Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Exclamation It is time...A*Men, the Final Verdict.

It is rare anything truly impresses me. It is extremely rare that something can make me want to keep trying it despite absolutely terrible sinus headaches. Needless to say, A*Men is one of the few fragrances that has floored me...in fact it's the only fragrance that has floored me. It really started my interest in fragrances and actually brought me to this site. With that in mind, here's my review!

I got a bottle for $57 (1.7oz) at Macy's, rubber bottle, blue star...see above picture.
    I first saw a youtube review on it, checked it out and didnt know what in the hell people were talking about. I sampled it a month later, still didnt get it. Got a sampler, just got patchouli. I finally bought a bottle assuming it'd be different and it wasn't, but i still liked it (i was looking for the whole gourmand thing). Months later and more wears than any fragrance i own, i think i can finally give my opinion.

The opening of A*Men is a kick in the nose if you don't expect it, but once you get used to it, its a coffee dominant opening with hints of everything else, but ultimately coffee. A few minutes later the coffee remains a little but patchouli begins to come up. At this point its really just a semi-sweet woody fragrance. It's not until and hour or so later that caramel begins to show up. It took me months to pick up on it, maybe because of my skin, but i can finally notice a touch of caramel. This is where the greatest gourmand ever arises. From that point on, it sweetens and sweetens. A vanilla note mixes with the caramel; the patchouli mixes with the caramel and vanilla to make a semi-dark chocolate smell. At the peak of all this, a creamy feel shows up and it literally smells like the best chocolate you've ever had mixed with hints of a great latte.

Oh and there's no tar note in this, its just a bitter coffee. I really dont get the whole "tar" thing

Now for anyone reading this who has smelled it and wondered what everyone was saying about this being a gourmand, smells like chocolate, i was in the same position as you. This is a fragrance you have to wear, you have to let it grow on you, you have to wear it in different weather, you can NOT make a decision based on a first or fifteenth wearing. I recommend against buying anything blind, but if you like gourmands or sweet fragrances, go and buy a bottle, wear it every now and then, don't judge it for months. It's going to sweet piss-poor at first most likely, and its gunna seem like a weird woody fragrance, but trust me, this thing is all gourmand.

A simple statement of the smell? Depends on the stage, the situation, weather, etc. but the overall smell is that of a creamy, caramel and chocolate, with a latte spilled on it.

Longevity is supposed to be killer but it usually lasts about 10 hours on me. I've had it last extremely long times but the minimum is 10 hours.

I've had a massive range of compliments: smells like pine sap, cotton candy, smells like my grandma but in a weird way (their grandma wears Angel apparently), smells weird, and smells like chocolate. It's really dependent on the person who smells it.

The bottle itself is stunning, i've got a soft spot for the Thierry Mugler star thing. It's a great bottle and its a good sprayer, the issue people have is they don't push it all the way down, you have to do that.

The Verdict: An incredible chocolate gourmand, presented in a stunning bottle. It lasts a very long time and works great in cooler weather, not just freezing weather like alot of people say. If you like sweet fragrances buy a small bottle now.

Default Re: It is time...A*Men, the Final Verdict.

Good review my friend. Angel Men might not be for everyone, but I think it has become a classic. It's probably the scent with most balls that I know, that still somehow manages to be popular.

Very good review.

The first time I smelled in on paper I was disgusted. I find the opening notes hard to handle.

But I have to say that was before I knew Basenotes and before I tested some special niche fragrances like the Montales and some of the Serge Lutens line. Not to forget Caron, which has the ultimate weirdo fragrance, Yatagan.

I think there is a chance I might like it now, since I'm done with the fresh and safe fragrances, which are a big part of my wardrobe. With the exception of Envy, Rive Gauche and Terre d'Hermes. I want things that are more challenging. A*Men will be on the test bench for sure.

I prefer both Mugler's Pure Malt and Pure Coffee to the original A-Men. For some, A-Men grows on us.....LIKE A FUNGUS!

"Get it off! Get it off! Please, get it off!!!!"
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

pure malt is out now if you want to review that too $62 at fragrancenet

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by remixx View Post
    I'll be wearing it some more, and i'll definitely be reviewing it at some point in the near future

$55 with 10% off coupon!

haha i have a 15% off coupon! i just ordered 4

I was in a room with many people: me wearing A*Men vs my friend wearing Chrome... a girl there said: WHAT? smells like coconut!!!

I supposed she referred to A*Men (chrome smells like "nothing", a loud "i don't know what's that smell"), but i don't know how she got coconut...

haha i have a 15% off coupon! i just ordered 4
    Holy crap, I'll never understand this obsession with pure malt.

Good catch! Thanks!

Woohoo I just scored one for the cool price of $58.82

About half the price that beautyencounter was charging recently ($125)!

Blog Entries

Well this sucks, i paid $20 too much for pure malt lol

if you guys want the 15% off coupon its MCJS3 no $ limit i think, comes to $52.87!

Or just use "Basenotes" for 15% off. I'm not sure if Grant gets any kickbacks, but either way it's good to show em where we are coming from

ahh i didnt know about that code! But ya 2 for the price of 1! (Beauty Encounter)

I just realized this thread got totally hijacked To be back on topic, really good review of the original A*men. It's funny to hear peoples comments when you wear it. They come up with some pretty odd stuff as to what it smells like. It kind of makes you wonder what all Mr. Mugler really packed in there.

i like angel men but love pure malt

On my skin the dry-down is a patchouli bomb with dabs of caramel, chocolate, and vanilla. Luckily I LOVE TM's take on patchouli!

A chemical weapon in spray form. The antithesis of everything I look for in a fragrance.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

That's my verdict.

Pure Coffee, on the other hand...

Never tried Pure Malt, but it doesn't sound like something I'd particularly like.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post

That's my verdict.

Pure Coffee, on the other hand...

Never tried Pure Malt, but it doesn't sound like something I'd particularly like.
    Pure Malt is the best of the 3 IMO, so if you enjoyed Pure Coffee I think it would be worth your time to check out Pure Malt. To my nose Pure Coffee is 75% identical to A*Men, whereas Pure Malt is significantly different from top to bottom (more subtle, more boozy, less sickly sweet, etc)

It's too soft for me; I prefer the women's Angel, which has stronger patchouli (which I love) and a more ballsy character.

Not that long ago, I too rendered a final verdict on A*Men. I had also come to dislike chocolate notes in frags (though I eat chocolate). Rather than just say that I do or don't like it, I think it might help to compare it to another frag that can be challenging: Messe de Minuit.

In A*Men, the tar note is meant to be abrasive, to provide a counterpoint to the gourmand elements. In Messe de Minuit, there is an initial sense that it too is abrasive, but then it comes together and seems to make sense. MdM is natural-smelling, dynamic, unique, and pleasant, whereas A*Men is intentionally trying to be a "bad boy." I have come to prefer the kind of olfactory experience MdM accomplishes, whereas A*Men comes across as a bit sophomoric to me these days, and is not pleasant. Also, I don't think those who really like A*Men at some point will continue to wear it regularly (in their monthly rotation, at least) a year or two from that point. MdM is the kind of frag one can appreciate once a month for a very long time, by contrast. Just one opinion, of course.

when i first smelled A men, i was sort of repulsed but began to like it. It smelled really synthetic to me. However over the months i gradually gave it moer and more tries and as my nose became more and more accustomed to strong scents, it didnt bother me anymore. I do enjoy the smell of it. My friend sprays it and i can smell him clearly 10 ft away. Im always like, oh theres ____.Smells like mint chocolate to me. Anyway because of this thread i just ordered pure malt because i was liek wow its on sale again? GOTTA BUY IT.

i did the calculations, if you use 15% off you dont get as much off as the $10 off. The $10 off is then added to another 5 something for shipping and becomes around 58 something. Im looking forward to it. Oh i never ended up buying Angel, never knew why i didnt

I don't smell chocolate at all in A*Men, I get Nutmeg/coffee, close enough I guess. Chocolate seems to make quite a disgusting note for fragrances if you ask me, Cocoa on the other hand is lovely.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    I don't smell chocolate at all in A*Men, I get Nutmeg/coffee, close enough I guess. Chocolate seems to make quite a disgusting note for fragrances if you ask me, Cocoa on the other hand is lovely.
    That sounds like Ice*Men not A*Men haha

The chocolate note isn't actually chocolate, its a hybridization of vanilla and patchouli, its remarkably similar

A*Men I find to be a really vile scent and the only one to date to make me vomit. I guess you cannot love them all.

Exclamation Re: It is time...A*Men, the Final Verdict.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    A*Men I find to be a really vile scent and the only one to date to make me vomit. I guess you cannot love them all.
    Did you actually vomit? Like a mass amount of partially-digested food and liquid shot out of your mouth? If so, that shit is funny as hell! lol, sorry man

fountain

i really like the review. many thanks for sharing. as to the mugler edts, my favourites are those not-extremely-popular among basenoters, ie, b*men and ice*men. the camp a*men seems somehow imperfect to my inexperienced nose.