Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Montale - BLACK MUSK - and its AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

I love montale but have very disappointed with his latest string of releases! The Aoud ones had no oud, and the others just sucked. I heard of a new one called black Musk so I placed a blind order of it and it just came in. It comes in a black bottle and think of the scent as Black Aoud Light. It is literally Black Aoud with Musk to Musk (Two of my favorites) with some Smokey elements. Really really beautiful The Perfume Court has samples of this and any montale lovers of black Aoud and any of his musk scents should definitely try this. Finally a new release from Montale worthy of a full bottle!!!

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: New Montale - BLACK MUSK - and its AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Oh Cairomerta - Musk to Musk is just fantastic - one of my faves too. This new Black Musk sounds amazing.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Its really good Mimi. This is a darker musk to musk. But i agree with you Musk to musk is simply my go to summer clean scent!! Oh and it smells good in winter too

This sounds good! I'm surprised I haven't heard about it until now. I hope it's available in the middle east.

Does it still have that chemical Windex like nutmeg accord that musk to musk had? Sorry, I know many love it, but I absolutely hated that scent. I just don't get along with that particular musk chemical I guess, at least not in such a concentration. I also dislike Bulgari PH, which features a similar accord and I believe the same musk in high quantities.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    Its really good Mimi. This is a darker musk to musk. But i agree with you Musk to musk is simply my go to summer clean scent!! Oh and it smells good in winter too
    Such food for thought Cairomerta . Musk to Musk itself is addictive , gets you subconsciously and so long lasting. A darker version of it ,must simply be divine.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I just ordered a sample the other day.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Does it still have that chemical Windex like nutmeg accord that musk to musk had? Sorry, I know many love it, but I absolutely hated that scent. I just don't get along with that particular musk chemical I guess, at least not in such a concentration. I also dislike Bulgari PH, which features a similar accord and I believe the same musk in high quantities.
    I dont get that from this scent at all so maybe the "Black Aoud" patchouli vibe i get from this balances that portion out a bit. Its worth a sample if you like black aoud though.

So where did you purchase this from if you don't mind my asking? I can only find decants of it for sale on tpc

That's rather encouraging to hear, though I'll remain sceptical until I sample it - for the last two years, Montale has been releasing utter crap. I've never been a fan of Montale's musk scents but I'll add this to my 'to try' list.

Basenotes Plus

Musk to Musk is one of my favorites from Montale. And Black Aoud has many fans on BN. To say this feels like a combination of both certainly piques my interest!

Sur la Plage

I love Black Aoud and Musk to Musk, so look forward to trying this one.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thanks for sharing your impressions Cairo! I wouldn`t have paid attention on this one, since at my skin a lot of montale frags are very close to each other, and heavy stuffs that make them hard to wear. I`ve sold my Black Aoud for this reason, it was too intense for me and i couldn`t see myself wanting to wear it. Maybe i`ll like this muskier, light, version of it.
    Do this one has the same price of the aoud line?

Quote Originally Posted by philmcphe View Post
    So where did you purchase this from if you don't mind my asking? I can only find decants of it for sale on tpc
    Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Thanks for sharing your impressions Cairo! I wouldn`t have paid attention on this one, since at my skin a lot of montale frags are very close to each other, and heavy stuffs that make them hard to wear. I`ve sold my Black Aoud for this reason, it was too intense for me and i couldn`t see myself wanting to wear it. Maybe i`ll like this muskier, light, version of it.
    Do this one has the same price of the aoud line?
    I purchased this directly from Montale Paris. I ordered it over the phone and it arrived in about 7 days. The price was only $125 as it is not part of the Aoud line. It is part of the regular line but i swear there is a strong Aoud note in it.

Basenotes Institution

The description of Black Aoud Light, sounds to me like that Juliette Had a Gun fragrance, Midnight Oud. Would you compare Black Musk to Midnight Oud cairomerta?

If you happen to visit Dubai, Cairo, gimme a PM. I'll give you directions to a dealer who sells Montale frags that are made exclusively for this market. You won't find them at the Paris Gallery showrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The description of Black Aoud Light, sounds to me like that Juliette Had a Gun fragrance, Midnight Oud. Would you compare Black Musk to Midnight Oud cairomerta?
    Hi Mike. I actually have Midnight Oud and love it but I wouldnt say it smells the same at all. This one literally smells like Montale took Black Aoud and mixed it 50/50 with Musk to musk. It weaves in and out with the smell of those two scents. You get the dark patchouli aoud combo of black aoud and then you get wafts of that very clean Musk to Musk smell. Midnight Aoud has a more metallic topnote to me and a lot of saffron. This doesnt. Its really nice and again something that people would maybe like who had trouble with the intensity of Black Aoud.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    If you happen to visit Dubai, Cairo, gimme a PM. I'll give you directions to a dealer who sells Montale frags that are made exclusively for this market. You won't find them at the Paris Gallery showrooms.
    This sounds great. I go to dubai every year or so. I would love too check that out. Thanks!

Hi Mike. I actually have Midnight Oud and love it but I wouldnt say it smells the same at all. This one literally smells like Montale took Black Aoud and mixed it 50/50 with Musk to musk. It weaves in and out with the smell of those two scents. You get the dark patchouli aoud combo of black aoud and then you get wafts of that very clean Musk to Musk smell. Midnight Aoud has a more metallic topnote to me and a lot of saffron. This doesnt. Its really nice and again something that people would maybe like who had trouble with the intensity of Black Aoud.
    Interesting, I had the same curiosity about this one and midnight oud. Thanks for clarifying!

Just tried my first Montale today - Black Oud and now I want more samples. Oh dear... I like Black Oud but think I need something darker/woodier and less floral.

Quote Originally Posted by e d o View Post
    Just tried my first Montale today - Black Oud and now I want more samples. Oh dear... I like Black Oud but think I need something darker/woodier and less floral.
    Oud Cuir d'Arabie would probably be your best bet for something darker and woodier, as most of the other ouds have floral notes to some extent.

Basenotes Institution

Interesting. I am usually very sensitive to saffron in fragrances and I don't get too much of it in Midnight Oud. Nonetheless, thanks for the comparisons. I personally, love the intensity of Black Aoud.

cool, this sounds like a great scent. However I feel as if I need to test all the other Montale scents to 'understand' any new releases. Without that I will lost as to where the new scents fit in into the line up.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

its a good thing i have a good job because i would go broke due to this website.....haha jk, i am a sucker for anything musk...and i dig both musk to musk and black oud, in fact i have both, i will have to layer them, that is until i recieve my 8 ml from perfumed court which i just ordered....this website is addictive! Thanks for the info on this one, i would have never seen it, im looking forward to it.
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Oud Cuir d'Arabie would probably be your best bet for something darker and woodier, as most of the other ouds have floral notes to some extent.
    Oud Cuir d'Arabie is definitely one I want to try next. How about Embruns D'Essaouira? Any opinions on this one?

OK I found the reviews. It seems the iodine puts most off. Maybe I'll skip this one.

Yep, it's awesome alright! It didn't quite click with me the first time I smeared the sample all over my knee, so I went on to sniff other samples. But the middle notes is where it started to get good. And the drydown was the best and it lasted forever. This definitely reminds me of Musk to Musk but an octave lower. There is some resemblance to Black Aoud, but Black Aoud is earthier and mossier, takes much longer to develop and is faster to fade on the skin. Just ordered my Black Musk from the Montale website. I love the fact that it is so much cheaper there and they add a complimentary 20ml bottle of your choosing.

What is the address for Montale's online shop? Preferably, the online shop in English.

They don't have an online shop, but if you go to their website montaleparfumsparis.com you can request an order by phone or e-mail. Shipping to the US is free if you buy a 100ml bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by e d o View Post
    Oud Cuir d'Arabie is definitely one I want to try next. How about Embruns D'Essaouira? Any opinions on this one?
    I think I'm the only one on the planet who likes Ed'E. I love the iodine/sea salt note. Sorry, now back to on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukiukas View Post
    They don't have an online shop, but if you go to their website montaleparfumsparis.com you can request an order by phone or e-mail. Shipping to the US is free if you buy a 100ml bottle.
    Do you know how much it would cost to buy a 100ml aoud perfume from the official website?

I think the price is different for each perfume so you would have to ask them. They are pretty good about answering their queries within a day or two. They have a contact form where you can write to them on their website. Good luck!

Do they still give that 20ml bottle out with purchase? do they give out samples?

I just ordered from them and they are indeed offering the 20ml with the 100ml purchase. Don't know about samples..

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

intriguing

Now came the mail that Full Incense and Black Musk have arrived to my friend's shop and they sell samples. I can't wait them.

Aw yes, forgot to chime in. Actually I find it quite similar to BA, a little tamer, a little musky but overall like the younger, slightly more wellbehaved brother.
    It's good and I'd prefer it over BA.
    Smellin good

Is this available in the States yet from any online retailer?

Dependent

Thanks for sharing Timaru.

Anyone else tried this? I wanna hear more thoughts... I'm so tempted... Black Aoud is great, M2M is decent enough. Does anyone know if the bottle comes in the same black as Black Aoud?

Quote Originally Posted by MFJ View Post
    Thanks for sharing Timaru.

Anyone else tried this? I wanna hear more thoughts... I'm so tempted... Black Aoud is great, M2M is decent enough. Does anyone know if the bottle comes in the same black as Black Aoud?
    Yes it comes in the black bottle too. At least my bottle is.

Black Musk is M7 by YSL, except that it lasts longer and has greater sillage. (I sprayed it on at Noon, and I am catching whiffs at 8:30pm!)

So I guess Black Musk is what M7 used to be (the legendary "vintage M7")
    Last edited by BeginnerNose; 2nd April 2011 at 07:36 PM.

This one literally smells like Montale took Black Aoud and mixed it 50/50 with Musk to musk. It weaves in and out with the smell of those two scents. You get the dark patchouli aoud combo of black aoud and then you get wafts of that very clean Musk to Musk smell.
    Drooool. I just ordered a sample yesterday and am actually really excited now after reading this thread.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Drooool. I just ordered a sample yesterday and am actually really excited now after reading this thread.
    Have had this for about a month now and I think you are going to like it a lot. It is a keeper IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Have you received you sample? Would love to know your thoughts on this. As a friend of mine is going to Paris in October and I would like to get a Montale frag. Could be this?

I still haven't sniffed a single Montale fragrance - part of the frustration of living in the UK where they aren't allowed, for some reason!

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    I still haven't sniffed a single Montale fragrance - part of the frustration of living in the UK where they aren't allowed, for some reason!
    I was very lucky that a nice basenoter sent me some samples. I was sold from first sniff. I now have 8 Montales and am on the lookout for more. Wearing Black Aoud today and every time I wear it I love it more and more.

Black Musk sounds interesting indeed!!! No idea what my next Montale purchase will be though

Hey, I live in the UK too, and found it very frustrating that we are "not allowed" Montale!!! After reading all the hype, and so many good reviews, and so many of their fragrances sound so nice and interesting, I decided to blindly order direct. And I'm sooooooo glad I did!!

I got Taj and Sweet Oriental dream, with 20ml Aoud Musk. All fantastic. The Aoud Musk is so powerful though, fatigue comes soon and you can't smell a thing even though everyone in a mile radius can!!!

Back to topic, I think I may have to order Black Musk as it sounds like it may cure my Aoud Musk fatigue problem. It sounds similar, but lighter and so won't blast the nose too much!!
    LOST! in scent and music

According to Pierre Montale, they simply don't have enough stock to cater for the UK as well. But he did hint that it may be a possibility in a couple of years.

Personally, I wasn't too impressed with Black Musk. You can read my review here:

http://scentforthought.blogspot.com/...k-montale.html

I received oh so many compliments from clients over the last week while wearing Black Musk.
    Current top 5
    1. Creed Vintage Tabaróme
    2. Maison Francis Kurkdjian Absolue pour le Soir
    3. Comme des Garçons 8 88
    4. Montale Black Musk
    5. Profumum Antico Caruso

I'm absolutely loving my decant of this. Wore it on a gig Saturday and got 2 compliments in the club.....to call it a toned down Black Aoud is a bit of an insult, but probably a grain of truth in that it is much more wearable.

This is another Montale I need to add to my wardrobe because it is beautifully constructed and versatile, joining Red Vetyver as a scent I can pull off anywhere at anytime. I love my Wild Aoud, Black Aoud, and Taj, but they are not as versatile.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

I emailed Montale the other day, asking for their advice on what I should order. I was struggling, as there's so many to choose from. Black Musk was one of the many I had in mind. I explained what I was looking for, and within an hour I got a reply.

Basically, I was told to definitely get Black Musk and Dark Aoud - "they are both absolutely amazing"
    LOST! in scent and music

Last edited by pluran; 23rd April 2012 at 05:04 AM.

I got the blotter sample from Montale of Black musk , its smells really nice , does it smell like this on skin ???

edit post
    Last edited by vinramani09; 7th October 2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: e

did you get the extra concentrated version??

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    I got the blotter sample from Montale of Black musk , its smells really nice , does it smell like this on skin ???
    Well, don't know about your blotter but I'm wearing my sample and it is just lovely. Sitting here watching the game and keep sticking my nose down my t-shirt for deep whiffs.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I've owned several Montales and tried almost all of them.

I seriously doubt Black Musk is anywhere nearly as good as some of the posts indicate but I guess there's always an outside chance that it's at least decent.

And regardless, it's still just a perfume.
    thanks for the absolutely worthless post.

edit

edit
    Last edited by vinramani09; 9th October 2011 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    thanks for the absolutely worthless post.
    My goodness, you certainly don't waste any time.