Code of Conduct

Default Caron pour un homme eau de toilette

So I read how much this is a classic and decided to buy it blind last week. I decided to throw it in the trash after three attempts at applicaton. Actually, it smells somewhat like Playdoh, IMO. I do like lavender, but there is a note in this one that doesn't agree with me. What was your experience with it?
    Last edited by Hamp; 9th December 2011 at 02:12 AM.

Default Re: Caron pour un homme eau de toilette

That's too bad. I wish you had thrown it my direction. It's a Lavender bomb on me followed by a powdery vanilla drydown. It's one of my favorites.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

Beautiful lavender on musk , vanilla and oakmoss ...the perfume of classical seduction , a really must-have

Thrown away? A shame. It would have sold on the buy/sell forum rather quickly.

I too got the Play-Doh association. After trying the two side by side (literally!) I found they were indeed different. I haven't had that problem since.
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

I've never got Play-Doh from it. At first I found the civet in the top notes challenging, but I had made the mistake of sampling it on the back of my hand rather than giving it a full wearing. Once I gave it a full wearing, I loved it.

Love it and wear it all the time from a large splash (vintage 60's) bottle. Wearing it today in fact. Clean, comforting, and classy as always. I don't think you can ever go wrong with it.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Basenotes Institution

Nope, I never got Play-Doh from this.

I too hated CPUH the first time I smelled it. It took years for me to come around and now I love it. It's the epitome of lavender, vanilla and civet. Well...after Jicky by Guerlain.

The initial blast of CPUH for me is kinda unpleasant. It has this "dirty" lavender smell of the plant that has just been yanked out of the ground with soil hanging from the roots. But the dry down is just enticing and appealingly nice and clean. The first sniff is you get this like powder particles tingling effect on your nose. In the dry down, this all goes away. It 's just a soft nice blend of lavender and vanilla and powder. Gorgeous!!

A shame you threw it away.....for something a little more refined with some similar notes....try A Taste Of Heaven By Kilian...sold @ most Saks Fifth Ave. stores....it exudes elegance and the smaller travel spray bottle is exquisite....

Thumbs up Re: Caron pour un homme eau de toilette

CARON POUR UN HOMME ( Eau de Toilette ) is a masterpiece.It is a must have in my wardrobe.On me, the drydown is a fantastic blend of lavender, amber and vanilla.I think that all the members of my family used to wear it, since my both grand-parents, my father, uncles, cousins, etc...It is also one of my favorites, as well as the Extrait de Parfum, L' IMPACT DE POUR UN HOMME
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Sur la Plage

It's fantastic.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like my experience is atypical. Perhaps I got a bad bottle.

I don't like it. It's somewhat "one-dimensional" and harsh on me. Have you tried "A Taste of Heaven" from By Kilian (the only Kilian I might get in the future)?

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I don't like it. It's somewhat "one-dimensional" and harsh on me. Have you tried "A Taste of Heaven" from By Kilian (the only Kilian I might get in the future)?
    No. Not yet. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

To me it has a lavender opening VERY similar to JICKY edt (minus the civet of course), and then moves into a very soft and pleasurable vanilla, that I enjoy. Longevity is great too. I can see why 'ole LT would give this a 5 star rating.

I personally like it . I can see how others might find it annoying.

i think its got the nicest drydown of all my 200+ colognes. just got this, and i too found it disgusting at first. washed it off and chalked it up to experience. then i read someones review, and decided to try to get through the initial yucky beginning. holy crap the vanilla drydown is fantastic!!!! and its not girlie at all, its a very masculine, worth waiting for scent. that lasts all day long. gorgeous vanilla. you just have to get through the opening. now, i love the openning notes, although i get a lot of lime wich no one has mentioned. very, very nice. my first vanilla.

Pour un Homme has civet? I had no idea. I don't get the playdoh associations either, though granted I have only had my bottle for a couple weeks or so. I really like the fragrance, I could see myself wearing this one anytime and anywhere.

I absolutely love it

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    The initial blast of CPUH for me is kinda unpleasant. It has this "dirty" lavender smell of the plant that has just been yanked out of the ground with soil hanging from the roots. But the dry down is just enticing and appealingly nice and clean. The first sniff is you get this like powder particles tingling effect on your nose. In the dry down, this all goes away. It 's just a soft nice blend of lavender and vanilla and powder. Gorgeous!!
    +1.

Love it!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

This is something I have been meaning to blind buy.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

If one likes the top notes of CpuH but doesnt care for the "Play Doh" base (which i love) d'Orsay's Arome 3 may be a good alternative.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

In my opinion, it does not smell too old-fashioned at all, to my nose, I sense certain notes which are very sensual, almost gourmand, at the same time earthy and non-nonsense

Interesting and quite unlikely combination

One of my all time favorites. I don't get the Play-Doh analogy at all, but it has been a long, long time since I last smelled Play-Doh.

Here in BaseNotes many like it, me included, and for many of the reasons stated. Away form this reason, being a classic is part of its allure, a good thing in Base Notes. Now, you might as well find it horridly bad due to whatever reason (you found Play Doh notes, I do get somehow similar notes to those of a dirty ashtray).

Just don't feel pressed at all the comments contradicting your point of view, you are entitled to judge it they way you feel. I only regret you throwing it away, I wish it were to my direction...

DeepSilence

I'm neutral. It's too sweet. When i wear it, i don't feel it's smell myself, but others say it's very good!!
    Also when i wear it, i feel a bitter taste in my mouth and i don't know the reason! If i sniff it on my hand very close(for example 1 or 2 cm) i feel it moves under my nose; It moves with a bitter taste, without a clear smell...(That bitter taste i think is for Vanilla) And as i heard it's property of Aldehyde fragrances, i'm not sure, i guess Aldehyde is into it. that it gives PUH De Caron negative score.

I like lavender scent but I was pretty disappointed with CPUH.
    Civet? playdough?
    I don't get any of these from the juice. To me, there's 3 clear-cut layers consisted of lavender-vanilla-amber.
    CPUH opens with a blast of raw lavender, yes! Though it's lovely, I find it still not quite enough to make me feel sated when I crave for a lavender boost. Maybe the lavender blast fades quicker than to my liking. I prefer the lavender in Gris Clair, which also smells like raw materials to me. But anyways, both CPUH and Gris Clair remind me of after-save cologne as it's supposed to be, so I'm not very impressed.
    The drydown smells mostly amber on my skin (with an appearance of vanilla fleets in between the topnote and the basenote stage). But the big reason why I don't like CPUH that much is, I've realized I don't like amber! The note smells a lot like the kind of medicinal oil us Southeast Asian used religiously when we have an headache or feel sick). So this explains enough. CPUH is not bad, but really, not so classic. (Oh it's pleasant though!)
    P.S: Yesterday I wore 10 sprays of CPUH and my friend asked me if I was sick (pshhhh!!!). When I told her it was because of the fragrance I was wearing, God, I thought she was about to laugh her head off! huhu...
    Last edited by Cute_cute_baby; 29th May 2011 at 12:00 PM.
    How does sunshine smell like?

I like it, but only in winter...during summertime in combination with warm weather it just smells "strange"

but I understand why so many people don't like it - in my opinion the problem is in the combination of raw and "oldschool" lavender with gourmand vanilla, those two elements are the most prominent in this juice and together they often make people "sick"
    Last edited by Morning Star; 29th May 2011 at 01:05 PM.

It's beautiful; I'm wearing it right now. It opens, I think, in a way quite shockingly unlike anything that I've come across. I liked it at once and have since come to love it & crave it - but it is something of a challenge at first. I very often go to bed with a book, my bifocals and a fresh coat of Pour un Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    The initial blast of CPUH for me is kinda unpleasant. It has this "dirty" lavender smell of the plant that has just been yanked out of the ground with soil hanging from the roots. But the dry down is just enticing and appealingly nice and clean.
    Agreed, the opening might put some off. It's an aggressive lavender no matter how you look at it. This is one that might require patience and a few tries for some, but it truly is an excellent classic.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Didn't require any patience from me...The very first time I splashed a little on I loved the initial lavender...In fact I thought "This must be what Heaven smells like"...I felt that the first time I smelled Acqua di Parma, but this was even better...My wife was immediately knocked out...She loved it...It was a cloud of powdery lavender that turned into a powdery Vanilla Amber dry-down...The loveliest dry down ever...Theres something else going on that I can't put my finger on...Almost a pepper note but not...Its great too...I've looked for the Play-doh accord but nope...not at all...
    Now I'm addicted and crave it....I can see a 750ml in my future.
    Last edited by be-bop; 6th December 2011 at 09:19 PM.
    "Music Is My Mistress, and She Plays Second Fiddle To No One"-Ellington

Good stuff.

I prefer a Taste of Heaven By Kilian. I find it to be more complex and it avoids an undefined top note (civet?)that I don't enjoy in Caron pour un Homme. I also enjoy Gris Clair by Serge Lutens, altough you've got to enjoy the vibe that runs through many of their offerings.
    Last edited by Oproust; 9th December 2011 at 01:48 AM.

The notes in this one "blob up" for me, and I don't get much if any oakmoss (I'm an oakmoss fan). I suspect it has been reformulated terribly, and would really like to sample a very old bottle. Also, it would be interesting to see if an old bottle would come across as "synthetic" as the new one does to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Makassar View Post
    Beautiful lavender on musk , vanilla and oakmoss ...the perfume of classical seduction , a really must-have

Not sure if you will have a chance to read this, be-bop, but out of curiosity, have you only splashed CPuH on, or sprayed it? Personally, I have found it smells differently sprayed to splashed, so I am wondering whether very positive reactions, like yours, have anything to do with the method of application. Probably not, of course.

Not sure if anyone has used Tide Simple Pleasures Vanilla & Lavender laundry detergent (they stopped making it) but if you have I was wondering if this cologne had a similar scent.

Quote Originally Posted by be-bop View Post
    Didn't require any patience from me...The very first time I splashed a little on I loved the initial lavender...In fact I thought "This must be what Heaven smells like"...I felt that the first time I smelled Acqua di Parma, but this was even better...My wife was immediately knocked out...She loved it...It was a cloud of powdery lavender that turned into a powdery Vanilla Amber dry-down...The loveliest dry down ever...Theres something else going on that I can't put my finger on...Almost a pepper note but not...Its great too...I've looked for the Play-doh accord but nope...not at all...
    Now I'm addicted and crave it....I can see a 750ml in my future.
    That's almost exactly how I perceive it.

This works fantastic on my skin.....Gary

Blog Entries

I bought this blind (have enjoyed Yatagan for some time) and have no regrets. A very calming, comforting experience.

Dear Friends, Thanks for your opinions!
    Last edited by Hamp; 23rd January 2012 at 04:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Here in BaseNotes many like it, me included, and for many of the reasons stated. Away form this reason, being a classic is part of its allure, a good thing in Base Notes. Now, you might as well find it horridly bad due to whatever reason (you found Play Doh notes, I do get somehow similar notes to those of a dirty ashtray).

Just don't feel pressed at all the comments contradicting your point of view, you are entitled to judge it they way you feel. I only regret you throwing it away, I wish it were to my direction...
    Thanks.

I like it. Funny this thread should resurface, I was at a closing down/ relocation sale today (Lane Crawford, Pacific Place, sadly) and they had pulled some old Caron stock out from the vaults, picked up 100ml & 50ml PUH for about USD 25, very happy

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I like it. Funny this thread should resurface, I was at a closing down/ relocation sale today (Lane Crawford, Pacific Place, sadly) and they had pulled some old Caron stock out from the vaults, picked up 100ml & 50ml PUH for about USD 25, very happy
    Yes. It is curious.

I only wear it on funerals: somehow I think lavender and its colour purple fit to funerals...

I had a similar experience to Hamp. I tried the juice from three different bottles, and they all became unbearable on my skin as many lavenders seem to do. It makes me sad as I love many Caron scents including Yatagan. I still have Jicky and Mouchoir de Monsieur if I need a lavender fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Cute_cute_baby View Post
    To me, there's 3 clear-cut layers consisted of lavender-vanilla-amber.
    Agreed - too much vanilla for my taste, though. Kilian is no better, btw, only more expensive. There is Jicky, which I prefer. The connection from lavender to vanilla during the scents development is crucial. I like the more complicated turns in Jicky more than the somehow straightforward fade of lavender in PuH. The latter is a vanilla fragrance most of its time, the lavender gone after about 10 minutes - on me in cold weather. Some greenery and musk in the vanilla prevents it from being to cloyingly sweet. For me there are better lavenders. But I appreciate the art in PuH. It's just not for me.

It is interesting to note that in CPuH, the lavender is an absolute. In Jicky and Mouchoir de Monsieur, it isn't - a lesser concentration of lavender. Some people much prefer the non-absolute form of lavender, finding the absolute too sharp or bracing. (I can perceive the lavender in CPuH some hours into the phase that most people seem to find pure vanilla.)

In Jicky and MdM, vanillin, a synthetic vanilla is used. This is six times more expensive than natural vanilla, and supposedly much finer than the natural stuff. My suspicion is that the vanilla in CPuH is natural vanilla. (I would really love to hear any thoughts on the type of vanilla in CPuH.) So there you have it - quite possibly, Jicky/MdM and CPuH are bizarro versions of each other.

All that said, I really enjoy the fragrance, and wear it often. I prefer the top and heart to the drydown, though. How, and how much, it is applied seems to make a huge difference. It is one of the most application-dependent fragrances I've ever come across.

Yes, my problem with this one is the harsh lavender blast at the top. The drydown is very nice but a bit monotonous. All in all, it is an excellent fragrance as with the rest of the male Caron range, but I have decided that it's not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Merely View Post
    In Jicky and MdM, vanillin, a synthetic vanilla is used. This is six times more expensive than natural vanilla, and supposedly much finer than the natural stuff. My suspicion is that the vanilla in CPuH is natural vanilla. (I would really love to hear any thoughts on the type of vanilla in CPuH.) So there you have it - quite possibly, Jicky/MdM and CPuH are bizarro versions of each other.
    I'm pretty sure it's the other way around; natural vanilla is expensive and it's not in many perfumes these days. A combination of Ethyl Vanillin, Vanillin and Coumarin is very likely to provide the vanilla smell in CPuH and Jicky - and these are fairly cheap mass produced aromachemicals. CPuH would cost bomb if it had natural vanilla in it.

Dependent

Well, by weight ethyl vanillin may be six times cheaper than real vanilla absolute (I don't know), but it's also orders of magnitude stronger since it's pure aromachemical; I wouldn't be surprised if you need only 1% as much weight to get a similar dose in a perfume. In that example, that would mean by potency vanillin is almost 17x cheaper.

I looooove Jicky, and like MdM, while I dislike the Caron. This is because of the drydown's vanilla. It reminds me of cardboard / cheap drugstore vanilla ice cream, which I assume is because there is no natural vanilla. Jicky is supposed to contain both vanillin and real vanilla, to make a sort of hybrid "improved" vanilla accord. Luscious and rich.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Well, by weight ethyl vanillin may be six times cheaper than real vanilla absolute (I don't know), but it's also orders of magnitude stronger since it's pure aromachemical; I wouldn't be surprised if you need only 1% as much weight to get a similar dose in a perfume. In that example, that would mean by potency vanillin is almost 17x cheaper.

I looooove Jicky, and like MdM, while I dislike the Caron. This is because of the drydown's vanilla. It reminds me of cardboard / cheap drugstore vanilla ice cream, which I assume is because there is no natural vanilla. Jicky is supposed to contain both vanillin and real vanilla, to make a sort of hybrid "improved" vanilla accord. Luscious and rich.
    A helpful post that sheds some light on something that has been puzzling me. Yes, I agree about Caron's vanilla drydown - I don't mind it, but I have smelled better. Feeling that the vanilla could be better than it is has tended to trouble me a little. Guerlain using a sort of hybrid of vanillas to make a "vanilla accord", rather than using a monolithic 'vanilla', makes sense, and would explain its lusciousness.

I seem to have been misinformed about synthetic vanilla costing more than the natural absolute. I was citing someone I had heard mention it. Apparently vanillin was first isolated in 1858 by Nicolas-Theodore Gobley, and began to be commercially manufactured a few decades later, so CPuH, MdM and Jicky may well have all used it (together with anything else) from the start. It is relevant for CPuH that the cost of vanillin appears to have fallen dramatically in the 1930s. A factor in its creation? I wonder.

Interestingly, wikipedia mentions that 'natural "vanilla extract' is a mixture of several hundred different compounds in addition to vanillin."

Or just get A Taste of Heaven and know exactly what's in it... I don't know what's in CPUH, but I doubt it's anywhere near the quality of ingredients in ATOH.

Hyper essence? A google search uncovers no use of this term aside from Killian's. I wonder if they made it up.

Hyper essence? A google search uncovers no use of this term aside from Killian's. I wonder if they made it up.
    Probably. They aren't going to give you exactly what you need to recreate the perfume, as you can't copyright a scent. They also list "accords" for some things, which can be a mix of natural and/or synthetic aromachemicals, without knowing what's in the accord you can't recreate it. By Kilians are "mostly" natural, I heard 70-90% depending on the particular frag. It's a lot more info about the frag than any other perfumer makes public.

Dependent

Haha yeah what is that I wonder. Perhaps a CO2 extract.

A Taste of Heaven is really excellent . . . not a fair comparison. Also, I bet you that Killian simply did not list all the synthetics in there. I definitely get musk, for one. Wouldn't be surprised if there's some ethyl vanillin as well.

Merely, according to Luca Turin, Jicky was the first commercial frag to use ethyl vanillin, which had only entered the market within a few years of its launch at most. It also has synthetic coumarin, though it was not the first to use that ingredient. While benzyl acetate was discovered before coumarin, it seems the latter was the first synthetic used in perfumery.

Dependent

Another possibility: it's a molecular distillate.

"Hyper essence" could also be a result of a rough french to english translation...

I also agree that there are probably some ingredients that did not make it onto the lists, I'd guess some of the modern synthetic fixatives and such. He does list musk on other frags where it is more prevalent. There is also a common note in all or most of the By Kilians, like Guerlain's "Guerlainade" and I don't think this accord is listed.

Basenotes Institution

...How, and how much, it is applied seems to make a huge difference. It is one of the most application-dependent fragrances I've ever come across.
    So true.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Yes! It took me years, till I appreciate this masterpiece!