Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Default Andy Tauer Eau d’Épices and Une Rose Vermeille

Has anyone had a chance to try either one of these yet?

Eau d’Épices - An Indian basket of spices with cinnamon, cardamom, clove and coriander with red mandarines. An opulent heart of orange blossom, jasmine, orris root and incense. A woody cistus ladaniferus resin, softened with ambergris, tonka beans and vetiver.

Une Rose Vermeille - A citrus chord with lemon and bergamot with a whisper of lavender. Sumptuous bouquets of roses and violets, kissed by luscious raspberries. The richness of vanilla, sandalwood and tonka beans, touched by the elegance of ambergris.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: Andy Tauer Eau d’Épices and Une Rose Vermeille

I'm very excited about Eau d'Épices. I will sample this, having LdDM in mind, which is one of my obsessions.
    Tauer is awesome with spices.

I think Une Rose Vermeille might be to feminine for my tastes reading the description, although I love violets in perfumes.

Would love to read some first impressions.

Good to have something new from Andy to try.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

does anyone know where i can get samples of these scents?

Quote Originally Posted by jlouismi View Post
    does anyone know where i can get samples of these scents?
    http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/kosmet...oducts_id=7482

http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/kosmet...oducts_id=7475

A sample of Eau d'Épices is only 4 euro.

Une Rose Vermeille is very expensive. 30ml is 98 euro.... a sample is 10 euro....

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/kosmet...oducts_id=7482

http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/kosmet...oducts_id=7475

A sample of Eau d'Épices is only 4 euro.

Une Rose Vermeille is very expensive. 30ml is 98 euro.... a sample is 10 euro....
    Thank you SO much!

Basenotes Institution

Luckyscent has now got samples for these two. Hurray ! I ordered . I am looking forward to Eau d'Epices , in particular.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Institution

I was one of the very few lucky people to have tested Eau d'Epices back in 2007, when Andy developed this scent. He mailed me a sample of it (I won it on a contest on his blog!) and I loved it. I have wanted to see it released since then, and I'm tickled pink that he's finally releasing it. It's very cinnamon / clove smelling...nice and spicy. I can't wait to revisit it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I was one of the very few lucky people to have tested Eau d'Epices back in 2007, when Andy developed this scent. He mailed me a sample of it (I won it on a contest on his blog!) and I loved it. I have wanted to see it released since then, and I'm tickled pink that he's finally releasing it. It's very cinnamon / clove smelling...nice and spicy. I can't wait to revisit it.
    is the cinnamon one of the dominant notes? (i have a thing for cinnamon you see.....!)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Hi Mike, in general terms would you put it closer to Diptyque Eau Lente creamy soft cinnamon / clove or Malle's Noir Epices spicy, hot clove?

I love both - just wondering . . . cravo e canela, can't beat 'em

Whenever I read about Eau d'Epices, Noir Epices always springs to mind.

I should have samples of both, in my possession, very soon...

Sur la Plage

is the cinnamon one of the dominant notes? (i have a thing for cinnamon you see.....!)
    I love me some cinnamon also. So I am quite interested in this one.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Yay, I cant wait. I so adore his worl and the way he creates spicy miracles. Count me in as anxiously awating my samples.
    Smellin good

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post

Me too, Trebor. I love spices - especially clove and cinnamon in my scents so I am thrilled about this release.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Hi Mike, in general terms would you put it closer to Diptyque Eau Lente creamy soft cinnamon / clove or Malle's Noir Epices spicy, hot clove?

I love both - just wondering . . . cravo e canela, can't beat 'em
    I honestly cannot remember guys - this was about 3 years ago and I have a faint recollection of my sampling of it. I do remember a citrus note somewhere in there (mandarin?) but of course what sold me on it was the cinnamon/clove. I love both Noir Epices and L' Eau (for different reasons) but the Tauer is not as powdery as the Malle and not as potpourri-dusty as the Diptyque. If I remember correctly the Tauer had a bit of aldehydes in it, not too much, but discernible.

There was a fragrance I tested a while ago, a gift from Kevin Guyer, that was a clove-prominent scent...I think the name is Tanzanite and it was by a jeweler, who had a line of fragrances in her jewelry store (I can't remember her name). When I smelled Tanzanite, it reminded me (in my head) of Eau d'Epices.

Basenotes Institution

I think the perfume is Tanzanite by Herve Domar.

Thanks Mike - look forward to hearing more about it once it starts circulating, sounds very promising

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I think the perfume is Tanzanite by Herve Domar.
    Yes that is it Mimi.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Thanks Mike - look forward to hearing more about it once it starts circulating, sounds very promising
    You're welcome. A spicy scent from Tauer for Fall is music to my ears too.

Both sound lovely , Im really looking forward to your thoughts Mimi

Basenotes Institution

Well darlins.... I'm testing out Eau d'Epices . If you like L'air du Desert Moracain ,then I believe you will love this one. Strong ,spicey, incensey and very potent. That sub- continental vibe is there. More masculine than feminine . A very individual scent and very Andy Tauer.

Well darlins.... I'm testing out Eau d'Epices . If you like L'air du Desert Moracain ,then I believe you will love this one. Strong ,spicey, incensey and very potent. That sub- continental vibe is there. More masculine than feminine . A very individual scent and very Andy Tauer.
    I don't like LdDM, I love it.
    I can't stop rambling about it and it keeps haunting me.

In 2 weeks I am planning on ordering LdDM.
    But now that you said this...
    Would you call Eau d'Épices more masculine then LdDM?

You see, I love you Mimi.
    But my bank account is throwing these faces at you: (<_<) (>_>)

I got my samples too and I am not very impressed at all! Eau d'Épices is not as spicy as I was expecting and it simply dries down to the same Tauer base again! I was hoping something spicy like Clive Christian X but done Tauers way. No luck.

Une Rose Vermeille is better and has a nice dry down but also nothing spectacular.

I am more impressed by Tauers original offerings than what he has released lately.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    I don't like LdDM, I love it.
    I can't stop rambling about it and it keeps haunting me.

In 2 weeks I am planning on ordering LdDM.
    But now that you said this...
    Would you call Eau d'Épices more masculine then LdDM?

You see, I love you Mimi.
    But my bank account is throwing these faces at you: (<_<) (>_>)
    Cute faces ! *LOL*

To me- they are both more masculine than feminine- I think it may be the strong vetiver,plus cumin ,cistus and incense. It's quite potent and thick. I get a bit of masala ( indian spice mix ) vibe .It lasts for ages ! Unmistakably ,Andy Tauer .I think you should sample this first and then make up your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    I got my samples too and I am not very impressed at all! Eau d'Épices is not as spicy as I was expecting and it simply dries down to the same Tauer base again! I was hoping something spicy like Clive Christian X but done Tauers way. No luck.

Une Rose Vermeille is better and has a nice dry down but also nothing spectacular.

I am more impressed by Tauers original offerings than what he has released lately.
    My fave Andy Tauer is still Une Rose Chypree- it's simply a great classic scent - even the deep golden color of it is fabulous. I must try out my sample of Une Rose Vermeille , Cairomerta.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 19th September 2010 at 05:02 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Testing Une Rose Vermeille for the first time. This is a big lush rose with some sweetness and lots of musk ,it seems. A little Nahema leanings to it too but Une Rose Vermeille is sweeter. Really very good and the quality is wonderful. Full on rose . For rose fanatics or a big rose kick. More later............

Sur la Plage

Testing Une Rose Vermeille for the first time. This is a big lush rose with some sweetness and lots of musk ,it seems. A little Nahema leanings to it too but Une Rose Vermeille is sweeter. Really very good and the quality is wonderful. Full on rose . For rose fanatics or a big rose kick. More later............
    Sounds great!

Oooooo I do love my roses , rolls eyes like I need another LOL !!!!!!

Basenotes Institution

Oh Joe and Pour Monsieur- it is very lovely. I prefer this to Eau d'Epices to be honest. Eau d'Epices is dramatically exotic much like L'Air du desert Morocain ( nuclear lasting power- still lingering on my clothes and slightly on my skin even after a shower and many hours later .......) Eau d'Epices is definitely the masculine .

Still waiting for my samples, as there's been a slight delay...

Personally, I'm really hoping to fall for Une Rose Vermeille as the new bottle for the Homages line is absolutely marvellous. Still dislike the blue flacon for the regular line, though...

I too love the new bottle for Une Rose Vermeille. It's filled with tiny glass beads the same color as the bottle -- a beautiful effect!

I am a supporter of Andy's work and have also sampled these.
    Une Rose Vermeille is rather dewy and sumptuous, and where Une Rose Chypree was very much a nostalgic rose interpretation, Vermeille is quite spirited by comparison.

L'eau d'Epices has a bit of an arid vibe going on, but is not what one immediately imagines when thinking of "spicy" perfumes. In fact I had a good hour as it transitioned where I could smell something much like bubblegum. Still, it is a very unique blend.

Anyway, to celebrate the launch of these fragrances, I'm giving away a full bottle of your choice to readers of my blog:
    http://sorceryofscent.blogspot.com/2...s-and-une.html

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    I too love the new bottle for Une Rose Vermeille. It's filled with tiny glass beads the same color as the bottle -- a beautiful effect!
    Aha- I was wondering what those bubbley round things in the bottle ,were !

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    I am a supporter of Andy's work and have also sampled these.
    Une Rose Vermeille is rather dewy and sumptuous, and where Une Rose Chypree was very much a nostalgic rose interpretation, Vermeille is quite spirited by comparison.

L'eau d'Epices has a bit of an arid vibe going on, but is not what one immediately imagines when thinking of "spicy" perfumes. In fact I had a good hour as it transitioned where I could smell something much like bubblegum. Still, it is a very unique blend.

Anyway, to celebrate the launch of these fragrances, I'm giving away a full bottle of your choice to readers of my blog:
    I do love Une Rose Vermeille ,Dimi . Great draw give away !

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post

Really hope that Eau d'Epices has nothing in common with Noire Epices. I usually love spice fragrances, but noir epices is a big no for me. I hate the flowery aldeihidic aspect of it mixed with the spices

Well, I finally received my samples and am a bit disappointed. These are only my initial impressions:

Eau d’Épices (which I now remember smelling a couple of years before but can't remember how) is a spicy-aromatic scent that does make a nod towards Noire Epices but only vaguely (with a slight aldehydic accord present). Unfortunately, I found it somewhat flat and insubstantial (in pretty much the same way I did when it was still unreleased), as it's more aromatic than spicy. Personally, I much prefer Noire Epices over this. Personally, I'm glad because owning one of those ugly blue bottles would have been a daunting prospect.

Une Rose Vermeille was much better but I'm a little underwhelmed. Once again, there's a nod towards Frederic Malle but, this time, it's Lipstick Rose. The rose, violet and raspberry notes create this sharp iris-like accord that's a little jarring to be honest. All I can say, is that I'm not completely sold on this one but much prefer it to Eau d’Épices. I plan to wear it, tomorrow, as my SOTD.

Overall, these two have been heavily inspired by Frederic Malle, IMHO. It wouldn't have been too bad if they improved upon them but, at the moment, I find them to be inferior (especially Eau d’Épices).

Basenotes Institution

Re. the bottles with beads in them . just something I was thinking about ..... re. Une Rose Vermeille , the new 30 ml Une Rose Chypree flacons too - those sold at 30 ml volume - they are presented in a 50 ml flacon with the glass beads taking up the remainder of the 20 mls air space left ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post

I couldn't have said it better. That bubblegum note wasn't expected. Still a decent one, have to give more testing to understand it.

Cheers!
    Scents I have that are not in the database.

Amouage Molook Attar
    Full Incense - Montale
    Oudh Lacquer by Soivohle
    Shalimar Ode de la Vanille by Guerlain
    Mukhalat Makaki Perfume Oil by Swiss Arabian
    Man Amber by Halston
    Absolue pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Puro Intense by Nejma

Re. the bottles with beads in them . just something I was thinking about ..... re. Une Rose Vermeille , the new 30 ml Une Rose Chypree flacons too - those sold at 30 ml volume - they are presented in a 50 ml flacon with the glass beads taking up the remainder of the 20 mls air space left ?
    That's correct! Andy confirmed this to me a couple of weeks ago.

Yes, I'm also getting a bubblegum vibe from the drydown of Eau d’Épices...

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for confirming this thought of mine, Trebor !

The sample of URV smells wonderful on Mrs. J.

I've now managed to try them both and I absolutely love Une Rose Vermeille. I've posted detailed reviews on my blog, as well as a draw for a full bottle of either Vermeille or Eau d'Epices!
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

Sur la Plage

I was quite underwhelmed by both on my initial testing. I have samples to test further, but not expecting much.

Luckyscent had a rather large sample of Ed'E and after trying it, I thought it would be perfect for our elementary school daughter when she's chewing gum. Not to be condescending at all towards Andy, rather instead I find genius in his work; I was just surprised at my reaction to this fragrance.

When things pick up again at work, I'll likely buy it as a special surprise for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
    Luckyscent had a rather large sample of Ed'E and after trying it, I thought it would be perfect for our elementary school daughter when she's chewing gum. Not to be condescending at all towards Andy, rather instead I find genius in his work; I was just surprised at my reaction to this fragrance.

When things pick up again at work, I'll likely buy it as a special surprise for her.

How interesting!

Do you think the fragrance will cover up the chewing gum smell or complement it??
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

Complement it. Somewhere within the fragrance is a chewing gum accord. In terms of degree, it's much more prominent to my nose than the ''barnyard'' accord found in Absolute pour le Soir mentioned by others elsewhere.

Ed'E is wonderful to my nose yes, and the gumishness is likely my own nose' eccentricity.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
    Complement it. Somewhere within the fragrance is a chewing gum accord. In terms of degree, it's much more prominent to my nose than the ''barnyard'' accord found in Absolute pour le Soir mentioned by others elsewhere.

Ed'E is wonderful to my nose yes, and the gumishness is likely my own nose' eccentricity.
    Oh, ok. I think I know exactly what you mean. In the review on my blog, I referred to a curiously synthetic floral citrus edge, which could equate to certain chewing gum flavours, I guess.
    ---

Many thanks.

Testing for the first time Eau d'Epices.
    Thanks god, it doesn't remind me at all of Noir Epices from Frederic Malle. But i had a deja-vú with this one. There is something on it that smell spicy and powdery, and reminds me of a facet of the aroma in L'Heure Bleue. They are not equal, but there is something spicy and powdery which is similar in both. I also get a combination of Mandarin and cinnamon which seems vaguely reminiscent of opium pour homme i think, but whitout the woody base. It's quite interesting, because the aroma reminds me of several fragrances but at the same time it's something that seems new to me.

After giving a full wear of this one, i can finally see the connection with Noir Epices that trebor raised in his comments, but whereas Noir Epices is dry, very aldeidic on me, Noir Epices is more spicy and it earthy it seems. I dislike the first moments on skin because of the bubblegum note which seems very proeminent (my mom said this morning, after i sprayed this one : "This smells like bubblegum"). I`m curious to see which note creates this impression, but i have a feeling that it`s the interaction of cinnamon and red mandarin. Then a guerlainesque aroma raises from the bubblegum opening - there is something on the clove-cardamom accord that seems linked to me with L'Heure Bleue. As the scent progresses, the L`Heure Bleue impression is reinforced with the earthy orris note accord, and after this point the aroma seems to set apart from L`Heure Bleue DNA, eveloping to a resinous, sweet, flowery scent. Predominates on me a combination of sweet citrus from the orange blossom, mixed with a warm, ambery, resinous, incensy base. The tonka bean and vetiver seems lost to my nose or my skin, i cannot detect them.
    While it seems complex, somehow not so easy to identify each piece of the composition, and spicy, i didn`t like it so much as i had expected to like. I hated the bubblegum note at the opening, to me it doesn`t seem linked with anything in the composition. Great sillage and longevity on me, it smelled strong even after 5 hours of application.

I got a sample and really enjoy the scent. But with a sample, i don't get to really wear it like i would a bottle.
    So question: Do you see this as a spring/summer scent? Does it get to cloying with the sweetness and potency. Or is it a fall/winter pick me up scent?
    I don't know if I'd really want to wear this in the fall/winter.

Eau d’Épices is OK. Nothing special IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I was quite underwhelmed by both on my initial testing. I have samples to test further, but not expecting much.
    I agree with you.

Eau d'Epices is not what I expected it to be.
    It's very floral. Totally not comparable to the masterpiece that is called l'Air du Desert Marocain.
    I would never buy it.

With Une Rose Vermeille, I got a comment about prostitution.