Code of Conduct

Default Your questions for Jean Claude Ellena

Hi all,
    Have been given the exciting opportunity to interview Jean Claude Ellena tomorrow for print press and for my blog, theexfoliator.com
    Want to come up with a list of 10 unique questions and figured there would be no better collective brain to pick than that of basenotes.net
    Reply to this thread or DM me with the questions you'd like to ask the master and I'll select the best of the bunch!

Default Re: Your questions for Jean Claude Ellena

Awwww, awesome. I don't have a question (sorry), but just tell him that I like his creations. I can't tell which one is my favorite, maybe his first-"First". Have a great interview!!!
    "See a shoe, and pick it up, and all day long you'll have good luck." by A. W.

Basenotes Institution

Good luck and it's awesome for you Exfoliator ! Paprika Brasil is one that I love.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus

What an exciting opportunity! Good luck tomorrow! I would like to know what advice he would give to new perfumers just starting out in the business.

I always wondered how he went from such wonderfully complex, over the top scents, to the more watercolor, vegetal creations. What a range!
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Ellena is noted for minimalism, but earlier in his career he created some rich, overblown scents such as Rumba and VCA First. How does he feel about those now? Also, I saw an interview with him (on Tauer's site) in which he said he was happy to be free of the creative restraints imposed by the marketing depts-art directors of some of the houses he's worked for. Some of his creations got bastardized that way, he said. Which perfumes got spoiled by too many cooks, in his view?

These are FANTASTIC - thanks guys! Keep 'em coming. Most of the questions I've got from this site and Twitter seem to be concerned with how he became a minimalist and whether it was a conscious decision, given his earlier creations. Promise to keep you updated.
    Keep posting your questions!

I was wondering about the minimalism, too. Any plans to go in a lavish, opulent direction again?

His perfumes are often described using art terms. Given that he is a painter and collector of art himself, I wonder if he'd share one of his favourite paintings with us?
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Certainly some questions about Iso E Super and its use in contemporary perfumery, or something simple like.... what is your favorite era of perfumery?

Basenotes Plus

GREAT oportunity for you!
    I'd also like to know: If he has any plans for some "complex" creations in the future? Who of the younger generation working in the industry now does he think has the most potential for creating future classics? What does he think about the marketing trend to put the money in the topnotes?
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

good for you.
    what's the most important thing he has learned from roudnitska, and why?
    plus, what would be the most important thing he could teach a student?

If he had it to do over again, which, if any, of his perfumes would he like to re-formulate? Which one is he most proud of?
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Thanks for all your questions. Interview is all done. Only lasted 15 minutes but I can safely say the man is as charming as he is talented. Will let you know when the transcript goes live on theexfoliator.com

Thanks, TheExfoliator! That will be interesting to read.

It's live! http://www.theexfoliator.com/2010/09...de-ellena.html

Not a particularly exhaustive interview - and definitely nothing new for the hardcore enthusiasts here - but an interesting read for casual fans nonetheless. Hope you enjoy. More interviews to come...

No, not exhaustive, but certainly very interesting to read. Mr. Ellena always has something intelligent and constructive to say, doesn't he? It's always a pleasure to read his remarks. Thank you again, TheExfoliator! I enjoyed that.

Nice! Interesting to see his responses and how you adapted our questions to a short time frame.

Good job!
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Nice article, TheExfoliator, thanks! Iris Ukiyoé ????I'm excited! Did you get a chance to smell this? I've googled it, but am not finding any info....? Or on the Hermes website...? (but googling around, I learned that IRIS is the name of a messenger of the gods, a sort of female counterpart to Hermes. She would travel on the rainbow... so I'm wondering if the fragrance is iris as in orris, or Iris as in goddess? Or both?) It was interesting too to learn of Elena's interest in Japanese prints -- Ukiyo-e being a style of Japanese prints. The word means "the floating world", the ephemeral world of pleasure.