Code of Conduct

Default Scents you've sold - then re-bought

One of the downsides of having a smellographic (as opposed to photographic) memory is that you never forget what a fragrance smells like.

This can be problematic however, because it can lead to some complete U-turns on fragrances.

It's happened to me before. Michael Kors for men for example, I bought, hated and sold - despite having other fragrances within the same kind of notes. Some months later, I woke up one day with a craving for it in the back of my mind, so I rebought it and would never part with it.

It's just happened to me again with Givenchy Gentleman. Don't ask why, but I've disliked this for so long I can't remember. Until last week that is. I suddenly realised I had the urge to smell it again. So I called in at a branch of Boots and yep, really enjoyed it. And er, rebought it, three or four years after selling the bottle I had on Ebay.

There are two fragrances that I have sold that I am yet to experience this reawakening with. One is NR pour Homme and the other is M7. It will be interesting to see if I ever get that urge with those two.

So, in a long-winded way, what I am asking is: have you had this same experience with fragrances, that you've bought, sold because you disliked them - and then rebought?
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Default Re: Scents you've sold - then re-bought

I tend to keep scents I've bought even if I dislike them as I prefer to have a varied wardrobe and taste changes. I did sell a couple I didn't care, because a friend was looking for a scent and he liked them.

It happened to me with M7, although I hadn't bought or sold it yet. I had a sample that I tried and hated. About 5 or 6 months later I - having not sniffed it at all in the interim - had an extreme craving for it, spent an inordinate amount of time trying to find the practically abandoned sample, wore it, and fell in love.

Lately I've found that one of my favorites, Reflection Man, is once again smelling "off" to me. With this last wearing I was finding the cedary note to be a bit abrasive and found some similarities w/ the drydown of Bleu by Chanel, something I've panned a bit. This is unsettling. Can't I ever just find a favorite and have it *always* smell good? *sigh*
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Lots;

Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet, Hammam Bouquet and English Fern.
    Trumper's Spanish Leather.
    Czech & Speake #88.
    Aramis 900.
    Caron Yatagan.
    Knize Ten.

Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post
    Lots;

Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet, Hammam Bouquet and English Fern.
    Trumper's Spanish Leather.
    Czech & Speake #88.
    Aramis 900.
    Caron Yatagan.
    Knize Ten.
    I kind of had a similar relationship with Hammam Bouquet, I disliked it for a long time. Eventually though, I bought it and I would say it's probably my favourite fragrance of all time.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I kind of had a similar relationship with Hammam Bouquet, I disliked it for a long time. Eventually though, I bought it and I would say it's probably my favourite fragrance of all time.
    I think it was your posts about Hammam a few years ago that led me to it in the first place.

Tom Ford Italian Cypress, Jack Black Signature Blue Mark, Fahrenheit Summer, Czech & Speake No. 88 and Bond No. 9 Brooklyn.

There are certainly a couple of others - Narciso Rodriguez is another one - but for some reason, I've gone back or I've found them at cheap enough prices to where if I get the feeling, I can go back to them.

Basenotes Plus

Happened only twice for me: L'Artisan's La Chasse aux Papillions and Caron's Fleurs de Rocaille parfum. A very generous basenoter gifted me with the Caron after I lamented having sold it.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Ormonde Jayne ORMONDE MAN

I have to say, every scent that I've decided to sell has been the right choice.

The only two I can think of are Creed Virgin Island Water and Bond No.9 Hamptons. I had used half of each though before selling them. I've recently purchased both of these again after what must be a good 4-5 years absence.

Blog Entries

I've sometimes wanted to smell again perfumes I'd given away or even thrown away.

So now I tend to just hang on to my bottles longer, to be really sure-- and if I do give it away, I generally keep 5 ml. for reference, and to help me make future decisions about the scent.

Eau Lente

M7 Fresh
    Virgin Island Water

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Given away and repurchased:

M7
    Pasha de Cartier
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Not sold, but I swaped a bottle of Creed Bois du Portugal. It was a completely stupid thing to do. I didn`t realised then how good it was, so last week I bought a new bottle and put it back in my collection where it belongs!

Its so funny how these things happen. I have done this more than once but as of right now, all I can remember is Sander for Men, Escada Magnetism, and B*Men.

This happened to me with my L'Instant Extreme. Bought it on winter, decided to sell it on summer, and then on winter i was wanting it again, but i was lucky to find again a bottle at fragrancenet for a bargain price. Another one that I deeply regreted selling was Fendi Theorema Donna. I sold it because i thought it was too light on me, and then i was wanting to feel again that smell of tangerines with cream and amber.
    My Egoiste Pour Homme and My Eau d'Hermes are also returning to my house after one year lol
    I've learned my lesson. In my case, I'll never sell again Hermés, Guerlain, Cartier and Dior. This are my favorite houses and I always regret selling something that I have and it belongs to one of these four

Yatagan and Parfum d'Habit. I've just about decided that selling frags is almost always a bad idea for me.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

kouros and lorenzo viloressi Musk
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

APOM Pour Homme - Totally regret trading this one. Fortunately, I did keep a decant to last me through the summer. I'll be picking up a new bottle in the spring next year.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Given away and repurchased:

M7
    Pasha de Cartier
    Pasha de Cartier. Hmm, another one I sold and have been flirting idly on Ebay about buying again. I can remember the scent very clearly in my mind's nose and wonder why I sold it...

Eau d'Hermes - swapped it last year, missed it, and bought another one this year.

I swapped it away and now I miss LouLou from Cacharel.

Basenotes Institution

Penahligon's Bluebell amongst others.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I have done this WAY too many times to count.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I've sometimes wanted to smell again perfumes I'd given away or even thrown away.

So now I tend to just hang on to my bottles longer, to be really sure-- and if I do give it away, I generally keep 5 ml. for reference, and to help me make future decisions about the scent.
    I do the same thing. I hate 'goodbyes'. Then again, I've always been a sentimental fool...

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    M7 Fresh
    Virgin Island Water
    M7 fresh is good

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    M7 fresh is good
    It is.
    Fortunatly the bottle I returned was retail, and all I lost was the shipping, and I picked up a 100ml tester for less than 1/2 what I paid retail!!!

Rochas Man and Burberry London. Well I got them back in swaps. I think I'm gonna repurchase Gucci PH II though, but step it up to the 100ml this time.

In my case only bought (lots) - never sold. Re-bought if I needed to replenish a particular fragrance only.

Basenotes Plus

no, and can't envision doing so.
    I've returned bottles and picked them up cheaper elsewhere, but that's not the same thing.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I gave a friend a bottle of John Varvatos a while ago. I might pick up another bottle if I find one at TJ Maxx etc.

Unfortunately, so many of what I sell and/or swap away, I end up wanting back. I think this is just human nature, to want what you don't have (such is life). I haven't bought many of what I've sold/swapped, but I definitely miss them. I'm just starting to acquire 10/15 ml atomizers - I'd rather sell for less, and have some on hand.