Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Marc Jacob's BANG is now available at Bloomingdale's - has anyone tried it yet?

Interested in the views of this one - I usually find his scents too light for me.

Default Re: Marc Jacob's BANG is now available at Bloomingdale's - has anyone tried it yet?

Haven't tried it yet, but I hope it's good because I love the bottle.

Default Re: Marc Jacob's BANG is now available at Bloomingdale's - has anyone tried it yet?

Nobody got to Bloomie's today?

Banned

Octavian gave Bang a really unexpected review. It sounds like it is very good.

read here:
    http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/2...fragrance.html

Looks like Jacobs went the Tom Ford school of sexploitation!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post

read here:
    Bang is modern and abstract, of a deceiving purity. Though, I wish it was 5 times more concentrate and tenacious! It belongs to that particular type of perfumes that make a perfect blend with the the skin - you do not fell "perfumed" and it slowly evaporates from your pores. Unlike the ad, it is not aggressive but tender."
    - quote from Octavian.

see this sums it up for me - a light skin scent that fades. I'll pass on this one.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post

read here:
    Now that's a surprise.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Bang is modern and abstract, of a deceiving purity. Though, I wish it was 5 times more concentrate and tenacious! It belongs to that particular type of perfumes that make a perfect blend with the the skin - you do not fell "perfumed" and it slowly evaporates from your pores. Unlike the ad, it is not aggressive but tender."
    - quote from Octavian.

see this sums it up for me - a light skin scent that fades. I'll pass on this one.
    What? Where does he say it's a skin scent? Because this does not smell perfumed, or lacks insane tenacity does not make it a skin scent! The quote says "Bang is modern and abstract, of a deceiving purity." Coming from a fragrance historian this means something! While it is light, it's also deceivingly robust.

Basenotes Institution

I didn't know Yann Vasnier was the nose. I love many of his fragrances. I will try this when I see it.

Tried a sample yesterday, and it didn't do much of anything for me. It's not a bad scent by any means, but it's the most "skin scent" scent i've ever tried: zero projection, very very subtle, completely discordant with the crazy bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    - quote from Octavian.

So you won't even try it based on this short passage which doesn't necessarily say what you think it does? Wow, Octavian must be a fragrance god to you! Well thank god there is always more Joop Homme at the Perfumania.

Wow, Octavian's review has me gotten me all curious - I love subtle, skin scents. The Bang AD is certainly going to keep away most straight males, I suspect it will be replaced with something less gay rather soon.
    I agree with Mike that Yann Vasnier is quite an amazing talent.

I smelled it yesterday. Very reminiscent of Terre d'Hermes, but not quite as powerful. The bottle design is fantastic and I bet it will be a popular scent, given how fashionable pepper scents and Marc Jacobs are.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Well thank god there is always more Joop Homme at the Perfumania.
    Sacrilege! Heresy! Abomination! You left off the exclamation point in Joop!...!

So you won't even try it based on this short passage which doesn't necessarily say what you think it does? Wow, Octavian must be a fragrance god to you! Well thank god there is always more Joop Homme at the Perfumania.
    Oh, I'll try it some day but will not be aggressive on my search or will it be top on my list. Yes thank god for Joop (!) Homme for it truly is scents like this that I gravate more to.

Any more feedback on this? I keep hearing Terre D'Hermes comparisons.

I've been wearing it for the last two days and I am with Octavian on this Bang is unexpectedly good and it is so very anti-sillage as to be surprising.
    The real surprise for me is how much, much better this is than Bleu de Chanel.
    I don't get the Terre D'Hermes comparisons as they arenot similar at all on my skin. It opens with a full black pepper note almost sneeze-inducing before settling into an extremely close wearing fragrance. If I pull my nose to my elbow I smell it loud and clear but if I pull my nose slightly away it is undetectable.
    for those who love to fill up a room with their vapor trail they will hate Bang. for me who likes the opportunity to wear something good that is only for me and those I let close Bang is going to be good.
    I'll say it right now Bang is the best men's mainstream release of the year, in my opinion.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I've been wearing it for the last two days and I am with Octavian on this Bang is unexpectedly good and it is so very anti-sillage as to be surprising.
    I don't get the Terre D'Hermes comparisons as they arenot similar at all on my skin. It opens with a full black pepper note almost sneeze-inducing before settling into an extremely close wearing fragrance. If I pull my nose to my elbow I smell it loud and clear but if I pull my nose slightly away it is undetectable.
    for those who love to fill up a room with their vapor trail they will hate Bang. for me who likes the opportunity to wear something good that is only for me and those I let close Bang is going to be good.
    I'll say it right now Bang is the best men's mainstream release of the year, in my opinion.
    Thanks SMM! Just what I was hoping for! Low sillage, comfort scent that smells really good. I have enough sillage producers. My bottle comes on Monday and I am as jumpy as ever now.

Blog Entries

COOL!

Black pepper and I are friends. This could be good.

This low-sillage mainstream thing could become annoying, however. Bleu de Chanel's lack of commitment is bad enough. I prefer something in between skin scents and sillage-throwers - something that sends wisps of fragrance into my personal space. If Bang can do that on my skin, great. But if not, I may have to settle for something else. Skin scents from go are not my bag.

Blog Entries

Just tried it today.

To oversimplify, imagine CDG's Incense: Jaisalmer (like the charred smoky remains of a piney cedar forest after a fire) with even more Iso E Super and a bunch of peppery vetiver on top (like Sycomore).

I think the "skin scent" complaints are mainly based on the Iso E Super, which the wearer can barely smell while the people around him get massive smoky wood silage.

I was shocked to smell it, this is my kind of frag, 100%. And I'm used to paying well over $100 to smell like this, so I'm quite happy. Please let this be a huge hit!

Oh, and I echo the complaints about Blue de Chanel. Just awful lowest-common-denominator designer aquatic dreck.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Just tried it today.

To oversimplify, imagine CDG's Incense: Jaisalmer (like the charred smoky remains of a piney cedar forest after a fire) with even more Iso E Super and a bunch of peppery vetiver on top (like Sycomore).

I think the "skin scent" complaints are mainly based on the Iso E Super, which the wearer can barely smell while the people around him get massive smoky wood silage.

I was shocked to smell it, this is my kind of frag, 100%. And I'm used to paying well over $100 to smell like this, so I'm quite happy. Please let this be a huge hit!

Oh, and I echo the complaints about Blue de Chanel. Just awful lowest-common-denominator designer aquatic dreck.
    OM#G.

This sounds like a winner.

On an [Iso E Super + pepper] overall detectability scale between Burberry The Beat For Men (0) and Poivre Samarcande (100), where would you place this?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    On an [Iso E Super + pepper] overall detectability scale between Burberry The Beat For Men (0) and Poivre Samarcande (100), where would you place this?
    OK, take equal parts cedar, pine, vetiver, and black pepper and dump them in a vat of Iso E Super. On paper at least, it's about a 9.5, but we're talking black pepper, not bell peppers.

Blog Entries

OK, take equal parts cedar, pine, vetiver, and black pepper and dump them in a vat of Iso E Super. On paper at least, it's about a 9.5, but we're talking black pepper, not bell peppers.
    That's 9.5/10 or 9.5/100? (just checking - I probably should have used 10 instead of 100). If it's 9.5/10, I'm making a special trip to find this sucker a.s.a.p.

Oh Geez! I sign off for an hour an come back to find this. You guys are about to send me over the edge. It sounds so promising....I am going to take an Ambien now to get to sleep or I will be 'banging' in my sleep all night.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I didn't know Yann Vasnier was the nose. I love many of his fragrances. I will try this when I see it.
    Some places (like Fragrantica) are saying that Ann Gottlieb is the perfumer. Scented Salamander says merely that she and Givaudan are involved in the creation (see exact wording here). More details desired.....

Ann created, among other things, Axe Dark Temptation - one of the best scents ever, IMO. She goes boldly.

Sur la Plage

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

I already wrote this in my Sample of the Day notes, but I was surprised how much they're pushing the gay angle on Bang. Apparently, Marc Jacobs has been quite the A-List gay for some time, but I didn't know it until this ad came out. For the big launch at Bloomingdales today they had a dj spinning very gay house music while shirtless bodybuilder guys danced and handed out samples with "Bang!" written on their chests. If you bought a bottle during this special launch, you got to have your picture taken with the Bang Boys! I can't imagine that they could possibly have sold a single bottle to a straight man today.

Sure, I'm in San Francisco and we do things a little differently here (including cologne launches), and I'd assume that, at least around here, way more gay men than straight men wander through the Bloomingdales perfume department, but I'd assume this is a planned promotional event put together by Marc Jacobs and Bllomingdales and they're doing the same in NY and LA, but I can't imagine them pulling this off in Kansas or Texas. OK, maybe Houston...

Personally, I am not into skin scents. I will try this if I run across it, regardless but don't think it will be my thing.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I've had it on for the past few hours. It's mellow and niche like. Actually reminds me of Mark Birley for Men with a hint of Moulton Brown Black Pepper. Pleasant, almost too pleasant. This is gonna be a hit with the office wearers.

The print ad should have been Alan Alda in a cardigan and khakis smiling for the camera.

nvrlnd said it above - "discordant with the crazy bottle". Indeed. It's Yanni headlining with opening act Metallica.
    Last edited by adonis; 1st August 2010 at 08:34 AM.

Blog Entries

Wow - I am missing out here in Timbuktu. Bleu de Chanel everywhere, and not a drop of Bang or Aventus to be had.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Some places (like Fragrantica) are saying that Ann Gottlieb is the perfumer. Scented Salamander says merely that she and Givaudan are involved in the creation (see exact wording here). More details desired.....

Ann created, among other things, Axe Dark Temptation - one of the best scents ever, IMO. She goes boldly.
    There was a big poster in Bloomie's in San Francisco which listed the notes, and also listed Ann Gottlieb as the nose. Octavian Coiffan, in his blog 1000Fragrances, lists Yann Vasnier. Frankly, it doesn't seem to me to be Vasnier's style, but who can say what brief whatever perfumer was given to work from...

I tried this on my skin on Thursday, and again today. My impression is that it has some sillage, not at the very beginning, but starting after about 10—15 minutes and for about 2—3 hours after, and then it settles down closer to the skin. The first impression is very much the top notes (black, pink, and white pepper), then you get some "precious woods," which may be an accord of high-end synthetics mimicking guaiac wood and teak or ebony; the base, a vetiver phase, is not especially prominent. If I wanted to say something negative about BANG, it would be that there doesn't seem to be much contrast in tone among the top, middle, and base, and that this makes it seem as though there isn't much development during the unfolding of the scent. Still, this will be hailed as a safe, masculine fragrance, and it does have some admirable qualities. Not as adventuresome as the ads paint it, though! Personally, since it's not priced at niche levels, I might get a small bottle after a little more reflection... but I'm not quite sold yet.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Blog Entries

^Thanks, Jaime! It sounds tempting - definitely competition for Bleu de Chanel. I tried that one again today, and I have to say that I love parts of it, particularly the initial blast, where the top notes lift out some of the basenotes for a truly symphonic combination. However, it very quickly loses that edge for me, growing less and less interesting. Bang as you and others describe it seems more likely to be a winner for me. I appreciate that there is *some* sillage, even if limited.

Ok. I went to Bloomingdales today to smell it. I had it on earlier, so i'll try to remember what I thought. I definitely know I loved the first 10 or so minutes of it. After that, this is VERY similar to TdH to me. Take away the citrus note, and add something a little more sensual, and you have BANG? If I was blindfolded, and someone sprayed this on my hand and then asked me what it was, I would say TdH. But then again, i'm not good with notes so I could be completely wrong.

But sooner or later i'm going to buy BANG just to have the beautiful bottle in my collection.

I did walk out with Womanity though...

Edit: I'm wearing a little of the sample I was given from Bloomingdales. If I stick my nose up to my arm, all I get is TdH, but just smelling whiffs of it, I can smell more of a difference.
    Last edited by BlueberryMansions; 1st August 2010 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueberryMansions View Post
    Ok. I went to Bloomingdales today to smell it. I had it on earlier, so i'll try to remember what I thought. I definitely know I loved the first 10 or so minutes of it. After that, this is VERY similar to TdH to me. Take away the citrus note, and add something a little more sensual, and you have BANG? If I was blindfolded, and someone sprayed this on my hand and then asked me what it was, I would say TdH. But then again, i'm not good with notes so I could be completely wrong.

But sooner or later i'm going to buy BANG just to have the beautiful bottle in my collection.

I did walk out with Womanity though...

Edit: I'm wearing a little of the sample I was given from Bloomingdales. If I stick my nose up to my arm, all I get is TdH, but just smelling whiffs of it, I can smell more of a difference.
    Betcha it's the ISO E Super that makes it sort of smell like TdH.

Tried it at Bloomingdales and didn't like it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Tried it at Bloomingdales and didn't like it at all.
    It is not French. Yea, stay with 1 Million - Paco Rabanne.

Basenotes Institution

I already wrote this in my Sample of the Day notes, but I was surprised how much they're pushing the gay angle on Bang. Apparently, Marc Jacobs has been quite the A-List gay for some time, but I didn't know it until this ad came out. For the big launch at Bloomingdales today they had a dj spinning very gay house music while shirtless bodybuilder guys danced and handed out samples with "Bang!" written on their chests. If you bought a bottle during this special launch, you got to have your picture taken with the Bang Boys! I can't imagine that they could possibly have sold a single bottle to a straight man today.

Sure, I'm in San Francisco and we do things a little differently here (including cologne launches), and I'd assume that, at least around here, way more gay men than straight men wander through the Bloomingdales perfume department, but I'd assume this is a planned promotional event put together by Marc Jacobs and Bllomingdales and they're doing the same in NY and LA, but I can't imagine them pulling this off in Kansas or Texas. OK, maybe Houston...
    'Bang Boys' ((giggle))

Well, I stopped in again for another application. I mentioned to the SA how Alan Alda in a cardigan would have been a more congruent ad than a glistening naked MJ. "Yeah? Who's Ellen Aldon?" I must admit, the scent is growing on me. I'm going to try out some PdN scents first, but if nothing tickles my fancy, I think a small bottle of Bang might be in order.
    Last edited by adonis; 2nd August 2010 at 04:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Well, I stopped in again for another application. I mentioned to the SA how Alan Alda in a cardigan would have been a more congruent ad than a glistening naked MJ. "Yeah? Who's Ellen Aldon?" I must admit, the scent is growing on me. I'm going to try out some PdN scents first, but if nothing tickles my fancy, I think a small bottle of Bang might be in order.
    Ah, gotta love those SAs.

I am interested in what others think about MJ's angle on this marketing thingee for Bang. My take is that this is kind of 'tongue in cheek' and a subtle slam at the ridiculous nature of Tom Ford's advertising. I just can't believe that the ad for MJ was done in a serious light but to make a light hearted point of the finger at ole TF.

Ah, gotta love those SAs.

I am interested in what others think about MJ's angle on this marketing thingee for Bang. My take is that this is kind of 'tongue in cheek' and a subtle slam at the ridiculous nature of Tom Ford's advertising. I just can't believe that the ad fo MJ was done in a serious light but to make a light hearted point of the finger at ole TF.
    I've been thinking about the marketing angle quite a bit because I worry about it hindering Bang's opportunity for success. Like rogalal stated above at the Boston Bloomie's you were met with a lifesize poster of the oiled-up Marc Jacobs. I would've loved to had the time to sit close by and observe how that was received by the typical Bloomie's shopper.
    Jock I think you are bang-on when you point out that this is MJ's tweak at TF but I wonder how many people get the joke outside of NY, LA, and SF. I bet here in Boston there are few who can make the connection. In that case is there a quieter way to get people to try this new and unusual fragrance without having them respond to the imagery. Time will tell.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I've been thinking about the marketing angle quite a bit because I worry about it hindering Bang's opportunity for success. Like rogalal stated above at the Boston Bloomie's you were met with a lifesize poster of the oiled-up Marc Jacobs. I would've loved to had the time to sit close by and observe how that was received by the typical Bloomie's shopper.
    Jock I think you are bang-on when you point out that this is MJ's tweak at TF but I wonder how many people get the joke outside of NY, LA, and SF. I bet here in Boston there are few who can make the connection. In that case is there a quieter way to get people to try this new and unusual fragrance without having them respond to the imagery. Time will tell.
    I agree with everyting you have said. I think it is a risky move for MJ to take. Outside of the gay community, and those fashionistas in the know, nobody will understand the angle of the ad. I just hope that in most markets, the ads will focus on the bottle or only show MJ from the shoulders up. This will not play well in Peoria.

And I just have to say; oil and skin and strategically placed bottle aside, there is something disturbing about seeing middle aged men covered in youthful tattoos. It screams of really trying to hard, but you see it way too often in the gay community. It is a double edged sword, because we worship the beauty of youth and too often become bad caricatures in a winless attempt to retain that youth at any price. Too bad. Rant Over!!!

I will receive my bottle this afternoon from UPS and am very much looking forward to wearing it this evening.

Blog Entries

I think....

(1) Yeah, he's funning Tom Ford
    (2) It's smart marketing, because he needs a daisy-cutter, if you will, to blow away the Daisy stuff which has damn near taken over his image.
    (3) It gets attention, and in this era where straight actresses can only get a rise from a gay kiss by doing it in an extra layer of jest, you need more firepower.

He seems like a risk-taker, and thank G_d, we need some. Daisy was almost too much of a risk the other way, but it paid off. Lola was a bit of a squib. This scent is risky, but that's what guys like him are for. Chanel can't do this stuff - they have gobs of historical baggage that factor into every decision to keep the image-palace walls from cracking. This scent strikes me like a too-sexy, too-violent art flick that makes decent coin and takes home a statue. It's OK that it's not Titanic, and maybe we should hope it's not going to be. If Bleu de Chanel sells better, and this one pleases us critics better, all is well.

I don’t share the worries about marketing using gay imagery being risky. I think that in most places in this country, any thing that launches in a “larger than life” way at local malls is going to inspire people to want it. Even blatantly homoerotic imagery a la Le Male I think is appealing to straight males as long as the images portray the beautiful, healthy, and wealthy. And to the women buying the frag for their boyfriends, forget about it, they’re all over the stuff if it’s new and glamorous.
    Fashion trickles down from Paris, New York, Milano et al to Middle America, and as long as the myth of glamour is intact, I think people will buy no matter how “outrageous”. My $0.02.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

I'm sure this is common knowledge, but I read that they have different ads to appeal to consumers that aren't on either coast. I don't even think they have Marc in them.

Got my new bottle last night and am blown away with Bang.
    To me it is Poivre Samarcande with a bit more wood (pine, cedar). I think I like this even more than Terre d'Hermes.
    I guess if I needed even more confirmation that I need Iso E super, this is it. Almost like Marc Jacobs designed this for me. Just awesome.

Longevity and sillage are fine for me too. I won't go on and on about it because I don't want to hype it any more than I and others already have. Just give it a shot if you love woody scents.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    I'm sure this is common knowledge, but I read that they have different ads to appeal to consumers that aren't on either coast. I don't even think they have Marc in them.
    There is a "tame" version of the ad with Marc in it.

Last edited by petruccijc; 3rd August 2010 at 01:12 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

And I just have to say; oil and skin and strategically placed bottle aside, there is something disturbing about seeing middle aged men covered in youthful tattoos. It screams of really trying to hard, but you see it way too often in the gay community. It is a double edged sword, because we worship the beauty of youth and too often become bad caricatures in a winless attempt to retain that youth at any price. Too bad. Rant Over!!!
    Marc Jacobs, former schlub, decided to channel his inner Amy Winehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Marc Jacobs, former schlub, decided to channel his inner Amy Winehouse.

I just spit a mouthful of Diet Pepsi on my computer screen and my co-workers gave me the WTF look!

I was going to seriously consider a bottle of Poivre Samarcande in Dallas later this month, but there is no need to clean up, comb the hair and slither into the Hermes boutique now. I get pleasant similarities to PS for 55$. Oh, I think the bottle is nice too. There is smoked glass on the sides so you can see the level of the juice; Nice and Heavy too. Kevin, Thanks for the laugh. I have one tattoo I will admit, but it is some place that only close, close friends will ever see.

Sur la Plage

I just spit a mouthful of Diet Pepsi on my computer screen and my co-workers gave me the WTF look!

I was going to seriously consider a bottle of Poivre Samarcande in Dallas later this month, but there is no need to clean up, comb the hair and slither into the Hermes boutique now. I get pleasant similarities to PS for 55$. Oh, I think the bottle is nice too. There is smoked glass on the sides so you can see the level of the juice; Nice and Heavy too. Kevin, Thanks for the laugh. I have one tattoo I will admit, but it is some place that only close, close friends will ever see.
    Thank you for showing it to me.

Basenotes Institution

Glad to see this is getting more love here on BN. I must admit I find Mr. Jacobs image and personality a little too 'look at me, look at me...I am so outrageous!!!' for my tastes, but I never allow the person's image to affect my interpretation of their fragrance.

A poor man's Poivre Samarcande? Really j_w_s? Wow. That's saying a lot. I love PS and I'm using my bottle judiciously as it will run out soon (Ray keeps wearing this a lot, when he grabs for something in my wardrobe too).

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Glad to see this is getting more love here on BN. I must admit I find Mr. Jacobs image and personality a little too 'look at me, look at me...I am so outrageous!!!' for my tastes, but I never allow the person's image to affect my interpretation of their fragrance.

A poor man's Poivre Samarcande? Really j_w_s? Wow. That's saying a lot. I love PS and I'm using my bottle judiciously as it will run out soon (Ray keeps wearing this a lot, when he grabs for something in my wardrobe too).

Well yes, a POOR MAN's Poivre Samarcande. It doesn't have the cumin of PS, but the wood, ISO, and pepper, patchouli and moss give me more than a passing nod to PS. I am thinking about grabbing a stick deodorant, and body wash for Bang too.

Also, I agree that Marc Jacob's current look is 'look at me', but like you I would never judge him personally or not buy his products because of it. In a way, I admire where he is at and salute him. He has fought addiction and is doing great, looking in great shape too. So yes, his 'look' for his age is maybe a bit much, but you know, he looks and sounds like he is enjoying life and that is what matters. He has definately come out with a fragrance I love, and I say thanks for that.

Is this only at Bloomies? I'm headed to the mall today and would like to try it. We have every dept store BUT Bloomingdales.

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC View Post
    Is this only at Bloomies? I'm headed to the mall today and would like to try it. We have every dept store BUT Bloomingdales.
    Yes, I think Bloomie's has the exclusive this month with wide distribution next month. I think Macy's is even getting this eventually. I question whether this will sell really well there though. This has a niche like quality to it, and there is no citrus to be found in this one up top. This could easily be an offeriing from CDG IMO.

I would also say that this offering doesn't smell like you are wearing fragrance IMO. Octavian talks about this.
    It smells of someone, it smells human somehow. Someone that maybe is wearing a shirt that came from a cedar chest where it is stored. You have been dancing with this person and reach over to tell them something in their ear while music is playing. You both are sweating just slightly, then you smell the person's neck, mixed with the smell of the sweater and of the slight smoke from the club...Maybe something like that, but it is an aura of a body definitely to me. Not animalic at all, just the haze around that person's space. This is sexy as hell to me. Not bad for 55$.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 3rd August 2010 at 07:03 PM.

Guess I have to sample this tonight after dinner...

I was going to seriously consider a bottle of Poivre Samarcande in Dallas later this month, but there is no need to clean up, comb the hair and slither into the Hermes boutique now.
    Sold!!

That is a perfect way to describe LiveJazz visiting a Hermes boutique: slithering and slinking, hoping to avoid steely glares. I love my PS sample, and would love to avoid paying $300 and subjecting myself to passive-aggressive eye daggers. Or maybe I was just imagining things...

Anyway, I am really excited for this one, guys...sounds like BANG is right up my alley. Too bad we don't have a Bloomies within 700 miles.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 3rd August 2010 at 07:22 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I agree EXACTLY with the way Jock_With_Scents feels about this. I tried it yesterday, got a sample and will be picking up a bottle in the very near future. Its hard to describe this one. Not "perfumey" at all, doesn't even smell like a cologne. Almost like it could be someone's natural BO, but in a good way. On me, I pick up slight wafts of the scent throughout the day, and it IS very light, but I have a feeling that other ppl that get close enough to me can still smell it. Def woody and peppery, with a decent amount of the Iso E Super that everyone keeps mentioning. I'm not familiar with many niche scents like those offerings from CdG, so I haven't really smelled too many scents like this. If a friend smelled this on you, I don't think their question would be "what cologne do you have on?" Its so light, they may not even comment, but I'm sure they'd be leaning in to get another wiff. Its a whisper of a fragrance, not a sledgehammer. I wish I had more words to describe this, but I don't. I just know its SO appealing to me in a way I don't understand.

Don't let the ads push you away, this one is worthy of a full bottle purchase IMO.

Wow - I am missing out here in Timbuktu. Bleu de Chanel everywhere, and not a drop of Bang or Aventus to be had.
    Interesting that you mentioned Timbuktu, as that's what instantly comes to my mind when I smell BANG. Nice enough, but totally a been there/done that kind of fragrance. Between the tacky ad campaign and the horribly cheap, gimmicky bottle design, this one should be a total SMASH HIT!

Interesting that you mentioned Timbuktu, as that's what instantly comes to my mind when I smell BANG. Nice enough, but totally a been there/done that kind of fragrance. Between the tacky ad campaign and the horribly cheap, gimmicky bottle design, this one should be a total SMASH HIT!
    You meanie!!!! Say you are sorry now!

By now, what fragrance that comes out is not a been there, done that fragrance? It has all been done! Most of what comes out is an inspiration or derivation of something else we can all pinpoint from the past offerings. I have only smelled Timbuktu once and this doesn't smell too much like it to me. For a Coty fragrance at a cost $55, what were you expecting, a fragrance miracle like none other before? Come on, you gotta give it some full wearings and look at the price point and the fact it is not like the Chanels of recent history.

At least give it the same chance (wear it) you would a new Lutens, Montale, or Amouage no if you are going to be so quick to pass critical judgement?

I feel as though I have become the hype master once again here because I love to communicate when something moves me. I have said enough and will leave it to others to judge for themselves. I hate being accused of hyping, so I will bow out on this thread. Peace.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 3rd August 2010 at 09:11 PM.

Blog Entries

LOL

Tsssk! YOU GUYS!

Seriously, this one may be using just as many old niche tricks as Bleu is using old mainstream tricks, but my lumberyard as still very interested in this additional piece of wood. I was just sniffing the woody accord in my OsMoz "Les coulisses du parfum" set, and that, too, is using the Timbuktu smoky cypress note, albeit with a slight twist that gives it more overt volume. Personally, I love Timbuktu, TdH, and Poivre Samarcande, with only a travel size of the latter. And I have to say that PS sometimes just comes just across a bit strong in the pepper. This could be a very welcome tweak of Poivre Samarcande. Sooooo.....

Perhaps this is a lighter PS with more of a Timbuktu woody accord - something like TdH with a backing off of the citrus on the top. Whatever this is, it sounds NEW in the mainstream, and like a must-have for the woodchucks.

I'm sorry, Barry. I deserve to be BANG-ed to death.
    While I'm at it, BANG also brings to my mind CdG's Zargosk.