Code of Conduct

Default Creed Millesime's Shelf Life

As to JaimeB's article on the meaning of Millesime

http://www.basenotes.net/entries/91-...3%A9simes-quot

as an answer to this thread

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/260...C3%A9sime-mean

I can deduce that their main attribute is the presence of natural oils.

Now, as far as my experience goes - a collection of vintage perfumes belonging to my Grandmother and the remanent stock of a friend who owns a perfume store -, in some cases shelf life is compromised when they are used.

So, the question would be how Creed Millesimes' are affected by shelf life, and if there is a policy as to their expiration date.

Default Re: Creed Millesime's Shelf Life

Creeds sort of have a bad reputation for that as far as I know, don't quote me on it.

However, what I'm sure of is, Fresh/Aquatics fragrances have a short shelf life, obviously because they're mostly consisted of top notes. In general, a well sealed not sprayed from perfume will last you a good time, some would even say a lifetime. Once sprayed from, expect it to last up to 10 years. Of course good storage has an effect on that as well. As for Aquatics, once used, doubt they'll be any good in 3 years, 5 tops, creeds are no exception to that.

So basically using a perfume will reduce it's shelf life to about 10%-30%, again better storage makes a difference. There is no policy for creeds shelf life as far as I'm concerned.

And also, "Millesimes" is just a marketing name and I doubt they're different than regular creeds.

I for one, actually like my older aged bottles of Green Irish Tweed, Green Valley, and Selection Verte(ok not a millesime) better than any newer bottle of those I've come across. I think it takes a while for those to mesh and bloom, and I find lots that are 4-5 years old or more smell the best. I will give up the fresher lemon topnote of GIT for a rich, "married" heart and base, and all the older batches seem to have this very rich, coherent profile to them, in both GIT and GV. It's possible that might be due to a higher concentration of basenotes and heartnotes in older batches, but I believe it is due to them aging well and gaining a more finite, unified character through that aging process.

On the other hand, I've smelled a 2.5oz bottle of MI that was from the late 90's....and it didn't age well at all. I think MI is best when it is in it's first 2-3 years, as well as Erolfa being best when it is newer, say within it's first 4-5 years.

That said,
    I think, as a whole, the "millesime inconsistency", due to fluctuations in natural ingredients year to year, accounts for the variation as much if not more than any other factor. And on the flipside of that, there are many millesimes that are almost entirely synthetic where this variation does not come into play, for instance, every batch of Original Santal I've smelled smells the same, and each batch of SMW and TM smells almost the same as the next, these are largely, almost entirely synthetic.

So in summary, I'd say MI is the most at risk for not aging well.

Dullah, you've posted about various vintages of Erolfa. My "08" bottle smells fantastic and rich. Do you think there is even a better vintage than this? I'm considering getting a back up bottle of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert G. View Post
    Dullah, you've posted about various vintages of Erolfa. My "08" bottle smells fantastic and rich. Do you think there is even a better vintage than this? I'm considering getting a back up bottle of this.
    i have an 08 flacon and it's my favorite of any batch I've smelled. The older 04/05 testers I've smelled had that nasty flat/cuminy/dead-fish smell.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    i have an 08 flacon and it's my favorite of any batch I've smelled. The older 04/05 testers I've smelled had that nasty flat/cuminy/dead-fish smell.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    I for one, actually like my older aged bottles of Green Irish Tweed, Green Valley, and Selection Verte(ok not a millesime) better than any newer bottle of those I've come across. I think it takes a while for those to mesh and bloom, and I find lots that are 4-5 years old or more smell the best. I will give up the fresher lemon topnote of GIT for a rich, "married" heart and base, and all the older batches seem to have this very rich, coherent profile to them, in both GIT and GV. It's possible that might be due to a higher concentration of basenotes and heartnotes in older batches, but I believe it is due to them aging well and gaining a more finite, unified character through that aging process.

On the other hand, I've smelled a 2.5oz bottle of MI that was from the late 90's....and it didn't age well at all. I think MI is best when it is in it's first 2-3 years, as well as Erolfa being best when it is newer, say within it's first 4-5 years.

That said,
    I think, as a whole, the "millesime inconsistency", due to fluctuations in natural ingredients year to year, accounts for the variation as much if not more than any other factor. And on the flipside of that, there are many millesimes that are almost entirely synthetic where this variation does not come into play, for instance, every batch of Original Santal I've smelled smells the same, and each batch of SMW and TM smells almost the same as the next, these are largely, almost entirely synthetic.

So in summary, I'd say MI is the most at risk for not aging well.
    If one can afford it,maybe it would be suggestable to purchase the 30 ml bottles with all the above taken into consideration,that seems the best bet and one im going for myself.
    Im buying the 30 ml Aventus £85 . That should get me through the summer,plus if i get bored with it,as i will!,i dont have to worry about it sulking into its own footprint do i! ;0)

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    So, the question would be how Creed Millesimes' are affected by shelf life, and if there is a policy as to their expiration date.
    IMO provided that they are stored properly away from the heat and light, they should be good for many many years.

I've got a couple of bottles from 04,05 and 06 and they are all incredibly potent and smell absolutely bang on. Nothing to worry about from my experience. The MI I've got from 2006 smells alot better than the one I've got from 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    The MI I've got from 2006 smells alot better than the one I've got from 2009.
    I couldn't agree more. My 2006 MI is a super strong EDP, so salty, citrusy, and fruity and the base is incredibly thick and rich, lasts all day no problem. I bought a newer 500ml flacon from 2010 which was still good, but much much weaker and less salty. I guess it'll take 4-5 years before I know if the "blooming" theory is true, or if Creed's batch to batch consistency is just really that poor. I've worked with many of the raw materials that are STRONGLY present in my 2006 batch of MI, and they never suddenly decided to hide to any significant degree when put into a mix.....so I'm leaning towards the latter, although MI over 10 years old does seem to become "rusty" and flat, so maybe it has a window that is best after 2-3 years, but closes after 6-7 years....?

However, the fact that every batch of green valley I've ever tried had appeal/lomgevity in direct correlation to how old it was , as well as GIT and Selection Verte sort of obeying this same rule of "older is always better", it gives me hope in the "millesimes need to age to become incredible" theory.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 5th June 2011 at 08:04 PM.

In the last 18 months I've slowly built my 4 oz. Creed Collection to approximately 10 bottles of various scents. My concern over time obviously will be shelf life. Does anybody think there will be enough time for me to enjoy my collection over time? 10 years longevity is a great number, if that's so. I keep all the bottles in their box away from light on a closet shelf away from light. and at room temperature. All bottles have been purchased new.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

If they are kept away from sunshine and hot places (as someone mentioned above) they should have a long shelf life. I agree with someone above about old tester bottles smelling raunchy and spoiling. I don't know what it is about them (might have to do with storage, the neglect of storing conditions or something) but when I buy fresh new bottles, they last for many many years without going bad. On the contrary. I agree about letting them age. I used to wear a lot of Creed SMW...I would buy a new bottle while I was using the old bottle, and when the bottle finished (which would take a while rotating with my other frags) the fresh bottle would be a couple of years old and ideal. Not only does a Creed require some maturing in the bottle IMO (MI GIT and BdG were exactly that way too) but in the case of SMW, it actually extended the longevity, how long an application would last. On this I am certain: application from new bottles of Creed never lasted as long as the same application from an aged bottle bought new. The difference between an application of a new bottle of MI or SMW (especially SMW) and an aged bottle a few years old was on the order of an extra two hours in duration. For whatever that might be worth to you.
    Last edited by autumngleeman; 16th December 2011 at 06:08 AM.

I agree, and I thought it was my imagination. I have a bottle of GIT batch goes back to 09, and this year bought a back up of same GIT only this bottle A3211N01 "2011" and it definately doesn't stand up to my 09 bottle. I thought I was going crazy or just imagining this. I love GIT, and am thinking of purchasing and having two backups allowing them to age while I use my older bottle which is amazing.

If you store them properly you should get anywhere from 4-6 years from the millesime line..

I guess I can hope for six with luck I'll enjoy them a little longer.

Why So Serious?

I have a vintage gold bottle of MI, and i wore that the entire summer this year, and wow, blew me away each year, and the women in the family really loved that one particularly, the stuff seemed to have aged like wine. And to no surprise, this is probably the only Creed I will have in my staple.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

My 08 flacon of himalaya has maybe 15-20ml missing and smells dense and wonderful, a bit better than the fresher samples I have.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Everyones experience I see for the most part with Creed Fragances is positive. I'm figuring if I use one bottle per year I should almost have my collection of 10 bottles consumed within the 8 years.

I just bought a used bottle of Bois Du Portugal off Ebay, and upon trying it out, it is pretty different to the decant I have. It almost certainly is the real thing, but the top notes seem very muted. It's an older batch (AA03UC7, so I'm guessing 2003)...
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

100% correct. I would guess it is from 2003 as well. Recently on the Creed Boutique Blog they quoted as saying that shelf life on any Creed Fragrance is 6-8 years respectively, assuming it is stored away from the elements in a cool, dark, and Dry temperature, as they said like fine wine. reference www.creedboutique.com Your bottle of Bois Du Portugal is I assume 9 years old. Can you still wear it? What is it like?

Well it certainly still is BDP, but the bergamot is muted and it appears to get directly to the heart notes from the beggining. It is less identifiable as BDP until the drydown, which in turn is better than my newer decant IMO, because the slight body-odor smell is replaced by a more cinnamon-y note (my impression, not talking scientifically here). It also seems to last less, except if I bury my nose into the skin, where surprisingly the vintage is still there, while the newer one is gone.
    That wasn't very clear, was it? All in all: less topnotes, less apparent longevity, more settled-down overall smell...
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

The main thing is if your content and comfortable wearing it.