Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Keeping Creed flacons fresh

So I've been meaning to ask this on here for a while but I've got a liter of Windsor in my collection and I'm concerned that these flacons don't have the seal necessary to keep it fresh for years to come. This is my absolutely favorite scent and I fully intend on making my supply last (hopefully) the rest of my life. So should I decant this into something with a better seal to prevent top notes disappearing and just general evaporation? And if so got any suggestions on what?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Keeping Creed flacons fresh

I've never owned one of these flacons so I can't comment on the quality of the seal but I know some people put glass marbles into them to limit the amount of air inside the bottle. Great scent by the way!
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is important to keep the glass stopper very snug, cover with leather provided, and store back in the box in a place that is not warmer than room temperature. The fragrance should last many years that way. I love Creed Windsor as well.

Martin

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

as Martin said, definitely don't open it until you are ready to start "withdrawing" (using it). keep it sealed and in the box as the day you got it. keep it in a fridge if possible. it will last.

once you open it, i'd be a tad more concerned about degradation.... but again, if you keep it tightly sealed, cool, and dark, in all likely hood you will be just fine.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use Parafilm to seal my 1 liter flacon. This plastic film is non-adhesive and stretchy and can be wrapped around the stopper to seal out air. It's used to seal beakers in labs. Buy it on eBay-- you can get it in small quantities. I buy the 4 inch wide film but the 2 inch wide would also do.

I also use this to seal any samples or decants I mail. Seems to prevent leaks nicely.

It should go without saying that you should store your flacon in a dark, cool location.

About Parafilm:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parafilm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I use Parafilm to seal my 1 liter flacon. This plastic film is non-adhesive and stretchy and can be wrapped around the stopper to seal out air. It's used to seal beakers in labs. Buy it on eBay-- you can get it in small quantities. I buy the 4 inch wide film but the 2 inch wide would also do.

I also use this to seal any samples or decants I mail. Seems to prevent leaks nicely.

It should go without saying that you should store your flacon in a dark, cool location.

About Parafilm:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parafilm
    That sounds smart. I have only had one partial flacon, and could never get that leather thing to seal it in a manner I trusted. Pretty sure I was getting some evaporation. I ended up putting the juice in an atomizer. I wasn't worried about it staying fresh...but losing product to the "angels."

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome suggestion Roses! I think what I'm gonna go ahead and do is melt unscented wax around the seal, then wrap the parafilm around it and put the leather cover back. Suckers oughta stay pretty fresh hopefully for a few decades to come that way.

Not only do I keep my most precious ones in a thermoelectric refrigerator, I also spray in the kind of gas (i.e. argon/nitrogen) that's used in preserving wine. The former provides a constant/regulated temperature, whilst the latter is to prevent/retard oxidation.
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

heperd, I do like the Teflon/plumber's/ thread seal tape in your link-- but I don't see any way to use it on a flacon. I do use it over the threads of atomizers before I screw on the sprayer and it is great for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wrap it around the plug about 10 times. Makes a snug seal. The parafilm is an even better idea because it is specifically made for this. Hardware store also sell small corks that will probably work great.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I see! Great idea! I suppose one could use both-- the teflon tape and the Parafilm.