mean to hurt your feelings! But Kronprins Frederik is handsome:-)

ok communication breakdown:-)

Wow that was a really interesting life story, I hope to see you posting more often Mette
    Who Else Loves Discontinued Perfumes?

But Kronprins Frederik is handsome:-)
    And the Crown Princess is gorgeous, too ... yes, I'm an extreme royalist,
    but you can say what you want to, we have freedom of speach, don't we?!

... but this royal talk belongs in another thread!

ehm is there a royalist thread that I don't know of? I think I'll stay out of it...
    And yes she is quite elegant:-)

ehm is there a royalist thread that I don't know of? I think I'll stay out of it...
    And yes she is quite elegant:-)
    Nope!

I did make one when they anounced that they are expecting twins,
    but there is no royal chat thread per see!

Quote Originally Posted by reba00 View Post
    Wow that was a really interesting life story, I hope to see you posting more often Mette
    Thank You, I'm sure I will, I have a strong feeling this place is addictive:-)