Code of Conduct

Default looking for a designer violet leaf

i know it's a common accord in designer frags but i'm not very knowledgeable to what's out there. i may like curve, who knows. it certainly wasn't popular where i'm from.

i've only tried gucci ph II and bulgari blv eau d'ete. there was a harshness in the gucci sort of like a toothpaste note but i liked it well enough to buy it. the bulgari is smoother and i like it very much. except it's a limited edition for women. not that i'm bothered by wearing women's scents but it's more the availability. i'd like to repurchase this frag without too much hassle.

reading the guide these sort of caught my eye..

grey flannel of course
    eau de cartier is highly rated
    intimately beckham for him doesnt look half bad
    also paul smith london
    and paul smith man
    maybe bulgari pour femme if it's similar to the blv eau d'ete

narciso rodriguez would be too expensive also the niche bois de violette

Default Re: looking for a designer violet leaf

A designer with violets?

He Wood by Dsquared². It's one of my holy grails.

The Unicorn Spell by LezNez, probably one of the best violet leaf scents I've tried. It's priced a bit high but I'd try to look for a decant.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 15th September 2010 at 11:12 PM.

Dior Fahrenheit

Vintage Farenheit would be better , I still long for the stuff but yes try Farenheit

grey flannel is a nice violet predominant with oakmoss.

i heard narcisco rodriguez is good but i dunno

Grey flanner and Fahrenheit (better the vintage) are two classics about violet leaves. Narciso Rodriguez for him is a musky fougère with violet leaves on top. The paul smith man is also a nice violet leaves themed one.

Narciso Rodriguez For Him

Narciso Rodriguez! Although I would definitely say to brace yourself.. it's definitely not the usual designer fragrance. It took me awhile to warm up to it
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Mainstream/designer w/ prominent violet leaf accord:
    Cool Water, Aspen, Caswell-Massey Greenbriar, Truefitt & Hill Freshman, Kiton Black, Dunhill Fresh, Eau De Cartier Concentree, Bvlgari man

Everyone recommending grey flannel are recommending the more shrill/femme violet flower, not the green/wet/unisex violet leaf.
    Unsure of fahreneheit, but I rmember it not having a huge femme shrill note like Grey Flannel, so I assume the mellower leaf was used.

You might like Burberry Touch.

I love CK Man. Very dominate violet note. I like this better than Narciso Rodriguez.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

If you can find it, there's a flanker of Boucheron with a very strong violet leaf in it. I believe it's one of the fresh versions that came out in 2006 or 2007 (in the blue box, with slightly blue glass). While the others mentioned are good recommendations, it's the supporting cast of notes that will ultimately make or break the scent for you.
    The Bark Bites Back.

The Bark- You may be thinking of Feerie by Van Cleef & Arpels, which was going to be my suggestion as well.

Quote Originally Posted by blondex199667 View Post
    The Bark- You may be thinking of Feerie by Van Cleef & Arpels, which was going to be my suggestion as well.
    Nope, it was Boucheron - found the old thread here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/235...n+black+violet
    The Bark Bites Back.

thanks for the replies. i think i'd like to try the paul smith man and dunhill fresh from the recs. i'm not looking for the greatest. just something good enough. i would enjoy an obvious violet leaf note though that would make me go aha LOL!

Fahrenheit by Dior
    Grey Flannel

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    Nope, it was Boucheron - found the old thread here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/235...n+black+violet
    The Bark is right. Its the 2004 BpH Fraicheur.

Another rec is Boss Elements. Cool Water with an earthy twist. The note triangle in BaseNotes is incomplete and onits violet leaf among other notes.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

That new Boss Bottled Night has a lot of Violet Leaf in it (someone on the forums absolutely nailed it by saying Bulgari Aqua, minus the saltiness, plus violet leaf).

Paul Smith MAN (in the black bottle with the yellow text) has Violet Flower instead of Violet Leaf. Paul Smith for Men (in the Green Bottle) has Violet Leaf. One of my faves, sadly doesn't last long enough. Why Paul Smith used so similar names for 2 fragrances, I dont know, highly confusing. Calvin Klein Truth for Men is similar in feel to PSfM, doesn't specifically mention Violet Leaf in the notes list but does smell like its in there.

CK Man also has Violet Leaf.

+1's for Bulgari Man and Eau de Cartier Concentree

-1's for Fahrenheit (the leather notes are far stronger than the violet imo) and Narcisco Rodriguez (smells like setting concrete and unripe tomatoes!)

very sexy for men, victoria secrets. Females go crazy over it.

+1 for Grey Flannel as described by a rewiewer on another website: it is an "olfactory essay on violets".

please,How does a perf with violet leaf smell like?

Quote Originally Posted by dandbull View Post
    please,How does a perf with violet leaf smell like?
    Mainly bitter. Imagine a plant pot flower, as opposed to a flowering bush or tree. Now snap the head of the flower off and throw it away so you cannot smell the petals or stamen. Now smell the top of the stalk where you snapped the plant. Thats what I get from Violet Leaf.

There are so many fragrances that use violet leaf these days, I think you need to decide first if you want a strong, bitter violet leaf scent, or a softer, lighter, sweeter violet leaf scent. Whether the fragrance smells strong and bitter or soft and light will depend a lot on what the violet is blended with.

Strong and bitter? My faves are Grey Flannel and Narciso Rodriguez For Men

Soft and light? I'm not a fan of this kind of fragrance, but Eau de Cartier and Time Uomo (by Krizia) fit into this category.