Code of Conduct

Default Is anyone here familiar with the Spanish Perfume house Myrurgia?

This was a blind ebay purchase. It's called My de Myrurgia. I can't find any information about it. I think the bottle and box have an 80s look. I used to wear Natural de Myrurgia in the 80s, and other than Maja that's the only Myrurgia fragrance I know. I couldn't resist this mystery fragrance. I am curious about Myrurgia but I think they've been taken over by Puig, and I've read that Maja is a ghastly reformulation. Anyway, I was hoping a Basenoter might possibly know something about this one.

Default Re: Is anyone here familiar with the Spanish Perfume house Myrurgia?

I don't know anything about this house, but I always see the name and become intrigued.... hopefully somebody can shed more light on it!

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    I don't know anything about this house, but I always see the name and become intrigued.... hopefully somebody can shed more light on it!
    Thank you, calero. I was just taking a shot. I might have better luck posting my question on the men's board. There are many more people there than here.

Did you receive the one you purchases via the ebay? If so, how does it smell?? I think I was watching an old vintage Myrurgia but it fell out of my top-priority list. I would like to discover more Spanish perfume houses that are not affiliated with Puig (although there is nothing wrong with PUIG, it is the manufacturer of Comme des Garcons which is a fave of mine).

Time to do research!

I have Maja -I suspect it is the new formulation but it has grown on me .I will probably look for more and vintage Maja and would love to read your review(s) on this and other Myrurgia fragrances.

Calero, I have not received it yet. It's on its way. I have nothing against Puig per se - they're just the multinational giant that own lots of lovely brands. But it's sad what happened to Maja, which I cannot personally attest to, but so many others who wore it back in the day say its reformulation is a mess. Maybe Puig will restore it, or maybe there was some reason they had to reformulate it in the first place. I don't know how these takeovers go down.

Bookwyrmsmith, I wonder how vintage Maja holds up. I remember those black wrapped soaps with the picture of the dancer on them from my childhood. I loved that picture. When my mother took me on a trip to Spain I brought home a lovely doll dressed exactly the same as the Maja lady. How many of us have brought those home, I wonder - the quintessential souvenir of Spain.

I'll let you know what My de Myrurgia is like when it gets here.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 16th September 2010 at 01:14 PM.

How fun, lilybelle! A 100% blind buy! I've never heard of My, either. I wear Maja from time to time. I received a sample of the edt from a kind BNer and I do like it. It seems redundant in my wardrobe, though, next to Bal a Versailles, which I prefer. I bought some Maja lotion and shower gel a year and a half ago or so, and I like the scent of the shower gel the best. Both the lotion and the gel possess the soapy quality the scent is famous for. The edt doesn't; it's surprisingly musky.

I'm only familiar with Maja, which I wore in my teens. Someone must've brought a bottle of the scent back from a trip to Spain for my mother; she didn't wear it so I "liberated" it. (I did the same with her seemingly-unwanted bottle of Magie Noire too, and I shudder to think of the impression I made wearing *that* in my teens!)

I liked both but was never sure that either scent was definitely suitable for a girl ... blushes at the memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    How fun, lilybelle! A 100% blind buy! I've never heard of My, either. I wear Maja from time to time. I received a sample of the edt from a kind BNer and I do like it. It seems redundant in my wardrobe, though, next to Bal a Versailles, which I prefer. I bought some Maja lotion and shower gel a year and a half ago or so, and I like the scent of the shower gel the best. Both the lotion and the gel possess the soapy quality the scent is famous for. The edt doesn't; it's surprisingly musky.
    I love surprises. Maja comparable to Bal à Versailles...that sounds intriguing!

Quote Originally Posted by kitsch View Post
    I'm only familiar with Maja, which I wore in my teens. Someone must've brought a bottle of the scent back from a trip to Spain for my mother; she didn't wear it so I "liberated" it. (I did the same with her seemingly-unwanted bottle of Magie Noire too, and I shudder to think of the impression I made wearing *that* in my teens!)

I liked both but was never sure that either scent was definitely suitable for a girl ... blushes at the memory.
    I wore fragrances no teenager would wear today. I also "liberated" a few of my mother's fragrances back in the day. Now that I'm older she liberates mine! Ha!

My de Myrurgia arrived yesterday. The box and bottle are pretty beat up, but the fragrance seems in good shape because it's been kept in its box in an opaque bottle. Just for the record...not that I think anybody will ever do a search on this fragrance...it smells like a dead ringer for Jacomo Silences in the beginning - very green. I also get an impression of geranium or coriander, something fougère; and then it dries down rather spicy (cinnamon, nutmeg?) with some sandalwood, and tonka maybe. I'm not good at identifying all the constituent parts. It smells more like a masculine cologne to me than a feminine one - not bad, but not my type of thing. So there you go.

Nice impressions, lilybelle! Much better than I could do. My doesn't sound like my thing, either, but what a fun experience.

Re. the Maja/BaV comparison, both are non-sweet (on my skin). I wear the BaV edt, which is apparently the least skanky of the formulations. Maja is skankier than my BaV, less creamy and refined, and has a little more casual feel to it; much more at home in a pair of sweats than BaV could ever hope to be.

Maja skanky, eh? Sounds good!