Code of Conduct

Default Ambre Sultan's fan

What is your experience wearing Ambre Sultan the summer months?
    Have you accepted compliment or everyone ran away?
    I have read that with moderate use can stand very nice in warm weather..
    Last edited by sailim; 12th December 2010 at 08:21 AM.

Default Re: Ambre Sultan's fan

I just can't imagine wearing this in warm weather. I use one spray in cold weather & it projects like a monster on me. I smell it on my skin the day after.

So, is it a lie that can stand very well also in the summer?

I don't think that planetary rotation will stop if you wear AS in the summer months, no. I personally do see it with its hot, dry spices, as more of a winter-weather scent. But, like anything in perfume, it depends on you. On you and for your taste, it may work fine for summer.

I think you're making this way harder than it should be. You already posted one thread about Ambre Sultan yesterday, and now this one today. You're going to get a variety of opinions, and no one can decide for you.

I live in Saudi Arabia. It is very hot (40+ C, 105+ F) here eight months of the year, and extremely hot (46-50 C, 116-122 F) four months of the year. If I wore most of my wardrobe only during the few cool months it wouldn't be very enjoyable.

IMO you can wear anything anytime. I've proved that to myself by living here for 10 years. People in the Arabian peninsula have traditionally worn heavy oud, and oud and amber blends, among other strong fragrances, year round. I'd say that a mukhallet containing oud, rose, and amber was a pretty standard type fragrance in this part of the world, and most of the blends are at least as strong and as heavy as Ambre Sultan.

I wear Ambre Sultan and many other heavy fragrances during our summer. Of course I find them more enjoyable and better suited to cooler weather, but hey, sometimes I don't want to wait six or so months to wear something. You can wear any fragrance during hot weather and enjoy it! Others may disagree and have other ideas, but based on my experience of living in one of the hottest places on Earth, I'd say that far too much is made of this fragrance/weather deal.

Have you any experience at all with amber fragrances? Is there anything at all in your fragrance experience that you might be able to relate to Ambre Sultan?

noggs

This summer I've tried just once from a sample Ambre Sultan and me and my companions were literally blown away.The temperature was about 30 degrees through the night.
    Now,the outside day temperature is about minus one Celsius and Ambre Sultan behaves much more civilized through my walk in the cold.

Have convinced to me that if I like Ambre Sultan, should definitely try the following:
    -L'ombre Fauve/Parfumerie Generale
    -L'air du desert Marocain/Tauer
    -Ambre Russe/d'Empire
    -Fiore d'Ambra/Profumum
    -Bois 1920 real patchouli

What is your opinion in general and on these fragrances?

The Sultan does magic in the heat.

Dependent

It *is* challenging in warm weather. I face it everyday, and I have Ambre Sultan. I avoid wearing it unless I know I'm going to be in a air-conditioned surrounding for most parts.

These days, I reach for Arabie instead of the sultan. They're cousins, with the Sultan's smokiness one of the main differences, to my nose at least. Tom Ford's Amber Absolute is another gorgeous one, it feels like a smoother more sublime interpretation of the Sultan...

What are the differences between A.S and Ambre 114? I learned that it is the least sweet ambers..
    Dry, no sweet and herbal
    Last edited by sailim; 18th December 2010 at 01:08 PM.

Knowing that A.S is a special perfume, do you think that can stand decently in any serious environment?

I think Ambre Sultan can stand up anywhere. Personally, I prefer it in cooler weather, but have worn it in warm weather.

For myself, I prefer quality citrus scents in warmer weather. Ambers generally in cooler weather.

I do not mean on the weather. Talking about a serious situation, like a conference, a serious interview, in a banquet, ect

Quote Originally Posted by sailim View Post
    I do not mean on the weather. Talking about a serious situation, like a conference, a serious interview, in a banquet, ect
    For myself, in such situations I tend to be more conservative in my selection. I wouldn't wear it to an interview, but that is me.

Have convinced to me that if I like Ambre Sultan, should definitely try the following:
    -Ambre Russe/d'Empire
    -Fiore d'Ambra/Profumum
    -Bois 1920 real patchouli

thats a fab list..

I read that, because it is a very strong scent, should be dabbed rather than spritzed. Is this true?

I read that, because it is a very strong scent, should be dabbed rather than spritzed. Is this true?
    No.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I finally got this one on my skin today and it was fairly warm outside. It's smelling better and better to me and I don't think the weather affects the experience of it that much. I've been a bit underwhelmed by the first 3 or 4 Serge Lutens I've tried, but unless I like another SL better(still have Arabie, Serge Noire, and a few more to test), this one may be bottle/decant worthy soon.

Although I don't own this, I have tried it and can't see why this could not be worn in in any kind of weather.

Wasn't love at first sniff, but it's slowly growing on me. It's a slightly dirty (Patchouli) more deviant/unisex alternative to Dior Homme in my opinion. Definitely unisex, but ever so slightly on the feminine side and comes across as quite perfumey. I'm quirky like that though, I see scents in terms of color and Amber always comes across as "pink" to me, which made L'OF come across as feminine and fuzzy.

I'd have no problem wearing it, but I'm starting to wonder how this would smell on a woman. Quite sexy and sultry I imagine.

Masculine alternative to Ambre Sultan, similar theme but quite different. Where as AS is rich, sultry and opulent, LADDM, is just as rich and dense, with a very clear and vivid 3D complex structure. I get incense (main player), sand (yes vivid dry sand), bitter orange, slightly boozy vanilla and somewhere lurking in the background you can pick up on the spices. Masterfully done and one of my staple favorites in my top 10. First time I sampled it, it drew a smile and a "Wow!". My friends initial reaction was "Nice! Very masculine. That's some Burt Reynolds shit right there!".
    Last edited by Duke Hunt; 13th July 2011 at 04:20 AM.

I've worn it in the high 20s but not into the 30s (although who knows, I might try so in the future). I don't find it strong enough that it needs dabbed on, but I would spray conservatively, especially in the heat. So it works in the heat I just don't tend to reach for it then.

I think it flourishes in warm weather.
    In fact, I think all perfumes show their other side in warmer weather.
    No such thing as X perfume cannot/shouldnt be worn in Y season.

for swap/sale: