Code of Conduct

Default Chanal Anateus - how would you wear it?

I'm considering hitting the Chanel boutique to purchase a full bottle of this. I have a mini bottle that I've been testing out lately, and I'm really starting to think this is a masterpiece.

It smells a bit formal to me, but I think I could wear it everyday.

Just curious, when do you guys reach for the Anateus?

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Chanal Anateus - how would you wear it?

I wore it yesterday to travel on a plane and then to work. I see no reason to save it for formal or special occasions.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 15th September 2010 at 07:46 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I usually wear it on formal occasions, but would consider it for day wear/office wear too

This could potentially be a signature scent.

Gym, badminton court, and to the office some times.

For me its a quite formal fragrance. A casual clothing would ruin it IMO. I dont know why but thats what I think.

I'm with the formal opinion.....This is class for sure!!!
    Gary

I will disagree with the formal only responses.....I have worn this as a day scent, and actually in hot weather. I personally see it working best as a good cool-cold weather day scent.

I primarily use it for a work/evening scent, but I think it's great to wear it whenever you feel like it.

For any occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    I primarily use it for a work/evening scent, but I think it's great to wear it whenever you feel like it.
    I agree completely. I wear it in the daytime to work and on dates, and in the evening to bars and clubs. I am always dressed casually at those times. I used to think that it was primarily a cold weather/winter scent, but this year I have found that it works very well even in the warmer weather of summer. I have gotten compliments on it from both men and women.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    For any occasion.
    Agreed.

At first it seems on the formal side but I think you can where it whenever. This one is about restraint though - a little goes along way. I still haven't enjoyed the reformulation yet. I think it's a bit flat and screechy.

Another vote for somewhat formal. NOT tux, but dressy or dressy casual. I couldn't make it work in jeans or khakis.

It's not super elegant, but it's a pretty serious scent. I'd personally wear it to work. But it's probably best in evening.

It is now in my wardrobe.

I find it's definitely a bit nicer in cold weather, and you don't get a whole lot of that down in Houston But as far as attire, I find it's a versatile scent. The warm, sweet, creamy dry-down envelops me with comfort after an opening blast that is somewhat aggressive. Congratulations on your acquisition!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I wore it yesterday to travel on a plane and then to work. I see no reason to save it for formal or special occasions.
    EXACTLY - jeans & a shirt of your choice, flip-flops, boots, drivers out with friends strolling tapas bars is where I take it.

Try it Mikey - you'll like it, let go of labels .... it works

Congrats on your recently acquisition! Anteus deserves a place a any serious collector wardrobe (I think Chanel Pour Monsieur too).

I'm wearing the vintage version now, my fourth full wearing. I'm finding it a bit too "perfumey," and not really articulated enough to be enjoyable. This may be because I have become a big fan of Acteur, which is in some ways similar (especially the "old school formality" quality), but is more complex and has better note articulation. Perhaps Antaeus mixes well with "sweaty" skin chemistry, which I don't have.

Bigsly - Can you please explain what you mean by "not really articulated enough to be enjoyable"? Is it muted?

Insofar as similarities to vintage Antaeus... vintage VC&A Pour Homme fits the bill, for sure, but I've not come across too many others out there that share too much DNA with Antaeus.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I'm wearing the vintage version now, my fourth full wearing. I'm finding it a bit too "perfumey," and not really articulated enough to be enjoyable. This may be because I have become a big fan of Acteur, which is in some ways similar (especially the "old school formality" quality), but is more complex and has better note articulation. Perhaps Antaeus mixes well with "sweaty" skin chemistry, which I don't have.

i wear it in cooler weather. I think that this one, worn casually, is a bit overkill but, i have done it and it did work.

Gary 2

Basenotes Plus

Anytime, anyplace, anywhere..........

Exactly - I might also add that I wear a heavy application of it when I know I won't need to jump into a crowded elevator or sit next to somebody on a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post

It's versatile.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

too sweet/strong for me. once every other week, if I owned a bottle.

Thumbs up Re: Chanal Anateus - how would you wear it?

Always you feel like to wear it
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Yessir! And with pride and pleasure!

I went to Bloomingdales today to sample some of the newer stuff -- Bulgari Man, Bang, etc. Unimpressed with those, I wandered over to the Chanel section (I bought a vintage bottle of Pour Monsieur this week, so i had Chanel on the mind). Well, I finally smelled Anteaus. Wow! This has more bang than Bang! So elegant and warm and with such depth. Needless to say, I left with a large bottle. Thanks to you guys on basenotes or I wouldn't have been interested in sampling Anteaus. Can't wait to wear it with a suit.

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    .....Just curious, when do you guys reach for the Anateus?
    Just like any other fragrance..........whenever I feel like it.

Any time, any where. Great classic. I wear to the gym, to the office and to the night club.

I was surprised by the high castoreum content in my wearing last night. I didn't notice that before.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    I went to Bloomingdales today to sample some of the newer stuff -- Bulgari Man, Bang, etc. Unimpressed with those, I wandered over to the Chanel section (I bought a vintage bottle of Pour Monsieur this week, so i had Chanel on the mind). Well, I finally smelled Anteaus. Wow! This has more bang than Bang! So elegant and warm and with such depth. Needless to say, I left with a large bottle. Thanks to you guys on basenotes or I wouldn't have been interested in sampling Anteaus. Can't wait to wear it with a suit.
    Quality never goes out of style!