Code of Conduct

Default Article: Sartorial - new men's fragrance from Penhaligon's

"Ozonic Effect"? This sounds aquatic.

I like the *name* of this scent!

A bespoke tailor's establishment in Savile Row, tailor's chalk and men cutting patterns and fabric, sitting cross-legged on large tables! French curves and measuring tapes. The smell of old wood panels and the look of coffered ceilings...

I hope the scent lives up to its name!

Thank you for the news, Grant.
    Last edited by Primrose; 15th September 2010 at 03:31 AM.

I know you can't judge till you've sniffed, but this one sounds wonderful on paper... and it's by M Duchaufour. Could be a winner!

I've been waiting for this to launch for aaages. I've been wearing it a lot recently and have quite taken to it

I love the name and the concept as well.

I get a touch anxious when notes are referred to as 'effects'.

But it is certainly on my "must try" list!

Aquatic could be scary, but I trust Penhaligon's to live up to the reputation of their house. Definitely a must-try.

Basenotes Plus

I wonder how it compares to 'Sartoriale' by Pal Zileri.. But I love fougeres & the notes look like it's gonna be right up my alley. So I'm pushing this right to the top of my 'test list'.

I have been lucky enough to sample this, it is extraordinary. It is the scented re-creation of a Saville Row cutting room. The ozonics are not aquatics but steam notes to represent the cloth being pressed. There are chalk and dust notes bedded through the lavender and okamoss. 'Old wood' effects , machine oil and metallic scissor effects with tints of old paper patterns in the weird vanillic drydown. The most beautiful note is the beeswax running through it, sweet, animalic and moreish. They use blocks of wax in traditional cutting rooms to coat the threads before stitching. This blends so well with the violet, geranuium and classic fougere notes. I found it a melancholy and muted scent, hauntingly grey, full of autumnal power, like wearing a bespoke suit home in the damp air of a dark city night, one's mind full of worries and the prospect perhaps of love and light at home.

Default Re: Sartorial - new men's fragrance from Penhaligon's

I'm anxiously awaiting a better sampling, but one of the guys that works at Lucky Scent had recently been to London and had a tiny test vial. He put a bit on a strip and I quite liked. Looking forward to Scent Bar getting a full sampler bottle.

It wasn't much of a test and my nose isn't one of the best, but my take away was that it is certainly not an aquatic. Didn't get the full dry down, but picked up a good bit of the beeswax as noted above. A lot of notes in this one. (Nice write up orrisboy).

Kevin at Now Smell This is less positive about this one. Still want to try it for myself.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Another "kitchen sink" pyramid. Let's hope it lives up to all those amazing ingredients unlike so many that boast a host of notes but end up a simple, single note frag.

four stars for this new offering by Penhaligons
    One of my favorite scents from this house . . . fully body, exotic eastern
    Bravo

Quote Originally Posted by orrisboy View Post
    I have been lucky enough to sample this, it is extraordinary. It is the scented re-creation of a Saville Row cutting room. The ozonics are not aquatics but steam notes to represent the cloth being pressed. There are chalk and dust notes bedded through the lavender and okamoss. 'Old wood' effects , machine oil and metallic scissor effects with tints of old paper patterns in the weird vanillic drydown. The most beautiful note is the beeswax running through it, sweet, animalic and moreish. They use blocks of wax in traditional cutting rooms to coat the threads before stitching. This blends so well with the violet, geranuium and classic fougere notes. I found it a melancholy and muted scent, hauntingly grey, full of autumnal power, like wearing a bespoke suit home in the damp air of a dark city night, one's mind full of worries and the prospect perhaps of love and light at home.
    You make it sound perfect. I am really looking forward to it.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

I've posted my review here on Basenotes. I was very impressed with Sartorial in an objective, critical way, but sadly, I won't be rushing out to buy a bottle.