Code of Conduct

Default I'm Visiting Grasse next month!!!

I'm so excited - I plan on visiting Grasse next month and will also be doing the tour/workshop

I had the opportunity to see the place whilst visiting that area of France two years ago, but, we only had limited time and ended up spending it in Monte Carlo instead (also a great experience).

Has anybody been to Grasse and if so, what did you think of it?

Default Re: I'm Visiting Grasse next month!!!

I'm green with envy.... I'll carry your bags for you......

Have a look at this. Is this where you mean? I was looking at it only this morning and wishing I could go there one day.

http://www.galimard.com/index.php/en...in-grasse.html

or at Eze

http://www.galimard.com/index.php/en...e-village.html

It's very nice. Try going to the Galimard, Fragonard, and Molinard. All quite nice IMO.

I'm going to try and squash it all in! (although on the tour we will be on - it mentions 'visiting Fragonard' - so not sure exactly whats included). Still, I'm sure it'll be good. I will be thinking about the film - Story of a murderer...... -

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I hope they let you take some photos!

Post Thanks / Like

If you have time you must visit the Museum of Perfumery, which is not attached to any one company. I have not been there for many years, but found it fascinating when I did visit. I have heard that the museum was closed for a while, for a redesign, but I don't know how true this is. Anyway, it is a place that I heartily recommend.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I was in Grasse last September. It was quite different from what I had thought. Rose and Jasmine fields all behind walls, more or less inaccessible, the landscape is much more hilly than expected. I really liked it though. I loved our trips to small villages in the mountains. Very very pittoresque!
    I enjoyed the Museum of Perfumery very much. Go sniff pure skatol
    The city of Grasse itself is not earthshaking.
    Galimard, Fragonard, and Molinard are very commercial, made up for masses of tourists to buy cheap scents. Some scents are copys of known scents (I smelled copies of Le Male, Infusion d'Homme). Well, there are some good scents, not to forget Habanita by Molinard. I think that's the best scent you could get in Grasse. You should take advantage and buy the extrait of Habanita quite cheaply. Maybe buy a good simple eau de cologne, some nice soaps and that sort of stuff. In general I think Molinard might be the best out of that bunch. The rest of it isn't worth spending lots of money if you ask me. Sorry, don't want to disillusion you, just don't expect too much of the perfumery in Grasse!

- - - Updated - - -

PD: take a good mosquito repellent with you. Our house was outside town, and we had lots of problems with mosquitoes. But maybe that was special last year. Everyone told us so- it must have been a plague.

- - - Updated - - -

If you understand german:
    http://www.parfumo.de/Benutzer/DieNase/Blog/Eintrag/Die_Hauptstadt_der_Parfmerie

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great recommendations, folks! I'm thinking of making the trip someday, and will be sure to do all of these!

Have a splendid time, CPL123!

I was there last spring, as others have said I enjoyed the Museum of Perfumery the most, it has a very nice collection of perfume bottles. Other than the museum, I also visited Fragonard which is very commercial, but it was fun to see the assembly line anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so envious!

This trip would be part of an excursion, but, after reading all this - I think we might try and make our own way there!- We'll get to see more that way and also spend as much time as we want - (excursions always rush you!)

Post Thanks / Like

i didn't like it. i also went in august, while i was on vacation in south france. all the flower fields where harvested. the city centre is nice, but it outer layers are ugly as sin. lots of modern small scale industrial stuff. i liked one museum, thought the others where crap, except for a garden, which was nice with lots of flowers and aromatic plants. one museum had vials with accords that represented common perfume notes, and i thought there where utter crap.

besides the flower fields, which i didn't get to see, there is very little left of what once was the centre of perfumery. it's now a tourist place, and a bit of a scam in that as far as i'm concerned.

sorry for the negativity. i really hope you won't be disappointed, and like it better than i did!