Code of Conduct

Default Nautica Voyage hype

It's been compared favourably to Chrome and Cool Water, i.e. alot of people prefer it over these two.

I finally bought it thinking it would be a decent budget scent given how much i like soapy, clean fragrances. I've tested it over two days in hot weather (15-19 degrees celcius). I've got to say though that it smells cheap and has a very synthetic unpleasent background note.

What are other peoples impressions of it. Is it worth the hype?

Default Re: Nautica Voyage hype

I couldn't agree more. Here is my review from last year:

"This one really has me stumped. When I smelt this on paper it was rather pleasant, but regrettably on my skin it’s a whole other story! On the one hand it sometimes smells like fresh fruit and clean linen. On the other hand, all I can smell is a cheap (almost nasty) fabric softener/disinfectant smell.

When it does smell good, this is in similar vein to the fruity saltiness of Givenchy Insense Ultramarine; although not nearly in the same league as that classic. Unfortunately, this one doesn’t smell good very often.

There is definitely something nasty lurking under the surface of this. Most of the time all I can detect is a cheap, chemical, clean sort of smell. The sort of smell you get from household cleaners or air fresheners. This nasty note has an astringent quality to it that sort of reminds me of a disinfectant or even methylated spirits. It’s actually so bad that in fact as I sit here (at work) I’m wondering if I should go home, shower and apply Givenchy Insense Ultramarine!

Believe it or not this sells in stores here in Australia for a considerable $60 or more for 100ml. I’m just glad that I got mine a lot cheaper from overseas. I think I’ll put it in my bathroom to use as an expensive toilet deodoriser."
    Last edited by Lovescully; 27th March 2012 at 01:23 AM. Reason: typo

Wow. Your review sums it up so perfectly. I have it on my arm right now, that cheap fabric softener detergent smell is all I'm getting. Lucky for me I got this really cheap for 100mls.

My friend said it reminds her of the mouthwash they use at the dentist. Do I wanna smell like dentist mouthwash this summer? I don't think so.

I also bought it cause of the rave reviews (and cheap price). I hated it, it smells grossly synthetic. I'll take Chrome/CW over this any day.

Agreed. This is a terrible fragrance. Maybe calone doesn't smell like chewing on tin foil to some people.

Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    Agreed. This is a terrible fragrance. Maybe calone doesn't smell like chewing on tin foil to some people.
    Yeah. I'm glad that this thread got a few responses as it'll act as a word of warning to others who might be fooled into rushing to buy it.

It's a pretty good cheapie. I like the salty sea note and the fruity sweetness. Good longevity for an aquatic. Perfect for summer time at the beach or on a boat.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    It's a pretty good cheapie. I like the salty sea note and the fruity sweetness. Good longevity for an aquatic. Perfect for summer time at the beach or on a boat.
    Fair enough but I think we might have smelt completely different fragrances.

Double post

Blog Entries

Good thing I didn't buy this blind. When I finally found one for testing, it didn't meet my expectations. I'll take Chrome everyday and twice on Sunday.

As for Cool Water, I forgot how it smells like so I have no comment about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomKillsTime View Post
    Fair enough but I think we might have smelt completely different fragrances.
    Are you sure? Mine looked like this:

"I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Eugh...not a fan of that or citrus scents in general.

i like it.

I bought a 100ml bottle for $20. I think it is great for the price. Smells good and shouldn't offend anyone. I use mine when I don't know what to wear and want something light.

Basenotes Junkie

yes its synthetic, but I still like the scent. Try creeds if you cant stand synthetic smells.

For $10 it's hard to beat. I think it's kind of neat how widely Maurice Roucel's catalog spans. Voyage to Musc Ravegeur is quite a stretch!

I didn't know there was hype?

Basenotes Junkie

part of the "hype" is because of the price. It is the best $20 spent on a 3.4 oz bottle as of yet

I've worn Voyage happily quite a few times this summer. So, seeing all these negative comments I've just applied some to my wrist to see if I can gather what you're all going on about.

I must admit that sprayed on my skin, and then pushing my nose right up to it, does bring on a different perspective to that from smelling it from further away. Smelling its initial opening from half a centimeter away does remind me of another scent - Secretions Magnifique. Luckily that bilge note (which I can't stand in SM) wears away very quickly.

I wonder if perhaps your noses are more sensitive to that note than mine is?
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 27th March 2012 at 03:25 AM.

It's nice ... I'd prefer it over Chrome and Cool water.

It's probably the mimose note that turns you off. It's really loud in Voyage. Still a great fragrance for the price and it's hard to complain about something that has a cool bottle, is under $25, and smells better than 95% of fragrances at the same price.

For the price its a 5*.

Never personally cared for it.

...it smells cheap and has a very synthetic unpleasent background note.
    That's what I wrote in my review of it (over at fragrantica.com). Also, it may have been reformulated because I can't imagine something so irritating becoming so popular.

I just got hermes voyage instead!

I've tried the nautica but to me it is nothing to write home about.

I've got to say though that it smells cheap and has a very synthetic unpleasent background note.
    I agree, not good.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    For $10 it's hard to beat. I think it's kind of neat how widely Maurice Roucel's catalog spans. Voyage to Musc Ravegeur is quite a stretch!
    +1 ...

It's decent but nothing more. I own it but prefer Chrome and Cool Water over it.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

It's a Nautica; what did you expect? So what if other people raved about it? It's your money you're spending so the only nose any fragrance has to please is your own. And don't blame Roucel either. He probably followed the brief he's been given and delivered what the suits wanted. Caveat emptor.

I find it a nice, casual aquatic. I much prefer it to Chrome.
    Last edited by Rüssel; 27th March 2012 at 09:21 AM.

Horrible stuff. When Maurice Roucel makes a bad scent, it is REALLY bad (see: Dans Tes Bras, Nautica Voyage, Broadway Nite, etc).

Basenotes Member

I agree that some days this smells beautiful, like soft freshly washed linens, and other days I get little more than a screechy acidic scent. Never can predict which I'm gonna experience on any given day, and I have no idea why it is so hit and miss.

I will say, however, that Voyage EDT and after shave balm pairs very well with The Body Shop's Maca Root shaving creme and matching stick deodorant. Such a fabulous shave creme, and it has that unique floral aquatic note that Voyage is known for. So I keep a bottle of Voyage around pretty much only to layer in with the Maca Root on those days when I'm willing to take a chance!

Opinions so far seem evenly split. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting the heaven an earth but neither was I expecting something that is so offensive. I can't smell anything other than detergent.

I think it's a great cheapie. I haven't touched my bottle in about a year now but did happily wear it for several months. It gets plenty of compliments too. I recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Also, it may have been reformulated because I can't imagine something so irritating becoming so popular.

I was concerned about this as well. I tried it from about 6 different places, though, and they were all horrible.

I was torn between this and Jaguar Vision. I went with the Jaguar.

price point combined with the Luca Turin/Tania Sanchez review legitimatizing it seems to be the thing that makes it so polarizing. I like it, not wild about it, but for $20 or so, its very much worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Are you sure? Mine looked like this:

Haha this made me laugh. Good one.

I bought this at Marshall's for $16. After reading about it on Bnotes I thought it might be worth owning. The bottle is very nice and it looks good on my bathroom counter. That is the positive. I am neutral on the scent...it is plain and unremarkable, but it is not a scrubber. Aramis New West is superior,
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

I smelled Nautica Voyage for the first time a couple of days ago at Walgreens. Before that, I had never even heard of it. I did not spray it on my skin. I only sprayed it on one of the scent strips they had on the counter. I actually thought it was a pleasant scent. I wanted to try it on my skin, but I declined because I was wearing Creed Virgin Island Water at the time. I didn't want to ruin the "good mood"

Nautical Voyage is strictly for the fans of aquatics. Unlike alot of "blue" frags its longevity is fantastic and it does the melon note quite well. I agree it smells synthetic, but so do a lot of high end frags. Personally I've become more of a gourmand fan lately but if you love fresh clean blue scents, Voyage is definitely worth considering, especially if you're on a budget.

I love this fragrance. It always gets me compliments and the women love it on me. I went out with this girl and she said she'd do special things to me if I would wear it.

Considering the price, it's alright.

For me, it's best not smelled up close. If I just get whiffs of it throughout the day, it smells nice, whereas if I sniff a spot I sprayed up close, it smells (unpleasantly) sharp and piercing.

On a side note, for those of you that own this, how is the sprayer on your bottle? Mine's pretty awful.
    http://soundcloud.com/lovejon

For once I agree with Luca Turin, but I'm still wondering how Nautica, having commissioned Roucel, "accidentally created a great fragrance."

This is what suprised me 1) I'm a fan of aquatics for summer and b) though I am someone whom has loved testing many niche fragrances (and having some decants) I basically own all designer and can find something to like about most designers... YET this stuff was horrible. I agree with OP...synthetic and cheap. I know alot of fragrances are synthetic but this is sweet bug repellant synthetic. Not good stuff and don't get the hype.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

It's been compared favourably to Chrome and Cool Water, i.e. alot of people prefer it over these two.

I finally bought it thinking it would be a decent budget scent given how much i like soapy, clean fragrances. I've tested it over two days in hot weather (15-19 degrees celcius). I've got to say though that it smells cheap and has a very synthetic unpleasent background note.

What are other peoples impressions of it. Is it worth the hype?

That's like "bring out your Christmas sweater" weather in the Philippines.

It's like 30-36 celsius here, the past month, noontime temps.

Anyway, I think Nautica Voyage sells pretty well here. But never tried it yet.
    LOWBROW TO THE CORE

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Also, it may have been reformulated
    + 1

chucked mine in the bin, Horrible smelled like rubbery salad to me lol..

I actually like the late drydown stage of this scent (where it has kind of a sweet, sparkling detergent vibe.) But I don't like apple based scents, so the top & middle notes are too annoying for me. Don't know why, but apple notes give me an "over ripe", rotten fruit smell. If the opening note was citrus based (lemon, lime, orange, etc), I would probably like this one.

I like it much better than Cool Water or Chrome. I think it's much more wearable.

I like it a lot.

It's a good, pleasant, clean scent if you are on a really limited budget. I have it but only use it as room fresher, I got too snobby for it, I can't believe I say that.

I think it smells fine, I mean it's a lot better than some of these crazy niche scents some people here wear claimed to be a masterpiece, but actually smells like cat pee, dust, and burnt hair haha.

^^^ no doubt no doubt. I think Nautica Voyage might be the prettiest aquatic. Very pleasant stuff.

Its decent for the price. I agree, i really liked it on paper but on my skin it just smells synthetic and almost irritating. Its not bad but not too good either. I DEFINITELY prefer cool water and chrome as i own all three of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerbia View Post
    I think it smells fine, I mean it's a lot better than some of these crazy niche scents some people here wear claimed to be a masterpiece, but actually smells like cat pee, dust, and burnt hair haha.
    The "cat pee" might be honey with some other notes. The dust I'd say is a very dry wood/incense (I don't like those). Burnt hair could be cistus labdanum.

I've tested it over two days in hot weather (15-19 degrees celcius).
    ...is that a joke? ~/59-66.2 degrees fahrenheit.. hot weather? Haha, wut.

It's around 1:30 AM (night time) where I'm at, and it's like 25 celsius outside.. Heck, my AC unit is set higher than 19C :P.

Edit: Hm, nm, are the high's in London typically around 70 in a given year? Still, I don't consider that hot.. it gets 95+ where I'm at (Texas).
    Last edited by ILikePeeps; 16th June 2012 at 07:18 AM.