Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Got my amber frag samples, any opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Laura Mercier has just come out with 2 new ambers- one is an oil - Ambre Passion Elixir and strong and the the other is EDP - Ambre Passion Velvet. I have to say - it looks very appealing to me.
    http://www.nstperfume.com/2010/09/20...grance-review/
    Thanks for the heads up Mimi, it does indeed look appealing!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    Hey teardrop, glad to here your updates,

You got me excited about Note Ambree and Anna Pliska! I'm probably going to order samples of these.

Today I have tried a new amber myself, one with very good reviews: L'Ombre Fauve by Parfumerie Generale. And boy it is good. It's a musky animalic amber, that still somewhat retains a soft creamy character. I haven't given it a full days wearing, but if this thing lasts and projects I'm getting it for sure.

As for your next try, I'm looking forward to hear your take on Amber Absolute. I just have a hard time deciding which one I like between it and Ambre Sultan, and if it's worth getting if I have Ambre Sultan.

And I think you should add Patchouli Leaves, even though Montale samples are a little hard to come buy. I really love this one, despite the overwhelming patchouli opening.
    Glad to have inspired you! Let me know how L'Ombre Fauve develops on you; reviews on here suggest it's sillage & longevity are somewhat lacking; l'm interested to see if you agree, or not.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Back to the ambers today after a few days off! Testing Amber Absolute now, & it's gorgeous.. lt opens with a thick, dense, resinous, "piney" amber with wood & smoke, & has a very dark & autumnal feel, perfect for this cold, grey day. After 15 minutes it sweetens & a rich, caramel-like benzoin/vanilla comes in, with a touch of incense woven into it. lt reminds me most of Ambra Aurea out of the others l've tried. l keep getting wafts of delicious, ambery goodness.. l really like this, it does seem to embody all the aspects of amber that l love, & it just might be "the one"!

Basenotes Institution

Oooh, it sounds fab ,teardrop - I can't remember if I have tested this one- probably not !
    Petty small minded people have no place in my life.
    Currently wearing: Angel by Thierry Mugler

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Back to the ambers today after a few days off! Testing Amber Absolute now, & it's gorgeous.. lt opens with a thick, dense, resinous, "piney" amber with wood & smoke, & has a very dark & autumnal feel, perfect for this cold, grey day. After 15 minutes it sweetens & a rich, caramel-like benzoin/vanilla comes in, with a touch of incense woven into it. lt reminds me most of Ambra Aurea out of the others l've tried. l keep getting wafts of delicious, ambery goodness.. l really like this, it does seem to embody all the aspects of amber that l love, & it just might be "the one"!

Woo Hoo!!! I love Amber Absolute so much, too! So far, it is my amber HG. And it lasts for freaking EVER!

But guess what just arrived -- my sample of PdE's Ambre Russe. I'm opening it now, and ... ooooo, I like this one, too! It's VERY different from Amber Absolute. From the get-go it's sweet and boozy with a little bit of spice and honey and it's reminding me a bit of Fumerie Turque (which I also love) ...

and (sniff, sniff, sniff) ...

leather? do I smell leather? oh, sweet heaven, I do! (swoons)

Ambre Russe is fabulous enough in its own right and different enough from Amber Absolute that this may be next on my FB wishlist. I will wear the sample a few times and then report back.

This day JUST GOT FABULOUS!

Blog Entries

Thanks for your responses guys! Yes, Amber Absolute is definitely in my top 3, l will be doing some side-by-side testing before l pick a winner. Glad you're having a fabulous day Extreme isn't that "love at first sniff" just the BEST feeling!

Blog Entries

Tested Dark Amber & Ginger Lily today; the opening notes of ginger & cedar last a very long time, it's not until around 90 minutes in that l start to pick up a hint of floral. Those first 90 minutes are bright & lively, & l can imagine this working quite well in warm weather, however the ginger seems to irritate my throat a bit. The floral part seems more tuberose than lily to my nose. 2 hours in, the amber base is faint & woody, not at all sweet or vanillic on my skin, & after 3 hours it's almost gone. l'm a little disappointed with this, l was hoping for rich, heady florals combined with a deep, sweet amber, but didn't get them. lf you love ginger & want an amber that's wearable in summer this could be for you, but it's not on my shortlist.

Does anyone know of an amber frag which includes a heady, indolic jasmine? l would loooooove that!

Does anyone know of an amber frag which includes a heady, indolic jasmine? l would loooooove that!
    Have you tried Alien? It's all jasmine and amber to me, but it's not as simple as that sounds. There's also something woody in there giving it warmth and depth. It's somewhat strange, but that's what makes it beautiful and alluring.

Btw, I've been enjoying your reports on amber very much - thanks for sharing it all!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I recently tried Guerlain's Vega and strongly urge you to get a sample.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Have you tried Alien? It's all jasmine and amber to me, but it's not as simple as that sounds. There's also something woody in there giving it warmth and depth. It's somewhat strange, but that's what makes it beautiful and alluring.

Btw, I've been enjoying your reports on amber very much - thanks for sharing it all!
    Thanks Evangeline, it's nice to know people are reading & enjoying this! l've never tried Alien but l've just read all the reviews & l must say "supersonic jasmine" sounds very intriguing & fabulous, love that bottle too. l will be seeking this one out on my next sniffing trip into town, thanks for the suggestion!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vidacon View Post
    I recently tried Guerlain's Vega and strongly urge you to get a sample.
    Thanks vidacon, l read the reviews & they talk a lot about aldehydes which scares me a bit. Do you think it has the heady, creamy, sweet, resinous, vanillic feel l'm looking for?

It does have aldehydes, which I like, but that may be a deal-breaker for you. However, the opening is probably one of the most beautiful I've experienced, ever. In a matter of minutes, it works its way to heady, creamy, sweet, resinous. Vanilla, yes, but very ambery.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vidacon View Post
    It does have aldehydes, which I like, but that may be a deal-breaker for you. However, the opening is probably one of the most beautiful I've experienced, ever. In a matter of minutes, it works its way to heady, creamy, sweet, resinous. Vanilla, yes, but very ambery.
    Ooh that does sound good! Ok that's going on the test list, thanks!

Basenotes Plus

Oh!I have just read your thread teardrop!I remembered another one very similar!You could have a look here:It;s about the best amber scent !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/252...ume?highlight=
    LOVE IS BEST http://sophiloves.simplesite.com/429114763
    " I think part of my success as an editor came from never worrying about a fact, a cause, an atmosphere. It was me—projecting to the public. That was my job. I think I always had a perfectly clear view of what was possible for the public. Give 'em what they never knew they wanted." DiANA VREELAND
    Currently wearing: Love, Chloé by Chloé

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sophi View Post
    Oh!I have just read your thread teardrop!I remembered another one very similar!You could have a look here:It;s about the best amber scent !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/252...ume?highlight=
    Thanks for that sophi! l have now just read that thread & another one which it linked to, lots of inspiration on there, probably more than my wallet can stand! Curious that no-one mentioned Ambra Nera on there, though.

Blog Entries

Tested Ambre Narguile today; the opening has a definite tobacco note to my nose, & smokey, spicy, woody incense, supported by sweet, resinous amber & tonka, delicious! l'm not really getting the "dried fruit" notes others have mentioned, & can't pick out the cinnamon. l wish those opening notes lasted longer on me, as after about 20 minutes it all settles into a quite dry, woody phase for the next hour or so, until a sweet benzoin & soft amber come through in the base. lt's kind of light & transparent for an amber, & yet l can imagine this really warming me up on a cold day. The sillage is decent & it's still there after 3 hours of wearing. l like it, but l don't think l'd want a full bottle for the price they're charging! l will make my generous 4ml sample last as long as possible. (A "luxury sample" off ebay, it came in the cutest little Hermes box, l love it!)

Teardrop, you must be all set for this Saturday's Sniff 'n Speak.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for that sophi! l have now just read that thread & another one which it linked to, lots of inspiration on there, probably more than my wallet can stand! Curious that no-one mentioned Ambra Nera on there, though.
    I read these two threads and i find most scents mentioned common !
    You should try L’eau d’Ambre Extreme by L’Artisan Parfumer ,too!It's in my trying list!
    " I think part of my success as an editor came from never worrying about a fact, a cause, an atmosphere. It was me—projecting to the public. That was my job. I think I always had a perfectly clear view of what was possible for the public. Give 'em what they never knew they wanted." DiANA VREELAND

Basenotes Plus

Oh!I have to submit something i read about amber for your information :
    "Does amber even exist? Is it the distilled form of actual fossilized amber? No, most definitely not. The smell we know of as amber is entirely fictional. You see "amber" in perfume pyramids, but it's not true.
    Actually, the smell is a combination of benzoin, labdanum, and vanilla; relatively precise measurements have to be made (three teaspoons benzoin, ¾-quarters teaspoon labdanum, and considerably less than ½ teaspoon of vanilla)."

That's a very interesting interview !!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Teardrop, you must be all set for this Saturday's Sniff 'n Speak.
    l certainly am, but oh what shall l wear? So many to choose from! l'll ponder that one over the next couple of days. What perfect timing though!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sophi View Post
    Oh!I have to submit something i read about amber for your information :
    "Does amber even exist? Is it the distilled form of actual fossilized amber? No, most definitely not. The smell we know of as amber is entirely fictional. You see "amber" in perfume pyramids, but it's not true.
    Actually, the smell is a combination of benzoin, labdanum, and vanilla; relatively precise measurements have to be made (three teaspoons benzoin, ¾-quarters teaspoon labdanum, and considerably less than ½ teaspoon of vanilla)."

That's a very interesting interview !!!
    Sophi we are doing that simultaneous posting thing again, spooky! Yes l'm sure l've read that somewhere, was it on Perfume Shrine?

Blog Entries

Double post again, darn it!

Basenotes Plus

You could read the whole article in here;
    http://www.fragrantica.com/news/What...way--1704.html

I see someone mentioned i Profumi di Firenze Ambra del Nepal above which is an excellent fragrance, but another Italian one that's even better than this in my opinion is JOLIET by Essenze di Mezzanotte which comes in 100ml parfum strength.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I see someone mentioned i Profumi di Firenze Ambra del Nepal above which is an excellent fragrance, but another Italian one that's even better than this in my opinion is JOLIET by Essenze di Mezzanotte which comes in 100ml parfum strength.
    Thanks Craig, can't find this one in the directory, can you tell me more about it? ls it a sweet amber? What's the sillage & longevity like?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    l tried it today & loved it! The top notes were a little disconcerting; l got a fleeting impression of a dental surgery, but after a few minutes there was a soaring jasmine with an interesting peppery edge, & l couldn't stop sniffing my wrist. After an hour a woody, sweet ambery note came in & there was a nice muskiness in the base. The sillage was great, it lasted about 5 hours on me, l found it seductive & unusual, & l think this is going on my wishlist, thanks so much Evangeline!

l think l may start another thread on ambery florals, as l'd like to find out if there are any others l should try. As for the other ambers, l'm still doing some side-by-side testing when l get time, & will be reporting back.

so what are your top three so far teardrop?

Blog Entries

So far, l think it's Ambra Aurea, Amber Absolute & Ambra Nera. Note Ambree is also up there, & possibly Anne Pliska, which l need to try again. So many nice ones, it's a hard decision!

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Laura Mercier has just come out with 2 new ambers- one is an oil - Ambre Passion Elixir and strong and the the other is EDP - Ambre Passion Velvet. I have to say - it looks very appealing to me.
    http://www.nstperfume.com/2010/09/20...grance-review/
    These sound wonderful, I love Ambre Passion and was just looking to buy it, maybe I'll wait until I can try those two.
    "I love that a scent can make memories come alive."

Try Ambre Russe from Parfums d'Empire. A wonderful tea and amber scent with a crisp boozy topnote which fades into wonderful amber.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada