Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Got my amber frag samples, any opinions?

I also think you should test Montale's Blue Amber before making a final decision.

Ambra Nera is so-so, with moderate longevity. Note Ambree is more floral with amber undertones. Ambra Aurea is absolutely delightful and probably smells the most authentic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Try Ambre Russe from Parfums d'Empire. A wonderful tea and amber scent with a crisp boozy topnote which fades into wonderful amber.
    Thanks Primrose, but as l said earlier l'm kind of put off by the boozy notes of this one.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I also think you should test Montale's Blue Amber before making a final decision.

Ambra Nera is so-so, with moderate longevity. Note Ambree is more floral with amber undertones. Ambra Aurea is absolutely delightful and probably smells the most authentic.
    Thanks Trebor, yes Blue Amber is one l'd definitely still like to try. (Jasmin Full & lntense Tiare are respectively my HG jasmine & tiare frags, so l'm a big fan of Montale)

Others l still plan to try are Ambre Soie, (anyone know where l can get a sample of this?) Musc Ravageur, the Laura Mercier one, & l have a sample on the way of Joliet.

Anyway, after much testing, l have finally put the ones l've tried in order of preference! Here's my top 12 so far;
    1. Ambra Aurea; just the most "killer" amber l can imagine, it's got everything.
    2. Amber Absolute; a very CLOSE second.
    3. Ambra Nera
    4. Note Ambree
    5. Anne Pliska; very versatile, the only one l felt comfortable wearing at work.
    6. Ambre Precieux
    7. Sage Machado Amber; would have scored higher if it had better sillage, but lovely comfort scent.
    8. Ambre Narguile
    9. Fiore d'Ambra
    10. Ambre Sultan
    11. Dark Amber & Ginger Lily
    12. Black Amber

lMHO of course...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Although this hasn't been pointed out before, I have noticed similarities between Fiore d'Ambra and Musc Ravageur (mainly the combination of amber/vanilla, and spices of cinnamon and clove). Out of the two, I much prefer Fiore d'Ambra (as it's devoid of a musk base). Just to let you know.

Btw, Blue Amber is more tenacious than Ambra Aurea but is also more resinous, with a dollop of patchouli and powdery vanilla. Either way, those are the two most satisfying amber scents I've tried to date.

Ambre Soie: http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products...BRESOIEpg.aspx
    Last edited by Trebor; 12th October 2010 at 08:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Although this hasn't been pointed out before, I have noticed similarities between Fiore d'Ambra and Musc Ravageur (mainly the combination of amber/vanilla, and spices of cinnamon and clove). Out of the two, I much prefer Fiore d'Ambra (as it's devoid of a musk base). Just to let you know.

Btw, Blue Amber is more tenacious than Ambra Aurea but is also more resinous, with a dollop of patchouli and powdery vanilla. Either way, those are the two most satisfying amber scents I've tried to date.

Ambre Soie: http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products...BRESOIEpg.aspx
    Actually l like musk, maybe that's what's missing in Fiore d'Ambra for me!
    The more l hear about Blue Amber, the more l like it already. lt's certainly less expensive than Ambra Aurea, so l'll try to resist a FB of AA until l've tried it.
    Ooh l forgot about TPC, thanks!

Well, if it works for you then that's great. However, don't expect there to be more amber in Musc Ravageur - the amber's more discrete than the amber in Fiore d'Ambra.

Oh, if you do decide to get Ambra Aurea, DO NOT get it from Harrods/Roja Dove! Last year, the price was the same as the e-tailers (140). Now, they've hiked up the price twice since then: 180 then 190!

Blog Entries

Well, if it works for you then that's great. However, don't expect there to be more amber in Musc Ravageur - the amber's more discrete than the amber in Fiore d'Ambra.

Oh, if you do decide to get Ambra Aurea, DO NOT get it from Harrods/Roja Dove! Last year, the price was the same as the e-tailers (140). Now, they've hiked up the price twice since then: 180 then 190!
    Yikes! No, if l get it it will be from Luckyscent. lt's $240 on there which is about 152. Still expensive taking shipping into account, but at least that way l can ask for a free sample of Blue Amber!

Blog Entries

Resurrecting this thread to report that l'm sampling Joliet by Essenza di Mezzanotte today. lt's a nice soft, subtle & sweet amber on me, in a similar vein to Estee Lauder's Amber Ylang Ylang (which l tested yesterday & reported on in my "ambery florals" thread). l would put it somewhere near Note Ambree & Ambre Precieux on my preference scale. l think it's subtle enough to wear at work & would also make a lovely comfort scent.
    Thanks to Craig for helping me get this sample!

Ambre sultan for me is quite overpowering but many amber lovers adore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    My faves from your list are Ambre Precieux ( smooooth ! ) , SL Ambre Sultan, Note Ambree,Ambra Aurea( Fiore d'Ambra was just a little bit too raw for me ) Special mention to Note Ambree which is wonderful ,smooth and delicious. *Note - edited because I got the 2 Profumums mixed up. Amber Aurea is the one I like.
    The one I dislike is Michelle Bergman's Black Amber - ,couldn't stand it for the life of me - eventually gave my sample away on MUA I think .

Blue Amber was gorgeous at first .It is a very lasting scent and it ended up feeling cloying .
    Ambre Naguile is beautiful too .

Regina Harris' Amber Vanilla is one wonderful aroma. Mostly amber - the vanilla is quite short lived.

Congrats on your samples and have fun.
    That list lacks many of my favorite ambers, and many I'm not familiar with, looking forward to read your impressions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by davidwilsoon View Post
    That list lacks many of my favorite ambers, and many I'm not familiar with, looking forward to read your impressions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    My faves from your list are Ambre Precieux ( smooooth ! ) , SL Ambre Sultan, Note Ambree,Ambra Aurea( Fiore d'Ambra was just a little bit too raw for me ) Special mention to Note Ambree which is wonderful ,smooth and delicious. *Note - edited because I got the 2 Profumums mixed up. Amber Aurea is the one I like.
    The one I dislike is Michelle Bergman's Black Amber - ,couldn't stand it for the life of me - eventually gave my sample away on MUA I think .

Blue Amber was gorgeous at first .It is a very lasting scent and it ended up feeling cloying .
    Ambre Naguile is beautiful too .

Regina Harris' Amber Vanilla is one wonderful aroma. Mostly amber - the vanilla is quite short lived.

Congrats on your samples and have fun.
    l've only just noticed that you swapped round the two Profumums Mimi, totally agree with you on that!