Code of Conduct

Thread: Secret Of Scent

Default Secret Of Scent

Has anybody read this Luca Turin book? If so, what did you think of it? I've read "Perfumes: The Guide" and "Emperor of Scent", Burr's book about Turin, but I never heard anything about "Secret". Here is a link to the book.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Sec...SRI=luca+turin
    Last edited by Niles; 16th September 2010 at 03:29 PM.

NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Secret Of Scent

Secret of Scent is one I have marked for reading but I haven't gotten around to doing so. It'll be interesting for sure, Dennard.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I read it and enjoyed it. It's a little dry and more technical than Burr's, but it's perfectly readable for the layman.

I haven't read it, but Mr. Turin is an interesting creature...

Thanks for the thoughts and further suggestions, everybody.

I have owned the book for over a year and have read only about 60% of it. It's a very technical and rather boring book about Turin's vibrational theory of odor perception. I haven't been able to muster enough interest to finish it. (Keep in mind that I am a Ph.D. level biochemist myself. If a scientist finds it boring, what would a layman think?)

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoy View Post
    I have owned the book for over a year and have read only about 60% of it. It's a very technical and rather boring book about Turin's vibrational theory of odor perception. I haven't been able to muster enough interest to finish it. (Keep in mind that I am a Ph.D. level biochemist myself. If a scientist finds it boring, what would a layman think?)
    I found it fascinating. If Turin's theory of vibrational odor perception proves to be correct, it will be a landmark in science.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I haven't personally read it, but IIRC based on the amazon reviews, the emperor of scent basically covers the just of the theory but in a more comprehensible way along with the context. Even that was dry for me.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Blog Entries

I read it last year (library book). It wasn't interesting enough to buy a copy of to have on hand, though.

Default Secret Of Scent

I've actually read it twice and found it quite engrossing. Yes, it is technical, but it's also accessible. However, you shouldn't expect Burr-style anecdotes from it.
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.