Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Habit Rouge EDP Reformulated

It seems that Guerlain is yet to launch a new version of Habit Rouge EDP. The new one will be less sweet and more close to the edt, but more intense.

The bottle will not have anymore the leather around it, so it`ll be a way to differentiate the new X the old one.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Habit Rouge EDP Reformulated

Source?
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Yeah man, what's your source?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

This does not sound good

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    This does not sound good
    Why? If true, it is an additional version not a replacement one. Variety is cool.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Does it have a unique name? I hope so.

I thought this happened a while ago? Some months ago, a picture of the un-leathered EdP bottle was shown by someone here on BN. Regarding an eventual reformulation, I can confirm that my 2005 bottle smells both warmer and sweeter than my 2009 one, the latter being more clearly patchouli based - but I just assumed it was partly due to ageing, partly due to the continuous "secretive changes" that Guerlain inflicts on all its fragrances.

And yes, it would be interesting if you could show the official source for this information about reformulation...

Post Thanks / Like

I have enjoyed reading basenotes over the year, but just registered myself.

I ordered the Guerlain Habit Rouge EDP 100 ML from www.beauty-enhancement.com some week ago and received my bottle few days ago. I have smelled the lovely EDT on some occasions before but of some reason have not managed to come around and buy it.

I went ahead and placed an order since I found about EDP had oud notes in it which I love. My new EDP bottle didn't have the "red cover" and surprisingly it didn't have same longevity on my skin compared to EDT.

I have both YSL M7 Standard version, M7 Fresh version and my HR EDP smells like M7 Fresh with almost same longevity on my skin.

I sent an email to Guerlain yesterday and got a kind reply today confirming updated bottle design.

Dear Sir,

I acknowledge receipt of your mail from 9/15/2010 and I thank you for sending it.

I have the pleasure to reassure you about the product you bought and inform you that the leather girdle on the HABIT ROUGE EDP 100ml has been removed few months earlier.
    According to the batch code provided (0S01), the product was made in May 2010.

Thank you for your loyalty and interest in our brand.

Yours faithfully,

Isabelle ROUSSEAU
    Customer Service Department
    irousseau@guerlain.fr

That's disappointing, now I gotta find a few vintage bottles

I'm not in the least bit surprised and had been wondering about this for the last few months...

The fact that the EDP has been reported, on previous threads, not to last as long (or longer) than the EDT was enough to raise some suspicions. Furthermore, with almost every other Guerlain release having been reformulated, in recent years, I found it hard to believe that HR EDP would have come out the other end completely unscathed.

Most of you know pretty well how today's perfume industry operates, so all your shock and horror greatly amuses me (especially since it's Guerlain we're talking about).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Glad I bought two bottles of Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier a while ago. Beau Cavalier seems to me to last as long as the EDT, which I also have, but is nicer IMO. When you find a fragrance you really like, stock up because you can't count on how long the formulation you like will be available. Sadly it is just the way things are these days.

So just to clarify, does this mean that if the bottle has the surrounding red leather cover, then it's effectively the vintage "good" juice, but if not, then it's the new reformulation? Habit Rouge EDP has been on my wishlist for a while, so it looks like I'll have to source a vintage bottle.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    Why? If true, it is an additional version not a replacement one. Variety is cool.
    I meant it is not good, if in fact it is a 'reformulated' EdP. I think this is what we are finding out, isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I meant it is not good, if in fact it is a 'reformulated' EdP. I think this is what we are finding out, isn't it?
    It's my first HR EDP and sort of blind buy due to limited retail availability. It's nice but this version doesn't feel (to me) it has a higher perfume oil concentration which many EDP's has.

Maybe my skin chemistry is reacting to this EDP formulation
    I did a second test earlier today and sprayed YSL M7 Fresh, HR EDT on both of my arms and it's amazing how they last compared to HR EDP.

It is interesting for I find the EDT to be very long lasting on my skin and clothes for days. I really don't see a need for a EDP in Habit Rouge - I have it and find it too diffrent from the EDT which I like.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if they're cutting out the Oud to cut costs. Shame they are tampering with this juice as it's one of my favorite Guerlains.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    I wonder if they're cutting out the Oud to cut costs. Shame they are tampering with this juice as it's one of my favorite Guerlains.
    I'm not so sure that the oud note was natural to begin with. But it was done very well, this is one of my favorite men's fragrances.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The EDT already lasts very long for an, eeem, EDT, so the EDP may have a tough time with noses trying to seek more longevity from it. On its own, i don't have any problem with the very good longevity of the EDP. Mine's the leather-girded bottle.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    Yeah man, what's your source?
    My font was one of my friends that work in one of the guerlain stores that has all the stuff (the commercial ones, the exclusifs, and even the most expensive ones like mon precieux nectar and the recent l'eau abeille). He told me that he was wearing the reformulated version of Habit Rouge EDP, and since this one is so recent, i found strange, asked him what changed and opened the thread to see if it was just a difference of perception from a new bottle against old one or if it really was a reformulation.

Maybe not that simple, as usual. I stocked up on the leather-cased HR EdP the last time this issue was up on BN some months ago, only to find out that my old 2005 bottle (100% similar bottle and leather case) smelled warmer and creamier. I actually felt that the newer leather bottles I bought had a weaker agarwood feel and more patchouli. Could be ageing though. On me, the EdP lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    So just to clarify, does this mean that if the bottle has the surrounding red leather cover, then it's effectively the vintage "good" juice, but if not, then it's the new reformulation? Habit Rouge EDP has been on my wishlist for a while, so it looks like I'll have to source a vintage bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggie View Post
    Dear Sir,

I acknowledge receipt of your mail from 9/15/2010 and I thank you for sending it.

I have the pleasure to reassure you about the product you bought and inform you that the leather girdle on the HABIT ROUGE EDP 100ml has been removed few months earlier.
    According to the batch code provided (0S01), the product was made in May 2010.

Thank you for your loyalty and interest in our brand.

Yours faithfully,

Isabelle ROUSSEAU
    Customer Service Department
    irousseau@guerlain.fr
    Well that's straight from the horse's mouth isn't it. They need to update their website then, because they still show the leather bottle.

Trebor's right though, we shouldn't really be shocked at all by this, however, I do find it really ballsy to release a "luxe" EDP version of Habit Rouge, complete with leather bottle and higher price tag, build a consumer base for it, only to just a few years after it's release downgrade the bottle and quite possibly the juice, and keep the same price! That’s a classic bait-and-switch scam, and if true, it’s really disgusting of them.

I know Guerlain has reformulated all the old classics to conform to IFRA standards, but this was a recent release and should have been compliant from the beginning, and therefore if it was reformulated, it could only have been due to a redesign to cut costs.

However, I'll have to reserve final judgement until I'm able to smell juice from the new bottle myself.

PS: I've looked around the web and haven't been able to actually see the new bottle pictured anywhere...
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

So if I'm looking to get the good prereformulated stuff, when does that date from? What year would make it a safe bet that it's not reformulated?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

So if I'm looking to get the good prereformulated stuff, when does that date from? What year would make it a safe bet that it's not reformulated?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
    The year it was released, I imagine: 2005.

Well, since Mr. G owns a bottle from 2005, maybe he can enlighten all those concerned with a batch code. Mr. G?

When I first got my EDP sans leather wrapping a while ago, I was more concerned that it was a fake. But then comparing the EDT to EDP, the latter is definitely a more intense and creamier version of the former. I don't really detect much oud in the dry down, which is a shame, so I just took the EDP as a EDT+. It's still Habit Rouge, so it's still good

Post Thanks / Like

A bit off topic - but does anyone know where to try a sample of this? The Perfumed Court doesn't have it, Posh Peasant doesn't have it, Rei Rien seems to be out of business. Has anyone out there ordered a sample of this from somewhere, or did all you lucky devils buy blindly?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    A bit off topic - but does anyone know where to try a sample of this? The Perfumed Court doesn't have it, Posh Peasant doesn't have it, Rei Rien seems to be out of business. Has anyone out there ordered a sample of this from somewhere, or did all you lucky devils buy blindly?
    Nope - I'll fly to Paris to try it

Post Thanks / Like

I bought it blind, and I love it!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a decant at first, and then i think i`ll buy a bottle now...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Glad I bought two bottles of Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier a while ago. Beau Cavalier seems to me to last as long as the EDT, which I also have, but is nicer IMO. When you find a fragrance you really like, stock up because you can't count on how long the formulation you like will be available. Sadly it is just the way things are these days.
    Yeah, I backed up my Beau Cavalier after about the fourth time I wore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    Maybe not that simple, as usual. I stocked up on the leather-cased HR EdP the last time this issue was up on BN some months ago, only to find out that my old 2005 bottle (100% similar bottle and leather case) smelled warmer and creamier. I actually felt that the newer leather bottles I bought had a weaker agarwood feel and more patchouli. Could be ageing though. On me, the EdP lasts forever.
    I was actually surprised to hear that the leather-cased EDP HAD oud. Like you Mr. G., it lasts forever, 12 or more hours. But then again, so does a vintage version of the EDC.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

One bottle of Beau Cavalier will do it for me.

The EdP has really been reformulated to be, to my nose, more in the line of a concentrated EdT
    The oudwood note has been replaced by a more proeminent iris and leather accord; but the drydown, at least on a paper strip, is too sweet and synthetic

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone, I have some questions for Habit Rouge experts, and they concern the EdP reformulation (from "faux leather" bottle to glass bottle).

I know the difference is that the new EdP doesn't have agarwood, and the old does. But has anyone actually tested the diffferences on skin, i.e. full wearing? And if so, what are they and which do you prefer? Also, are they different enough so that owning both would not be superfluous?

I'm asking also because I suspect the new EdP is more "leathery" than the older viersion, and the older is more "woody," but I kind of like the idea of a leathery habit rouge--so maybe in this case the newer reformulation might be rather good, i.e. a totally different variant than just a "bad" reformulatoin.

Thanks so much for any clarification!

I have the OSO1 EDP batch (May 2010 without simili).
    I confirm that when comparing it to the EDP with simili and M7, EDP with simili is between M7 and HR EDP OSO1 May 2010.
    EDP with simili has less citrus the new EDP.
    EDP with simili HAS LOVELY oud (similar to Jubilation XXV, smells more expensive than M7), the new EDP doesn't have it.
    The new EDP is similar to the EDT, but you have to wait longer for the exquisite drydown.
    As lasting power of EDT is already decent, I would stay with the original EDT.
    But please Guerlain you should sell the simili EDP again!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Getting a friend to pick up a bottle of the EDP for me in Paris, what's the current incarnation like? I see that the Guerlain web-site lists Oud still as a base note.

Post Thanks / Like

The EDT is enough of an atom bomb. I can't imagine what a parfum version would bring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    The EDT is enough of an atom bomb. I can't imagine what a parfum version would bring.
    The Eau de Parfum is being discussed here, but there is an actual parfum concentration that I have a very small sample of. It's fantastic and warm. It's not particularly similar to other Habit Rouge concentrations in my opinion. I really think you would love it.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    The Eau de Parfum is being discussed here, but there is an actual parfum concentration that I have a very small sample of. It's fantastic and warm. It's not particularly similar to other Habit Rouge concentrations in my opinion. I really think you would love it.
    The parfum version is wonderful if you can find it, but I am happiest with the EDT and the EDP.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

The Ultimate Smell
    Post Thanks / Like

So does that make Habit Rouge EDP an acceptable smell? Or are there better versions out there excluding the pure parfum.

Cheers