Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a "manly" soap fragrance (like the brand, "Woody's" soap)

Hi !

Ok, so i need some inputs on a fragrance that would generate the feeling of clean-ness in a "old school" way.

Not in a old old school way, but like, have anyone tried "woodys", its a classic soap, not the floral way but just clean fresh out of the shower.

I am considering Creed Original vetiver which fits the bill 100 procent, its exactly what i am looking for but 100 dollars for a soap feeling is a bit expensive, so im currently considering it. So basically, is there an alternative to Creeds OV?

I have also considered Mugler Cologne, but i have heard that its kind of floral.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Abliss; 14th September 2010 at 02:14 PM.

Default Re: Looking for a "manly" soap fragrance (like Woody's soap)

Prada Infusion d'homme has a great fresh "just out of the shower" clean fragrance... its much cheaper than Creed and has an accompanying shower gel as well....

Hi

Yeah, I have a sample of Creed OV.It's OK, but not really a 100 dollar smell IMO. Muglar is relatively cheap and smells a bit like Irish Spring. Gendarme Grabazzi has a bit of a musky soap smell and kinda gives off a brown soapiness, so maybe you could sample it from gendarme.com. I tried Prada Amber, and it smells a bit feminine and starchy. FCUK has a vanilla lavender soapiness and is dirt cheap. Gendarme Green gives me a Prell shampoo soapy vibe.

Manly soapy fragrance? like woody soap? I've smelt very few woody soaps, and never found one pleasant, doubt they'll make perfumes of them.

Anyway, Prada is the designer house with soapy scents. L'Artisan Musc et Mure smells like expensive hotel soap. In the end every soapy fragrance I can think of is unisex, a few feminine ones out there as well. Try layering if you're really desperate for a woody one. The only manly soapy fragrance I can think of costs $200+, and it smells like your typical male shower gel, so I guess you'll pass on that one as well.

I need to clear up one thing. "Woody's" is a brand,

DeepSilence

Default Re: Looking for a "manly" soap fragrance (like the brand, "Woody's" soap)

Aaaah, Dunhill (2003). It's not woody/soapy and old-school scent. It's Soapy/fresh/semi-woody IMO.

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by Abliss View Post
    I need to clear up one thing. "Woody's" is a brand,

Ok

Default Re: Looking for a "manly" soap fragrance (like the brand, "Woody's" soap)

Prada Infusion definitely, Prada Man is also soapy but more elegant, less loud, powdery and is more refined in my opinion.

Prada Infusion D'homme or Creed's Original Vetiver.

I find the Pradas are more floral-soapy, like an expensive shower gel. For something more old-school and "masculine" (or at least gender-neutral), I like Mugler Cologne and Chanel Pour Monsieur. They both have a clean, fresh-from-the-shower vibe, with the Mugler being a little more musky and Pour Monsieur more citrus-powdery. Narciso Rodriguez for Him might be up your alley too, it's like a classic men's fougére that's been scrubbed clean and layered with cucumbers.

My votes for Mugler Cologne. It's one of my favs..

I'm not familiar with the soap you mentioned, but what about Paco Rabanne Pour Homme?

Definitely soapy, clean, woody, masculine and old-school.

I've also always thought of Paco Rabanne as soapy, but it's a bit too strong for me. Not a bad scent, just very easy to over-apply. Mugler Cologne gets my vote. It's very similar to Original Vetiver, yet not quite as sweet IMO.

Thanks alot of all your recommendations.

To sum it up for those who does not want to read my initial post, im basically looking for a cheaper version of Original Vetiver or the brand Woody's Soap

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGallacher View Post
    I'm not familiar with the soap you mentioned, but what about Paco Rabanne Pour Homme?

Definitely soapy, clean, woody, masculine and old-school.
    Thx for the suggestion.
    I have actually tried this, and as far as i recall it was a weird 80's kind of powerhouse which was too floral funky for me - i could be wrong thou, long time ago i tried it

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    I find the Pradas are more floral-soapy, like an expensive shower gel. For something more old-school and "masculine" (or at least gender-neutral), I like Mugler Cologne and Chanel Pour Monsieur. They both have a clean, fresh-from-the-shower vibe, with the Mugler being a little more musky and Pour Monsieur more citrus-powdery. Narciso Rodriguez for Him might be up your alley too, it's like a classic men's fougére that's been scrubbed clean and layered with cucumbers.
    Also thanks to you, could i get you to elaborate regarding prada being too floral - and also on the Mugler Cologne, cause i have heard that one was also kind of unisex floral.

Narciso Rodriguez i did not like at all, it had a very strong note i did not find pleasant, could be the cucumber?

So far i have:

Mugler Cologne
    The entire prada line (someone mentioned it was too floral?) Any futher comments on that one?
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Gendarme Grabazz

I would prefer not to get a unisex soap, but a fresh clean cut gentleman is what i am looking for (like stated above, a cheaper version of Original Vetiver) if possible.

Ill might end up have to purchase that OV

you can get a travel size of grabazzi for ceap on gendarme's website..it dries to a musky clean skin scent after about an hour..the top notes last about twenty minutes and smell, imo, like wet dog that just got out of the shower, but dries down to like one person said "brown soap" smell or maybe gold soap smell, certainly not ivory or dove....

I owned both mugler and OV and I would chose either Gendarme original or Mugler cologne over it anyday, and pay less...i found ov to be unbearably synthetic....it smelled good but eventually gave me a headache...i love gendarme, smell clean and on me also turns "musky" but not in an animal way, but like fresh clean skin that has just had a good sweat.
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Gendarme EDP.

I have OV, Infusion d'Homme, Chanel pour Monsieur, Paco Rabanne pH and have used Mugler Cologne, but the one that evokes the smell of soap and the cleanliness it gives is Gendarme EDP. Then again, there are many kinds of soap aromas (floral, creamy, etc, etc) but Gendarme smells like it was made as a fragrance for soap.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I have tried Woody's soap and liked it- soap and shampoo in one. It's a great product but I didn't really like it's lemongrass/citrus scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Abliss
    Also thanks to you, could i get you to elaborate regarding prada being too floral - and also on the Mugler Cologne, cause i have heard that one was also kind of unisex floral.
    It's not that the Pradas are too floral, but when I think of "fresh, clean-cut gentleman" scents, the Pradas don't spring to mind. With the exception of Infusion d'Vetiver (which I've admittedly only tested briefly), they smell rather more modern, unisex and powdery than the kind of thing I'd associate with a classic masculine soapy scent. Mugler Cologne is closer to that idea, I think, with its green quality (a bit of vetiver?) and musk, and I don't find it particularly floral at all. It is classified as unisex, but I've never seen it in the women's section. Paco Rabanne is perhaps even closer to the "clean-cut elegance" image. Although it's more herbal and less overtly "soapy" than the Mugler, it suggests essentially the same thing: Guy fresh out of the shower, hair brushed and collar adjusted.

equipage
    van cleef and arpels pour homme

I'm thinking Drakkar-Noire. Classic manly clean smell (in my memory anyway)
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Abliss View Post

To sum it up for those who does not want to read my initial post, im basically looking for a cheaper version of Original Vetiver
    This is what Mugler Cologne is - and it is not floral.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sweet, I get to be the first to recommend the very first one that came to my head! Penhaligons Raquets Formula, is 100% how I envision your request.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Trussardi Uomo - intense woody soapy smell

+1 Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme