Code of Conduct

Default AZZARO PURE SERIES: Pure Vetiver, Pure Lavender & Pure Cedrat

It's been a while since I posted a new thread. Like many on this board I am an avid wearer and collector of fragrance. When one particular jus piques my interest, I write about it. Such is the case with YSL's Kouros, which I wrote about in detail in this thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/224...ete-Set-Review
    Kouros is admittedly a power house frag with many followers.

So what then is interesting about Azzaro's Pure series that warrants a "complete set review"? Well, nothing really. I have all three and I want to tell you what I think while giving you a chance to tell me and everyone else what you think. So here we go...

boxes.jpg

The three were introduced in the years 2000 thru 2002 in this order: Vetiver, Lavander and Cedrat. The concept of a 'pure' (isolated) note is misleading, because one would expect just that note; instead all three are a blend of several notes that highlight one particular note. On the box Azzaro states the Pure Collection is a blend of "[T]he finest natural ingredients in a modern interpretation" and that is exactly right.

I re-read my reviews and realized what I experienced in exactly what Azzaro intended. Kudos to Azzaro for that, but the name change is necessary. I recommend "essence" rather than "pure".

I like all three but I have my favorite. Cedrat is energetic as mentioned on the box, but that's about it. It is interesting though. The Lavender is supposed to be warm, spicy and precious as stated on the box...but it is not. It is somewhat cold and distant, with a synthetic vibe, thanks to its linear nature. It ends just like it starts with little change, which makes it great for mixing, blending and layering. The Vetiver on the other hand is my fav. On the box, it says: fresh, natural, woody and free as the spirit, which is exactly right except for the woody. I just want to keep sniffing.

Interestingly enough both the Cedrat and the Vetiver were created by the same person: Raphael Haury of Charabot, who is also responsible for the much loved Chrome. His style is obvious I must note: the notes are in concert, then suddenly there is harmony.

RANKINGS
    1. Pure Vetiver
    2. Pure Cedrat
    3. Pure Lavender

Thoughts?

bottles.jpg
    Last edited by Andrewthecologneguy; 16th September 2010 at 01:56 AM.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Default Re: AZZARO PURE SERIES: Pure Vetiver, Pure Lavender & Pure Cedrat

I have only sampled Pure Lavender, but I liked it. If I remember correctly, it has a distinct anise or licorice note that appealed to me. The overall presentation was quite synthetic smelling (SirSlarty pointed this out in his review), but it was a nice fragrance IMO.

interesting .... where does one find these ?

Someone included Pure Vetiver as an add in with a swap I did. I can't remember anymore what it was I swapped for, but Pure Vetiver was a nice discovery.

I liked the Lavender one, but haven't tried the others. It reminded me of a tamed version of Must by Cartier (the women's one).

I thought Lavender was just bad and could not stand it. Vetiver is a bit synthetic but in a nice way. Has a really nice cut grass note.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Default AZZARO PURE SERIES: Pure Vetiver, Pure Lavender & Pure Cedrat

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent
    interesting .... where does one find these ?
    I've seen them at the Marshalls here.

I really hated the Lavender.... the only scent I have bought and immediately tossed in the dumpster.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I have only smelt Pure Vetiver. I love the way the understated vetiver blends into the ginger and lavender. It has become one of my favourite vetivers. I believe its a vetiver frag for those of us who are overwhelmed by the muscular earthy vetiver offerings.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I have only smelt Pure Vetiver. I love the way the understated vetiver blends into the ginger and lavender. It has become one of my favourite vetivers. I believe its a vetiver frag for those of us who are overwhelmed by the muscular earthy vetiver offerings.
    I agree, Perfaddict. PV is severely ignored and underrated. It is extremely strong (so you don't have to use much) but is very nice if used in careful doses. And it lasts for more than 24 hours. The more I use it, the more I appreciate it. It is very woody, green, and enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Furriner View Post
    I really hated the Lavender.... the only scent I have bought and immediately tossed in the dumpster.
    That's how the Vetiver affected me....it bounced around in the pickup for a bit after using it twice, and then into the dumpster.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

I've had the Pure Vetiver and really enjoyed the fragrance. Good projection and longevity. It's a different aproach on vetiver scent, with more aromatic/spiced aspects than the usual woody/rooty smell. Unfortunately itīs now impossible to find it here where I live... (

The Pure Vetiver is one of my favorites. I don't really like the Lavender much. The Cedrat is not bad.

Pure Lavender is my favourite, very rich and full bodied, though I agree that it shouldn't be called "Pure". I have other very good masculine lavender scents, like Aqua Di Parma Lavenda Tonica and Lanvin L'Homme, which to my mind are "purer".

Pure Vetiver is the most over top vetiver scent there is. It may smell like vetiver, but the scent it most reminds me of in terms of effect is Azzaro Chrome. It's a great scent for a hot day, where I may otherwise be wearing a potent fresh scent like Chrome.

Pure Cedrat I've only sampled on my trips to Europe. I thought it was okay, but did not feel compelled to buy - at least not without having given a sample a full wearing.
    Renato

The only one I have tried from this series is Pure Lavender.....and I cannot stand it ! Just awful to me.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Blog Entries

I tried only Vetiver
    and it's smelled
    Fresh and wet and very
    grassy.

I've tried all three, and only like Pure Vetiver. I liked it enough to buy it, anyway. I think it is grassy, rather than woody.

So Pure Cedrat is the least tried judging from everyone's comments thus far. If I were to rename it, I would call it Energy. And Pure Lavender, wow, most seem to share the same sentiment. It actually works great as toilet spray post adjusting one's gross weight
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW