Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Frustrated (Grrr) with my bottle(s) of Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille

I got a sample of Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille from The Perfumed Court and loved it so much I bought a full bottle at Saks, but it did not smell the same as my sample. Sent it back and got a bottle from Bergdorf Goodman and even that didn't smell quite the same as my sample. The sample from TPC was definitely more boozy vanilla rum in the opening. I am frustrated. Is the sample I got from TPC perhaps an concentree or something ?
    Neal
    Last edited by neal; 17th September 2010 at 12:32 AM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Frustrated (Grrr) with my bottle(s) of Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Did you ask TPC this question?

Default Re: Frustrated (Grrr) with my bottle(s) of Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Yep ask TPC, or even ask them for the code of the bottle they poured the juice from.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Did you ask TPC this question?
    Waiting on a response.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    Yep ask TPC, or even ask them for the code of the bottle they poured the juice from.
    What will a code tell me? Mine says 9W01.

^ Ask Guerlain is the code is legit, and ask when the bottle was produced, if it was actually SDV and not some special version, etc.

I assume you've tried your sample and your bottles side by side, yes?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

There's only one version of Spiritueuse Double Vanille, so a concentree is out of the question. Chances are it may be a variation in batches. Worse case scenario: reformulation.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Sorry to hear about this. I love SDV's boozy vanilla & got some decants from TPC. If it's a batch problem, perhaps you could return the bottle for refund? I remember how disappointed I was with Chergui post reformulation so I can understand your pain.
    Currently wearing: 31 rue Cambon by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    ^ Ask Guerlain is the code is legit, and ask when the bottle was produced, if it was actually SDV and not some special version, etc.

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post

Yes.

Definitely very annoying. I'm guessing, maybe the vial/decant bottle you got evaporated some alcohol and that's why it smells stronger and boozier. Didn't you guys complain about the TPC decants for not being air-tight? Must be disappointing because you placed your order based on what you got as a sample.

If they have reformulated it .... I can feel a hissy fit coming on ........

Was your sample a spray one or a dab one?
    I have already had two samples of SDV from perfumed court, and i recently bought my bottle of SDV, but didn`t notice any relevant differences.

It was a dab. It was tightly sealed. The top notes are obviously more rummy, boozy and vanilla in the sample.
    Where did you get your full bottle from?

I`ve alrady notice this with some samples that i had, that they used to concentrate some of the notes when you dabbed them instead of spray. Wish I could understand why.

I bought mine bottle from a nice seller on ebay. It was a new, sealed one.

Oh, and did you tried it recently or you had a sample a time ago and them bought a bottle?
    I have already had this frustation with some frags too, that i tried, loved the aspects that i perceived, and then, when i come back to try the same sample, it was like my perception changed
    Hope that they haven`t messed up with this fragrance, it`s one of the best vanillas that i`ve tried.

I am now absolutely convinced Spiritueuse Double Vanille has been reformulated at least once. I have two older samples from separate sources as well as a bottle that was a couple of years old I bought on ebay (had 50% juice - but all but ~10 mls leaked out during shipping) Anyway I have purchased two bottles from Saks and Bergdorf Goodman. The changes are mainly in the top notes. I have compared all of the 3 older samples with the two newer bottles several times and each and every time I get that the older juice is more vanilla-rum-boozy, fuller, richer and resinous in the opening. After an hour or so they're the same but I miss that beautiful opening.
    Last edited by neal; 6th November 2010 at 12:31 AM.

This being said, any other similar boozy-rummy-MASCULINE vanilla's

I was told 2 weeks ago by a Guerlain SA thats it now , once its gone its gone . Has anyone else heard this ?

my sdv sample of tpc was very weak ^^ received it 2 weeks ago and it's really light..
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    I am now absolutely convinced Spiritueuse Double Vanille has been reformulated at least once. I have two older samples from separate sources as well as a bottle that was a couple of years old I bought on ebay (had 50% juice - but all but ~10 mls leaked out during shipping) Anyway I have purchased two bottles from Saks and Bergdorf Goodman. The changes are mainly in the top notes. I have compared all of the 3 older samples with the two newer bottles several times and each and every time I get that the older juice is more vanilla-rum-boozy, fuller, richer and resinous in the opening. After an hour or so they're the same but I miss that beautiful opening.
    Hmmm, I don't know WHAT sample I have, but I don't really get much of an opening to it. If anything, it dives very quickly into the rummy vanilla everyone talks about, and stays that way forever. I wonder if I'm missing anything?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I have an old bottle of SDV from when it was first released, and I just recently (days ago) smelled it at the Guerlain Boutique. The tester bottle is not old, it is new. It smells identical. I don't believe it has been reformulated, unless they have also just recently again gone back to the original formulation, which I highly doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I have an old bottle of SDV from when it was first released, and I just recently (days ago) smelled it at the Guerlain Boutique. The tester bottle is not old, it is new. It smells identical. I don't believe it has been reformulated, unless they have also just recently again gone back to the original formulation, which I highly doubt.
    +1 Amen.
    I smell marshmallows!
    Currently wearing: Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri

I just have to respectfully disagree the two new bottles are not the same in the opening to the three older bottles. Believe, you me - I wish they were. The difference is for the first, I would say 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    I just have to respectfully disagree the two new bottles are not the same in the opening to the three older bottles. Believe, you me - I wish they were. The difference is for the first, I would say 30 minutes.
    From what I understand your older bottles are decants? Perhaps you are dealing with evaporation issues, because I don't smell a difference between the two myself.

Two are decants, one is an older bottle.
    I'd love others too chime in that have an older bottle and a newer bottle?
    I guess anything's possible!

It sounds like you are saying that as the new bottle burns off it smells the same as the drydown of the old bottle... the top notes are what are the problem. If there is evaporation involved then the top notes are what will be affected.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 7th November 2010 at 09:19 PM.

Yes that is what I am saying. But the top notes seem more fuller, richer and boozier in the older bottle?

Yes, so I'm saying that it is possible that you have had an issue of evaporation on the older bottle, so therefore you would be smelling fewer topnotes and therefore a richer scent straight away.

Did you get that sort of faint vinegar/ band-aid-ish (pink pepper?) from the opening that last couple minutes from the sample?