Code of Conduct

Default Cross post from Female Fragrance Board: Anybody know the House of Myrurgia from Spain?

This was a blind ebay purchase. It's called My de Myrurgia. I can't find any information about it. I think the bottle and box have an 80s look. I used to wear Natural de Myrurgia in the 80s, and other than Maja that's the only Myrurgia fragrance I know. I couldn't resist this mystery fragrance. I am curious about Myrurgia but I think they've been taken over by Puig, and I've read that Maja is a ghastly reformulation. Anyway, I was hoping a Basenoter might possibly know something about this one.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cross post from Female Fragrance Board: Anybody know the House of Myrurgia from Spain?

Yes, my mom had a few Myrurgias on her dresser when I was a kid, Maja (1921) is the one I remember best. Embrujo de Sevilla (1933), Flor de Blasón (1926), and Maderas de Oriente (1920) were others.

The names are beautiful: Maja is "Enchantress" (a reference to Goya's painting of the Duchess of Alba, in two versions, one clothed, the other a nude); Embrjuo de Sevilla is "Sorcery of Seville"; Flor de Blasón is "Heraldic Flower"; and Maderas de Oriente, "Oriental Woods." Do today's perfumes have such romantic names?
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Default Re: Cross post from Female Fragrance Board: Anybody know the House of Myrurgia from Spain?

No, JaimeB, we don't have such wonderfully romantic names today. I knew somebody here would remember Myrurgia. I think I must have bought the only bottle of My de Myrurgia in the USA. I'm so curious now.

JaimeB said it all, and you've guessed right, Myrurgia (as well as other major Spanish perfume makers) have been bought by Antonio Puig. It closed in , nowadays a gigantic corporation licensing global brandnames like Paco Rabanne, Corolina Herrera, Commes des Garcons and Antonio Banderas, as well as the owner of well established regional and local brands. Still they kept the name, thus some of the perfumes blended by Myrurgia are stil sold under it, including some classics.

Regarding the brandnames, I also noticed that those in Spanish are somehow a thing of the past - blame it on linguistic fetishism, the need to forget things of the past or whatever. Check these names out:

Flores del Mal - Flowers of Evil
    Goyescas - Goyesques (relating to a series of paintings by Goya)
    Orgìa - Orgy (!!!)
    Suspiro de Granada - Granada's sigh
    Señorial - I cannot translate for the concept is quite complicated. Señor means Sir, so it would be like "Sirhood" or an attitude related to that of a person who is very important.
    Perfume Alado - Winged Perfume
    Morisca - Moorish
    Junglas - Jungles
    Flor de Blasón - Blazon's flower
    Clavel de España - Spain's Carnation

Ok, enough inspiration for such names like "Flores del Jardìn los Senderos que se Bifurcan" ("Flowers of the Garden of Forking Paths"), "Azahares del Jardín de la República" (Orange Blossoms from the Nation's Garden), "Desprecio" (Contempt), "Mujer Despechada" (Spiteful woman) or "Percanta que me amuraste mal" (Sinful woman leaving me high and dry).

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    JaimeB said it all, and you've guessed right, Myrurgia (as well as other major Spanish perfume makers) have been bought by Antonio Puig. It closed in , nowadays a gigantic corporation licensing global brandnames like Paco Rabanne, Corolina Herrera, Commes des Garcons and Antonio Banderas, as well as the owner of well established regional and local brands. Still they kept the name, thus some of the perfumes blended by Myrurgia are stil sold under it, including some classics.

Regarding the brandnames, I also noticed that those in Spanish are somehow a thing of the past - blame it on linguistic fetishism, the need to forget things of the past or whatever. Check these names out:

Flores del Mal - Flowers of Evil
    Goyescas - Goyesques (relating to a series of paintings by Goya)
    Orgìa - Orgy (!!!)
    Suspiro de Granada - Granada's sigh
    Señorial - I cannot translate for the concept is quite complicated. Señor means Sir, so it would be like "Sirhood" or an attitude related to that of a person who is very important.
    Perfume Alado - Winged Perfume
    Morisca - Moorish
    Junglas - Jungles
    Flor de Blasón - Blazon's flower
    Clavel de España - Spain's Carnation

Ok, enough inspiration for such names like "Flores del Jardìn los Senderos que se Bifurcan" ("Flowers of the Garden of Forking Paths"), "Azahares del Jardín de la República" (Orange Blossoms from the Nation's Garden), "Desprecio" (Contempt), "Mujer Despechada" (Spiteful woman) or "Percanta que me amuraste mal" (Sinful woman leaving me high and dry).
    Those are fantastic, Pollux! My de Myrurgia Eau de Toilette para Ella seems very humdrum in comparison.

Also, Next Limits from Myrurgia is fairly unisex and thus somehow recommendable as a light, citrus-infused, summary casual cologne, marginally reminding me of Mugler Cologne and of EDV by Hermes

Thanks, Ken_Russell! I've never even heard of most of these. The only two I remember seeing were Maja and Natural. I don't suppose even half the Myrurgia line was exported to the U.S.