Code of Conduct

Default Morbid fragrances

I recieved my Amouage samples today, most of them was nice, but I put on some Amouage Gold Man on my hand - and it litteraly made me nauseous. I tried scrubbing it off but it got even worse. To me it's a very evocative scent in a very bad way. It makes me feel I'm alone in a house/church full of long dead people staring at me wanting to eat my soul. Like being in the middle of an old horror movie starring Vincent Price - not from the comfort of your sofa, but being right there. The notes should read: melancholia, morbidity, death, funerals, loneliness, horror and pure fear. I once was looking for a fragrance like this, enhancing your horror movie watching experience, but this is ridiculous. Yikes!

What's the most morbid fragrance you've experienced?

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by irrbloss View Post
    It makes me feel I'm alone in a house/church full of long dead people staring at me wanting to eat my soul.

Default Re: Morbid fragrances

I recieved my Amouage samples today, most of them was nice, but I put on some Amouage Gold Man on my hand - and it litteraly made me nauseous. I tried scrubbing it off but it got even worse. To me it's a very evocative scent in a very bad way. It makes me feel I'm alone in a house/church full of long dead people staring at me wanting to eat my soul. Like being in the middle of an old horror movie starring Vincent Price - not from the comfort of your sofa, but being right there. The notes should read: melancholia, morbidity, death, funerals, loneliness, horror and pure fear. I once was looking for a fragrance like this, enhancing your horror movie watching experience, but this is ridiculous. Yikes!

These are the notes listed at Fragrantica.com:
    Amouage Gold pour Homme by Amouage is a woody floral musk fragrance for men. Amouage Gold pour Homme was launched in 1998. Top notes are rose hip, incense and lily-of-the-valley; middle notes are orris root, jasmine and myrrh; base notes are amber, sandalwood, patchouli, musk, civet, oakmoss and cedar.

Perhaps it was the incense, myrrh, civet and musk triggered s.t. for you?
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

irrbloss:
    Myrrh typically has the effect on me you describe. I never thought of it as morbid, but as old and rotting -- I can see your point. I would never buy a myrrh-heavy fragrance.

But I think frankincense can be nice.

I guess it's an obvious one to mention, but ELdO's Secretions Magnifiques heads the top of my "morbid fragrances" list. I don't get the semen or even blood part as much as I get the stench of that inch of scummy water at the bottom of a vase of dead flowers.

Wow that's depressing, I'll never buy Amouage gold now...

LOL i hear it's the ultimate aldehydic perfume... like Chanel No. 5 however, i never got a chance to test gold *sigh*

morbid scent...hmm the only scent which repelled me to the core at first was Francesco Smalto PH...however, i grew to like this one later

Sur la Plage

Salvador Dali pour Homme
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Oh man, Gold is very nice. This bashing Gold has often been getting remains a mystery to me. In fact, I'm gonna wear it to bed now.

But speaking of such effects, a few weeks ago I sprayed Keihl's Musk on my friends shirt after he succumbed to my description of its glorious history just to have him LITERALLY puke after 10 minutes. He remained nauseous the whole day and had to leave the office early.

No 88 = death in a bottle!

Quote Originally Posted by vonMises View Post
    irrbloss:
    Myrrh typically has the effect on me you describe. I never thought of it as morbid, but as old and rotting -- I can see your point. I would never buy a myrrh-heavy fragrance.
    I hugely ENJOY (it makes fun wearing it) Serge Lutens' La Myrrhe and the myrrh base is fantastic and irresistible for me.

No. 88 is a good call for 'morbid' and I'll add Dark Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    +1
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

For me it was Sybaris many years ago given to me as a gift. Never again

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    Oh man, Gold is very nice. This bashing Gold has often been getting remains a mystery to me. In fact, I'm gonna wear it to bed now.

But speaking of such effects, a few weeks ago I sprayed Keihl's Musk on my friends shirt after he succumbed to my description of its glorious history just to have him LITERALLY puke after 10 minutes. He remained nauseous the whole day and had to leave the office early.
    LOL - bet that's the last time he wears something you suggest.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post

Wow...No wonder so many people don't like us perfume lovers.

Messe de Minuit, to some extent. Evocative of orthodox churches and funerals for me, down to the smell of molding bibles, candle wax and overblown flowers, although I really love it precisely because of that slightly morbid quality.

Also L'Heure Bleue, which can be a little suffocating on a bad day. Old-fashioned make-up, hothouse flowers, violet-flavoured pastilles and melancholia.

I'm finding this thread pretty hilarious.

I find Encre Noir pretty depressing . . . . . now excuse me while I back off to a safe distance

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I'm finding this thread pretty hilarious.

I find Encre Noir pretty depressing . . . . . now excuse me while I back off to a safe distance
    Oh yeah, that's a dark fragrance I actually enjoy. It feels like an empty concrete building after rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpinett
    Messe de Minuit, to some extent. Evocative of orthodox churches and funerals for me, down to the smell of molding bibles, candle wax and overblown flowers, although I really love it precisely because of that slightly morbid quality.

Also L'Heure Bleue, which can be a little suffocating on a bad day. Old-fashioned make-up, hothouse flowers, violet-flavoured pastilles and melancholia.
    To me Messe de Minuit is morbid in a "cosy" way. I agree with L'Heure Bleue, Amouge Gold got a similar vibe, but a lot worse.

Gucci Pour Homme. Definitely get the church smell vibe from it, but I like it.

To me Messe de Minuit is morbid in a "cosy" way. I agree with L'Heure Bleue, Amouge Gold got a similar vibe, but a lot worse.
    Absolutely! I should get hold of a sample of Amouage Gold just because and see if I get anything like a similar impression. Morbid fascination is a good thing!

Amouage gold at the beginning is not really that bad. It does smell a bit feminine. Very floral. hours later it does turn to smelling like piss.

I hope my blind bought Homage Attar which will be here any day doesn't smell like Gold. I got a sample of Tribute Attar which was really nice, so was Lyric and Dia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    Oh yeah, that's a dark fragrance I actually enjoy. It feels like an empty concrete building after rain.
    Then I really have to try it!

To me and in my opinion, Penhaligons Hammam Bouquet has the unique gift to be both morbid and nauseating- I feel like being drowned in seemingly unending quantities of cheap, yet lethal and mood-deteriorating alcohol.

I would have to say CdG Odeur 53. It reminds me of a thoroughly sanitized hospital or dentist's room, full of shiny, sharp objects and machinery, ready to cut into me.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

+1 Messe de Minuit Etro

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesD View Post
    I guess it's an obvious one to mention, but ELdO's Secretions Magnifiques heads the top of my "morbid fragrances" list. I don't get the semen or even blood part as much as I get the stench of that inch of scummy water at the bottom of a vase of dead flowers.
    ... yes, me too, but that is as nauseating as the civet in Guerlain Jicky. It keeps things - alive French perfumery at its best. I'm really on the start likeing it, keep smelling it ... on my skin, oh my god! what the F... :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOSjF3bCEBc

The 5 stars in The Guide are well deserved. It is a good one once You realize that the ad copy is a joke - and the public reception by public perfume addicts goes into the trap. In the end it comes out to be morbid, exposing the dreadfull business with preoccupations of what smells gooood, go figure!

Everyday people got more a fresh feel from it, something natural not to be named in the moment, though. They all got a tiny hint on rot, but not that much to be repellent.

For completness: pojection is tamed and longevity could be better, so it is more a 4.5 out of 5. On the other hand the radiance is outstanding. It fills a room with fresh green apple from the blotter easily.

Terre D'Hermes is an undertakers scent so far.

ELdO's Charogne. The name says it all.

Aside from that, some Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab fragrances are rather macabre.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Gold is pretty bad, that's why i never wore it on skin, I placed a tiny dab on a card, and it survived for over a month. I wouldn't dare have worn it. It's #1 on my list of least wearable, clearly ahead of Kouros, Joop, and Quorum. The only fragrance is dislike near as much as Amouage Gold is British Sterling.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Beyond Paradise for Men.

I guess if one looks at it from a certain perspective, only one place could be beyond (but in no way better than) paradise
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Basenotes Institution

L'Anarchiste by Caron

As IndieGuy once described it, it 'smells like a nosebleed'.

Mitsouko=dirty horse stall+death on my skin.
    The nose wants what it wants!

There's a Demeter frag called "Funeral Home." Got it out of curiosity and a 5.00 price tag. It is EXACTLY what it claims to be. Flowers, mold, wood, furniture polish. When i tried it on, I felt like a ghost entered the room. I threw it out the day I got it.

fountain

Quote Originally Posted by b0n3z View Post
    Gucci Pour Homme. Definitely get the church smell vibe from it, but I like it.
    what's morbid about the church smell pls? i don't quite get it.

fountain

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Beyond Paradise for Men.

I guess if one looks at it from a certain perspective, only one place could be beyond (but in no way better than) paradise
    beyond paradise for men is celestial, imo.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Fountain View Post
    what's morbid about the church smell pls? i don't quite get it.
    Me neither.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I once got ridiculed and an infraction violation against me for making a similar thread "death scents".. Maybe it was my choice of thread title. Needless to say, my choice then is about the same as now.. Grey Flannel. Although I've spent more time with it and don't hate it as much, it still reminds me of death. Only this time, it reminds me of violets at a funeral. While the fragrance in the casket at the funeral would probably be something like Narciso Rodriguez. :Barf: