Code of Conduct

Question Suggestions for a Niche Smell-Alike?

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with finding a new perfume. I've been wearing Gucci Flora for a while now. Don't ask me why, but I love it. I love the burst of citrus and the apricot-and-peachy osmanthus that mingled with creamy sandalwood in the drydown, as well as the delicate peony floralness inbetween. It was perfectly fruity but not too much so - a smooth, lush peach. This set it apart from the other mainstream fruity-florals (punch-like) that I've tried. And there was definitely vanilla in the drydown as well, though not listed in the notes. But there is something about it that doesn't quite work with my chemistry. It has a sharpness, an icky bitterness to it for the first few hours that eventually fades into peach/apricot/sandalwood and remains lovely until disappearing.

I've tries a few higher-end frags since then. SL Fleurs D'Oranger was heaaady. Little to no sweetness, just white florals. I put it on two days ago and it's still there, unfortunately. It seems that I need some fruit and vanilla with my flowers, because I also tried AG Neroli, En Passant and Jo Malone Orange Blossom, and, though beautiful, none had the sweetness I need. Philosykos was closer, as was Premier Figuier, in that they both have a creamy-fruit quality that is intoxicating but not overwhelming, and I liked their slight tropical-ness. But there's something about fig itself that is off-putting. I guess I like their lush character more than I actually like fig.

I am also a fan of Marc Jacobs Daisy and Lola. I don't wear Daisy largely because of how common it is, but also because it has no warmth. Lola has a little too much pepper for me. I like the grapefruit in both.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something light and citrusy (not sharp at all), yet creamy and peachy/apricotty, with a bit of floral (orange blossom, osmanthus, peony, anything easygoing and light), with a vanillic quality in the drydown and perhaps some wood? Doesn't have to be hardore niche, just something that you couldn't find at Macy's.

Tall order
    Anyone that can help me gets a hug and an appreciative smiley face!

Edit: I think what I'm looking for is a sweet, fruity, creamy osmanthus with a little citrus and preferrably sandalwood at the base, or maybe musk.
    Last edited by Butterscotching; 14th September 2010 at 10:47 PM.

Default Re: Suggestions for a Niche Smell-Alike?

Welcome, Butterscotching, so glad you found us on the Internet and decided to join in. Please stay.

Here we go.

If The Perfumed Court is your friend (or wanna-be friend) and you want to find your fragrance fast and easily, splurge and order to wear a few times -- need more than 1ml vials though! -- from the following list: Ormonde Jayne Osmanthus; Parfum d'Empire Osmanthus Interdite; The Different Company Osmanthus, Ineke Evening Edged in Gold, Keiko Mecheri Ume (not Osmanthus, as anticipated and I personally do not do KM's musk) -- there must be one of the osmanthuses for you.

If you are prepared to wait and be picky about what you are going to wear, you might find what you need on eBay (there is also a forum right here on BN called Fragrances Wanted -- you can request a sample). These are not niche, but IMNSHO, not inferior to the list above:
    -- La Perla Parfum Prive (and this is a secret -- do not tell the whole world now!) -- creamy, silky with woods and resins in the base, enticing, a winner by all accounts including the balance between the price and the quality;
    -- Ungaro Desnuda (this is another secret) -- velvety smooth, warm and sexy scent with an added bonus of the brush it comes with, playful and sweet;
    -- Hanae Mori Magical Moon -- mystical osmanthus blooming at midnight by a delapidated castle located on the pond with croaking frogs and frightful black birds -- woody notes might be too expressive of the scenes they have witnessed;
    -- Yves Rocher Cantate -- Oriental fruity, very October-appropriate, celebrating nature's harvests in shades of merlot and claret, lush and unexpectedly light;
    -- Isabel Derroisne Ame Toscane (I wore it last week).

--
    --
    Last edited by Twolf; 15th September 2010 at 12:04 PM.

I think you might also like these:

Serge Lutens Nuit de Cellophane
    Guerlain Vol de Nuit Evasion
    Chanel Beige
    L' Artisan Parfumeur La Chasse aux Papillons Extreme
    Annick Goutal Petite Cherie
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Basenotes Plus

Hi Butterscotching, welcome to Basenotes. Do you have the edt or edp? I have Gucci Flora and have never noticed the sharp bitter note you are describing. It might be worth checking out the other one to see if it's better. As far as niche goes the one that comes to mind is Peau de Peche by Keiko Mecheri. It has white peach, orris powder, sandalwood and amber wood. Similar to Gucci Flora but better in my opinion. You can buy a sample on Luckyscent. Also the Osmanthus by Ormande Jayne recommendation is a very good one, very nice scent. Petite Cherie by Annick Goutal is another favorite of mine it has pear, peach, rose musk, cut grass and vanilla, beautiful scent. One that I've tried and love, but it's quite expensive so I haven't bought a full bottle is Dia by Amouage. A little more complex than the other ones, but extremely beautiful, one I definitely hope to own someday. I hope you find what you are looking for.