Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 61 to 72 of 72
  1. #61

    Default Re: Got my amber frag samples, any opinions?

    I also think you should test Montale's Blue Amber before making a final decision.

    Ambra Nera is so-so, with moderate longevity. Note Ambree is more floral with amber undertones. Ambra Aurea is absolutely delightful and probably smells the most authentic.

  2. #62
    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    5,886
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Got my amber frag samples, any opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Try Ambre Russe from Parfums d'Empire. A wonderful tea and amber scent with a crisp boozy topnote which fades into wonderful amber.
    Thanks Primrose, but as l said earlier l'm kind of put off by the boozy notes of this one.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  3. #63
    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    5,886
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Got my amber frag samples, any opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I also think you should test Montale's Blue Amber before making a final decision.

    Ambra Nera is so-so, with moderate longevity. Note Ambree is more floral with amber undertones. Ambra Aurea is absolutely delightful and probably smells the most authentic.
    Thanks Trebor, yes Blue Amber is one l'd definitely still like to try. (Jasmin Full & lntense Tiare are respectively my HG jasmine & tiare frags, so l'm a big fan of Montale)

    Others l still plan to try are Ambre Soie, (anyone know where l can get a sample of this?) Musc Ravageur, the Laura Mercier one, & l have a sample on the way of Joliet.

    Anyway, after much testing, l have finally put the ones l've tried in order of preference! Here's my top 12 so far;
    1. Ambra Aurea; just the most "killer" amber l can imagine, it's got everything.
    2. Amber Absolute; a very CLOSE second.
    3. Ambra Nera
    4. Note Ambree
    5. Anne Pliska; very versatile, the only one l felt comfortable wearing at work.
    6. Ambre Precieux
    7. Sage Machado Amber; would have scored higher if it had better sillage, but lovely comfort scent.
    8. Ambre Narguile
    9. Fiore d'Ambra
    10. Ambre Sultan
    11. Dark Amber & Ginger Lily
    12. Black Amber

    lMHO of course...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  4. #64

    Default Re: Got my amber frag samples, any opinions?

    Although this hasn't been pointed out before, I have noticed similarities between Fiore d'Ambra and Musc Ravageur (mainly the combination of amber/vanilla, and spices of cinnamon and clove). Out of the two, I much prefer Fiore d'Ambra (as it's devoid of a musk base). Just to let you know.

    Btw, Blue Amber is more tenacious than Ambra Aurea but is also more resinous, with a dollop of patchouli and powdery vanilla. Either way, those are the two most satisfying amber scents I've tried to date.

    Ambre Soie: http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products...BRESOIEpg.aspx
    Last edited by Trebor; 12th October 2010 at 08:18 PM.

  5. #65
    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    5,886
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Got my amber frag samples, any opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Although this hasn't been pointed out before, I have noticed similarities between Fiore d'Ambra and Musc Ravageur (mainly the combination of amber/vanilla, and spices of cinnamon and clove). Out of the two, I much prefer Fiore d'Ambra (as it's devoid of a musk base). Just to let you know.

    Btw, Blue Amber is more tenacious than Ambra Aurea but is also more resinous, with a dollop of patchouli and powdery vanilla. Either way, those are the two most satisfying amber scents I've tried to date.

    Ambre Soie: http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products...BRESOIEpg.aspx
    Actually l like musk, maybe that's what's missing in Fiore d'Ambra for me!
    The more l hear about Blue Amber, the more l like it already. lt's certainly less expensive than Ambra Aurea, so l'll try to resist a FB of AA until l've tried it.
    Ooh l forgot about TPC, thanks!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  6. #66

    Default Re: Got my amber frag samples, any opinions?

    Well, if it works for you then that's great. However, don't expect there to be more amber in Musc Ravageur - the amber's more discrete than the amber in Fiore d'Ambra.

    Oh, if you do decide to get Ambra Aurea, DO NOT get it from Harrods/Roja Dove! Last year, the price was the same as the e-tailers (140). Now, they've hiked up the price twice since then: 180 then 190!

  7. #67
    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    5,886
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Got my amber frag samples, any opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Well, if it works for you then that's great. However, don't expect there to be more amber in Musc Ravageur - the amber's more discrete than the amber in Fiore d'Ambra.

    Oh, if you do decide to get Ambra Aurea, DO NOT get it from Harrods/Roja Dove! Last year, the price was the same as the e-tailers (140). Now, they've hiked up the price twice since then: 180 then 190!
    Yikes! No, if l get it it will be from Luckyscent. lt's $240 on there which is about 152. Still expensive taking shipping into account, but at least that way l can ask for a free sample of Blue Amber!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  8. #68
    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    5,886
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Got my amber frag samples, any opinions?

    Resurrecting this thread to report that l'm sampling Joliet by Essenza di Mezzanotte today. lt's a nice soft, subtle & sweet amber on me, in a similar vein to Estee Lauder's Amber Ylang Ylang (which l tested yesterday & reported on in my "ambery florals" thread). l would put it somewhere near Note Ambree & Ambre Precieux on my preference scale. l think it's subtle enough to wear at work & would also make a lovely comfort scent.
    Thanks to Craig for helping me get this sample!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  9. #69

    Default Re: Got my amber frag samples, any opinions?

    Ambre sultan for me is quite overpowering but many amber lovers adore it.

  10. #70

    Default Re: Got my amber frag samples, any opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    My faves from your list are Ambre Precieux ( smooooth ! ) , SL Ambre Sultan, Note Ambree,Ambra Aurea( Fiore d'Ambra was just a little bit too raw for me ) Special mention to Note Ambree which is wonderful ,smooth and delicious. *Note - edited because I got the 2 Profumums mixed up. Amber Aurea is the one I like.
    The one I dislike is Michelle Bergman's Black Amber - ,couldn't stand it for the life of me - eventually gave my sample away on MUA I think .

    Blue Amber was gorgeous at first .It is a very lasting scent and it ended up feeling cloying .
    Ambre Naguile is beautiful too .

    Regina Harris' Amber Vanilla is one wonderful aroma. Mostly amber - the vanilla is quite short lived.

    Congrats on your samples and have fun.
    That list lacks many of my favorite ambers, and many I'm not familiar with, looking forward to read your impressions.
    __________________
    watch movies online

  11. #71
    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    5,886
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Got my amber frag samples, any opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidwilsoon View Post
    That list lacks many of my favorite ambers, and many I'm not familiar with, looking forward to read your impressions.
    __________________
    watch movies online
    Thanks David, & welcome to basenotes! Which are your favourite ambers?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  12. #72
    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    5,886
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Got my amber frag samples, any opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    My faves from your list are Ambre Precieux ( smooooth ! ) , SL Ambre Sultan, Note Ambree,Ambra Aurea( Fiore d'Ambra was just a little bit too raw for me ) Special mention to Note Ambree which is wonderful ,smooth and delicious. *Note - edited because I got the 2 Profumums mixed up. Amber Aurea is the one I like.
    The one I dislike is Michelle Bergman's Black Amber - ,couldn't stand it for the life of me - eventually gave my sample away on MUA I think .

    Blue Amber was gorgeous at first .It is a very lasting scent and it ended up feeling cloying .
    Ambre Naguile is beautiful too .

    Regina Harris' Amber Vanilla is one wonderful aroma. Mostly amber - the vanilla is quite short lived.

    Congrats on your samples and have fun.
    l've only just noticed that you swapped round the two Profumums Mimi, totally agree with you on that!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Similar Threads

  1. Amber Amber Amber -- Your Favorite Amber Frag?
    By moltening in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 9th December 2013, 07:48 PM
  2. Looking for opinions/places for samples of Hermes
    By cutchemist42 in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17th December 2008, 08:26 PM
  3. Adding an Amber frag.
    By Ron199 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 13th December 2007, 04:16 AM
  4. Opinions and help...Any of these cologne samples good???
    By The Squire in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 28th May 2007, 05:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •