Code of Conduct

Default Mint note: Roadster or Live Jazz?

Hi everyone. Roasdter or Live Jazz?

I am contemplating making a purchase, and cannot decide between the two. I dont like mint scents very much, but Roadster was a good surprise for me.
    I never sniffed Live Jazz, as I've never found a store that has them for me to sample.

Thanks for your advice!
    Last edited by rikafa; 16th September 2010 at 03:05 PM.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Mint note: Roadster or Live Jazz?

Quote Originally Posted by rikafa View Post
    Hi everyone. Roasdter or Live Jazz?

I am contemplating making a purchase, and cannot decide between the two. I dont like mint scents very much, but Roadster surprised me. I never sniffed Live Jazz, as I've never found a store that has them for me to sample.

Thanks for your advice!
    I like the mint note in Roadster. But once the mint note fades, I found it fell flat - there was not much else.

I also like the mint note in Live Jazz, as well as the drydown.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Roadster, I would say. They're both great, but I don't get as much mint from Live Jazz.

Live Jazz is a mint leaf, whereas Roadster is a more indistinct just general mintyness, like a chewing gum or something. I get an almost gourmand feel with Roadster too, like a chocolate mint or something.
    Last edited by Smeghead; 16th September 2010 at 03:21 PM.

I would go for both, since they are both grand frags, however, the mint note in Roadster is a tad even more spectacular (without, however, invalidating, underrating or putting to shame in any way, the mint note in Live Jazz)

Live Jazz is mint, grapefruit then coriander (that cilantro leaf smell) and also some dry cedar in the base. A very refreshing smell but you have to be sure you like the coriander as it is prominent. I see this as more of a fresh citrus scent that has some woods and mint.

Roadster has a strong mint opening followed by sandalwood and other spice ingredients - maybe tea?- with a basenote of patchouli. I like Roadster a lot. This scent is deceptively quiet, but hours after putting it on and doing some heavy work at a new retail shop in town the very attractive young lady owner said to me, "gosh you smell wonderful!" Then she seemed embarassed by her comment - then followed me around the room trying to stay stay in the sillage. Roadster does smell good and is more than just mint, imo.

Roadster is my favorite of these two.

I didn't smell Live Jazz for a while now, but I can say Roadster is a nice frag and I'd choose it. I was just a bit disappointed by the late drydown though, which smells a bit too... "seller" for my taste, like a car seller or an insurance's guy with suit and tie not really fitting him, but the minty opening notes are great and then it melts well with the other sweet notes.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Roadster for me. Though the drydown is not exactly something I'd write home about, the first 2-3 hours is.

I would say Live Jazz, I Found the drydown on Roadster to be a bit boring.

Until now:
    Roadster: 5 votes (I guess)
    Live Jazz: 3 votes

I can't wait and I`ve ordered a 100ml spray of the temporary winner.
    Live Jazz will be probably my next purchase in the next month.

Thanks!

Basenotes Institution

I agree with petruccijc. I like Roadster better, of these two - but I still like other mint fragrances better than these two. Please try Geranium Pour Monsieur by Frederic Malle and/or Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca by Guerlain.

The mint in Live Jazz isn't your typical mint, it's more of a spearmint which is lighter bother in smell and feel; I haven't tried Roadster, but I hear the mint dominates this one.

Hmmmm I have Live Jazz & have tried Roadster.. Both frags mint openings are MINT! LOL! But I found overall that Live Jazz is nice yet boring, Roadster is nice yet a cut above boring! Id choose Roadster!
    To be successful, you must smell successful! THATSMR2USIR

I know you didn't ask, but if you're considering Live Jazz as an option, I personally consider Chanel Platinum Egoiste a superior alternative to Live Jazz. Although the two are very similar, Live Jazz seems a bit plain to me in comparison.

Roadster for me..

Another vote for Roadster.

Live Jazz IMO
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau

Ill take live jazz. Roadster is all mint while live jazz is a grapefruit/mint combo which is a little more diverse.
    Bottles for Swap:

Givenchy Pour Homme 1.7oz(97% full)
    CK Obsession Night 1.7oz(97% full)
    Cerruti 1881 1.7oz(50% full)
    Un Jardin Sur De Nil(95% full)

Looking for:

Chanel Allure Sport
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Polo Blue
    Fahrenheit Absolute
    Dolce and Gabbana The One

Roadster, but Cartier's better mint fragrance is Pasha Fraicheur Menthe. The original Pasha has nice mint notes, too.

I'll take Live Jazz. In these times, fragrances like Roadster dry-down to something banal in my honest opinion, where as Live Jazz continues to give you something unique. I don't really think Live Jazz is similar to Platinum Egoiste at all (I've owned both), and I find Live Jazz both refreshing and original. Go with Live Jazz!

Another vote for YSL Live Jazz. Not that Roadster is ridiculously expensive but I don't think it is worth more than what you can pick up a bottle of Live Jazz for. I routinely get compliments on Live Jazz from just about every age and sex.

I have Chanel Platinum Egoiste.... one of my faves!

Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by grm215 View Post
    I know you didn't ask, but if you're considering Live Jazz as an option, I personally consider Chanel Platinum Egoiste a superior alternative to Live Jazz. Although the two are very similar, Live Jazz seems a bit plain to me in comparison.

I have Chanel Platinum Egoiste... One of my faves.
    Thanks anyway.

personally i like live jazz more. But live jazz isn't anything ground breaking but it smells pleasant ance nice

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I agree with petruccijc. I like Roadster better, of these two - but I still like other mint fragrances better than these two. Please try Geranium Pour Monsieur by Frederic Malle and/or Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca by Guerlain.

OK, but this scents are VERY hard to find on my location.
    Thanks anyway.
    Last edited by rikafa; 20th September 2010 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
    Live Jazz is a mint leaf, whereas Roadster is a more indistinct just general mintyness, like a chewing gum or something. I get an almost gourmand feel with Roadster too, like a chocolate mint or something.
    +1. I feel like the mint in Live Jazz almost becomes one with with the cilantro/coriander note. It's very herbal, as opposed to Roadster's coolness.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

A vote here for Live Jazz.
    Generally I prefer darker fragrances, with a few exceptions. Live Jazz is very unique, especially if you pay attention past the first 30 minutes or so -- really a masterfully rendered blending of a fresh, minty, herbally fragrance on a bed of ambergris.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I would go for both, since they are both grand frags, however, the mint note in Roadster is a tad even more spectacular (without, however, invalidating, underrating or putting to shame in any way, the mint note in Live Jazz)
    Finally, I've owned both. Roadster is my favourite, despite the "boring" drydown. But Live Jazz is a wondefull frag too.
    My next purchase: Pasha Fraicheur Menthe.

Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions!

My top-five:

1) Rive Gauche PH
    2) Escada PH
    3) Roadster
    4) Kenzo Power
    5) Platinum Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by rikafa View Post
    Finally, I've owned both. Roadster is my favourite, despite the "boring" drydown. But Live Jazz is a wondefull frag too.
    My next purchase: Pasha Fraicheur Menthe.
    Do they both (Jazz and Roadster) have a minty dry down? Can you still detect mint in both, later after a few hours of wearing them?

Roadster

Live jazz smells great! want it!!! Roadster......not so much