Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Caron pour un homme eau de toilette

So I read how much this is a classic and decided to buy it blind last week. I decided to throw it in the trash after three attempts at applicaton. Actually, it smells somewhat like Playdoh, IMO. I do like lavender, but there is a note in this one that doesn't agree with me. What was your experience with it?
    Last edited by Hamp; 9th December 2011 at 01:12 AM.

Default Re: Caron pour un homme eau de toilette

That's too bad. I wish you had thrown it my direction. It's a Lavender bomb on me followed by a powdery vanilla drydown. It's one of my favorites.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

Beautiful lavender on musk , vanilla and oakmoss ...the perfume of classical seduction , a really must-have

Thrown away? A shame. It would have sold on the buy/sell forum rather quickly.

I too got the Play-Doh association. After trying the two side by side (literally!) I found they were indeed different. I haven't had that problem since.
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

I've never got Play-Doh from it. At first I found the civet in the top notes challenging, but I had made the mistake of sampling it on the back of my hand rather than giving it a full wearing. Once I gave it a full wearing, I loved it.

Love it and wear it all the time from a large splash (vintage 60's) bottle. Wearing it today in fact. Clean, comforting, and classy as always. I don't think you can ever go wrong with it.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Basenotes Institution

Nope, I never got Play-Doh from this.

I too hated CPUH the first time I smelled it. It took years for me to come around and now I love it. It's the epitome of lavender, vanilla and civet. Well...after Jicky by Guerlain.

The initial blast of CPUH for me is kinda unpleasant. It has this "dirty" lavender smell of the plant that has just been yanked out of the ground with soil hanging from the roots. But the dry down is just enticing and appealingly nice and clean. The first sniff is you get this like powder particles tingling effect on your nose. In the dry down, this all goes away. It 's just a soft nice blend of lavender and vanilla and powder. Gorgeous!!

A shame you threw it away.....for something a little more refined with some similar notes....try A Taste Of Heaven By Kilian...sold @ most Saks Fifth Ave. stores....it exudes elegance and the smaller travel spray bottle is exquisite....

Thumbs up Re: Caron pour un homme eau de toilette

CARON POUR UN HOMME ( Eau de Toilette ) is a masterpiece.It is a must have in my wardrobe.On me, the drydown is a fantastic blend of lavender, amber and vanilla.I think that all the members of my family used to wear it, since my both grand-parents, my father, uncles, cousins, etc...It is also one of my favorites, as well as the Extrait de Parfum, L' IMPACT DE POUR UN HOMME
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Piver

Sur la Plage

It's fantastic.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like my experience is atypical. Perhaps I got a bad bottle.

I don't like it. It's somewhat "one-dimensional" and harsh on me. Have you tried "A Taste of Heaven" from By Kilian (the only Kilian I might get in the future)?

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I don't like it. It's somewhat "one-dimensional" and harsh on me. Have you tried "A Taste of Heaven" from By Kilian (the only Kilian I might get in the future)?
    No. Not yet. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

To me it has a lavender opening VERY similar to JICKY edt (minus the civet of course), and then moves into a very soft and pleasurable vanilla, that I enjoy. Longevity is great too. I can see why 'ole LT would give this a 5 star rating.

I personally like it . I can see how others might find it annoying.

i think its got the nicest drydown of all my 200+ colognes. just got this, and i too found it disgusting at first. washed it off and chalked it up to experience. then i read someones review, and decided to try to get through the initial yucky beginning. holy crap the vanilla drydown is fantastic!!!! and its not girlie at all, its a very masculine, worth waiting for scent. that lasts all day long. gorgeous vanilla. you just have to get through the opening. now, i love the openning notes, although i get a lot of lime wich no one has mentioned. very, very nice. my first vanilla.

Pour un Homme has civet? I had no idea. I don't get the playdoh associations either, though granted I have only had my bottle for a couple weeks or so. I really like the fragrance, I could see myself wearing this one anytime and anywhere.

I absolutely love it

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    The initial blast of CPUH for me is kinda unpleasant. It has this "dirty" lavender smell of the plant that has just been yanked out of the ground with soil hanging from the roots. But the dry down is just enticing and appealingly nice and clean. The first sniff is you get this like powder particles tingling effect on your nose. In the dry down, this all goes away. It 's just a soft nice blend of lavender and vanilla and powder. Gorgeous!!
    +1.

Power Where You Need It

Love it!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

This is something I have been meaning to blind buy.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

If one likes the top notes of CpuH but doesnt care for the "Play Doh" base (which i love) d'Orsay's Arome 3 may be a good alternative.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Antico Caruso by Profumum

In my opinion, it does not smell too old-fashioned at all, to my nose, I sense certain notes which are very sensual, almost gourmand, at the same time earthy and non-nonsense

Interesting and quite unlikely combination

One of my all time favorites. I don't get the Play-Doh analogy at all, but it has been a long, long time since I last smelled Play-Doh.

Here in BaseNotes many like it, me included, and for many of the reasons stated. Away form this reason, being a classic is part of its allure, a good thing in Base Notes. Now, you might as well find it horridly bad due to whatever reason (you found Play Doh notes, I do get somehow similar notes to those of a dirty ashtray).

Just don't feel pressed at all the comments contradicting your point of view, you are entitled to judge it they way you feel. I only regret you throwing it away, I wish it were to my direction...

DeepSilence

I'm neutral. It's too sweet. When i wear it, i don't feel it's smell myself, but others say it's very good!!
    Also when i wear it, i feel a bitter taste in my mouth and i don't know the reason! If i sniff it on my hand very close(for example 1 or 2 cm) i feel it moves under my nose; It moves with a bitter taste, without a clear smell...(That bitter taste i think is for Vanilla) And as i heard it's property of Aldehyde fragrances, i'm not sure, i guess Aldehyde is into it. that it gives PUH De Caron negative score.

I like lavender scent but I was pretty disappointed with CPUH.
    Civet? playdough?
    I don't get any of these from the juice. To me, there's 3 clear-cut layers consisted of lavender-vanilla-amber.
    CPUH opens with a blast of raw lavender, yes! Though it's lovely, I find it still not quite enough to make me feel sated when I crave for a lavender boost. Maybe the lavender blast fades quicker than to my liking. I prefer the lavender in Gris Clair, which also smells like raw materials to me. But anyways, both CPUH and Gris Clair remind me of after-save cologne as it's supposed to be, so I'm not very impressed.
    The drydown smells mostly amber on my skin (with an appearance of vanilla fleets in between the topnote and the basenote stage). But the big reason why I don't like CPUH that much is, I've realized I don't like amber! The note smells a lot like the kind of medicinal oil us Southeast Asian used religiously when we have an headache or feel sick). So this explains enough. CPUH is not bad, but really, not so classic. (Oh it's pleasant though!)
    P.S: Yesterday I wore 10 sprays of CPUH and my friend asked me if I was sick (pshhhh!!!). When I told her it was because of the fragrance I was wearing, God, I thought she was about to laugh her head off! huhu...
    Last edited by Cute_cute_baby; 29th May 2011 at 11:00 AM.
    How does sunshine smell like?

I like it, but only in winter...during summertime in combination with warm weather it just smells "strange"

but I understand why so many people don't like it - in my opinion the problem is in the combination of raw and "oldschool" lavender with gourmand vanilla, those two elements are the most prominent in this juice and together they often make people "sick"
    Last edited by Morning Star; 29th May 2011 at 12:05 PM.

It's beautiful; I'm wearing it right now. It opens, I think, in a way quite shockingly unlike anything that I've come across. I liked it at once and have since come to love it & crave it - but it is something of a challenge at first. I very often go to bed with a book, my bifocals and a fresh coat of Pour un Homme.