Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: 50ml or 100ml? How good is 100ml good?

Since I've now amassed enough perfume to last me the rest of my life, I'm doing splits. I have a few 100 ml bottles that are two years + old now and I haven't even used half.

The one exception would be a great vintage bargain, or something I love that I know is about to be discontinued or reformulated.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

The larger your collection, the less of each frag you need. It is up to each person to decide what that is. But I have found, from my own experience, that it takes a heck of a long time to use a 100ml bottle of anything. I buy small now, unless I make a very decided choice to go larger. But, I personally don't care if I die before I use it. Younguns may approach this differently.

Caron Pour Un Homme, 200ml good. But, like Renato mentioned, it was one of the offers where it did cost as much as a much smaller bottle. Love the big bottle, should last a while!

I always get the bigger bottle. I'm not saying that's the most intelligent thing, but that's what I do. However, as my collection gets bigger and bigger I'm starting to see the point in getting 50 ml bottles of easy-to-find stuff.

FWIW.

If anything is worth buying, it's worth buying 100mls. To be frank, if more fragrances were in 200mls, I'd be buying them.

There is a reason Gueralain sell 1 litre bottles you know.

As for all you people not using up your fragrances, send them to me.

I have an addiction to the big bottles( I'm a pretty new collector). Unless it's amouage or something really expensive, I regret not getting the 50ml of most. When I look at all of the bottles as a whole there is no way of using them all without resorting to over spraying lol I vote for 50 ml unless it's one you adore!

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Caron Pour Un Homme, 200ml good. But, like Renato mentioned, it was one of the offers where it did cost as much as a much smaller bottle. Love the big bottle, should last a while!
    Amazon has a 25oz bottle for less than $3 an oz.
    I didn't know fragrance came in bottles that big! You'll be able to pass it on to future generations.

Quote Originally Posted by marc1 View Post
    Amazon has a 25oz bottle for less than $3 an oz.
    I didn't know fragrance came in bottles that big! You'll be able to pass it on to future generations.
    Actually there are even bigger bottles. Paco Rabanne Pour Homme EDT comes in a 1,000ml or 30oz bottle.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

It depends not on how good, but how fast I'm going to use it up, and how easy it will be to replace if it runs out. I think my record for finishing a 100ml bottle, when I had plenty of others to use, was three years.

If I've got not concerns about getting more, I'll go for 50ml. So much easier to handle and take with you on trips.

I used to buy 100ml because of the perceived value, but now I prefer 50ml or smaller as I'm conscious of having more fragrance than I can use up. Also, in some cases the 50ml is easier to handle/transport i.e. the Bvlgari Aqva pebble fits in my palm nicely in the 50ml.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I buy the largest size available, usually 100ml. Its because I spray anywhere from 10 to 20 sprays. Also, I can easily share it with others. Plus , i only buy perfumes I LOVE.
    I wear perfume twice a day. Once before work and then in the evening when I socialize with friends or relax with family. Had my son not had infant asthma I would apply once more before bed. No I'll dab a sparsely on my wrists.
    I spray anywhere from 10 to 20 sprays

You're my idol, lol.
    John aka Easykiller

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I buy the largest size available, usually 100ml. Its because I spray anywhere from 10 to 20 sprays. Also, I can easily share it with others. Plus , i only buy perfumes I LOVE.
    I wear perfume twice a day. Once before work and then in the evening when I socialize with friends or relax with family. Had my son not had infant asthma I would apply once more before bed. No I'll dab a sparsely on my wrists.
    Amazing just Amazing "Hedonist" your UN should be "SuperSonic" as I'm sure you break barriers all day with 10-20 sprays.....

btw, I always buy the biggest as it's the most bang for your buck and if anything can swap it , sell it, give it away etc...options are there...but obviously I have to love the scent, when it's not a 5 out of 5 rating in my part then I can always get it on a split....
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes Plus

I've stepped away from blind buys, so I am only buying things I really enjoy and plan to wear. All of my buys are 100ml, except for splits of course. If I'm buying online/retail, in most cases the cost difference is negligible for designer stuff. 70 for 50ml vs 90 for 100ml. With niche stuff, it's an entirely different story (for full retail at least).

Basenotes Plus

I prefer smaller bottles because I have so many I'll never use all I have.

It largely depends on six factors:

1) How often you wear fragrances in your wardrobe.
    2) How much you apply per wearing.
    3) How many fragrances are in your wardrobe (including back-ups).
    4) The likelihood of future fragrance purchases.
    5) Discontinuation and reformulation concerns.
    6) How 'stable' your personal tastes are.

I don't wear fragrances from my wardrobe on a daily basis, usually spray around six times, have a relatively small collection and don't have any immediate plans for future purchases. Based on this, 100ml is my minimum but, with vintage or pre-reformulated fragrances from the more esteemed houses, I may decide to acquire more.

As for personal tastes, this comes with time, experience and exposure to what's out there. Personally, I can't see mine changing that much anytime soon.
    Last edited by Trebor; 15th July 2014 at 10:19 PM.

I tend to buy what's affordable. Sometimes a sample vial may be only five cents to $3 cheaper than a 1 oz bottle of the same scent. In this scenario I'm likely to just blind buy it ( based on the notes, perfumer,company, and what reviews I manage to read or watch). I can always swap, resell or gift it if it doesn't suit me.
    Fragrance Omnivore

Quote Originally Posted by Nosey49 View Post
    I prefer smaller bottles because I have so many I'll never use all I have.
    +1............

Depends on how much I like a a fragrance and the price.

I prefer the 50ml but If its a staple in your wardrobe, signature scent, or you just adore the scent go with the 100ml. I got a 100ml of Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, and Chanel Allure Homme Sport with no hesitation.