Code of Conduct

Talking Carcinogen ingredients in perfume

I just surfed to this site: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/bro...ategory=formen and it made me think twice every time I spray it onto my chest. Now I only spray it on my shirt. Quite scarry to the extent of being paranoid. If the info is true, does that means spraying is as dangerous as smoking? Hahhh quite scarry rite?

Default Re: Carcinogen ingredients in perfume

I've seen that site too, but how do they know about all these frags that they "report" on, when frags don't have ingredients listed (or too few to say much of anything about them)? Also, what studies are they citing with regard to how frags are usually used? It looked like some alarmist's site to me. If that site is 100% accurate, you might want to stop breathing, because of all the "carcinogens" you will be breathing in with every breath !
    Last edited by Bigsly; 7th April 2009 at 03:25 AM.

hehehe i'm thinking of buying a bubble boy suit. hehehe ahhh ebay; here i come

Post Thanks / Like

Oh something is going to make us die one way or the other. Even if we avoid everything that is listed on all of the "consumer watch groups" the stress of worrying will end up killing us.
    I could give a flying-fig what these sites or any "committee" says, douse me with scent until my eyes water or I pass out. Fumigate me with nitro-muscs, oak moss, tree moss, coumarin and geraniol, if I grow a tail or another finger so be it.
    Everyone is so worried about cosmetics and fragrances, I could think of 10 things more dangerous to a long healthy life. But those companies and industries are paying governments big-money to look the other way.
    Enough policing of the pleasures in life; who would want to live in such a sterile pasteurized world anyway.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Post Thanks / Like

a) cancer is largely genetically determined. carcinogens in general only aggravate existing risk.

b) everything is carcinogenic to some degree or another depending on dose. The vapors rising from hot, freshly baked bread have known carcinogens in them.

as far as it being as dangerous as smoking, there's no way.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    Oh something is going to make us die one way or the other. Even if we avoid everything that is listed on all of the "consumer watch groups" the stress of worrying will end up killing us.
    I could give a flying-fig what these sites or any "committee" says, douse me with scent until my eyes water or I pass out. Fumigate me with nitro-muscs, oak moss, tree moss, coumarin and geraniol, if I grow a tail or another finger so be it.
    Everyone is so worried about cosmetics and fragrances, I could think of 10 things more dangerous to a long healthy life. But those companies and industries are paying governments big-money to look the other way.
    Enough policing of the pleasures in life; who would want to live in such a sterile pasteurized world anyway.
    I concur.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
    a) cancer is largely genetically determined. carcinogens in general only aggravate existing risk...
    If you and I are ready to take a number of risks for ourselves - that's one thing. But at the same time I still bothers me when a minority (49% or less of any population) is endangered by odorant and aromatic components. Would that not bother you also Diabetes, skin diseases and various forms of cancer - minority groups are growing fast, and so is the exposure to (synthetic) odorants, flavors, colors, fabric- and other softeners(!) in plastic materials from bottles, wrapping paper or tupperware to electric and other insulation materials.

At the same time tear gas against Greenpeace- and other demonstrators is seen as absolutely harmless and legal from here to China and Tibet !
    Last edited by narcus; 7th April 2009 at 03:12 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think it would interesting if there was a study done on frequency of cancer types comparing fragrance wearers vs non fragrance wearers. They do that with smoking, etc. Is there a problem? How much? What type of cancers? Any risk reductions as well?

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve
    Post Thanks / Like

I brought this site up a while ago: http://community.basenotes.net/showt...etics+database

In my second post, after spending some time figuring out their rankings, I came to this conclusion: "the rankings ARE alarmist and possibly/probably worthless. I would use this only if you are looking for specific ingredients that you know you are allergic too." The post goes into greater detail supporting this conclusion, in case you're interested.

Are there some fragrance ingredients that, at low doses, significantly increase the probability of cancer? Maybe, but the scientific evidence isn't there. The site seems to operate under the principle of "If we don't know it's safe, then it must be harmful." I'm all for being cautious and preventative, but this site goes beyond that to being alarmist and reactionary (as well as being a hypochondriac's dream/nightmare).
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I think it would interesting if there was a study done on frequency of cancer types comparing fragrance wearers vs non fragrance wearers. They do that with smoking, etc. Is there a problem? How much? What type of cancers? Any risk reductions as well?
    Now that would be a useful experiment that might be able to shut some people up or cause some people to rethink their choices. I wonder if any of the longitudinal studies have noted fragrance use.

While I'm on a roll here, it seems like often the group that yells the loudest wins. Here's a NPR story in which the science (which said there was little to no risk) was ignored and a chemical substance was banned. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=102567295 Of course, part of this is the politicians' fault. Given the choice of making a brave (though specious) stand for children's safety or explaining the science, what egotistic politician (redundancy alert!) would choose the latter?

Finally, if an ingredient was shown to cause a significant increase in cancer rates (or any other deadly disease) I would stop using it immediately. Yes, lots of things can kill me and I'm going to die anyway, but why use something that increases the likelihood of dying sooner? I can live with out fragrance and still be happy. I can't live without, well, life. Again, this is only if there was a significant increase - which hasn't been shown.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    If you and I are ready to take a number of risks for ourselves - that's one thing. But at the same time I still bothers me when a minority (49% or less of any population) is endangered by odorant and aromatic components. Would that not bother you also Diabetes, skin diseases and various forms of cancer - minority groups are growing fast, and so is the exposure to (synthetic) odorants, flavors, colors, fabric- and other softeners(!) in plastic materials from bottles, wrapping paper or tupperware to electric and other insulation materials.

At the same time tear gas against Greenpeace- and other demonstrators is seen as absolutely harmless and legal from here to China and Tibet !
    I know a girl who's so allergic that a spoonful of peanut butter will send her to the emergency room, but nobody talks about banning peanuts...

You do have a point of course, but I think something like a warning label is the right answer, not widespread banning of materials and drastic reformulations of every fragrance because a handful of people might get a rash

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    I know a girl who's so allergic that a spoonful of peanut butter will send her to the emergency room, but nobody talks about banning peanuts...

You do have a point of course, but I think something like a warning label is the right answer, not widespread banning of materials and drastic reformulations of every fragrance because a handful of people might get a rash
    I agree with what you are saying. We do label foods for peanut content. Even possible peanut contact!

My question is this: why is a stricter standard being applied to fragrance than to food?

Post Thanks / Like

Good point. At least as long as we're talking about allergies.

Just one more thing about the cosmetics database: check out the data gap underneath the score. Yes, this fragrance is a high hazard! Yes, 72% of our conclusion is just a guess. No, we won't tell you how we calculated the data gap. Yes, accept our conclusions without questioning them!

Post Thanks / Like

Peanut butter - a good point, of course! Food is necessary and farmers have a strong lobby. Perfume is not necessary and the lobby, outside Grasse, is it strong? I know the chemical industry is!

If I have health problems it's not because of the dozens of perfume bottles I may have poured over myself when spray systems were not yet common for men. It's more because of alcohol consumed otherwise. I really am not easily afraid either. But ever since the contergan scandal and the ban of nitro-muscs I have been open to the problems of modern living. It's not one thing at a time, it's the combination of harmless little things that - over time - may contaminate our blood and cause unexpected system changes. Perfume is not something that stays on the skin, it's partly absorbed by the body. In if it doesn't just pass through it, we are piling things up, mothers for the off spring even. That has happened before. Perfume is not just Chanel! Most of it is very likely consumed with my sun blocker, fabric softener, shower gel and body lotion. Even the dishwasher adds some! Do I have a choice? I think not, and each product on it's own is perhaps as harmless as the headache pill I reach for. And if not all harmless - I would be asked to ignore a lot of warning labels daily! That does not make sense either.

Strangely enough I have nearly unlimited confidence in odorants and aromatic ingredients that have passed the test of time. We don't need to talk of a 1000 years, one generation or two will do, I think. This is what I really do not understand - why ban L'Heure Bleue when no lady has ever died from using it (Turin's example) ? So, when things are getting prohibited I am curious who is behind that, what the reasons are and who will gain from it. More than anything else, the current economical crisis has shown us that the true rulers in our world are shareholding companies, not presidents and state secretaries. The fact that politicians are elected doesn't change the principle. Only occasionally is a politician not part of the establishment, too (and some have not survived that).

To tackle the problem - who actually runs IFRA and what is their business other than the one now under attack? Isn't it IFRA who opted for bans and restrictions and against warning labels? What do consumer organizations favor? Not always are they the most restrictive entities.
    Last edited by narcus; 8th April 2009 at 01:59 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Peanut butter - a good point, of course! Food is necessary and farmers have a strong lobby. Perfume is not necessary and the lobby, outside Grasse, is it strong? I know the chemical industry is!

If I have health problems it's not because of the dozens of perfume bottles I may have poured over myself when spray systems were not yet common for men. It's more because of alcohol consumed otherwise. I really am not easily afraid either. But ever since the contergan scandal and the ban of nitro-muscs I have been open to the problems of modern living. It's not one thing at a time, it's the combination of harmless little things that - over time - may contaminate our blood and cause unexpected system changes. Perfume is not something that stays on the skin, it's partly absorbed by the body. And perfume is not just Chanel! Most perfume is very likely consumed with my sun blocker, fabric softener, shower gel and body lotion. Even the dishwasher adds some! Do I have a choice? I think not, and each product on it's own is perhaps as harmless as the headache pill I reach for. And if not all harmless - I would be asked to ignore a lot of warning labels daily! That does not make sense either.

Strangely enough I have nearly unlimited confidence in odorants and aromatic ingredients that have passed the test of time. We don't need to talk of a 1000 years, one generation or two will do, I think. This is what I really do not understand - why ban L'Heure Bleue when no lady has ever died from using it (Turin's example) ? So, when things are getting prohibited I am curious who is behind that, what the reasons are and who will gain from it. More than anything else, the current economical crisis has shown us that the true rulers in our world are shareholding companies, not presidents and state secretaries. The fact that politicians are elected doesn't change the principle. Only occasionally is a politician not part of the establishment, too (and some have not survived that).

To tackle the problem - who actually runs IFRA and what is their business other than the one now under attack? Isn't it IFRA who opted for bans and restrictions and against warning labels? What do consumer organizations favor? Not always are they the most restrictive entities.
    Yeah I can see your point. There's a conflict of interest between the handful of people who think of perfumery as an art form and the desire for the perfume industry to reach the majority of people who think of perfume as another item like toothpaste, sunblock, etc.

The result will be a cheapening of quality of fragrances across the board as they are reduced to synthetic buckets of chemicals - as Ruggles so aptly stated in the other thread.

It could be that some niche fragrance houses continue to survive by using something like warning labels - it's going to mean a huge gap in price between designer and niche from now on if this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
    a) cancer is largely genetically determined. carcinogens in general only aggravate existing risk.

b) everything is carcinogenic to some degree or another depending on dose. The vapors rising from hot, freshly baked bread have known carcinogens in them.

as far as it being as dangerous as smoking, there's no way.
    Bravo.

Can anyone site one study that I can read online that addresses this point directly? I don't have any interest in rat studies where the animals are loaded up with this or that "toxin." Or does even one study in humans that actually recreates common conditions exist?

Actually, there is some validity here: what seems to have happened is that the Western society's obsession with excessive product use (lotions, potions, scents, scrubs, soaps, fabric softeners, air fresheners, car fresheners, furniture polish...) and - ironically - good hygiene (which certainly helps prevent the spread of viruses and bacteria), has created a dilemma - our immune system has less of the parasites, bugs and nasties to fight (which is how our bodies evolved, and evolution hasn't caught up yet), so we develop auto-immune responses to otherwise benign substances. ANYTHING can become an allergen or carcinogen, depending on dose, use, circumstances and the individual in question.

Aside from certain types of radiation and cigarettes, not many substances show a consistently high correlation with cancer risk - it's usually more to do with genetics. (Obesity is one of the highest risk factors for cancer, but you could argue that much of a person's tendency to become obese is genetically based. And in obesity, various substances, such as meat have been linked with increased cancer risk, but there is really no one substance that does this in food; it's a combination of factors).

But allergies, asthma and other auto-immune conditions are indisputably on the increase.

With perfumes and cosmetics, the advice is simple: use what you like, but use in moderation. DON'T scrub your hands until the skin is red raw and dry, DON'T scrub yourself with loofahs and body scrubs in the shower every day (these all remove our skin's natural protective microflora and fine layer of natural oils which are meant to be there to protect us), DON'T use 12 different skincare products every day, etc.

It's fine to have a range of products and perfumes available, but how much you use on a daily basis can have a serious impact on how allergic you might become.

The industry is going about addressing this completely arse-about-tit. If they remove "allergen X" because of reports on reactions, it's a short-term solution, sure. But then, whatever aromachemical or oil or substance replaces THAT... well, unless people change their cosmetics/personal care/perfume/toiletries use/washing habits, give it a few years and guess what? It's that new substance that'll be getting a ban.

Elevated long-term exposure can create food allergies too - and sometimes these are not permanent and the body can be trained to tolerate increasing amounts of the substance safely over time.

But you don't see peanut manufacturers having to sell on the black market, all illegal-like.
    Last edited by Nukapai; 7th April 2009 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by archaic View Post
    I just surfed to this site: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/bro...ategory=formen and it made me think twice every time I spray it onto my chest. Now I only spray it on my shirt. Quite scarry to the extent of being paranoid. If the info is true, does that means spraying is as dangerous as smoking? Hahhh quite scarry rite?
    That site is funded and run by various lobby-groups and whilst many of them seem well-meaning, the site screams "scaremongering" and "bad science". Sadly (because I think on principle, it'd have been an ace project).

Please don't get worried by anything you read on there.

Post Thanks / Like

Does this mean I should stop my project to synthesize aromatic compounds from peanuts?

[QUOTE=Nukapai;1481211]The industry is going about addressing this completely arse-about-tit. If they remove "allergen X" because of reports on reactions, it's a short-term solution, sure. But then, whatever aromachemical or oil or substance replaces THAT... well, unless people change their cosmetics/personal care/perfume/toiletries use/washing habits, give it a few years and guess what? It's that new substance that'll be getting a ban.[QUOTE]

Good call Nukapai, it's true... your body can develop an allergic reaction to ANYTHING that doesn't have the specific marker protein matching your own cells. Allergies have become a big problem in our society. There are several days out of the year when I can hardly breath at night because of the pollen, mold, cedar fever, etc. I don't really think banning oakmoss is going to help me there

If the FDA actually did studies and found that certain chemicals in our perfumes were full-on carcinogens, then I might think twice about spraying, but then again maybe not, who wants to live forever?
    Last edited by monsieur_sparkle; 7th April 2009 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dpak View Post
    Does this mean I should stop my project to synthesize aromatic compounds from peanuts?

Post Thanks / Like

...who wants to live forever?
    The question is as polemic as it's old. Forget the span of life, just look at the quality! In my family I was the first developing very light food allergies and hay fever (at 17), but now two nephews have that too, from early on, and a little heavier than I did (one has totally unpredictable asthmatic fits occasionally. He couldn't do all the sports and lost a girl friend because of these little handicaps. Ok, it saved him from the military, but there are things he would have liked doing but could not: a trip to Africa, for example. Nothing tragic, but you hear of these things all too often nowadays.

As much as I insist on my right to die a weet death by perfume, if that were a possibility, I do respect peoples fears and 'oversensitivities' regarding omnipresent fragrant compounds. If IFRA, i.e.the lobby of the perfume industry, had opted for labels they could have had those for the EU, at least for perfume classics, I am sure. From info collected now, IFRA was originally founded in the US. It is now (or also) domiciled next to the legislators in Brussels. What some now call 'stupid EU legislation' has actually been hatched by the global industry. I am at a total loss to understand what's going on behind those locked doors of the French national organization.
    Last edited by narcus; 9th April 2009 at 05:59 AM.

The question is as polemic as it's old. Forget the span of life, just look at the quality! In my family I was the first developing very light food allergies and hay fever (at 17), but now two nephews have that too, from early on, and a little heavier than I did (one has totally unpredictable asthmatic fits occasionally. He couldn't do all the sports and lost a girl friend because of these little handicaps. Ok, it saved him from the military, but there are things he would have liked doing but could not: a trip to Africa, for example. Nothing tragic, but you hear of these things all too often nowadays.

As much as I insist on my right to die a weet death by perfume, if that were a possibility, I do respect peoples fears and 'oversensitivities' regarding omnipresent fragrant compounds. If IFRA, i.e.the lobby of the perfume industry, had opted for labels they could have had those for the EU, at least for perfume classics, I am sure. From info collected now, IFRA was originally founded in the US. It is now (or also) domiciled next to the legislators in Brussels. What some now call 'stupid EU legislation' has actually been hatched by the global industry. I am at a total loss to understand what's going on behind those locked doors of the French national organization.
    Huh? I think you mis-attributed the quote. I didn't say "who wants to live forever?"
    Last edited by Nukapai; 8th April 2009 at 09:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    Huh? I think you mis-attributed the quote. I didn't say "who wants to live forever?"
    It mysteriously disappeared - how strange. I had seen it, and I quote by copying the whole post first, and deleting the bits I do not need for a reply. The posters name is always entered by the system. Please don't take offense. The argument is raised frequently and my reply was not meant to be personal anyway. I apologize for whatever error may have occurred.
    Last edited by narcus; 8th April 2009 at 12:46 PM.

I coined the term "peanuts v. perfume" in a press release two years ago to point up the ridiculous unfairness banning perfumery ingredients when, as you note, peanuts are everywhere.

Additionally, not too many peopl eknwo that peanuts contain aflatoxins and they are carcinogenic. http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA115491 just google peanuts aflatoxins.
    Anya McCoy - http://anyasgarden.com/
    Best of the Best awards - Perfume: MoonDance, StarFlower, Amberess, Light, Royal Lotus and as
    Project Leader: Outlaw Perfume and Mystery of Musk
    Basic Perfumery Course with lifetime access to the websitehttp://perfumeclasses.com
    America's First Natural Perfume Line 1991
    First Artisan Perfumer Voted in as member of the American Society of Perfumery 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Alfatoxins are produced by fungi that are common in nature. Stored grain crops can be contaminated by this mold. Here in the Midwest, the corn harvest is routinely tested. Other grain, seed, and nut crops are vulnerable, as well. It's one of those serious public health threats that goes under the radar for most consumers. Farmers are more aware of aflatoxin because they can lose an entire harvest (which no one will buy) if it is found, or their livestock will die if they eat contaminated feed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Smile Re: Carcinogen ingredients in perfume

Too much intellectualization. Damn the carcinogens! Full speed ahead! Eat, drink, fragranticize, and be merry, for tommorrow we die. What quality of life is there if there is no risks taken?

In the immortal words of Curtis Mayfield, "If there's a hell below, we're all gonna go."

who wants to live forever?
    So maybe you meant to quote monsieur_sparkle?

I would appreciate if you corrected your post.
    Last edited by Nukapai; 8th April 2009 at 07:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Meh, that site's veracity looked highly suspect to me. "Ethanol" repeatedly appears as a highly dangerous material, likely to cause all manner of mutation, spontaneous decapitation, etc.etc.

I wonder who's behind that little fear factory, and I wonder if they enjoy beer or wine...because it's a neurotoxin that's going to kill them.

Pfft!

Disclaimer: This post isn't an attempt at getting sympathy, just a bit of anecdotal info on how things in the environment can perhaps be behind catastrophic diseases.
    2 years ago, my brother developed Acute Myelogenous Leukemia and died within 12 months. Our family has never had any cancer in its history. He worked for the EPA and had been chronically exposed to benzene.
    The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society list benzene exposure as one of the suspected causes of AML. They state that all it takes is for one bone marrow cell to mutate to begin the disease.
    So, yes, I am concerned. But I spray myself daily.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 9th April 2009 at 03:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry for your loss.

I guess all I'm saying is that I'm not convinced that perfumes will be the cause of my death...and even if they could be...it's probably worth it, because I don't see myself stopping.

In life, quality trumps quantity, so spray away with wild abandon!

Post Thanks / Like

So maybe you meant to quote monsieur_sparkle? I would appreciate if you corrected your post.
    Done!
    Once more: I apologize!
    Last edited by narcus; 9th April 2009 at 06:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Out of all the stuff out there, we should be more worried about inoculating ever-stronger bacterial and viral strains, not whether simple cosmetics contain carcinogens. Cancer rates are rising for several reasons, most notably: a) detection is becoming more efficient and b) people who would otherwise die are passing on cancer prone genes. It has less to do with our lifestyles, I would venture. As it is, there is a pretty good system in place to make sure that nothing overtly dangerous makes it into cosmetics and consumer products (which is why you should ALWAYS be wary of sketchy non-fda approved "supplements" from out of country, the stuff that has been found in them would make your skin crawl!) and the criteria itself for what could be labeled "carcinogenic" is extremely vast. In the most literal sense, anything that is carcinogenic is something that can potentially disrupt DNA patterns in a cell and cause it to mutate. The possible culprits run the gamut from everyday chemicals to bromine (almost guaranteed skin cancer from contact) to cosmic rays (something astronauts are very at risk for)

This stuff is probably the least of your worries

Bravo.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Carcinogen ingredients in perfume un petit exposé

a report on cosmeticsdatabase from Octavian of 1000fragrances blog!
    http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/2...-database.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    In life, quality trumps quantity, so spray away with wild abandon!
    One could say that about anything, including cigarettes and alcohol abuse. Sure, I'll take quality over quantity, but I was just as happy before getting into fragrances as I am now. If there was convincing evidence that fragrance use had a substantial impact on health or lowered life expectancy, I would stop using in a heartbeat and not give it a second thought since there are plenty of other more important things that make me happy (such as family and friends). That said, there is little to no evidence, so I will join you in spraying away with wild abandon.

Post Thanks / Like

I think perfumes should be banned.
    I also think that tanning should be banned (Hey! pale skin is also beautiful!)
    Smelling bread.
    Cigarrets.
    Roasted meat.
    Airplanes.
    Cars.
    Cheese.
    And bacon. OH PLEASE BAN BEACON. (I am not sure if I am saying this sarcastically or not).
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Actually external factors ie exposure to certain substances play a big part in developing cancer. Diet is a big factor. Everyone has it within them to develop cancer, though some may be more vulnerable due to increased inate capacity, but only some go on to do so (sympathies to you, Ruggles for the loss of your brother).
    There have been cases in London I think where the girlfriends of Russian tycoons have had to go to hospital getting sick because they were buying loads of bottles of pure perfume and bathing in it. Realise people were exaggerating when they say they will douse themselves in loads of perfume until their dying day etc etc

There is quite a lot of organic perfume out there if you check it out. Dolma do some good ones.

Came across the below website talking a bit about perfumes from an ethical perspective: http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/FreeB...ftershave.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrobium View Post
    There have been cases in London I think where the girlfriends of Russian tycoons have had to go to hospital getting sick because they were buying loads of bottles of pure perfume and bathing in it.
    I think you mean polonium.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I think that the most dangerous carcinogen agent around us is... life. Don't you agree?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrobium View Post
    There have been cases in London I think where the girlfriends of Russian tycoons have had to go to hospital getting sick because they were buying loads of bottles of pure perfume and bathing in it. ...
    This was mentioned in a syndicated article by The Economist regarding the perspectives of luxury goods businness in Russia and China. I posted a link on this, but I could not find it... Now, who in his deranged mind would ever think of bathing in perfume???
    Last edited by Pollux; 25th April 2009 at 01:12 AM.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Too much intellectualization. Damn the carcinogens! Full speed ahead! Eat, drink, fragranticize, and be merry, for tommorrow we die. What quality of life is there if there is no risks taken?
    Ahhhhh........a man after my own heart.

1000 years from now, will it really matter that you denied yourself certain luxuries in life to extend it by a few months or perhaps years???? Live your damn life and do the things you want to do without hurting those around you.

Getting OLD is not for the squeamish, I assure you. I've worked too many years in the healthcare field for the elderly that there is such as thing as living too long.

Help people while you can and smell damn good while you do it.

Oh for god's sake!

Being a carcinogen is not some kind of binary condition. Fried foods and ham and sausages are carcinogenic too; yet people who freak out about inhaling a few benzaldehyde molecules may quite happily enjoy their meal with a large dose of carcinogens. And roast coffee has over 800 carcinogens; yet people swig down large vats of it daily.

Just because something may cause cancer in some circumstances (e.g. when isolated and injected daily to a rat's liver for a year; or when applied neat to some lab cultures), doesn't mean it's going to actually cause cancer in humans in normal daily life.

SOME carcinogenic human activities are more dangerous than others. Tobacco smoking is just about the only thing that has very strong links to cancer - but some oncologists also say eating a diet predominantly consisting of red and processed meats is linked to higher incidences of stomach cancer.

A bit of perfume on your skin? Where almost none of it will absorb to your bloodstream? A few wafts of scented fabric conditioner? At worst, they might trigger an asthma attack or a rash in people who are prone, but all this carcinogen stuff is just infuriating scare-tactic marketing and media attention grabbing bollocks.

That's basically why I provided that link, Nukapal. For those who fear frags, I would ask, why aren't you afraid of all these other things?

Scented laundry soap gives me a headache and interferes with my perfume.

I have always avoided it.
    Last edited by Primrose; 26th August 2011 at 05:38 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Scented laundry soap gives me a headache and intereferes with my perfume.

I have always avoided it.
    Those are completely valid reasons for avoiding it though.

Not some carcinogen bogeyman.

As an aside, I never use fabric conditioner on towels because it makes them less effective at the job they're intended to do! I do like using fabric softener on my husband's shirts though because it makes ironing a lot easier

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Help people while you can and smell damn good while you do it.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Scented laundry soap gives me a headache and intereferes with my perfume.
    Primrose, I like your priorities!

I'm for labelling everything and allowing the consumer to choose whether or not they wish to purchase.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent - I've been looking for an excuse for years to give up doing laundry!

I've long since stopped paying serious attention to research studies (or at least articles claiming to report the implications) telling me what to eat/drink/wear/avoid. It's very difficult for a layperson to interpret the data on which many of these studies are based, and since the MMR vaccine controversy in the UK I certainly don't trust journos to give me the straight dope. I'll suck it and see.

Off now to down bottle of red wine and eat some chips fried in lard, all the while wafting around in an immense cloud of No. 5 ...
    Last edited by devilcat; 27th August 2011 at 04:15 PM.