Code of Conduct

Default Caron's Le 3me Homme / The 3rd Man: how much akin to a barbershop scent?

I have been tracing information on this one regarding my consultation and I found several mentions about its powderiness and note-analogies to barbershop scents - however, these references do not mention which ones.

However, it is clearly regarded as a floral, while classic barbershop scents are fougeres. Thus my question:

- How would you describe it compared to fragrances with prominent talcum-powder notes like Jaipur / Habit Rouge / Royal Copenhagen / Zizanie?

- What about classical fougeres, like Rive Gauche, Cano, Wild Country, Clubman - even though it is a floral?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Default Re: Caron's Le 3me Homme / The 3rd Man: how much akin to a barbershop scent?

I own Rive Gauche and have a sample of Le 3me Homme.

For me Rive Gauche is the one and only barbershop scent.
    I don't get any barbershop from Le 3me Homme. I don't see a barbershop scent having all this sweetness.

Default Re: Caron's Le 3me Homme / The 3rd Man: how much akin to a barbershop scent?

What Suppressor said...

I own Habit Rouge and Rive Gauche Pour Homme. I don't liken 3me to either. It may lean more towards Habit Rouge in some sense. But I don't get it as "barbershop" at all. It's not as powdery as Jaipur either. Quite sweet, floral and as Turin says "pretty."

To me, Clubman and Rive Gauche are very barbershop. BUT, that's really kind of North American barbershop to a degree. Antico Caruso is said to be very barbershop too. Maybe Italian barbers use soaps and scents like that. I love Antico, but it doesn't conjure up any barbers I ever went to.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 14th September 2010 at 03:44 AM.

ok...i may be way off base, but i imagine the barbershop fragrance jj. gittes enjoyed following his haircut in "chinatown" would have been creed bois du portugal.

So i haven't smelled my dear 3rd man in a while cause i have been going to my school (highschool) and going in gym clothes every day (cause i hit the gym everyday) so i dont find it quite appropriate to wear such an elegant scent. However i shall go take a quick sniff right now and see what i remember. I remember NO barbershop though.

Alright so i remember it starts off with a sparkling aldehyde note, sort of like a sparkling mandarin.It is backed with a lot of florals mainly rose predominant with a bit of jasmine and tuberose which add a sort of smoothness to it all. There is a bit of carnation in it but i smell the 3 above more predominantly. At first it may seem a bit strong and heavy in my opinion but it eventually dries to a very elegant and smooth fragrance. It is very floral sweet and pleasant. I do enjoy this one very much

After the first hour 3me becomes much less flowery as the moss, musk, tonka, and (very slight) vanilla join the rose note to produce what to me is a masculine fougere. I would not call it a barbershop scent, but I like barber shop scents (basically those with anise or carnation along with the common fougere notes of lavender and oakmoss) and I like 3me very much. That said, it is a scent that is meant to be appealing, not appealed to, by those around you -- it is no Azzaro PH or Rive Gauche PH.

the one which lools like the more to 3rd Homme is Canoe-Dana. Third Homme is a little dryer

Sur la Plage

I do not consider it a barbershop scent at all.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thumbs up Re: Caron's Le 3me Homme / The 3rd Man: how much akin to a barbershop scent?

I don't get any barbershop from Le Troisieme Homme but some friends of mime do
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

3rd Man is a slightly sweet scent, with floral notes, but floral is not what i would call it. The oakmoss and vetiver in it temper the florals. Neither does it smell barbershop-y, like Rive Gauche.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

So, def. not barbershop-like notes in it, rather floral, but not sweet. Thanks a lot for your replies, they were quite instructive!

Quote Originally Posted by Makassar View Post
    the one which lools like the more to 3rd Homme is Canoe-Dana. Third Homme is a little dryer
    To my nose, Santa Fe is closer to 3rd Homme....I don't smell many similarities with Canoe. I also don't smell barbershop with Third Man.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74