Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Unsolicited Compliments.

I wear a wide range of fragrances, but rarely recieve compliments. Last Friday I recieved my bottle of Ambre Sultan and upon wearing it today recieved two unsolicited compliments, one from a lady and one from a gentleman and a very pleasant experience I might add. The only other scent that I get regular compliments upon is Mitsouko, so I gues I will be exploring more of the Serge Lutens line. I could get used to this compliment thing! (LOL)

Default Re: Unsolicited Compliments.

You can never go with Serge Lutens house. One of the houses I truly respect for creating such unique fragrances. However, while Serge Lutens has some easily appealing fragrances (Ambre Sultan, Chergui, Five O'Clock Gingebre...) there are also those fragrances which, well...which are not for everyone like MKK and Arabie, still worth the experience. Certainly a house you should check EVERYTHING from.

Basenotes Institution

That's great D ! So far, in my entire life - only one compliment for Mitsouko that's positive and 2 for Vol de Nuit.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I very rarely get compliments, don't look for them. But it is Serge Lutens that does seem to attract them.
    Cuir Mauresque and Daim Blond are two most recent compliments totally out of the blue.
    DONNA

Well, I have to agree... I rarely get compliments, but Chergui on me has drawn them a couple of times and yes, out of the blue Another one I have received compliments on is Enslaved.

I've been complimented on Borneo 1834 a couple of times, of all fragrances. I rarely receive compliments on my perfume.

Same here too. I got a compliment whilst wearing Douce Amere
    and several when wearing Daim Blond. Serge rocks!
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Basenotes Institution

I forgot- Opium ! A friend / acquaintance went head over heels for Opium after hugging me once and bought body cream and EDT !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

l don't look for compliments either, although it would be nice to get more from my SO! lt is nice when people notice & take the time to tell me when l smell good. Off the top of my head, the ones l've received the most compliments on are;

Montale lntense Tiare
    Yves Rocher Pur Desir de Gardenia
    Estee Lauder Tuberose Gardenia
    Sheer Stella
    My Queen
    ..and of course, "the scent of a woman" Shalimar!

Wow that's quite a few, l'm pleasantly surprised now that l've thought about it, good thread!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Apart from family, the only times I've had compliments on perfume were from wearing Evelyn and Yardley English Rose.

My most recent complement was on CdG Wonderwood, which I thought more of a skinscent. A colleague standing about 90cms away (whom I dont particularly get along with actually) asked me what my "nice cologne" was.

I also often receive compliments wearing Onda, Black Tourmaline, Turquoise, Derby, Black Orchid and Italian Cypress.

Yay for you, N_Tesla! I almost never get compliments, and never on Mitsouko.

Most complimented for me are Shalimar, Back to Black and Black Aoud.

That's nice. I never get compliments except from my family. I wear scent only for myself

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    My most recent complement was on CdG Wonderwood, which I thought more of a skinscent.
    I've said this in other threads, but I've gotten a lot of compliments for Wonderwood at work. None of the people who made the compliments sit near me, so they must have smelled it from a distance.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

It seems to depend on where I am. I get lots of compliments when I'm in New Orleans but rarely here in Milwaukee. I really think it's a matter of people feeling comfortable and relaxed enough to mention it, not that they don't necessarily notice or appreciate it if they don't speak up. In my experience Pink Sugar and EL's Sensuous are crowd pleasers (the crowd likes it sweet!) but I've recently received positive comments on Chamade, Azuree, Fragonard's Belle de Soleil, Chanel No22, Aromatics Elixir (!!) and Eau des Merveilles, all when I was in New York.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Plus

I rarely get compliments from anyone apart from my husband but it has happened with

Habit Rouge
    Etro Ambra
    Dior Addict
    Anne Pliska
    Helmut Lang
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I received 2 in one day when I wore Back to Black.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Aventus is the top compliment getter for me right now. Received a couple of complements on Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse 2 days ago and wearing Amouage Lyric today.
    Love someone today and it will come back to you ten folds

Most recently - and suprisingly - I got 2 unsolicited compliments when wearing The Smell of Weather Turning, by Gorilla Perfumes! I was shocked because I had just dabbed a bit on my wrists to sample, and went off to work! It's an unusual fragrance, and along with being a niche scent I NEVER dreamed of getting complimented! It seems like everywhere I go the only scents I recognize people wearing are Angel, Be Delicious and Light Blue. I love this stuff, and the compiments are a nice bonus!

You've made me so curious about that one ubu, and I'd be willing to bet you're the only person in Chesterton (maybe even in Indiana!) wearing it!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I've gotten compliments several times (o.k., maybe twice?) while wearing Bulgari Black, and just yesterday I got a "Well, you smell nice today!" from a coworker at the coffee machine while I was wearing Bois d'Orage (which means I now have an excuse to spring for a whole bottle.)

Fun! Even though I wear fragrance mostly for myself, it's nice to get the occasional compliment, isn't it? Emphasis on occasional, because I'm a light applier (at least, I like to think that's the reason it's only occasional).

I've been complimented three times: 1) Just today, TM Alien oil (by my dentist); 2) Sonoma Scent Studio's Tabac Aurea; and 3) Delrae Mythique, after a workout.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Last edited by Descartes; 29th January 2012 at 02:07 PM.

I usually wear either very light perfume or forego fragrance altogether at the dentist or doctor. This time, I skipped the spray fragrance but used the body oil because my skin was dry, forgetting that Alien oil is strong stuff.

When the dentist said I smelled good, I actually apologized and told him I hoped I wasn't invading people's scent spaces. He said it was nice to smell something terrific because many of the olfactory events they experience in a dental office aren't so nice.

So I guess it depends on the dentist. But I still plan to apply lightly or not at all in the future.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Quote Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
    Do you wear perfume when you go to the dentist? I asked once to mine about it and he told me to avoid it because is unpleasant while working and is socially not the right place to wear it like in a hospital.
    A dentist usually wears a mask over his nose and mouth also goggles to prevent water from the irrigation coming in contact with these areas. This will prevent some scents from coming to his olfactory nerve. I can see where your dentist can have that opinion, but there worse things he can smell. Try having to deal with rotten teeth from lack of brushing or drug use. If they do not brush their teeth, the likelihood of them having good hygine goes down quite a bit. So now, you are dealing with morning breath from 5yrs ago and body odor. If I had a pick, I would rather care for the person with some perfume.

I'll say this, it does not matter what you do. There will always be somebody that will find a fault in it. I try to do the things that make me happy without offending the masses. The occasional personal person who gets offended. I can't help that. If they say something, I apologize and go on. They have option to go elsewhere. If I am at their place, I have the option to change or go elsewhere. I have come to the conclusion that I am not going to please everyone. I live my life so that is pleasing to God, my family, and friends. I try to help those in need as much as I can but I know that I cannot help everyone.

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now. I guess your dentist hit a nerve, forgot the novocaine.
    Last edited by Scentdawg; 15th September 2010 at 01:32 AM.
    Love someone today and it will come back to you ten folds

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    You've made me so curious about that one ubu, and I'd be willing to bet you're the only person in Chesterton (maybe even in Indiana!) wearing it!
    Thanks Evangeline, for pointing out how "exclusive" I must smell!!! (I LOVE THAT!)

You're welcome!

Has anyone asked you for the name of it yet?

I have recently been complimented on Mitsouko, Chance, Kelly Caleche, and Hypnotic Poison. It is funny, the ones I would totally not expect to fetch a compliment are the ones that do! Crazy, man.

It's clear that your significant other now takes it for granted that you smell good and no longer compliments you. Time to show him there is an alternative! I suggest not bathing, deodorizing or wearing fragrance for several days. When you again smell good, the appreciation will come pouring in.

Banned

I, too, get compliment for Ambre Sultan. They keep coming when I wear L'Heure Bleue.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryBuff40 View Post
    It's clear that your significant other now takes it for granted that you smell good and no longer compliments you. Time to show him there is an alternative! I suggest not bathing, deodorizing or wearing fragrance for several days. When you again smell good, the appreciation will come pouring in.
    LOL! Is this meant for me? Devious, cunning plan, mwahahahaha!! Don't know if l could go through with it, though. l wear scent every single day whether l leave the house or not, l just wouldn't feel right without it, & l work in a hospital! No-one has ever complained about it, though, & l do avoid wearing the real powerhouse stuff at work.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Biggest & most consistent compliment getter for me- Balmain Vent Vert (current version) funny, no?

Other that have had at least one compliment every time I wear them:

Chanel Bois des Iles
    Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir
    Guerlain Jicky, Apres l'Ondee (my daughter's fave) & Samsara
    Ungaro Diva
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Basenotes Plus

The 2 that I have received the most compliments on have been, Le'a by Saffron James and Pink Frangipani by Lucy B. Several others too, Petite Cherie, Apres L'Ondee and L'Heure Bleue. Most likely because it's different than what everyone else is wearing. Definitely more compliments on soft feminine scents than powerhouse or quirky niche scents.

Yesterday, I wore Andy Tauer's Orange Star to work and three people in the course of the day complimenting. One woman said she would buy it for her husband! I wasn't expecting this.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

A woman complimented me on Safari for Men today--in the post office!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

Men complimented me for my N°5 pure perfume vintage, women for Après l'ondée, a boy for .... CK1!
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

one on dior addict, one on organza indecene,chopards casmir (men) one on delices de cartier and one on thierry mugler alien liquer (woman)

DeepSilence

Dunhill(2003) 3 times in one day.
    Opium Pour Homme(My ex-gf: She didn't use to show reaction, But in this case she told me)
    Cartier Pasha, several times, i don't remember exactly.
    Eau Sauvage: one day 2 unknown girls told me.
    Just this

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    A woman complimented me on Safari for Men today--in the post office!

You were lucky, I have not got yet. It's great.

Sometimes I do get compliments, mostly from strangers. People close to me probably avoid the risk of opening a discussion. At least this is what I tell myself.
    L'Air du desert marocain, Bulgari Black, Dior Addict, Aoud Roses Petals got compliments.
    But what I really, really would like to know is how do you SOLICIT a compliment. If it would work, I think I'd do it all the time!

This is my very first post. I don't know why I am chiming in now. I have actually been a "lurker" for years. I've learned a lot from my basenotes pals (I think of you as pals now. Isn't that funny?) Anyway, I seem to get a lot of compliments for my fragarances. Maybe it is because I marinate in them. People essentially don't get a choice about smelling me or not. I get the most compliments on: Amber Russe, Black Tourmaline, and Chergui. I can almost count on somebody complementing me when I wear those. I love Amouage frags and expect to get compliments when I wear those (Ubar, Lyric, Homage, Epic), but rarely do. And I KNOW people can smell me cuz most of those are potent. What I like best about compliments is that it opens the door to talking about perfumes (which is fun). Most recently, a compliment led to me finding a fumehead at work. I know I am not the only one who endlessly buys samples, reads blogs, and thinks about scent. But, strangely I kept this hobby kind of secret. It was fun to to find another fumehead who does the same things. We now swap samples. And all this started with a complement.

I've gotten compliments from strangers a few times while wearing Violetta di Parma in both EDP and vintage extrait.
    Rose Ikebana and Chinatown have also gotten me compliments.

I do get compliments (and/or comments) sometimes but I think it may be because I sell the Avon so people who buy from me tend to be comfortable commenting on perfume, makeup, hair.

The only actually unexpected, unsolicited and certainly no ulterior motive compliment I've gotten is on the Body Shop Love Etc, a couple of people asked what I was wearing and where could they get it.

GelbeDomino, we have a cat who looked JUST like your avatar when he was a younger, but has lighter eyes. He's an old man now at 17 years old, outlived his twin sister, and he's still beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-in-FL View Post
    GelbeDomino, we have a cat who looked JUST like your avatar when he was a younger, but has lighter eyes. He's an old man now at 17 years old, outlived his twin sister, and he's still beautiful.
    Ours is a she. Rescued from the street, like the others we have.
    BTW, she smells wonderful.

Many years ago, I was stopped on the street by a woman who wanted to know what scent I was wearing. I was wearing Tuscany at the time, which is probably my most complimented fragrance ever. I must dig out that bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    ...how do you SOLICIT a compliment?
    Like this: "Pardon me sir/madam, how do you like my perfume?"

If it would work, I think I'd do it all the time!
    There's the rub. There's always the possibility of soliciting an insult ....so it's probably best not to solicit if you're feeling fragile.

bleu autumn haze

One of my most memorable compliments was in a liquor store. I went up to the counter to check out and the young man ringing me up said "You have really good taste in beer and you smell good too!"

I was buying Duvel and wearing Angel.

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    One of my most memorable compliments was in a liquor store. I went up to the counter to check out and the young man ringing me up said "You have really good taste in beer and you smell good too!"

I misread this as " I went to the counter to check out the young man ringing me up."

Getting an unsolicited compliment on something you're wearing is a nice experience. Well, unless it's something you're sampling and you yourself hate it.
    - Expect the unexpected

Like this: "Pardon me sir/madam, how do you like my perfume?"

There's the rub. There's always the possibility of soliciting an insult ....so it's probably best not to solicit if you're feeling fragile.
    Better to let sleeping dogs lie. I get enough unsolicited insults as it is.

Better to let sleeping dogs lie. I get enough unsolicited insults as it is.
    Oh no! Lol dd - I'm laughing at how cute you are because I know this can't be true!

Oh no! Lol dd - I'm laughing at how cute you are because I know this can't be true!
    Just wait until I start that journal of perfume reviews by my husband. Look out Luca Turin! I would probably need to use pictures too, for the nose scrunch and the worried look about "what is burning", "what has gone bad", etc.

Just wait until I start that journal of perfume reviews by my husband. Look out Luca Turin! I would probably need to use pictures too, for the nose scrunch and the worried look about "what is burning", "what has gone bad", etc.
    Hahahaha - that'll make a good read! But it's a very familiar scenario - I've recently heard, "Was there a wet dog in here??" and the frequently used, vague but still insulting, <sniffing the air> "What the hell is that??"

It's very annoying, but very funny ....and he can come up with some rather astounding observations at times! I always solicit his opinion though, so I suppose I should be prepared for an honest response.

Hahahaha - that'll make a good read! But it's a very familiar scenario - I've recently heard, "Was there a wet dog in here??" and the frequently used, vague but still insulting, <sniffing the air> "What the hell is that??"

It's very annoying, but very funny ....and he can come up with some rather astounding observations at times! I always solicit his opinion though, so I suppose I should be prepared for an honest response.
    Hahaha, Evangeline! I am literally laughing out loud! Wet dog!!! That's too good! I ask for opinions too, but I am quite sure the responses are not honest. Lately I ask just for laughs. No one can possibly truly believe that food is burning on the stove, or that grandpa's empty room where he kept old wine barrels materialized in our living room (this one is from yesterday).
    Last edited by darkdreams; 24th January 2011 at 03:21 PM.

I know it - I'm laughing, too! "...grandpa's empty room where he kept old wine barrels.."!! Isn't it amazing how clear and specific their visions are?? I don't remember what fragrance he was commenting on, but Tony once said, "it smells like the inside of the fold-out couch my grandma used to have in the basement." So freaking funny ...and a bit weird!

(Sorry Tesla - didn't mean to derail your thread with all this "solicited insults" discussion ...not really what you had in mind, I know.)
    Last edited by Evangeline; 24th January 2011 at 03:29 PM.

1+ Shalimar. Well, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    And were you aware at the time that Duvel = Dutch for Devil? Adds a whole new layer of enjoyment to the compliment.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Off the top of my head, from people other than my husband, Caron's Or et Noir & Versace's Crystal Noir - hmmm, a common theme, "noir" in each name

Another post office compliment for me while wearing Histoires de Parfums 1889 Moulin Rouge.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.