Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Got my amber frag samples, any opinions?

Always exciting to receive a new box of goodies from Luckyscent, & this time l'm starting on my long-anticipated "amber kick"! The ones l've got are;

MPG Ambre Precieux
    SL Ambre Sultan
    Micaleff Note Ambree
    Profumum Ambra Aurea
    Profumum Fiore d'Ambra
    Michelle Bergman Black Amber
    Farmacia SS. Annunziata dal 1561 Ambra Nera
    Sage Machado Amber
    Anne Pliska

l also wanted Montale Blue Amber, but samples weren't available ( yet ).

l will be testing these over the next week or two ( between shifts at work ), & l'd love to know who has tried any or all of these & how you think they compare? Opinions please! l'm like a kid in a sweet shop not knowing which to try first, but l've started with Ambre Precieux; it's warm, rich, creamy-sweet & delicious, yum! lt seems to stay quite close to the skin though, l'd prefer a bit more sillage myself...

l've also got samples of Ambre Narguile & Tom Ford Absolute Amber winging their way to me from eBay, just need to find Armani Privee Ambre Soie & my test list will be complete....for now!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Got my amber frag samples, any opinions?

Teardrop, of those on your list I'm familiar only with Ambre Sultan, Ambre Precieux, and Anne Pliska.

Ambre Sultan is an atypical amber in that it hasn't the sweetness of most ambers but is dark, smoky and incense-laden;
    Ambre Precieux is a brllliantly well-balanced amber, not too sweet, not too dry, with aromatics in the top that add a welcome airiness and "spikiness" to the composition;
    Anne Pliska is a cuddly sweet amber with a beautiful bright bergamot note up top. I don't often get compliments on my frags other than from my husband but I never fail to get complimented on this one. Others can smell it on me and comment favorably long after I think it's faded and gone.

I would be remiss not to mention two other fabulous ambers: Etro Ambra (golden-sweet, resinous/incensey) and i Profumi di Firenze Ambra del Nepal (rich, sweet amber with vanilla and a nice hit of dry cardamom).

Enjoy your samples!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Basenotes Institution

My faves from your list are Ambre Precieux ( smooooth ! ) , SL Ambre Sultan, Note Ambree,Ambra Aurea( Fiore d'Ambra was just a little bit too raw for me ) Special mention to Note Ambree which is wonderful ,smooth and delicious. *Note - edited because I got the 2 Profumums mixed up. Amber Aurea is the one I like.
    The one I dislike is Michelle Bergman's Black Amber - ,couldn't stand it for the life of me - eventually gave my sample away on MUA I think .

Blue Amber was gorgeous at first .It is a very lasting scent and it ended up feeling cloying .
    Ambre Naguile is beautiful too .

Regina Harris' Amber Vanilla is one wonderful aroma. Mostly amber - the vanilla is quite short lived.

Congrats on your samples and have fun.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 21st September 2010 at 03:38 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

That list lacks many of my favorite ambers, and many I'm not familiar with, looking forward to read your impressions.

Blog Entries

Thanks tdem & Mimi for your suggestions & comments! l did look at the Regina Harris one, but didn't order it as l find oils a bit awkward to use, l prefer something l can spray, but it does sound good.

Ekove, l would love to know which are your favourite ambers?

Right now l'm testing Ambra Nera; it has camphorous top notes from the eucalyptus, & l can sense the patchouli & vetiver beneath. lt sweetens a little after about 15 minutes, & l get that "library smell" mentioned by other reviewers here. Words that come to mind are; rich, elegant & refined. The sillage is fabulous, & l can imagine this smelling great on a guy. lt brings to mind bracing walks in the crisp autumn air, stopping by in a pastry shop on the way home. This is quite special & definitely a contender!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Ekove, l would love to know which are your favourite ambers?
    Ambre Precieux,
    Amber Absolute by Tom Ford
    L'Eau d'Ambre Extreme by L'Artisan
    Ambre Sultan
    Patchouli Leaves by Montale (Amber + Patchouli)
    Ambre Narguille by Hermes

And a couple of middle eastern ones . Though Amber Absolute and Vintage Ambre Precieux are my favorite dense/light ambers respectively.

I agree with comments so far (esp. tdem 1961) on several of the scents.

I would add Ambre 114 by Histories de parfums to the list as long as you are having an amber festival! It is my favorite. Falls in between Ambre precieux and Ambre sultan in terms of dryness and sweetness (not that Ambre precieux is sweet--just very full, rich, fatty).

I also love Ambre narguilé (already mentioned by Ekove and maybe others).
    Alahine , too (a fruitier amber)
    And what the heck, Musc ravageur (which is much more a variation on amber than on musk on my skin)

Enjoy your Amberfest!
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 19th September 2010 at 04:56 AM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I was going to add L'Eau d'Ambre Extreme by L'Artisan too. oh, also what about Ambre Russe?

I think you've covered most of the list for Ambers, at least all the main ones I've heard of. Based on my limited experience with a few of those, my impressions are as follows.

Amber Sultan - I found this too medicinal and herbal. Just not for me.
    Amber Absolute - loved it at first sniff. It doesn't develop much so if you like a transformation this one will get boring quickly. but it is a powerhouse. I imagine maple syrup. I picture a somber old-money man sitting at a long dark wooden table in a library.
    Ambre Precieux - only sniffed this briefly. I recall it being fairly "dense" and rich, though minimal projection. I recall good longevity. I imagine molasses (in terms of viscosity, not smell or taste).
    Ambre Soie - IMO one of the underdogs. Not commonly seen or talked about but a very good offering. I recall it being a little more on the "spice" side, like stronger cinnamon and clove notes. this says old refined man to me. It's manly, but a weathered through experience type of man. I think it's one of the more unique ones.
    Ambre Narguile - I also loved this at first sniff. VERY different from the rest IMO, almost not really an "amber". The opposite of Amber Absolute. This is rather light and sparkling, smells like warm cinnamon raisin bun. Very pricey for what it is, but good stuff. I think you could choose one from the above pack, but then AN on the side becuase it's so different.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts as you move through the group.

PS - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/211...ite-Amber-Frag
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Like Ekove, I recognize very few from that list and look forward to your impressions!

My top two ambers remain Parfum d'Empire's Ambre Russe and Histoires de Parfum Ambre 114, Ambre Russe for my rich, spicy, decandent amber; Ambre 114 for my dry, reserved, herbal amber.

Other ambers I strongly recommend include Parfumerie Generale L'Ombre Fauve, Hermes Ambre Narguile, Tom Ford's Amber Absolute, Estee Lauder's Amber Ylang Ylang, and Balenciaga Pour Homme. The latter is rarely called an amber fragrance but really smells like one to me.

Of your list, the only one I know is Ambre Sultan, which I don't get along with.

Ahh, I forgot to mention Ambre 114 and L'Ombre Fauve, I got samples of both on the way and very excited I tried Ambre Russe and I couldn't stand the overpowering boozy opening myself, is the dry down any good? it was a scrubber for me right after application.

As for Nostalgie suggestion of Musc Ravageur, I sort of agree with it. It barely has any amber on paper, but once you put it on your skin, you really start feeling some some refined musky amber in the fragrance. But I suppose that depends on your body chemistry. If you love Amber you'll definitely love Musc Ravageur, but I'd suggest trying the more "pure" ambers first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    I tried Ambre Russe and I couldn't stand the overpowering boozy opening myself, is the dry down any good? it was a scrubber for me right after application.
    The drydown is less wild, but all in all it remains the same fragrance - Ambre Russe is big and loud, for sure!

I recently tried Balenciaga pour Homme and it struck me as a close cousin of Ambre Russe, but more mellow and wearable. Still, not something I'd recommend for a blind-buy, either.

Ahh, I forgot to mention Ambre 114 and L'Ombre Fauve, I got samples of both on the way and very excited I tried Ambre Russe and I couldn't stand the overpowering boozy opening myself, is the dry down any good? it was a scrubber for me right after application.

As for Nostalgie suggestion of Musc Ravageur, I sort of agree with it. It barely has any amber on paper, but once you put it on your skin, you really start feeling some some refined musky amber in the fragrance. But I suppose that depends on your body chemistry. If you love Amber you'll definitely love Musc Ravageur, but I'd suggest trying the more "pure" ambers first.
    Ah, you missed the best part of Ambre Russe if you scrubbed during the opening. Yes, it stays rich and thick, but starts throwing all sorts of little notes into the mix, my favorite is a soft leather note to go along with the ambre richness. The opening is either hit or miss with folks, but it is not the whole frangrance. You might not want to go through it in order to wear it though.

Keep us posted! I'm revisiting my amber samples also, as it is one of my favorite notes.

Blog Entries

Ambre Soie-- my favorite amber by a long stretch. It's the anise note that I love. Ambers tend to be a bit too sickly sweet for me, and Ambre Soie isn't!

Next I liked Amber Absolute. Again, not overly sweet, but by the time it dried down, I was less fond of it as the vanilla became more prominent (tested on my husband's skin.) I am not very fond of vanilla in perfume.

After that, Ambre Narguilé, but I haven't been able to wear this-- too gourmand for me.

Ambre Sultan I liked on first sniff, but again, there is that strong vanilla note, and the perfume seems to get louder the longer you have it on. I finally gave up and scrubbed it off.

Blog Entries

Thanks everyone for taking an interest & for all your comments!

Ekove; the only reason l didn't order the L'Artisan one is because other frags of theirs that l've tried had very poor longevity on my skin. Patchouli Leaves sounds good though, l like patchouli & usually the Montales have great sillage & longevity on me. l read that Ambre Russe has a strong boozy note, so it didn't attract me either.

Sugandaraja; l sniffed Amber Ylang Ylang once at Athens airport & liked it, l've been thinking l must try that one again! l love the quality of Tuberose Gardenia from that line, so l think l'll end up with a bottle of this one too at some point.

30 Roses; hi, Ambre Soie is on my list all because of you! l will hunt down a sample, l'm "on the scent" so to speak, pun intended! l love vanilla, so the idea of it getting louder fills me with anticipation...

l've been to work today wearing Ambra Nera & it lasted almost the entire 8 hour shift, extraordinary for my skin, with almost embarassingly good sillage, so loving that one so far. Not testing any more tonight as l need to get to bed, which means l won't know how long the scent lasts if l'm asleep! l always note carefully the time from application to fade-out, probably part of my OCD l guess.. l may not get to test again for a couple of days as l'm spending most of the weekend with my SO, don't want to alarm the poor dear with stuff l'm not even used to myself yet! But l will check back with you guys as soon as l can, so keep posting those comments people, thanks again!

Basenotes Institution

Oh yes, Amber Ylang Ylang is pretty damned good. I love the color of the scent too - so thick and brown looking.

Ekove; the only reason l didn't order the L'Artisan one is because other frags of theirs that l've tried had very poor longevity on my skin. Patchouli Leaves sounds good though, l like patchouli & usually the Montales have great sillage & longevity on me. l read that Ambre Russe has a strong boozy note, so it didn't attract me either.
    You're not missing much with the L'Artisan. It's a straight up sweet amber, basically Ambre Precieux without the spices and creaminess. And you're right, this is one of the shortest lasting Ambers I have. It lasts 4-6 hours, and that's the extreme version. I can only imagine how weak the regular version is. Patchouli Patch is very good if you don't want an overly sweet amber. It starts with a very strong, not that great, Patchouli note, but it gets better through the day.

As for Ambre Russe, since a couple of you guys are recommending it I might give it another try. I don't mind boozy fragrances if it smells like whiskey, cognac, scotch or something like that. But that one had a strong beer opening, and I doubt anyone in their right mind would say a strong beer smells good.

Blog Entries

Couldn't resist doing a test today, so l picked Note Ambree as l read that it's quite a soft, floral amber, therefore hopefully it won't frighten the SO too much. ( so far so good! ) lt opens with what must be the fennel note, which l find hard to describe, but suppose it is quite anise-like. The amber comes in with a soft, sweet, vanilla-like quality, & some soft woods although they aren't listed as notes. lt is quite floral but l can't pick out individual flowers, ( listed as jasmine, rose & ylang ) & it feels like a nice comfort scent for bedtime. Hang on, l know what this reminds me of, that bergamot & vanilla combination is straight out of Shalimar! Meaning the EDT version as l remember it, l only have the EDP & Eau de Shalimar at present. lt is lovely, the sillage is soft but good, l'm just not certain a full bottle would be worth the expense. l'll wait & see what the longevity is like & how it compares to the rest, watch this space!

Blog Entries

Got a day to myself today so testing the two from Profumum, starting with Fiore d'Ambra. The opening is spicy, camphorous, medicinal & quite masculine to my nose. After about 30 minutes the amber makes itself known, but it's soft & powdery, not resinous, & stays very close to the skin. lt's not lighting my fire so far, l prefer Note Ambree to this. That one is soft but sweet & lasted 6-7 hours, this is fading much more quickly. Can't believe this is so expensive!

Update; Fd'A lasted only around 5 hours, whereas Ambra Aurea is still going strong, & at this rate l estimate it will keep going for at least 6-7 hours on my skin. lt has a much stronger opening; woody, quite medicinal but it has the "wow" factor. You sense it is the real deal, amber in it's most raw, resinous state, & although l think it would smell fantastic on a guy, l kinda like it on me! After 30 minutes or so it sweetens, but there is a deep richness in the drydown, not at all powdery. l feel that this amber truly reveals itself, where Fd'A simply teases. lf you hanker for a no-holds-barred amber without powder or vanilla, l recommend you try this one!
    Last edited by teardrop; 20th September 2010 at 03:44 PM.

Blog Entries

More testing this evening, & l've gone for two completely contrasting ambers. First, Black Amber; for the first hour it's basically patchouli, & not in a good way, there's a sharpness to it & yet it's quite weak, with low sillage & little complexity. Finally it sweetens to an amber-vanilla drydown, but it's unremarkable compared to others l've tried here, & pretty much gone after 3 hours. Meh!

Next, Ambre Sultan, the big daddy! Well, all of the reviews are true, but l'll try to put it in my own words; yes, it does open with a strong, medicinal, fresh-cut wood blast, but then... after 15 minutes there's dry aromatic herbs & pine needles.. after 45 minutes there's a sweetness which is more benzoin than vanilla in it's viscosity.. Not sure how l feel about it though, l expected it to be a "sillage monster", but it's fairly soft on me. l thought it'd wow me but it hasn't.. Maybe l've OD'd on amber over the last few days, but l expected to admire this a lot more than l do. l'll revisit it sometime when the weather's a lot colder, it might work well at Christmas time l think.

Blog Entries

Amberfest day 6; today l've tested Anne Pliska, & l rather like it. ln the opening there's sweet orange & vanilla, but l sense something deep & almost smoky in there, cold & yet warm. 10 minutes in there's a hint of spice, then a salty sweetness, & a Shalimar-like richness. lt's creamy & smooth with good sillage, & a raw medicinal amber weaves gently in & out of the middle stage, never becoming too in-your-face. After an hour there's a sweet, slightly powdery vanilla, like the smell of cookies, & it's still going strong after 4 hours. l can see this working at any time of year, & l have a feeling that different temperatures would bring out different facets in it's construction. l think this could really grow on me, & l can see myself coming back to it again & again.

l'm now testing Sage Machado Amber; it's a very soft amber with a hint of orange in the opening, becoming quite musky after 10 minutes. After 45 minutes it hasn't developed any further, but has settled quite nicely into my skin & is quite sensual. There's nothing complex or "interesting" about it, & yet i can't stop sniffing my wrist, it's just silky-smooth, comforting loveliness.

l've yet to receive my samples of Amber Absolute & Amber Narguile, but already l feel as though l've experienced many varied aspects of amber. l need to test some of these side by side before l can rate them in order of preference, but l'm leaning towards the sweeter side on the one hand, with Amber Precieux & Note Ambree getting my attention, & on the other hand the deeper, richer side with Ambra Nera & Amber Aurea.

So, for those of you who haven't tried some of these, have l inspired you to do so, if so which ones & why? l'd love to know!

Blog Entries

Oops, double post, sorry!

What fun you must be having! I have a sample of Ambre Russe coming. I'm excited about that one because I love fragrances that are big, loud, and sweet.

When you get your sample of Amber Absolute, make sure to try it even though you've tried so many already. Amber Absolute is, as everyone says, a very big, dense fragrance. However, the top of Amber Absolute on me is all about incense -- very dry incense, which came as a shock. As it settles into your skin, the incense gradually warms and sweetens, and the amber, with a heavy dose of tonka/vanilla comes to the forefront. It doesn't do much beyond that (except last and last and last), but I love both phases so much that Amber Absolute is in my top 5 fragrances over all although I typically only wear it in the fall and winter.

If you don't love the sweeter drydown, you probably won't love Amber Absolute. At the moment, it's my amber Holy Grail.

Blog Entries

Thanks ExtremeKF, yes this is great fun! l am very excited about Amber Absolute, it sounds like a combination of all my favourite aspects of the others l've tried, & yes l do love a sweet drydown! l already have a mini of Tom Ford's Velvet Gardenia which has good sillage & lasts a long time on me, so on that score it should be a hit!

Thanks for writing up these impressions teardrop! I have a few ambers, but also quite a few samples to go through - some of the ones you are trying included. So I have been very interested in your opinions.

Hey, teardrop -- based on what you (and others) have said, I think I have to try Ambre Precieux.

And, one last thought: I absolutely agree with others who suggested Musc Ravageur. Truly, the opening of MR is all about the musk (and ohmygodohmygod is it incredible!), but it's drydown is fabulous sweet amber and vanilla. Just in case you want to mix it up a bit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Thanks for writing up these impressions teardrop! I have a few ambers, but also quite a few samples to go through - some of the ones you are trying included. So I have been very interested in your opinions.
    Thanks cello, l would be very interested to hear your opinions too when you've gone through your samples!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeKF View Post
    Hey, teardrop -- based on what you (and others) have said, I think I have to try Ambre Precieux.

And, one last thought: I absolutely agree with others who suggested Musc Ravageur. Truly, the opening of MR is all about the musk (and ohmygodohmygod is it incredible!), but it's drydown is fabulous sweet amber and vanilla. Just in case you want to mix it up a bit.
    Oh boy, Musc Ravageur sounds fabulous, l love the combination of musk & amber! Ok that's a must-try now...

BTW l forgot to mention l've got a sample of Jo Malone's Dark Amber & Ginger Lily on the way too, looking forward to seeing how the amber & floral notes work together...

Thanks for the reviews! I'm especially intrigued by the two Profumums - I really need to explore this line.

Basenotes Institution

Laura Mercier has just come out with 2 new ambers- one is an oil - Ambre Passion Elixir and strong and the the other is EDP - Ambre Passion Velvet. I have to say - it looks very appealing to me.
    http://www.nstperfume.com/2010/09/20...grance-review/

Hey teardrop, glad to here your updates,

You got me excited about Note Ambree and Anna Pliska! I'm probably going to order samples of these.

Today I have tried a new amber myself, one with very good reviews: L'Ombre Fauve by Parfumerie Generale. And boy it is good. It's a musky animalic amber, that still somewhat retains a soft creamy character. I haven't given it a full days wearing, but if this thing lasts and projects I'm getting it for sure.

As for your next try, I'm looking forward to hear your take on Amber Absolute. I just have a hard time deciding which one I like between it and Ambre Sultan, and if it's worth getting if I have Ambre Sultan.

And I think you should add Patchouli Leaves, even though Montale samples are a little hard to come buy. I really love this one, despite the overwhelming patchouli opening.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Laura Mercier has just come out with 2 new ambers- one is an oil - Ambre Passion Elixir and strong and the the other is EDP - Ambre Passion Velvet. I have to say - it looks very appealing to me.
    Thanks for the heads up Mimi, it does indeed look appealing!

Blog Entries

Hey teardrop, glad to here your updates,

You got me excited about Note Ambree and Anna Pliska! I'm probably going to order samples of these.

Today I have tried a new amber myself, one with very good reviews: L'Ombre Fauve by Parfumerie Generale. And boy it is good. It's a musky animalic amber, that still somewhat retains a soft creamy character. I haven't given it a full days wearing, but if this thing lasts and projects I'm getting it for sure.

As for your next try, I'm looking forward to hear your take on Amber Absolute. I just have a hard time deciding which one I like between it and Ambre Sultan, and if it's worth getting if I have Ambre Sultan.

And I think you should add Patchouli Leaves, even though Montale samples are a little hard to come buy. I really love this one, despite the overwhelming patchouli opening.
    Glad to have inspired you! Let me know how L'Ombre Fauve develops on you; reviews on here suggest it's sillage & longevity are somewhat lacking; l'm interested to see if you agree, or not.

Blog Entries

Back to the ambers today after a few days off! Testing Amber Absolute now, & it's gorgeous.. lt opens with a thick, dense, resinous, "piney" amber with wood & smoke, & has a very dark & autumnal feel, perfect for this cold, grey day. After 15 minutes it sweetens & a rich, caramel-like benzoin/vanilla comes in, with a touch of incense woven into it. lt reminds me most of Ambra Aurea out of the others l've tried. l keep getting wafts of delicious, ambery goodness.. l really like this, it does seem to embody all the aspects of amber that l love, & it just might be "the one"!

Basenotes Institution

Oooh, it sounds fab ,teardrop - I can't remember if I have tested this one- probably not !

Back to the ambers today after a few days off! Testing Amber Absolute now, & it's gorgeous.. lt opens with a thick, dense, resinous, "piney" amber with wood & smoke, & has a very dark & autumnal feel, perfect for this cold, grey day. After 15 minutes it sweetens & a rich, caramel-like benzoin/vanilla comes in, with a touch of incense woven into it. lt reminds me most of Ambra Aurea out of the others l've tried. l keep getting wafts of delicious, ambery goodness.. l really like this, it does seem to embody all the aspects of amber that l love, & it just might be "the one"!

Woo Hoo!!! I love Amber Absolute so much, too! So far, it is my amber HG. And it lasts for freaking EVER!

But guess what just arrived -- my sample of PdE's Ambre Russe. I'm opening it now, and ... ooooo, I like this one, too! It's VERY different from Amber Absolute. From the get-go it's sweet and boozy with a little bit of spice and honey and it's reminding me a bit of Fumerie Turque (which I also love) ...

and (sniff, sniff, sniff) ...

leather? do I smell leather? oh, sweet heaven, I do! (swoons)

Ambre Russe is fabulous enough in its own right and different enough from Amber Absolute that this may be next on my FB wishlist. I will wear the sample a few times and then report back.

This day JUST GOT FABULOUS!

Blog Entries

Thanks for your responses guys! Yes, Amber Absolute is definitely in my top 3, l will be doing some side-by-side testing before l pick a winner. Glad you're having a fabulous day Extreme isn't that "love at first sniff" just the BEST feeling!

Blog Entries

Tested Dark Amber & Ginger Lily today; the opening notes of ginger & cedar last a very long time, it's not until around 90 minutes in that l start to pick up a hint of floral. Those first 90 minutes are bright & lively, & l can imagine this working quite well in warm weather, however the ginger seems to irritate my throat a bit. The floral part seems more tuberose than lily to my nose. 2 hours in, the amber base is faint & woody, not at all sweet or vanillic on my skin, & after 3 hours it's almost gone. l'm a little disappointed with this, l was hoping for rich, heady florals combined with a deep, sweet amber, but didn't get them. lf you love ginger & want an amber that's wearable in summer this could be for you, but it's not on my shortlist.

Does anyone know of an amber frag which includes a heady, indolic jasmine? l would loooooove that!

Does anyone know of an amber frag which includes a heady, indolic jasmine? l would loooooove that!
    Have you tried Alien? It's all jasmine and amber to me, but it's not as simple as that sounds. There's also something woody in there giving it warmth and depth. It's somewhat strange, but that's what makes it beautiful and alluring.

Btw, I've been enjoying your reports on amber very much - thanks for sharing it all!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I recently tried Guerlain's Vega and strongly urge you to get a sample.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Have you tried Alien? It's all jasmine and amber to me, but it's not as simple as that sounds. There's also something woody in there giving it warmth and depth. It's somewhat strange, but that's what makes it beautiful and alluring.

Btw, I've been enjoying your reports on amber very much - thanks for sharing it all!
    Thanks Evangeline, it's nice to know people are reading & enjoying this! l've never tried Alien but l've just read all the reviews & l must say "supersonic jasmine" sounds very intriguing & fabulous, love that bottle too. l will be seeking this one out on my next sniffing trip into town, thanks for the suggestion!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vidacon View Post
    I recently tried Guerlain's Vega and strongly urge you to get a sample.
    Thanks vidacon, l read the reviews & they talk a lot about aldehydes which scares me a bit. Do you think it has the heady, creamy, sweet, resinous, vanillic feel l'm looking for?

It does have aldehydes, which I like, but that may be a deal-breaker for you. However, the opening is probably one of the most beautiful I've experienced, ever. In a matter of minutes, it works its way to heady, creamy, sweet, resinous. Vanilla, yes, but very ambery.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vidacon View Post
    It does have aldehydes, which I like, but that may be a deal-breaker for you. However, the opening is probably one of the most beautiful I've experienced, ever. In a matter of minutes, it works its way to heady, creamy, sweet, resinous. Vanilla, yes, but very ambery.
    Ooh that does sound good! Ok that's going on the test list, thanks!

Oh!I have just read your thread teardrop!I remembered another one very similar!You could have a look here:It;s about the best amber scent !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/252...ume?highlight=
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sophi View Post
    Oh!I have just read your thread teardrop!I remembered another one very similar!You could have a look here:It;s about the best amber scent !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/252...ume?highlight=
    Thanks for that sophi! l have now just read that thread & another one which it linked to, lots of inspiration on there, probably more than my wallet can stand! Curious that no-one mentioned Ambra Nera on there, though.

Blog Entries

Tested Ambre Narguile today; the opening has a definite tobacco note to my nose, & smokey, spicy, woody incense, supported by sweet, resinous amber & tonka, delicious! l'm not really getting the "dried fruit" notes others have mentioned, & can't pick out the cinnamon. l wish those opening notes lasted longer on me, as after about 20 minutes it all settles into a quite dry, woody phase for the next hour or so, until a sweet benzoin & soft amber come through in the base. lt's kind of light & transparent for an amber, & yet l can imagine this really warming me up on a cold day. The sillage is decent & it's still there after 3 hours of wearing. l like it, but l don't think l'd want a full bottle for the price they're charging! l will make my generous 4ml sample last as long as possible. (A "luxury sample" off ebay, it came in the cutest little Hermes box, l love it!)

Teardrop, you must be all set for this Saturday's Sniff 'n Speak.

Thanks for that sophi! l have now just read that thread & another one which it linked to, lots of inspiration on there, probably more than my wallet can stand! Curious that no-one mentioned Ambra Nera on there, though.
    I read these two threads and i find most scents mentioned common !
    You should try L’eau d’Ambre Extreme by L’Artisan Parfumer ,too!It's in my trying list!
    LOVE IS BEST
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Oh!I have to submit something i read about amber for your information :
    "Does amber even exist? Is it the distilled form of actual fossilized amber? No, most definitely not. The smell we know of as amber is entirely fictional. You see "amber" in perfume pyramids, but it's not true.
    Actually, the smell is a combination of benzoin, labdanum, and vanilla; relatively precise measurements have to be made (three teaspoons benzoin, ¾-quarters teaspoon labdanum, and considerably less than ½ teaspoon of vanilla)."

That's a very interesting interview !!!
    LOVE IS BEST
    -- Martin Buber

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Teardrop, you must be all set for this Saturday's Sniff 'n Speak.
    l certainly am, but oh what shall l wear? So many to choose from! l'll ponder that one over the next couple of days. What perfect timing though!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sophi View Post
    Oh!I have to submit something i read about amber for your information :
    "Does amber even exist? Is it the distilled form of actual fossilized amber? No, most definitely not. The smell we know of as amber is entirely fictional. You see "amber" in perfume pyramids, but it's not true.
    Actually, the smell is a combination of benzoin, labdanum, and vanilla; relatively precise measurements have to be made (three teaspoons benzoin, ¾-quarters teaspoon labdanum, and considerably less than ½ teaspoon of vanilla)."

That's a very interesting interview !!!
    Sophi we are doing that simultaneous posting thing again, spooky! Yes l'm sure l've read that somewhere, was it on Perfume Shrine?

Blog Entries

Double post again, darn it!

You could read the whole article in here;
    http://www.fragrantica.com/news/What...way--1704.html
    LOVE IS BEST
    -- Martin Buber

I see someone mentioned i Profumi di Firenze Ambra del Nepal above which is an excellent fragrance, but another Italian one that's even better than this in my opinion is JOLIET by Essenze di Mezzanotte which comes in 100ml parfum strength.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I see someone mentioned i Profumi di Firenze Ambra del Nepal above which is an excellent fragrance, but another Italian one that's even better than this in my opinion is JOLIET by Essenze di Mezzanotte which comes in 100ml parfum strength.
    Thanks Craig, can't find this one in the directory, can you tell me more about it? ls it a sweet amber? What's the sillage & longevity like?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    l tried it today & loved it! The top notes were a little disconcerting; l got a fleeting impression of a dental surgery, but after a few minutes there was a soaring jasmine with an interesting peppery edge, & l couldn't stop sniffing my wrist. After an hour a woody, sweet ambery note came in & there was a nice muskiness in the base. The sillage was great, it lasted about 5 hours on me, l found it seductive & unusual, & l think this is going on my wishlist, thanks so much Evangeline!

l think l may start another thread on ambery florals, as l'd like to find out if there are any others l should try. As for the other ambers, l'm still doing some side-by-side testing when l get time, & will be reporting back.

so what are your top three so far teardrop?

Blog Entries

So far, l think it's Ambra Aurea, Amber Absolute & Ambra Nera. Note Ambree is also up there, & possibly Anne Pliska, which l need to try again. So many nice ones, it's a hard decision!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    These sound wonderful, I love Ambre Passion and was just looking to buy it, maybe I'll wait until I can try those two.

Try Ambre Russe from Parfums d'Empire. A wonderful tea and amber scent with a crisp boozy topnote which fades into wonderful amber.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.