Code of Conduct

Default No. 88 new and old.

I was able to snag a sample of Vintage No. 88 and I am just curious as to the distinctions between vintage and new C&S No. 88?

Default Re: No. 88 new and old.

the old one smells a bit stronger, and the rose used smells tangier and more sour, like it has higher geraniol content than the Rose oils/Rose note used in the newer no.88

I actually prefer the newer 88.

I've got both new and vintage. I found them similar in the topnotes, then in the midnotes the vintage has a stronger, clearer rose otto note, with much better sillage than the new; in the basenotes, the vintage is much fuller and richer, due I think at least partly to a higher quality sandalwood than the new. Overall, as others have said the vintage has a "hypnotic" quality that the new lacks. The vintage is more of a gothic mist enshrouded abbey, whereas the new is more of an English rose.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    I've got both new and vintage. I found them similar in the topnotes, then in the midnotes the vintage has a stronger, clearer rose otto note, with much better sillage than the new; in the basenotes, the vintage is much fuller and richer, due I think at least partly to a higher quality sandalwood than the new. Overall, as others have said the vintage has a "hypnotic" quality that the new lacks. The vintage is more of a gothic mist enshrouded abbey, whereas the new is more of an English rose.
    That pretty much nails it. The reason for seeking a new perfume producer involved, ahem, cost control, and that explains many of the differences. There is an older thread on this with a number of comments, too.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matiŔre/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pÚnŔtrent le verre.

Here's a link to an older thread on this:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/226...e-No.-88-like?

Vintage wears heavier and stronger. It also is darker, more gothic. It also has this sour grape smell to it as someone mentioned above. Newer formulation is brighter and sweeter. I find both different but good in their own ways. New formulation smells a bit modern, which I like. Vintage can get a bit 1950's old England for me.