Code of Conduct

Default How many joined Basenotes to find a new signature scent

Hey Guys,

I joined Basenotes a few years ago, but really actually got involved in the past 3-4 months or so. I joined with the purpose of dethroning my signature Le Male for something different. I knew that there were other great fragrances out there and I wanted to experience them! Basenotes slowly became an addition and I was building up a wish list, about 30 strong, and bought up about 10 fragrances within the month.

Things seemed to be spiraling out of control and I recently came down to the process of cutting it down, because I was soon loosing sight of my goal - a signature scent (or a few ~3-4)

Anyone else have a similar experience as me when they first joined? Whats your story?

PS. For those curious I think I have narrowed it down to this

1. Body Kouros
    2. Dior Homme Intense/Gurlain L'instant Extreme (most likely Dior though, I didn't love Gurlain L'instant regular)
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. (Rochas Man, If my Gourmand taste isn't satisfied by #2)
    5. (Platnium Egoiste if my fresher taste isn't satisfied by #3)

6. For the months of April-Sept - Fire Island Bond No.9

DeepSilence

Default Re: How many joined Basenotes to find a new signature scent

At first i wanted to find best male fragrance in the world!! and yes i wanted to find my signature. but after i tried favourites BNers fragrances, i wanted to have several signatures, Creed SMW, Envy, Drakkar Noir, Sauvage, ... (about 4-5 fragrances). Now, What's the signature?!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamid View Post
    ...Now, What's the signature?!
    Indeed

I joined with the vague idea of having a small collection, maybe 4-5 fragrances. I've now got about 20, there are 20 or so more on my wishlist, and I'm not entirely sure where this is going to end. But I'm enjoying it so far.

Guilty as charged. I found Basenotes while trying to find a replacement for my discontinued signature scent (Caswell-Massey Persian Leather). After almost four years, my wardrobe is up to 80 or so bottles, and my dream of having a single signature scent is long forgotten.

As for a replacement for PL, the best I could find was Zino.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Basenotes Institution

Similar story - looking for a signature scent, lurked a lot on Basenotes and then joined because I really wanted to know more about perfume . Since then, the original signature scent idea flew out of the window and was replaced with a fragrant obssesion. Basenotes has taught me so much about perfume , I can only be grateful !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Yup! I sure did. But I had every intention on staying because I've been interested in fragrances far before I knew about Basenotes.

I had everyone narrow the ones I chose down, and almost everyone told me to get Gucci Pour Homme II. I ended up getting 212 on Ice because GPHII smelled weird to me.. only for the 212 to collect dust and for the Gucci to become my most worn fragrance. I've certainly learned a lot and have been able to refine my tastes and make lots of new friends on here! I'm glad I did stick around. I feel a good amount of pity for the people who only make a couple posts and then leave.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

THe first fragrance site I discovered was perfumeemporium.com. I use to go on there and check the user ratings and comments on different fragrances. When I started lurking and occassionally posting a comment here and there on that site, I only had 4 fragrances:Liz Claiborne Mambo, Joop was finishing and I decided when it did, I would get Versace Blue jeans, and Dolce & Gabanna. But after buying the Dolce and Blue Jeans, my father took a liking to both and bought them. When he started wearing Dolce, I got tired of it, and refused to wear the same fragrance as my father. So I began to do searches on "best colognes", and eventually came across basenotes. So I guess I was looking for a new signature scent, and thanfully, I came across several great scents. Love this site.

Didn't really join to find a new signature scent, but rather just learn about new fragrances out in the market which I didn't already have in my collection, from members who are better informed than I.

Cool! Thanks for all the responses. I should be a bit more clear, I LOVE that I joined basenotes and love learning about my new cologne hobby - its fascinating to me. Its a wonderful community as well!