Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Do you try to finish a fragrance?

I've got around 24-28 bottles (i forget specifically), however i only wear about 7-10, some i just spray on my arm to smell or wear once in awhile, and some are just collecting dust. Are there any fragrances you will never finish, or do you try to finish them, regardless of whether or not you really enjoy them.

I've got a 1.7oz of A*Men and its already lower than alot of the stuff i've had for nearly a year, such as American Eagle True, and this is due to my evolution in taste.

Default Re: Do you try to finish a fragrance?

Umm, yeah to be honest I got some fragrances I don't like and would like to finish. And sometimes the urge to finish something when I have less than 10% left of it and I'm like "ugh I gotta finish this one to get a new one".

Yes there's one bottle I been using as an air freshener in the bathroom.
    Like the smell, but wearing it is too much for me.

I just wear them, I don't particularly try to finish them or to avoid finishing them.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

I try not to have more than 6 bottles at a time. 3 for cooler weather and 3 for warmer weather. I wont buy a new bottle until I have finished one. Once in a while I will order a batch of samples to spice things up.

Summertime is great for me to finish some of my bottles quickly. I try to go through the ones that are light and finish them. I'm trying to reduce the number of my bottles too--even though I really love all of my bottles (hence my sales thread).

I have so many frags, that just finishing a mini or even a sample can seem like a chore. But most of the bottles that I've finished have been rather small anyway. I don't know if I've ever emptied a bottle over 1.6 ounces.

Always. I threw out a totally finished Gendarme not 8 hours ago. It's already replaced with a new one.

With me, I try to finish some that I no longer want in my collection. My biggest problem is that I just can't seem to toss out a bottle unless it's empty, so I HAVE to use it. For me, this more typical with my 2 and 3 star fragrances that I don't care for as much; I try to keep a rotation of 4 and 5 star fragrances that I can always depend on and that always do the best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    With me, I try to finish some that I no longer want in my collection. My biggest problem is that I just can't seem to toss out a bottle unless it's empty, so I HAVE to use it. For me, this more typical with my 2 and 3 star fragrances that I don't care for as much; I try to keep a rotation of 4 and 5 star fragrances that I can always depend on and that always do the best for me.
    Same boat here, I feel compelled to finish my colognes.

My goal is to narrow down to about 3-5 which can be my go-to's

Im actually trying to finish L'ea D'issey by Issey Miyake because i got a 4.2 oz about 35% full from my uncle, and im trying to finish it off because im getting Chanel Allure Homme Sport and once i get that it will be the only Citrus/aquatic/fresh kind of scent that i wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Xephon23 View Post
    I try not to have more than 6 bottles at a time. 3 for cooler weather and 3 for warmer weather. I wont buy a new bottle until I have finished one...
    Me too - 6 or 7 frags, but something is so hard to resist to buy a new one before finishing the old one...

Maybe you can use the others that you don't use anymore as room sprays . =)

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
    Always. I threw out a totally finished Gendarme not 8 hours ago. It's already replaced with a new one.
    You have to try Gendarme EDP, an extremely long lasting version of the original with pretty potent sillage....

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    Umm, yeah to be honest I got some fragrances I don't like and would like to finish. And sometimes the urge to finish something when I have less than 10% left of it and I'm like "ugh I gotta finish this one to get a new one".
    I only finished one bottle ever (Lacoste Sport Eau de Vivifiante ages ago), all the bottles I've had since are intact. Out of the 36? 38? bottles I have, I have one that's almost 20% left, and I so want to finish it to justify another spend I just can't keep using and using it straight days in a row, I get sick of it So the bottles just keep adding up.

@volley2: That is exactly what I do, which is why my bathroom generally (if incongruously) smells like Opium pour Homme ...

Generally I don't buy anything blind that costs much more than $30, and for everything else I sample extensively before purchasing. On the rare occasion I do buy something pricey blind I do it because I came across a great deal on it and on two other requirements: 1) Does it have overwhelmingly good reviews? and 2) If I really don't like it I know I can easily sell it with little or no money loss. Soooo, no I really don't ever find the need to force myself to finish a bottle.

I don't really finish the bottles. Coz in time I'd like to revisit things and I'd like to remember how they smelled. And plus, it brings back memories everytime I sniff them so I'd like to keep some.

The frags I like, I not to finish them, however, if I do not like them at all, I tend to not even wait till they are finished, I usually just give them away or try to find another use for them

Yes, I confess. I do that when no one's around. pzzzt pzzzt pzzzt pzzzt emhhhhhhh

somebody i really care about gave me a small bottle of AdG and i tried to intentionally finish it fast, sprayed more than average just to move on to something i really liked better

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    I've got around 24-28 bottles (i forget specifically), however i only wear about 7-10, some i just spray on my arm to smell or wear once in awhile, and some are just collecting dust. Are there any fragrances you will never finish, or do you try to finish them, regardless of whether or not you really enjoy them.

I've got a 1.7oz of A*Men and its already lower than alot of the stuff i've had for nearly a year, such as American Eagle True, and this is due to my evolution in taste.
    Why own or wear a fragrance if you really don't enjoy it? Sell it or swap it..........
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

My tastes have evolved, and fragances i bought months ago have relative use for me now, i'll try to finsish them, but in the future i'll be more careful and i'll try to choose more wisely my full bottle adquisitions.

I have already finished a bottles in the past, when my collection was smaller than it`s today. Now, It`s only easier to me finishing 30ml bottles. I`m almost finishing with my nemo bottle, but i'm considering replacing this one.

Nope.

I have learned what I like and I'm selective enough that I finish the bottles I purchase.

I won't feel guilty if I never wear something I don't like (anymore).
    Anyways, I never bought something that I liked first then totally hated, my taste changed of course, but not so much. I bought a cheapie Alain Delon (Samouraï), I don't really like it so the bottle is almost full and I'll certainly never use more than 10% of it, but I want to keep it in my collection though, since one day I could appreciate it -who knows ?-

Ultimately they will be finished (either by me or by whomever purchases them at the "garage sale"!). I do not, however, buy one worrying about whether or not it will be finished off.

I haven't finished a bottle in the last 3yrs, most specifically, since I began visiting Basenotes during the summer of 2007. Since then, the bottles I don't like or don't plan to finish end up swapped/sold and I move on to stuff I enjoy. That being said, I have repurchased bottles that I later craved. Now I try to give fragrances a month or two before reaching a verdict. Actually, if I wear something for 3-5 straight days and I still don't care for it, then I know I can swap it without remorse. But yeah, no need to keep stuff you won't wear. Life's too short. Who knows if you'll ever see the day when you'll appreciate a 'stinker'....

No. It's a simple matter of attrition, or if a fragrance fall's out of favor I give it away or sell it.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I have those fragrances that I wear more than others.....that's for sure.....There are those that I rarely wear.....Now that I have so many I am careful about my purchases.....Those that I rarely wear I will not purchase again.....I do try to finish my fragrances.....Gary

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    I just wear them, I don't particularly try to finish them or to avoid finishing them.
    Same here.