Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 50ml or 100ml? How good is 100ml good?

I know that 100ml bottles are far better value than 50ml bottles, but then again 3 x 50mls can often be had for the price of 2 x 100ml.. Giving 3 different items, but overall still less.

Im wondering, who here buys 50ml and who buys 100ml? Just how good does it have to be to be "100ml"good?

Default Re: 50ml or 100ml? How good is 100ml good?

For me the issue isn't about "so good" I'll buy the 100ml. With a large variety of scents, I'll rarely wear any of them very often, so i always go for the smallest I can get. I wish more frags came in 30ml.

The 100ml is always cheaper per ml, but still, the outlay is higher and I know I'll have to look at the 100ml bottle with barely a dent in it.

Dior Homme Intense. When I found it online it was in a 100ml size. Haven't regretted it.

TBH it all depends on how much spare cash I have at that given time

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

100 mls for discontinued and/or hard to find frags. Otherwise i would rather buy 50ml or even 30ml bottles. With a large wardrobe, the cost-per-ml argument for larger bottles is actually redundant.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Beloved Man by Amouage

I always get the 100ml. It's a bad habit, and I only should do it with really expensive fragrances (e.g. Amouage 50ml costss $200, 100ml costs 250) or fragrances I know I'm going to use a lot. For designer fragrances, paying half of the price (~$20) for an extra 50ml I'll never use is not worth it. Oh well it's a habit I can't get over it seems.

I buy larger sizes of fragrances I consider to be current/future staples, and smaller of those that are leaning more towards fun or interesting distractions or reference pieces.

I'd rather buy 30ml or (if they existed) 15ml bottles as I prefer variety to having loads of one fragrance that I really like.
    Top 10:
    1. Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    2. YSL M7
    3. Tom Ford Bois Marocain
    4. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    5. Dior Homme/Intense
    6. YSL Opium
    7. Azzaro Pour Homme
    8. Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur
    9. YSL Live Jazz
    10. Burberry London

Lately in the discount shops and discount chemists, it is not unusual for the 100ml bottle to be on sale one week, and it's price being less than that of the 50ml bottle.

Thus the marginal price for the additional 50mls is actually negative.

More often though, the 100ml bottle gets discounted and the 50ml bottle remains unchanged, thus the marginal price is positive and pretty good value, for example,
    Before discounting 50ml bottle = A$60, 100ml bottle = A$100,
    After discounting, 50ml bottle =A$60, 100ml bottle = A$70

Marginal price = $10 for the extra 50ml, which is better value (except that I usually wait for the price to come down to A$40 or under for the 100ml bottle, which is better value)
    Renato

Yes, there is probably a tight relation between wardrobe size and packaging sizes. I have had only 1 or 2 frags up to now packed in less than 100ml bottle, and I never had more than 6-7 frags in one moment. So, small wardrobe leads to bigger package - I suppose.

Also, depends on how you do apply. I always shoot several (huh..., ok - many ) sprays. Therefore, bigger package is always welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    For me the issue isn't about "so good" I'll buy the 100ml. With a large variety of scents, I'll rarely wear any of them very often, so i always go for the smallest I can get. I wish more frags came in 30ml.

The 100ml is always cheaper per ml, but still, the outlay is higher and I know I'll have to look at the 100ml bottle with barely a dent in it.
    this.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
    I'd rather buy 30ml or (if they existed) 15ml bottles as I prefer variety to having loads of one fragrance that I really like.
    and this.

I'll always get the smallest available size. The worst are the Chanel Les Exclusifs, which only come in Costco-sized 200ml bottles. At around $200 this is actually a great price per ml, but you're stuck with more than you'll ever need. I've only gotten one, Coromandel, and at the rate I'm using it, it should last me until sometime in the 25th century.

Blog Entries

Good question & I've changed my opinion about this as my collection has gotten larger. I'll only get a 100 ml bottle of something I really love. Having said that, it is the same criteria I'm "supposed" to be using for any more fragrance purchasing whatsoever. I have way too many bottles as it is.
    We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men. ~Herman Melville

I don't want 100ml. 50ml is plenty.

Usually I go with the cheapest $ I can find online, whatever size that is. However, if the price difference between the 50ml bottle and the 100 ml bottle is small...say under $10, I'lll sometimes buy the bigger bottle.

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    100 mls for discontinued and/or hard to find frags. Otherwise i would rather buy 50ml or even 30ml bottles. With a large wardrobe, the cost-per-ml argument for larger bottles is actually redundant.
    Agree.
    And if you have signature, or you know probabely you will purchase it several times, get 100 ml, else buy 30 ml.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    I buy larger sizes of fragrances I consider to be current/future staples, and smaller of those that are leaning more towards fun or interesting distractions or reference pieces.
    How many larger staple scents have you emptied? Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Usually I go with the cheapest $ I can find online, whatever size that is. However, if the price difference between the 50ml bottle and the 100 ml bottle is small...say under $10, I'lll sometimes buy the bigger bottle.
    Me too. I prefer to buy 100 ml bottles and when I m bored, I give it to a friend or coworker or whatever.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tend to buy 50mls when I'm making brand new bottle purchases but when I'm buying bottles used, I don't really care. I like 50ml bottles for 2 reasons: 1) they're travel friendly; 2) I have a large collection and I don't need too much of any one fragrance.

I always get the 100ml bottles because I'm a picky bastard. If I enjoyed quite a few fragrances and started to grow a big collection, I may opt for the smaller bottle. But since I rarely buy full bottles, I know I'll like it enough to use it until its gone. If there was a fragrance I was on the fence about I may get a small bottle, but I usually just don't bother with scents like those. I only get bottles of things I really adore. If down the road I grow sick of it; swap time!
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by Big Punisher View Post
    None recently, but I have made noticeable dents in some. Considering I'm likely to live for a few decades longer, I will have time to use up some more...

I decided on 50ml or smaller, only a few bottles into my collection. I wish Profumum had smaller than 100ml bottles though - at their prices it's pretty painful, and I had a hard time choosing just one for now...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Punisher View Post
    10oz aluminum sprayer of Gendarme goes in 3-4 months

My usual approach is to wait until I can get some kind of deal on the 100ml and then buy that. Percentage wise, the idea of paying that much more for the box and the lid annoys me. But I tend to like things for a long, long time, and my taste isn't especially expensive, and I have a rare knack for loving things that are about to be discontinued. If those things weren't true, maybe I'd buy the small ones.

I always try to get the 100ml. I only recall ever picking like 6 of the 50ml bottles.

100ml or bigger is what I always buy. Not saying that I do the right thing but that's what I do.
    Even though I have 100's of full bottles & I know I will never get to use them in one lifetime, the price per ml difference between the smaller 50ml and the larger 100ml is far too much for me to digest.

I always buy 100ml flacons, because I get an extra 50ml for under half price!

As I use fragrances all the time, I always get a 100 ml bottle. I chafed at buying the 100ml bottle of Le Male as the local purveyor was out of the bigger bottle at the time. My 5th bottle of Gendarme ran out yesterday and again, the local purveyor had only a little bottle available.

I used to go for the large bottles because the ml/$$ amount is more favourable. In the last two years I have switched to always buying the smallest size available (except for hard-to-find, discounted scents). I haven't finished a single bottle yet so I clearly don't need anything above 30 ml (it also saves a lot of money). Even the scents I adore don't get worn much because I have so many scents that I adore.

I prefer bigger bottles. In fact, the bigger the better. I have no wish to finish any of the fragrances I have, and like my bottles to last as long as possible. I think this is a good policy when buying vintage stuff, stuff that's hard to find, or stuff that you're concerned might be discontinued.

To date, I've never had trouble with a fragrance going off (I am careful with how I store my collection), and think that's actually a more unusual event than is commonly thought.
    Last edited by StewartGallacher; 13th September 2010 at 04:27 PM.